Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Beginnings of a Roleplay

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

The Beginnings of a Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wolven Warrior on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:38 am

The need to begin a roleplay has gripped me once more, and so I began to create the world in which it will be set. That is all that is included in this first post, as I would appreciate any input on what roleplay would suit the world I have created. I am hopeful of creating a series of roleplays based in this world, which is the main reason why I am posting the description of the lands I have created here before having created the actual idea for a roleplay. I have not yet thought of a name for this world, so I will simply refer to it as "the world".
----------------------------------------------------

The World is immersed in all shades of colour imaginable. The deep, rich red light of the closest star bathing one side of the planet in light, while the other side is left in permanent darkness. The greens of the forests, tinged red, then down below the foliage the plants and animals, these ranging from black to bright yellow, every colour imaginable present. The deserts, vast expanses of orange sand, home to only a few creatures which are for the most part coloured the same as their surroundings. Black spears of rock seeming to grow out of the ground, some easily topping one thousand metres in height, while the tallest are five times that size. Grassland is another of the terrains, most either light yellow in colour or in one place the darkest of blues, the result of a rare species of animal living in the area, their droppings holding the nutrients the grasses feed on.

There are races too numerous to count, and yet some of these nations are so remote they do not know that there is even one other race apart from their own. Such is the size of the two land masses, separated by a maze of rivers, connecting for a few miles, then splitting, weaving together like vines using the same tree to support their growth. At no one point is this line completely disconnected. At times it is only thirty miles wide, a single body of water where the rivers all connect. The split is not between the side in perpetual darkness and the side forever tinged red by the glow of a star. It does not split in any certain way, the line meandering along the surface of the world, sometimes dipping down into the darkness, before changing direction completely and almost encircling The World before curving back round once more.

The landscape is fairly similar on the darker side of the world. What differs is the plants and animals, as they have different capabilities to cope with the darkness. Some have the ability to see in the darkness, while others are blind, while the other senses are far superior to other creatures with the ability to see. This land may sound like a kill or be killed place, but in fact most of the animals there are herbivores, only a very small percentage feeding on other animals. The races present on this side of the world is just as great as on the side bathed in light.

Some of the races have travelled over the divide to the landmass away from their homeland, while at the same time many are not even aware that there are two seperate land masses at all. Many have died attempting to cross the border, thinking they saw lands which suited their every need on the other side. What they see is not in fact there, it is the result of the fumes given off by the rivers. The sediment in the bottom of the rivers gives the water this quality, causing the person who breathes in the fumes to see whatever it is they desire most. This has caused the loss of many lives, the most extreme case being when the leader of a race of people tried to lead his entire nation across the river, only for the entire fleet of boats to sink. The only survivor of the crossing was a young child. He was eaten by a dog two days later.

How developed the races are varies greatly. Some have great cities built of stone, while others are still living in caves, scratching sticks together in an attempt to create fire. Some races have many people, while others have less than a thousand, a fledgling race. Or a dying one. There have been few wars between the different races. Most wars would be caused by the lust for more land, and there are thousands of square miles of unpopulated land. The few wars were caused by one race insulting the other, often by mistake due to the races speaking in a different language. One tribe asking another if they could cut down trees surrounding their camp started one such war, which has been raging for several hundred years. Unfortunately in the language of the other race this was a dreadful insult, and so the war began, neither side particularly wanting to be involved. Other than these rare cases, wars between different races are uncommon. Wars between different groups of the same race however are fairly commonplace.

-----------------------------

That is all I have for now. I am leaving it fairly loose, so the roleplay(s) set in this world continue to develop it rather than it all just being there straight away. Any suggestions for a roleplay set in this world are welcome.
Last edited by Wolven Warrior on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humanity is far too concerned with the meaning of life and not nearly concerned enough about the experience of it."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Wolven Warrior
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: The Beginnings of a Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby story gatherer on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:27 am

This is amazing. I'm very occupied with some other stories, right now, or else I'd be in, hook, line, and sinker :D. I really like the writing; it's bare of specifics and rich in descriptive feel :D...definitely a great piece :D :D

Keep on chuggin', this seems really legit :D

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

story gatherer
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:55 am

I like it Wolven. The idea of this world seems like you definitely could create a number of different roleplays based in it.

At the moment I have a lot on in terms of threads. Currently 5 active roleplays though 2 are still in OOC stage, but I can see that this would take some planning anyway to come up with roleplay ideas for this world and to get people on board. So, while I'm in other roleplays I'd definitely be up for helping out in this and try to come up with roleplay ideas for it.

I could definitely see a roleplay set on this world of how people have adapted to live on each side of the world though. I recently took a module at university to do with sleeping patterns of animals and though I didn't listen to it much, (which was a horrible idea and I should have), if animals mess with the body clock, and are in 24 hours of light for a long time, then it severely messes up their system whereas been in the dark 24/7 doesn't. (Note: I could be wrong on some of that and will have to look it up again).

But, what would be interesting for a roleplay idea might be something along the lines of their being three groups of humans in this world, maybe three different species of humans as it could have got to the point where humans diverged in evolution to the point where each type can't reproduce successfully with another type to create mixes. Or they could be races where they can. It could then be the same for all species in that world then, having three different types.

I could see one set been in the dark all the time, one been in the light all the time and then a middle group that is going in and out of light and dark where it borders.

Sorry if I've gone too scientific on it all. I never meant to v.v; I just got a little carried away once I started writing. But it's just an idea from a scientific point of view and a potential idea for a roleplay in your world that you've created.

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wolven Warrior on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:09 am

Thankyou both for your comments.

A roleplay based around the fact that one side of the world is dark and one is light would probably work well I imagine, as it is a distinctive part of the world. The change is not instant, the light fades slowly, going into twighlight before there is complete darkness. I think the key thing is deciding upon one point of the world to focus on, e.g an area in twighlight, near the river and comprises of desert and grassland.

One idea is this:

The river not only gives off fumes which makes the person hallucinate what they wish for most on the other side of the river, but if the sediment from the bottom is consumed what the person most desires is given to them, or they are given the means to get what it is they desire most. The plot would be based around either A/ someone who desires to rule over all the people of the world, or B/ someonewho needs the sediment as someone close to them is dying. There would need to be a major twist to the plot however, as otherwise the roleplay with be the old storyline of someone going on a quest to find something, or trying to stop someone getting somehing to rule the world. So those ideas would have to be majorly changed, with only the very basic idea used so that the plot isn't very similar to every other quest roleplay out there.

Another one could be a group journeying into the darkness/light, because of war with another group in the area. Then the roleplay would be more about how they adapt to cope with the different light levels. It could perhaps be that they do it in stages, so it is almost following the evolution of a species. In that case each person would take the role of a line of characters from the same family, in different stages of the evolution. For that we would need a set amount of posts allowed per person for each stage of the evolution, before I made a summarising post that let us move on to the next stage.

Feel free to post any ideas of your own.

Wolven Warrior
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!