Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Cutthroat World of Harvard University

a topic in Realistic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based on the real world, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

The Cutthroat World of Harvard University

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:31 am

Welcome to Harvard University

Where students compete to be the best and will do anything they can to get to the top.

This RP is OPEN and I'd love for each and every one of you to join me!

I'm going to try something new for this rp in hopes that people want to join. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Harvard University, founded in 1636, is home of roughly 7,000 undergrad students. It offers students one of the best college educations in the world, prestigious clubs, competitive athletics, a place to rub elbows with the world’s intellectual elite, and practically a guaranteed job after graduation. It also offered students the most stressful few years of their lives. Harvard was no joke and it meant business. Students who graduated from Harvard went on to bigger and better things. Past graduates include a few of the founding fathers, Yo Yo Ma, Natalie Portman, and T.S. Eliot. The list goes on and on. Somewhere across this university, there was another future notable. But who could it be? Could it be you? Life will pan out and we will see.

Rules:
1) Be nice.
2) Ask to join, please.
3) Literacy is your friend, type well.
4) Please, do not throw in random, outrageous plotlines. If you want to, just message me and ask.
5) That is all. Now have fun!

Tonight is Friday night, the night for everyone to relax a little and de-stress from the past week. At an off campus house, the party was happening. It was only the second major party of the semester and it was already pretty crowded but it had not gotten out of hand yet. Are you into the party scene or will you blur into the background?
Last edited by theghastlypirate on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Welcome to Harvard University

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:35 am

Name: Lane Cleese
Year in School: Sophomore
Major: Double Major in Computer Science and Mathematics
Lifetime Goal: Create a World Wide Web empire.

*Click* *Click* *Clack* *Backspace, backspace, backspace* *Click* *Click*
His fingers flew as he typed away on his laptop, a frustrated look overtook his face as he backspaced and erased his embarrassing mistakes. He exhaled loudly, spinning around in the wooden swivel chair. He stopped. Typing a few more lines of code, he ran a hand through his already messy brown hair. His dark green eyes darted around the screen and did not even leave the screen to glance at the steady flow of students who were leaving or entering the library. People were staring at him, the kid who typed away on his laptop, the kid with no friends, the kid who sat alone, the kid with the mess of curly hair, the kid who took himself way too seriously.

Suddenly, his fingers stopped pounding away on his laptop’s keys. He slid lower into his chair and leaned back, a defeated look upon his face. He cussed under his breath and slammed his laptop shut, admitting defeat to the string of code on his screen. It was a worthy opponent. For someone who had admitted he was wrong only about five times in his life, this was huge. Ever since he was a kid, the answer was just always there. Things came easily to him. Though his family was not financially well off, he sailed through school which landed him a nice spot at Harvard.

He was now in his second semester of his sophomore year at Harvard and things were going smoothly until about five minute ago when some code stumped him. He was working on a project for his Algorithms at the Ends of the Wire class but he had hit a wall. Tonight just wasn’t his night. How could it be? He was going off of two hours of sleep and about six cups of coffee. Now on this Friday night, he was sitting in the library, at an empty table. He glanced around, it was the only empty table in the library. This wasn’t unusual, he didn’t have very many friends.
He was somewhat pompous regarding his own intelligence and people knew that. He made it perfectly clear to his professors and classmates that he was better than they were.

He knew more than they did. He could probably count the number of true friends he had on one hand due to his attitude. But he was the great Lane Cleese, sophomore, double major in Computer Science and Mathematics, and held a 4.0 GPA. Or this is what he thought about himself. Truth be told however, all of his good qualities were overshadowed by the fact that he was a social outcast. Lane could be characterized in just a few words: Arrogant, awkward, fast talker, and intelligent. For him, college was not about finding out who he was or to meet new people. He already knew who he was and he didn't care about meeting new people. Much like Harvard, Lane was strictly business. He wore his usual collar button-up shirt, today it was white, with a blue sweater pulled over it and the collar sticking out. He paired it with dark jeans and brown dress shoes. His outfit of choice fit his personality. An arrogant business man.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Re: The Cutthroat World of Harvard University

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:41 am

*buzz* *buzz*
Lane looked down at his phone, which was sitting on the table. He had a text message from one of his roommates: “Lane! I know you’re in the library, but you've got 2 come to the party!” Lane put down his phone with a sigh. He wasn't much for the party scene. He was always the one who quietly drank his drink on the porch, away from the people, away from the noise. His cell phone vibrated again. He didn’t bother to look at it, he knew that it would just be another text urging him to go. What the hell? He wasn’t doing anything productive right now. He put his laptop away in his khaki canvas messenger bag and slung it over a shoulder. He made his way to the party, entering the house. The yelling and the music weaved together and Lane’s ears buzzed as he grabbed a drink.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:31 am

Sorry if this is annoying but do you mind if I join?

