Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

"robinson crusoe" - a space adventure

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

"robinson crusoe" - a space adventure

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TomorrowsHerald on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:03 am

Hello too you all, thank you for taking the time to read my humble suggestions.

I am a bit of a classical reader when it comes to adventure and science fiction, Robinson Crusoe, Jules Verne, Lord of the flies, Wells, Clark Heinlein and Asimov among others. I can certainly can appreciate newer reincarnations of the Robinson Crusoe story such as Lost, but I find that I seek a classical "simpler" tale such as the old stories only with a twist.

I want to take the old stranded on an Island story and put it on an impossibly distant planet.

I have a few ideas regarding exactly how this story would look like, but I find that I do want some innocence in the story and not a completely adult setting - a means to reattach to the classical theme of the genre, namely the establishment of "civilization" even in the most remote and uninhabited places known to man.

Currently here is my idea so far:

The story is about a group of teenagers who's ship is propelled by an unknown phenomena into regions of space far beyond what is currently humanly capable. I have not made up my mind if these teenagers are the equivalent of a future "Class trip" or if they are the survivors of a desperate gambit to take them out of human space before a crushing attack by a sinister force. suffice to say, when the ship exits it's frenzied passage back to normal space it is damaged and out of control, weather the teenagers crash land with the ship or escape in escape pods is undecided. Regardless of these variations, the teenagers find themselves on a distant world with no knowledge of exactly how or where in space. The teenagers must adapt to an alien world teaming with it's own range of dangers and opportunities for them to explore, while also creating a society which will ether survive, thrive or perish depending on the decisions and actions of the players and characters.

I will create a lore surrounding the story as well as the planet once I create the roleplay, world building is both a talent and a passion of mine but I am open and would be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Expressions of endorsement of the idea and interest in joining once it is established are much appreciated.

For the benefit of familiarity, I shall name examples to what I have in mind as the different ranges in theme in this story:

Two Years' Vacation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Years%27_Vacation

An adventure novel by Jules Verne, published in 1888. The story tells of the fortunes of a group of schoolboys stranded on a deserted island in the South Pacific, and of their struggles to overcome adversity. In his preface to the book, Verne explains that his goals were to create a Robinson Crusoe-like environment for children, and to show the world what the intelligence and bravery of a child was capable of when put to the test.

Lord of the Flies - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies

Lord of the Flies is a 1954 dystopian novel by Nobel Prize-winning English author William Golding about a group of British boys stuck on an uninhabited island who try to govern themselves with disastrous results. The book indicates that it takes place in the midst of an unspecified nuclear war. Some of the marooned characters are ordinary students, while others arrive as a musical choir under an established leader. The book portrays their descent into savagery; left to themselves in a paradisaical country, far from modern civilization, the well-educated children regress to a primitive state.

Children's Island - no Wikipedia link found

In England during World War II, two brothers, Stanley and Tommy, roughly fourteen and nine, grow a bit tired of being bombed, write a letter to the American president requesting that they and other British children be sheltered in the U.S.A. Thanks to the President's grandson, twelve year old William, the idea is accepted, but Stanley and Tommy's boat is attacked by a German submarine before it can ever reach shore. The lads plus nine other children then find themselves alone on a deserted island, and they there slowly establish a small society with their combined talents. In the meantime, William is determined to find the missing kids, even though all the adults around him consider them dead.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TomorrowsHerald
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings World Builder Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: "robinson crusoe" - a space adventure

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby El_Gringo on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:59 pm

I would certainly have interest in a RP along these lines.

I'd like more detail on what you mean by not completely adult though.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

El_Gringo
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: "robinson crusoe" - a space adventure

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TomorrowsHerald on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:47 am

You actually put me in a bit of a corner there, considering I named Lord of the Flies as a source of inspiration, I am certainly not closing the option of the story taking a turn to violence or disputes between the characters.

I probably did not use the correct term, what I mean is that I want to avoid blind survivalism, or put in a different way a pessimistic "dark" outlook on the story. Adult settings can be appealing for their realism, but as I see it modern stories of this genre seem to be rather bleak survival stories with a dark secret.I want this to be an adventure, a measure of romanticism of building a new civilization and a subtle childish fantasy of a life without adults - obviously that is not entirely realistic, which is why I want young teens as the cast for the story, I means to avoid an entirely adult outlook.

I want "the character" to be able to feel cold, frightened and helpless but at the same time awe a Sunrise of two suns on the horizon, carve out a flute from an alien version of bamboo or enjoy jumping into a river with his friends who are just as frightened and helpless as he is, but can see the joy's of life.

I am not entirely sure exactly what will be the background of the story, so far I have several thoughts that players on the chat helped me think over but I welcome any suggestions.

1) A direct insert from "two years vacation", one of the character's parents is a wealthy cooperative executive and he offers his children and some of their close friends the services of a small leisure cruise ship for the summer holiday's. The characters board the ship via an orbital station a few day's before departure, before the arrival of the crew, exited about the trip and fall asleep in their cabins. When they wake up, they find themselves in unknown space and their ship being struck by a hail of meteorites. A few of the older children who have been on trips such as this before manage to establish a limited control over the ship, they then land the ship on a "green planet" with conditions suitable for human habitation. The spaceship is too badly damaged for travel and children do not have the knowledge or the material to fix it, they use the ship as their temporary habitation as they set out to explore their world. Note that in this setting eventual rescue is possible.

2) A storyline inspired by Children's Island, the characters are on board a transport ship taking away from a war zone to the safety of ether a neutral power or a larger more powerful population center. weather the assailants are aliens or other humans I have not really decided, regardless the ship is hit badly and falls apart. dozens of life pods are launched from the crippled ship, some are stricken by derbies and are forced down towards a nearby planet . There are several directions this story could take, if the belligerents are human maybe the children are lost in the chaos of that war or subsequent searches locates some of the remaining pods but not the ones which crashed on the planet. Of course, the enemies could be alien as well.

3) A colonial ship, launched late in our century, with the intention of colonizing a relatively close by star system encounters a phenomena which causes the ship to go off course and propels it into unexplored regions of space. The colonists spend decades, if not centuries in their hibernation pods beyond what they where supposed to forcing the computer to cut power from the pods of most of the adult colonists in order to save power. The computer is programmed to keep essential personal alive but is barred from removing power from any of the pod's housing the children. The computer awakens the ship's captain, who's children are also passengers on the ship. The computer requests permission form the captain to cut power from some of the children pods, but the captain refuses to allow it fearing for his own kids. Instead, the captain holds a meeting with the remaining adults in which they decide to reprogram the computer to kill even the essential personal if it means keeping the children alive and create a new subsystem for the computer which could watch over them should they find a planet to call their own. The computer follows these commands, and by the time it finally finds a planet with the necessary conditions all the adults are dead. The ship's automated systems make planet fall and revive the children.

4) A group of children on a class trip in the 21st century are kidnapped by aliens and are left on a world untouched by any civilization. The children are not given any equipment beyond what they had taken for the trip, and wake up on the world with only scattered memories of the abduction. The aliens will be observing the children's progress, occasionally intervening in someway but never specifically for the children's benefit. Even if the aliens give the children useful objects of a beneficial nature, these are given out of the requirements of the unknown experiment and not any concern for their welfare. This operation is a social experiment, the aliens probably have several control groups of people, maybe on the same planet or maybe on different ones. I do not think the aliens will make any experiments of a surgical nature, in this story at least the aliens have already gathered all the information they need from such experimentation decades and maybe centuries ago.

TomorrowsHerald
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings World Builder Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!