Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Nebula's Dawn: F.S.S. Salient

Technology Specifications

a part of “Nebula's Dawn: F.S.S. Salient”, a fictional universe by VindicatedPurpose.

Nebula's Dawn Series Part I: A state of the art ship crewed with greenhorns and raw meat is led by an experienced sea dog on its maiden voyage. [Complete]

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Nebula's Dawn: F.S.S. Salient”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Technology Specifications

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Re: Technology Specifications

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:48 pm

So this area is for technology specifications, if you have any questions or postulations regarding technology and equipment post them here.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TKDJ on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:31 pm

So i'm making a character to join your role play and i was wondering if com gear implanted into my brain is acceptable?

TKDJ
Member for 12 years
Author Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TKDJ on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:45 pm

I just wanted to use them so i could communicate without a walkie talkie, cell phone or whatever we use. so i could get information around faster.

TKDJ
Member for 12 years
Author Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:03 pm

I mean, there are wrist communicators too, it isn't bulky equipment.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:40 am

I am still unsure what roll to take (Navigator or Android)

How would navigation function in the role play? and the same qwestion about androids.

EDIT: I might go more in the direction of a gunship pilot because its better suited for the character i have in mind. Is there anything i need to know about Gunships and piloting?

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Colonel_Masters wrote:I am still unsure what roll to take (Navigator or Android)

How would navigation function in the role play? and the same qwestion about androids.

EDIT: I might go more in the direction of a gunship pilot because its better suited for the character i have in mind. Is there anything i need to know about Gunships and piloting?

Well my original intention was to have navigators pretty much steer the ship, meaning the routes/paths to the destination which is given by the Admiral. Navigators are pretty much the first line with AIs serving as fail safes or vice-versa, should one fail the other can take its place. The Androids (along with the AIs) are currently the only non-human crew members on board. However, androids can play almost any role on the ship excluding the singular spots of Admiral, Second in Command, and Planetary Commander. Androids can be soldiers, scientists, pilots, doctors, medics...etc. The androids have a large spectrum when it comes to appearances. They can look human or similar to the full metallic carapace of the terminator robots with glowing eyes and etc. I haven't decided on the AIs, but I'm thinking of allowing them a free range when it comes to personalities (arrogant, logical, child-like, father-figure) you get my point. Gunships are pretty much like dropships but with armaments, they're equipped with fast strike maneuvers and hot spot deployments. As for piloting, you'll have to do your research on that part, Colonel.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncertainly on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:52 pm

I feel compelled to ask, as its probably going to come up with anyone using a computer.

Do we have ansible technology yet?

Uncertainly
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:53 pm

I really doubt we have ansibles. 2093 is a bit too early for me.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncertainly on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:31 pm

Doubt we have them... But we probably need them. The Federation has a lot of planets, and they're awfully spread out to have no easy method of transportation between them. In the time it takes to send a message from earth, a fringe planet could have fifteen revolutions on it.

And. It may not be important or impossible to fix but... We already have a quantum computer for the ansible network.
His name is A.D.A.M.

Uncertainly
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 am

A.D.A.M should theoretically be able to use one and code messages to it but without the proper broadcasting system and other technical details it doesn't really matter

Nekohina
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncertainly on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:00 am

Well then I have a proposal. A.D.A.M. has been built, so the technology exists. But he is new, so the technology is new.

What if the scientist we bring aboard is the ansible technician?

Uncertainly
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am

Actually, that would be a technician. The scientist should have credibility in a certain scientific field like Chemistry, Biology, Astrophysics, Geology, Paleontology, Anthropology...etc. This requires somebody who is a super buff in one of those categories to help pull off such a character.
Last edited by VindicatedPurpose on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 am

I'm a double major in Chemistry and Mathematics with a minor in Biology and virtually majoring in Physics as well due to the class synergy of Chem and Math. I can drop A.D.A.M since as an AI he's technically everywhere in the ship and people can customize his interactions with him. Yes I know this is impossibly ironic and waay to convenient, I'll probably be laughing at this for like an hour or so

Nekohina
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncertainly on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 pm

You're joking right? It's an experimental technology. To even understand what happens in the machine would take more years of study than a technician works in his career. Hyperbole I know, but you would need to know your quantum mechanics to do the job. Ansible technician is probably a physicist.

Dropping A.D.A.M to be a scientist? xD Well, if they're using him as a computer sure, but if he's a character someone should be writing for him, yeah?

Uncertainly
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Figured I'd put the option on the table if the event was truly necessary.

Nekohina
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Well, why don't you come up with a physicist, Uncertainly? As for A.D.A.M., he's accessible to all crew members on board the ship and off the ship through communications, so everyone can pretty much write in dialogue for him. What I am worried about though, is everyone has a different take on his manner of conversing. If Neko is going to drop him, then we need somebody who can follow up with the way Neko has written for A.D.A.M. Although I find that to be a bit unnecessary since A.D.A.M. is becoming an important character in my mind, plus Uncertain can double as a physicist as well thereby answering the the problem. As for technicalities, you can pretty much check in with Neko...our resident crack physicist for information and details.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:28 pm

I agree A.D.A.M. is a bit too important to drop. It was just a suggestion, in case scientists were desperately needed and you didn't want any triple rollers. I've probably got enough connections to help fill in everyone enough to play their respective field if we decided to mass dual role scientists

Nekohina
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DustAndEchoes on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:24 pm

I've only got one toon, I can do a second. I'll work on it a bit as soon as I can; tonight is movie night. :D

DustAndEchoes
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Special movie?

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!