Here's my character bio

Name: Blair Daniels
Year in School: Freshman
Major: Journalism
Lifetime Goal: To be successful and to finally live up to her parents standards

She sat in the corner relatively quietly, this party was too loud for her. She had been to some pretty crazy parties back home but even this one was too loud for her. She pulled her phone out sighing as there were no new messages. She looked around hoping to find her room mate who she didn't know had long since abandoned her for a Lacrosse player and one of the upstairs rooms. She swirled the contents of her red plastic cup and downed the rest of it before standing up and scanning the room spotting once again where the drinks were kept. She walked over to the keg grabbing herself another beer and looking around nervously.
She honestly wish she'd just stayed in her dorm room.

Blair wasnt the most social person here at Harvard, she had been very social back at home in New York City out clubbing or at parties most nights. She was down right uncomfortable being here at Harvard, this wasn't her type of college. She'd wanted to go to a party school, but no her parents had insisted on an ivy league if they were going to be paying for her tuition. So she managed to bring her dismal GPA up to a 4.0 to please them and choose the course they would hate the most considering her parents were in poltics. She chose Journalism knowing it would annoy them the most.

She was a loner here at Harvard the only friend she had made so far was her room mate, but even that friendship was questionable. She'd hardly been around the past few days so she'd been mostly hanging out alone in the dorm trying to get a start on her assignments. She'd wondered what had happened to the random fiesty girl who sat atop the social heap in high school only to be at the bottom of the social ladder at Harvard.

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:52 am

(Oh boy! Thank you so, so much for joining!!!!)

Grabbing the infamous red cup, Lane poured himself a cup a beer from the keg. He looked around, trying to find a spot that he could seclude to. Not paying attention, he began walking and bumped into a girl (Blair) who had approached the drinks. The beer sloshed over the edge of the cup and spilled on the floor. “Shit!” Lane gasp, apologizing nervously to the girl, “I’m sorry.” He hurried to try and get the mess cleaned up. He would be the one to do this, the one who spills his drink as soon as he gets to the party. Lane Cleese was socially awkward and he didn’t even know it.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 am

(Thats ok! Happy to join :) )

Blair looked down at the beer that had been spilt on the floor and grabbed a roll of paper towels that was on the counter ripping some off.
"Its ok relax dude you didnt spill any" she said with a friendly smile as she wiped up the spill.
"I've spilt worse on peoples $12,000 persian rugs" she said as she walked over to a bin dropping the paper towel in.
"Im Blair by the way" she said looking at the nervous boy. "What are you studying?" she asked as she sat herself up on the counter eyeing him up and down grinning a little. He was so nervous it was adorable.

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:24 am

“Persian rugs, eh?” Lane asked, “Now those are nice rugs.” God… Small talk wasn’t his thing. “Sorry… uh… I’m Lane,” he said over the loud music, “Computer Science and Math,” he answered, rubbing the back of his head. His answers were quick and sharp and he mumbled slightly. A few moments passed until he realized he was being a little rude, “What about you? What are you majoring in?” This was the general conversation each student had with each student they met. The ‘I don’t really care about you, I’m just making small talk,’ kind of conversations.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:30 am

"Journalism" she called back looking around the room.
"Do you want to go somewhere not so loud?" she asked hopping off the counter finishing off her beer.
"I could really use some fresh air and this isnt the best environment to get to know someone" she said zipping her leaher jacket up over the red corset she'd decided to wear. "I like getting to know people in places where I can actually make out what they're saying" she said laughing lightly staring at the seemingly socially awkward guy.
"You want to go grab some food I havent eaten since lunch and Im starving" she said nodding.
"You like pizza?" she asked him curiously.

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:35 am

Lane shrugged, “Yeah, I could go for some pizza.” He too finished his beer, surprised that someone had actually asked him to go do something. It was obvious this girl didn’t know him or else she would be miles away by now. “There’s actually a pretty good place just down the block from campus, we can walk.” He said, preparing to walk into the cold outside air by zipping up his black North Face and shoving his hands in the jacket’s pockets. He opened the door for Blair as they left the party and entered the calm outside.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:42 am

"So where are you from?" she asked him as they began to walk together.
"Im from New York City, its ....indescribeable" she said smiling as they walked side by side.
"If you haven't been there you should because its just amazing for the museums and art galleries alone.
"My favourite place is this comic book store though Forbidden Planet or something. Amazing selection there" she said with a nod.
"I'll have to take you there sometime"

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 am

Lane was surprised to find out that Blair was from New York City, “I’m actually from Amherst, New York, weird…” he said. Although he came from a small town, Lane tried to distance himself from his small town. He didn’t want to be the type of person who comes from a semi-small city. Surprisingly, Lane never was into comic books. He preferred sitting on the computer for hours figuring out programming and such. “Well, we’ll see about that,” he laughed softly. They had arrived at the pizza shop. It was locally owned and was a popular hangout but it was quiet tonight. "Go ahead and pick a seat," Lane said, motioning around the restaurant.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:04 am

Blair she went and picked a booth in the corner waiting for Lane to follow. She picked the menu up off the the table looking through it as he sat down.
"So....what kind of pizza do you want to get?" she asked slipping the menu over the table.
"Im not picky, so long as it has no anchovies those things are revolting" she said laughing.
"So are you a freshman?" she asked.
"I only ask because I havent seen you around campus at all I think I would have noticed someone as cute as you" she said flirting a little and smiling.

