Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Immortal Curse

a topic in Vampire Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

The Immortal Curse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:41 pm

The stone corridor was dark save for a few flickering torches on the walls. Servants carrying bowls of fresh, hot water and clean rags hurried into the room, while maids carrying basins of bloody rags hurried out. The huge clock in the Great Hall began to chime, twelve deep, echoing tolls that marked midnight. Upstairs in the Bower, several people of importance were gathered round the young, beautiful queen, dying before their very eyes.

“She won’t make it much longer.” said Edmund, scrutinizing the pale queen with a distasteful air. He had his arms crossed over his chest, an impatient look on his face. While his queen lay dying, Edmund hoped it wouldn’t take too long. He didn’t want the night to drag on only because some incompetent wench refused to die. He had advised the King not to marry her, hadn’t he? From the beginning he hadn’t found the queen fit, yet the King had insisted. Love, he claimed. As if such a notion existed.

The queen’s beautiful face was contorted in agony as she writhed on the once white sheets. They were now stained a deep crimson from the blood she had already lost. Her loose, billowy white nightgown clung to her, equally saturated with blood. Edmund raised a gloved hand to his nostrils, offended by the scent of death and mortality.

“M’lord, shall I fetch the King?” asked a servant, an old woman with gray hair sticking to her face which was red from her efforts. Edmund waved a hand dismissively.

“I suppose. Fetch him. Tell him the queen shall not live to see morning.”

The servant hurried from the room, leaving Edmund alone with the queen. He approached the bed where she was breathing heavily, brow furrowed into a pained expression. Her long hair was clinging to her cheeks and her lips were pale. She looked up at Edmund with a sense of urgency.

“Please
” she begged, pausing as another contraction hit her. More blood gushed onto the bed and she sucked in a weak, broken breath. “Please E-Edmund. I beg of you. Make sure there is a place in the world for my child
”

Edmund looked away coldly, out the open doorway where he could hear the King’s hurried footsteps approaching. Her weak hand shot out, grasping his own, cold and clammy in his fingers. He pulled away from her, revolted.

“Please
 make sure.” she repeated. Edmund sneered.

“Of course the child will have a place on this Earth.” he told her quietly. In his mind, he revised his statement. The child would have a place in the earth, not on it. He would make sure the queen’s child was buried right along with her. The kingdom no more needed her brat than they needed her.

The King entered and Edmund looked up. “My Lord,” he said, bowing and fixing a troubled look on his face. “I’m afraid she hasn’t got much longer.”
Last edited by Monroe on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Monroe
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: The Immortal Curse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:15 am

The king had his head buried in his hands as he sat silently in a nearby room, a candle flickering dimly on the table. He had been up for hours, awaiting some update on how his beloved was coping. She had requested that he remain here. She was such a proud woman, not wanting him to see her in such a weak state. But deep down he knew that someone would be here to fetch him soon; for the news he would most certainly receive would be one of ill fate.

By the time the door finally swung open the candle was nothing but a melted pile of wax in the middle of the table, reflecting the hour of night. Staring into the flame had helped him pass time, but as it finally ceased to burn he was reminded of his queen. He stood silently as the servant addressed him, "M'lord, she is taking her last breaths..." With a nod he left the room, briskly making his way to the Bower, knowing now that each second drew her closer and closer to the abyss.

When he arrived his advisor Edmund was quick to greet him, although he hardly payed attention to a word that left his mouth. His gaze was fixated on his queen... his beloved... his wife. With a solemn look upon his face he rested by her side, murmuring under his breath, "Thank-you Edmund... for waiting with her." His attention was immediately turned back to that of the woman that lay dying on the bed. He took her hand in his own and kissed it gently, uncaring for the blood.

He shut his eyes in thought for a brief moment, before opening them again as she gasped at another contraction. "Hold on... I know you can do this. You've always been so stubborn, so strong... you need to hold on for the child." She grimaced before nodding her head just once, swallowing as she braced herself. A few of the servants came closer, knowing that this may just be the last one.

After spending several more moments by her side, whispering reassurances to her; the child was born. The queen was just able to see her baby girl's face before her grip on the king's hand loosened, and her head fell to the side. If not for the baby's constant crying the room would have been silent from grief.

