Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A Pokemon RP set in an original universe

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

A Pokemon RP set in an original universe

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nonClemence on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:38 am

Hey. :] So would anyone be interested in a Pokemon RP set in an original universe?

I'd say a pokemon thought-experiment would be best suited to describe it. This is how I envisage the universe (it is a bit long, and i'm sorry for that >_<):

Pokemon: Symbiosis

Pokemon, even non-legendary ones, wield immense power. With the conscious ability to control elements and natural phenomena, they have inevitably shaped the world into one of extremes. Hostile deserts stretching across the horizon feed into stormy seas. Overgrown forests taper into icy mountain ranges. Volcanoes, tidal waves, earthquakes, and areas permanently covered in darkness. A human standing from a vantage point would see familiar geological and meteorological phenomena, but in an alien, inhospitable world.

The human habitable area occupied only a narrow band near the equator, where the power exerted by pokemon tended to reach an equilibrium.

However, humans had one thing pokemons did not: technology. Those first brave pioneers who ventured out managed to tame the pokemon, and in doing so, harnessed power. The ubiquitous mass-produced red and white pokeball is a descendant of this hundreds of years of tradition and technological perfection.

In this symbiotic relationship, Pokemon and Humans flourished--the former, with the humans' methodological training, were able to perceive the full potential of their power, and the latter, with the taming of the former, were able to expand their species throughout the globe, from the equatorial savannas to the polar tundras. Earth turned into a veritable paradise. Weather stabilized, and her temperate seasons became the spring, summer, fall, and winter as we know it today.

However, with this symbiosis, the prospect of global destruction became a reality. Where internal strife wracked the world of pokemon, battles amongst each other ensured equilibrium. Humans were then too sparse and spread out to make any difference. But under the humans, there was unity, and also power. And where there are both, there was greed and ambition. A sufficient amount of magnetons could permanently disrupt the Earth's magnetic field. Enough rock type or ground pokemon could destroy a continent. Even individually, each pokemon was a deadly weapon contained in a pocket device that fit a palm. The world was on the brink of warfare an imminent collapse.

In response to this, the Pokemon League, a global organization, was formed. It was decided that the ever present availability of pokemon made control of them impractical, and no one seriously entertained the costly and bloody idea of eliminating all the world's pokemon. How would one fight nature? Instead, it was decided that if one could not control the power, one could control how people treated power.

Thus was the birth of the Trainer.

The legend of the League Champion was created. Children from an early age were given pokemon, and were indoctrinated into battles. There were very specific rules. Lethal moves were prohibited, as well attacking other trainers, and in order to foster a taboo on killing, attacking other pokemon while unconscious was stricly forbidden. The penalty was a lifetime expulsion from the League.

The children were indoctrinated from an early age to look up to the glory of the League Champion. Even to be part of the organization of Elites was an honor. Thus, the tendency for violence was controlled--for they wanted glory too much too risk it all for petty outbursts. This went on for several decades. And once, more, as with the taming of the pokemon, there was stability and peace.

However, there grew a sect of Trainers, not wishing to be bound by the League rules. Called Team Circuit, they are rumored to contain numerous grassroots and Elite trainers, as well as a few in positions of high power within the League. Their goal is to free man and pokemon from their artificial hierarchy. Many hark back to the days of the early symbiosis--where humans and pokemons realized new avenues of power. And there is no telling what they may do to break the hegemony of the League.

Factions:
Trainers
League
Team Circuit
and possibly more, say, breeders or coordinators, or even poke-scientsts--it's quite open-ended.

As for the specifics,1 st gen to 5th gen pokemon are fair game. Regions will be original. As for battles-- they wouldn't be turn based as in the gamess, i.e.," Pikachu uses thunderbolt on Mismagius and removes 50 hp". (too mechanical, yeah?)--instead they'd be approached from a (quasi)realistic perspective, i.e., Pikachu releases a barrage of thunderbolts as Mismagius squirms in agony, sending paralyzing shocks throughout its ghostly equivalent of a nervous system. Poor Mismagius =(

And I have written in some tentative locations, more factions, and whatnot --it's decidingly non-canon, of course, and will flesh it out should sufficient interest motivate me to work on this ^^ Tell me what you think.
:3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

nonClemence
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: A Pokemon RP set in an original universe

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drake Nightwing on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Sounds kind of intriguing. I might be interested...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Drake Nightwing
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:48 am

Very nice.

I have always wanted to be in Pokemon RP, but non eseem like they would last more than a week or have the advanced feel I need to even consider joining.

However this idea looks to have some real original thought put behind it. Like a pokemon war or something. If you could make a bit more dark and realistic, I would be even more interested.

Either way, good job.

Question: Will original Pokemon be available. Meaning those that are not official Pokemon. Or just a picture of animal that we would want to say is a Pokemon? Long as they are within reason, that is.
Self Proclaimed, Master Realm Weaver: need help creating a RP? PM me!

Vivid-Minds; a society of sophisticated RPers and Roleplays. Join us?

...LIVE in your world, ROLEPLAY in mine...

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nonClemence on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 am

Oh, awesome, replies ^^

There would indeed be room for grittiness. It's all up to how you would make your character, and i'd certainly welcome that element if you can add it in.

I did briefly consider (and have some reservations) about putting in noncanonical pokemon. Mainly, I didn't want to alienate anyone due to unfamiliarity, and there would come a point where there are enough noncanon pokemon to make it not a pokemon rp but something like a cross-spawn with digimon or some other 'mon-type series o.o. As for the ecosphere of this world, there are enough pokemon to correspond to almost the majority animals and plants generally, so I would have enough material to work with. And it's sort of fun making preexisting pokemon fit unique conditions rather than solving them with brand new creations. I wouldn't want to restrict anybody's creativity though, so I would say yes, if you know what you're doing, and it fits in with the general theme of pokemon(ness). No pictures of animals though! Actually put in effort to create one. And i'd like to approve it first.

I shall continue working on this RP--expect it made in a day or two. ^^

nonClemence
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!