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 am

Lane followed Blair and sat in the booth. “I’m not that picky either. I usually get ham and sausage,” he said with a shrug. “I’ve never understood why anyone would eat an anchovy… Why would you eat something like that?” He chuckled. “Um, I’m actually a sophomore but I really don’t get out that often. If I’m not in my room, I’m either in the library or the lab.” It was tough for him to explain how much of a hermit he was. Wait, did he her hear right? She had said he was cute? He smirked, the corners of his mouth curled up into a smile.
(I think I'm gonna head to bed but I'll post tomorrow!)

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 am

"I agree whole heartedly with that" she said smiling. "Ham and Sausage we most definitely need those on our pizza. I couldnt stay here if you didnt like that" she joked smiling at his reaction to calling him cute.
"You look like a sweet guy" she said nodding. The type of guy who wouldn't want to date me she thought in her head maintaining eye contact with him. "Where do you live on campus which set of dorms?" she asked as she unzipped her jacket taking it off and laying it on the seat beside her.

(thats ok! :) )

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 pm

“Ham and sausage it is then!” Lane laughed nervously. “Uh… I don’t think I’m a sweet as I look,” he said. Lane knew who he was and how he acted. He knew he acted like a pompous jerk. “There’s a reason I always study alone,” he revealed, “And why I don’t have a lot of friends. Spend two hours with me, you’ll change your mind.” He nodded his head in affirmation.

“Uh, I live in Lowell House right now but I lived in Holworthy. What about you? And what classes are you taking?”

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:51 am

"Apley Court" she said nodding "And Im usually right about people" she said chuckling. "You seem like a good guy" she said as she got comfortable in her seat and sipped her coke looking around the room.
"Intro to journalism, news media, French and Politics" she said tilting her head to one side as she looked at him. "I figure I may as well study something thats interesting while Im here right?" she said smiling warmly.

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:19 am

“That’s one way to look at it,” Lane stated, “I have to admire you for take classes that interest you. A lot of students don’t’ do that.” Lane was one of those students. He liked computers. No, he loved computers. He spent practically all of his time on the computer doing something. Whether it was blogging (or rather cleverly ranting) about classes, professors, students, or just writing code, he was attached to his laptop. Lane was one of those people who took pure business classes. Nothing outside of the required classes. To him, those seem superfluous. “So… Why did you choose Harvard?” He asked. Most students who attended Harvard also had the choice of attending other schools like Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Colombia, and maybe even MIT.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:02 am

"Harvard was my parents choice" she said nodding. "I actually didnt want to go to Harvard" she said nodding.
"It was their alma mater so they had a want for me to go their you know?" she said nodding.
"Theyre in politics so its all about the family image I had to go to an ivy league or I had to be a robot copy of my mother and marry someone rich and stand and look pretty next to them for the rest of my life" she said rolling her eyes.
"So I chose the lesser of two evils, college at Harvard." she said as she thought about it.
"If I had my way I'd be going to Parsons, RISD or UCLA" she said nodding whilst thinking of all the applications her parents had forced her to throw out.
"Im into the fine arts I love to draw" she said with a casual grin

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theghastlypirate on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 pm

“You didn’t want to go to Harvard? Who doesn’t want to go to Harvard? That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard…” Lane said, shaking his head. There are hundreds of people who dream about going to Harvard and work their entire lives towards that dream only to be turned away. “So… How’d you do it?” He asked, “How’d you get into a school like Harvard?” He raised an eyebrow in question. How can someone who doesn’t care, get into Harvard? Lane had worked toward Harvard his entire life. Yes, school came easy to him, but he still worked hard to be successful. He was involved in several clubs in high school, graduated Valedictorian and studied constantly. Mediocrity wasn’t acceptable. He had to be better.

theghastlypirate
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mysticalkitten on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:55 am

"Well it wasn't easy. I bombed on my SATs so I had to retake them I ended up with a 2400" she said shrugging.
"And I spent a lot of time studying after that and well I did lots of charity work outside of school so that took care of my extra curricular activities.
"I wrote a good essay and they like me at the interview said I was refreshing from the typical applicants they got" she said with a shrug
"I alsao got accepted to Yale and Columbia, but I chose Harvard because my parents went here." she said nodding. In the end it all came down to making her parents happy. Deep down she just wanted them to be proud of her.

Mysticalkitten
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!