The king held back tears as he looked towards his advisor, "Edmund... whatever shall we do?"
Last edited by ImmortalSin on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:41 am

The queen passed on into the next realm as the baby princess greeted the earth with a strong, healthy cry. A nurse maid hurried forward, taking the crying child and cleaning her off, then wrapping her tiny, perfectly formed little body in a warm blanket.

Edmund stared down at the queen’s lifeless body dispassionately and moved to lower her eyelids. “Rest in peace.” he muttered, but it was more for the King’s sake than the queens. Edmund didn’t care what became of her in the next life. He was a selfish, loveless man who only cared for his own advancement. This fact he kept well hidden from the King, who trusted him wholly as his advisor.

The maid was cradling the baby in her arms, looking down at the newborn princess with awe while another servant draped a clean white sheet over the Queen’s lifeless body. Edmund was unsympathetic, but he hid it well. In a graceful, sweeping motion, he moved forward, drawing the baby into his arms to inspect her.

Obviously healthy, he noted. Ten fingers, ten toes
 And an odd, star shaped birthmark on her hip.

“What shall we do?” he repeated, holding the baby at arms length, a distasteful look on his sharp, handsome face. Suddenly he turned, thrusting the babe into the King’s arms.

“My Lord, there is only one thing to be done.” he answered sternly. “The child must be disposed of. She is cursed; the very reason our dearly departed queen has passed on. We must never speak of what has happened here. We shall tell the kingdom the child died with it’s mother and both lay in god’s arms now.”

He looked down at the princess, then back at the King. “My Lord, this matter is most urgent. She must not be allowed to live. If she does, she shall only bring more bad luck unto your family. You are still young- you may take another wife, have other children.”

Edmund withdrew a long, sharp dagger from a fold of his robes, glittering silver and ruby at the hilt, a devilish weapon if there ever was one. “Take this, plunge it into her heart. Only then will you be free of her curse.”

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:32 am

The king shut his eyes, pressing his fingers to both of his temples as he tried to come to terms with everything that had just happened. His wife now lay at rest, under the crisp white sheet. But more importantly he had a child; a daughter, who needed proper care. Care that he felt he could not give. His servants could tend to her needs, but she would never know her mother, and her father would be too saddened each time he saw her - seeing everything he had lost each time he gazed upon his daughter's face. It was no way for the child to live.

Edmund finally replied, his voice firm, unwavering. It was just the type of security the king needed in this most depressing hour. He scowled just slightly when his advisor held the baby out as if it were some type of animal. She was abruptly pushed into his arms as Edmund came to his conclusion - kill the child.

Usually such a suggestion would have been punishable by death. Speaking ill of any royal was certainly not looked upon well. But at this very moment his words seemed to make sense, helping to un-jumble the tangled mess that was now the kings thoughts. The child had to be the reason... his wife had always been of good health, there was no reasonable explanation for why she could not have survived the delivery. Something else had to have caused this.

As his eyes wandered over the small child's form his expression darkened. His hand reached out to take the dagger. He tightened his grip on the hilt before frowning and looking back to the child just once, "I will do what needs to be done."

The king stood to his full height and pushed the doors aside, leaving both his wife, and his conscience behind him.

Almost an hour later he finally reached his destination - the castle far behind them both. The princess was fast asleep in a small woven basket, tucked carefully in amongst the blankets. It was her beautiful face that had made the deed impossible... the pure innocence that the child held. She had her father entranced after only hours of birth. He knew that she could still not remain in the castle; and if her passage down the river was to end in tragedy, he would be none the wiser. If anything, he was leaving it to fate.

If anyone were to ask him of what happened to the child when he returned, he would simply tell them that he had dealt with it. No one but he, and his daughter would ever know what had occurred this night.

With a final goodbye the king set her afloat, watching as the basket was carried softly downstream, as if traveling on a blanket of light. The moon's reflection had engulfed the entire surface of the water; so before he turned his back on her he prayed to the moon and stars that she would somehow live a decent life.
Last edited by ImmortalSin on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:10 am

Edmund coldly watched as the King departed with his newborn daughter, dagger in his other hand. It was for the best, the advisor told himself, not an ounce of guilt plaguing his conscience. He didn’t truly think the child was cursed, but neither did he want to see the late queen’s daughter ascend the throne. No, now the King- with Edmund’s help, of course- would be free to choose a new wife, a proper wife. And all this dirty business would be put behind them. No one would think twice about the tiny princess born that night. Soon she would be no more; as dead as her cold, white mother.

