Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Souls

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Souls

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Do they exist? I see no evidence for them.
Alternative roleplaying forums, chat, and Etherpad

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Souls

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:55 pm

They don't exist.

If someone sees a ghost running or flying around, and their a religious nut, I'm sure they'll start saying "Oh, that's just so-and-so's soul that got stuck here." No its not. Ask any "ghost hunter" and they'll all tell you the same answer: Ghosts are nothing more than residual energy left over by a person's passing.

Same goes for those who are alive. ENERGY runs our bodies, not "souls".

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Macabre Legion
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sheoul on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:53 pm

The only thing I would call a soul is the energy that leaves your body when you die.

A conscious soul is a whole other thing that I've never seen any evidence for, so I can't say they exist.

Sheoul
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Macabre Legion wrote:They don't exist.

If someone sees a ghost running or flying around, and their a religious nut, I'm sure they'll start saying "Oh, that's just so-and-so's soul that got stuck here." No its not. Ask any "ghost hunter" and they'll all tell you the same answer: Ghosts are nothing more than residual energy left over by a person's passing.

What do you mean by 'energy'?

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sheoul on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Fallacy wrote:
Macabre Legion wrote:They don't exist.

What do you mean by 'energy'?

Legion may mean energy in a scientific sense. Our bodies are held together with energy. And, y'know, energy can't be created or destroyed, it has to go somewhere.

Or he means some stupid hippie nonsense.

Sheoul
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:52 am

Sheoul wrote:Legion may mean energy in a scientific sense. Our bodies are held together with energy. And, y'know, energy can't be created or destroyed, it has to go somewhere.

Less tact next time.

Energy can be created, just look at the electricity we use daily. Lightning is energy, which is derived from other energies within the air. That is created by others, and so on and so forth.

Within our bodies, energy is created after digesting foods needed to fuel or system. The greater the calories, the more energy you have, or the fatter you get. Depends on the person. Then there are Carbohydrates. This is sugar, another fuel which creates energy within the body.

So yes, it is a science, and yes, you can create energy.

Macabre Legion
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sheoul on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 am

Macabre Legion wrote:
Sheoul wrote:Legion may mean energy in a scientific sense. Our bodies are held together with energy. And, y'know, energy can't be created or destroyed, it has to go somewhere.

Less tact next time.

Energy can be created, just look at the electricity we use daily. Lightning is energy, which is derived from other energies within the air. That is created by others, and so on and so forth.

Within our bodies, energy is created after digesting foods needed to fuel or system. The greater the calories, the more energy you have, or the fatter you get. Depends on the person. Then there are Carbohydrates. This is sugar, another fuel which creates energy within the body.

So yes, it is a science, and yes, you can create energy.

Energy as defined by a nutritionist and energy defined by a physicist are two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Please, dude. Go read a book. Seriously.

Sheoul
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shané on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:54 am

Hey all. Just wanted to say, I definately believe in souls. Though probably not in the way you guys are thinking.
For me a soul is the essence of a person, there spirit persay...I do not believe in ghosts, for me if a person dies he or she's soul goes to one of two places: Heaven or hell.

Yeah I know, such a cliche, however I am a Christian (not Catholic, Anglocan etc. I go to a Baptist Church, incase you were wondering.). So yeah, those are my thoughts...
Shané

Shané
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 am

Shané wrote:For me a soul is the essence of a person, there spirit persay...

So, a soul is a spirit. That doesn't really clear anything up.

I do not believe in ghosts, for me if a person dies he or she's soul goes to one of two places: Heaven or hell.

I suppose you have some strong evidence for these beliefs of yours? (That we have immortal souls that live on in other dimensions after we die or some shit like that).

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sheoul on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Fallacy wrote:I suppose you have some strong evidence for these beliefs of yours?

I've been arguing this for the better part of my 18 years of existence.

They never have evidence. And they always believe they are right.

She'll just get all angry, shout at you, or be all patronising, and then leave. You'll see. But you won't get evidence.

