Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A suitable machanic

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

A suitable machanic

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheHulkUniverse on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:59 am

I'm having a hell of a time trying to come up with an RPG mechanic that would work for what I have in mind, but I'm not familiar with many RPG's. I can really use some help with this, Ive been trying for days, coming up with nothing. Here is the idea behind my RPG forum. Hero's and villains find themselves stripped of their identities and powers, they wake up in another dimension..trapped. An old enemy of the combined forces of the X-Men, Avengers, and the Fantastic Four, has apparently returned. I'm looking for a way that the players would regain the abilities that have been taken from their characters a little at a time. Baically it would as if they are collecting points, but info and abilities instead, in order to biuld up thier superhero character. To learn thier identites and to defeat whatever is holding them there.....What sort of game mechanic would work for this?

thank you
Last edited by RedRaine on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to comply to the rules.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheHulkUniverse
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: A suitable machanic

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheHulkUniverse on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:25 am

To clerify, Im looking for a non dice roll machanic on this

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheHulkUniverse
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Can you modify it so that posts give people points that can then be used to purchase abilities, strengthen current stats and so forth? If you're worried about people just spamming to get powers you could always turn off the mechanic in specific forums, and as for balancing the rate at which you gain abilities have them work on tiers. Tier 1 requires 500 points, Tier 2 requires 2000, Tier 3 5000, and so forth. That's the only mechanic I can see where people are rewarded based on their activity which would make your long lasting active players the stronger, and you're newbie spambots worthless.

Leli
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheHulkUniverse on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:14 am

I do thank you for the suggestion but thats all way over my head head :) Could you explain purchasing stats etc. I was thinking of just having it as an arbitrary decision on my part, handing out abilities so forth based on achieving the required 2 paragraphs limit, which would help cut down on one liners, spelling, well written posts, basic stuff like that, but I'm not sure if that would be acceptable as a role play machanic.

TheHulkUniverse
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:11 am

Well it all depends whether or not you can get a point system for your forum. If you can then you can set it so that for every post a person earns a certain amount of points, we'll use 5 for simplicity. Now as they post throughout roleplays they'll gain points, the number steadily increasing until they reach a certain number. At that point they can ask for an ability or information. All you do is go through your administration panel and take away their points, and then presto they can have the ability. I'm not sure if you'd be using a character per account system, though for the idea you have I think it'd be best not only for the sake of simplicity when writing, but also to the ease of the system I suggest. Again though, only a suggestion.

Leli
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheHulkUniverse on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 am

How would I go about finding somethin like that? What exactly is it, added on to a forum, a separte page?

TheHulkUniverse
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheHulkUniverse on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:59 pm

I finally found what Ive been searching for

http://support.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... read=70408

The problem, how is this suppose to be used? it counts posts/points/stats for rpg, that part is fine....but its counting all posts rpg or not, is there anyway to modify it to activate only at a certain time/point.

TheHulkUniverse
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!