The man- young to be an advisor, yet oddly suited to his position in an aloof manner- tied back his long, black hair with a dark leather cord. His dark eyes surveyed the empty room and, with a deft spin on his heel, he departed, footsteps clicking sharply against the flagstones, figure passing in and out of the white moonlight as he moved under the windows on his way to the front entrance, ready to depart to his home on the perimeter of the village.

He exited the castle, leaving it behind with not a single backward thought to the girl he had condemned to death. He walked along the well-trod dirt path toward the tall stone building that was his home on the outcrops of town. In a blur of movement that was too fast to comprehend, a beautiful woman suddenly intercepted his path. Edmund took a startled step back, smooth brow furrowing in confusion.

“Edmund,” she purred, compensating for the space he had created between them by filling it and grabbing the neck of his tunic. The man looked back at her in confused dismay. “Oh, dear, dear Edmund. I have seen what you have done.”

Her fingers stroked through his inky dark hair, dispelling a few long strands from the knot at the base of his neck. The strands fell forward into his startled face. “And what have I done?” he asked, looking at the beautiful woman admonishingly. Her painted red lips curled into a smile and she ran her long, thin-fingered hands through her own long, silvery blonde hair.

“Dear Edmund, you have sentenced an innocent to death.” she crooned. “And for that, I am afraid you must be punished.”

The woman swooped upon him, drawing him closer with inhuman strength and speed, and with his long hair as leverage, pulled his face down, exposing a long stretch of throat. She sunk her fangs into his flesh and the sensation burned as if his whole body were consumed in flames. He writhed to get away from her, but her grip was like steel. When she had almost completely drained him of blood, she pulled away, a delighted expression on her pale, astonishing face.

In the dark of the night, the small, lithe woman threw Edmund over her shoulder as if he weighed no more than a rag doll, and carried him up the hill and into his home, depositing him into his bed. His dark eyes fluttered open, a confused expression on his face, but he was too weak to speak, too drained to ask questions.

The vampire woman put a cold finger to his lips, silencing the questions she knew he burned to ask. “Hush now, my Edmund. I have spared you so that you may redeem yourself. What you did tonight was abhorrent. You detested the Queen and punished her daughter. If you had your way, she would be dead right now.”

Edmund’s eyes widened. “No, no, she isn’t dead. She is on her way to another life right now, pushed along by the river. She shall have another chance at life, no thanks to you. And for attempting to take her life, I have taken yours.”

The man looked at her in shock, unable to move from his position on the bed, frozen in place by the burning venom in his veins. “My dear, sweet Edmund, I have just killed you. In your blood now courses ice. Tonight is your last night as a human, and when you awaken, you will never be the same. You will be reborn as a monster, completely vulnerable to the sun. You will be banished to the night, as I am. Instead of craving food and drink, blood will be your sustenance.”

She smiled, running a cold hand over his now pale cheek. “But fear not, my pet, for I have seen a light in you. I have given you a chance at life once more. I have only cursed you with immortality, not doomed you to it.”

A soft smile befell her pale, soft face, her long, silvery blonde waves framing her face angelically. “Edmund, you must find the princess you sought to kill. Find her, and make her love you. If you can bring her to love you, monster that you are, the curse will be broken and once again you will be human.”

Edmund stared up in petrified fear at the vampire leaning over him on the bed, his body burning and frozen at the same time. She lowered her icy lips to his, leaving him a soft, searingly cold kiss. “Remember Edmund, only love can break your curse.”

And without another word, she disappeared.

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:54 am

"Get back here now Tristan!"

With a sigh the girl set off in pursuit of the runaway child. He had done this as long as she could remember; heck, his favorite game as a baby was Peek-a-Boo, and now that he could walk, and run, it was a whole different story. She wound her way through the small village, leaping over livestock and other obstacles that lined the streets. Usually she would not have been so frantic, but today was different. The king's advisor and some of his men were residing here for a few days; meaning that everyone had to be on their 'best' behavior.

Most peasants knew to avoid them at all costs; especially the advisor. He was known to be quite ruthless when it came to matters of importance. So for once the wild goose chase her little brother had sent her on was one with consequences. Instead of simply lecturing him on how important it was to stay with her, she would be dragging him home by the ear.