Sheoul
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Sheoul wrote: Energy as defined by a nutritionist and energy defined by a physicist are two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Please, dude. Go read a book. Seriously.

Definition 1- Energy is the capacity of a physical system to perform work.

Definition 2- The strength and vitality required for sustained physical or mental activity.

Definition 3- In biology, energy is often stored by cells in biomolecules, like carbohydrates (sugars) and lipids. The energy is released when these molecules have been oxidized during cellular respiration. The energy released from them when they are oxidized during cellular respiration is carried and transported by an energy-carrier molecule called ATP.

There is not much difference here, other than in what capacity the energy has been stored. Be it biological, mechanical, etc, there is no difference in energy.

Macabre Legion
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:40 pm

.....There was a study done. They weighed people before and after death. Hypothetically, if you don't have a soul that leaves soon after death, you wouldn't lose weight when you died. They discovered the weight of the soul, and thus more or less proved it. Exact definitions differ, but it does exist.
"Meet me once again down off Lake Michigan where we can feel the storm blowing down with the wind. And don't apologize for all the tears you've cried. You've been way too strong now for all your life."-Closer to Love by Mat Kearney

jajganker
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm

jajganker wrote:.....There was a study done. They weighed people before and after death. Hypothetically, if you don't have a soul that leaves soon after death, you wouldn't lose weight when you died. They discovered the weight of the soul, and thus more or less proved it. Exact definitions differ, but it does exist.

Are you serious?

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Yes. That's what happens when you get your teacher to have some students prepare to debate whether or not gingers have souls. You can probably find the study online thanks to the internet. I'm pretty sure that's how he found it. Regardless, it's true because we are not allowed to compete with false evidence. Even if it is against other classmates as a weird class assignment. I lost, by the way. He argued shoes along with that.

jajganker
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 pm

jajganker wrote:Yes. That's what happens when you get your teacher to have some students prepare to debate whether or not gingers have souls. You can probably find the study online thanks to the internet. I'm pretty sure that's how he found it. Regardless, it's true because we are not allowed to compete with false evidence. Even if it is against other classmates as a weird class assignment. I lost, by the way. He argued shoes along with that.

Yeah, you're trolling.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:15 pm

http://www.noeticsciences.co.uk/weighti ... uman-soul/
There's an article.
I am not trolling. I am part of a high school competitive speech and debate team. We run drills to help build cases, flow, and otherwise compete properly. I can prove that people do compete in speech and debate if you don't believe that either. However, I do have evidence as seen above, and I promise I am not lying.

jajganker
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:25 pm

jajganker wrote:http://www.noeticsciences.co.uk/weighting-the-human-soul/
There's an article.
I am not trolling. I am part of a high school competitive speech and debate team. We run drills to help build cases, flow, and otherwise compete properly. I can prove that people do compete in speech and debate if you don't believe that either. However, I do have evidence as seen above, and I promise I am not lying.

I would figure that debate team members would know how to tell if a source is completely fucking bullshit.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:29 pm

http://lilt.ilstu.edu/kfmachin/foi/weig ... 20soul.htm
There's another source. Thank you very much.
http://www.dapla.org/pdf/whs.pdf
There's another.
Enjoy, and knock yourself out. I know the first one wasn't so believable or reliable, but I hope these suffice.

jajganker
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:39 pm

jajganker wrote:http://lilt.ilstu.edu/kfmachin/foi/weight%20of%20human%20soul.htm
There's another source. Thank you very much.
http://www.dapla.org/pdf/whs.pdf
There's another.
Enjoy, and knock yourself out. I know the first one wasn't so believable or reliable, but I hope these suffice.

The first link is just the same bullshit, and the second one just seems to be a more detailed version. They all seem to be variations on this.

Fallacy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hyuuu on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Guys, saying that souls don't exist based on the fact that there is no evidence is called the fallacy of appealing to ignorance. It doesn't sound like you guys are debating at all. It sounds like you are just bashing others for showing evidence of their belief. Expand on the idea and provide evidence yourselves as to why they do not exist

Hyuuu
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!