Ever since Elaine could remember this village had been her home. Situated near the river, and far from the castle it was like a haven for it's people. They hardly ever had contact with royalty, but they believed it was for the best. As soon as the first queen had passed things had changed. Instead of ruling his own kingdom, the king came to rely even more on his advisor. Without a strong woman by his side he really was hopeless.

After several minutes of chasing down the little rug rat he came back into her line of sight. "Tristan! Stop!" She suddenly skidded to a halt as she spotted them, clad in their expensive attire. Her eyes widened as she contemplated what to do next - her heart now pounding hard in her chest. She frowned as she took a closer look at the small party, wondering which one of them could possibly be the advisor.

The guards were obvious, but the man that stood in front looked too young... too handsome to possibly hold such a fierce reputation. His long, dark hair was a strong contrast to his pale, smooth skin. It couldn't be him, it just couldn't be. A gasp escaped her lips as she saw Tristan run back towards them. As soon as he reached the group he latched onto the advisors leg, biting down hard as he growled - obviously he was quite aware that this was the man who had caused so much misfortune.

She would have laughed, had it not been such a dire situation. Before things could escalate any further she left her position, appearing in front of them in seconds. "Tristan, let go of him!" The toddler began to growl even louder, the guards surrounding us seeming to grow rowdy. She grabbed her little brother around the waist and jerked him off, lifting him into her arms as she tried hard to restrain him properly. He began to chant then, "Bad bad bad!"

Elaine's cheeks turned crimson in color as she bowed her head, "I am so sorry my lord, he's just a child. Please, forgive us both." The chant came to a sudden halt as she hissed in his ear, "Shut it."
Last edited by ImmortalSin on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:22 pm

That night was exactly as the had vampire promised it would be. He died- his heart stopped, his breathing ceased, and his body turned cold. But then Edmund was reborn, released of the hell he writhed in as fire and ice consumed his insides, the venom replacing them with cold hardness. He was stronger than ever before, faster too, and his sight was like crystalline magnification. Another side effect of his ‘death’ was enhanced, ethereal beauty. His skin was a flawless, milky canvas of smooth porcelain. His already dark hair turned into a midnight shade of shimmering black. His dark eyes remained the same in color, but gained an added intensity.

And in him now burned another need, stronger than any he had ever experienced. Edmund thirsted, and he thirsted for blood. He was a ruthless killer, taking the first person he found- in this case a young woman too entranced by the wintry, handsome advisor to struggle. His new looks and senses made him a formidable predator. He took her then and there in the dark night, draining her of her blood and then snapping her neck to finish the job. He threw her body into the river and then retreated to his stone fortress before the morning came. He sent a servant to inform the King he would not be in that day- nor any other.

It seemed odd to the court that the respected advisor now only chose to venture out at night. Rumors spread of him and his ruthlessness, some closer to the truth than others. But the King trusted him and listened to Edmund’s words. The official story was that the advisor contracted a rare disease that made him weak to sunlight. With him as the King’s right hand man, and for all intensive purposes, the ruler of the land, the fashion of the court became to convene at night.

All who opposed Edmund and the way he manipulated the King like a marionette mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen again. Eventually the entire court grew to fear him, but none would dare speak out. His reputation spread throughout the lands, and as the years passed, people began to wonder why they continued to get older, and Edmund stayed ever the same. He was known as Edmund the Terrible or Edmund the Cold, though there were many alterations on the name. The Ruthless, The Beautiful, The Demon

Edmund grew to hate his life. Immortality was not all it promised to be, and though he was a natural killer, the job was dirty and he found no pleasure in it’s act. He began to ponder the vampire’s words who had turned him, wondering what she meant by curse and doom.

Could he really be a man again?

For years and years there was nothing he could do. He had to wait till the child grew up, always wondering where she was. Down the river was a vague direction, after all. And when she would have reached an acceptable age for marriage, Edmund began what came to be known as The Campaign.

The King, he said, needed a new wife, and he was the man to find her. The royalty of surrounding kingdoms refused to send their daughters, fearful and anxious of the nighttime kingdom and it’s cruel, handsome advisor who spoke for the king.

It was decided the King needed a bride of the people. He would wed a peasant, and it was up to Edmund to choose who. The Campaign was a hoax. Edmund searched not for the King’s sake, but for his own. Many beautiful, kind, intelligent, suitable women were passed by. None had the star-shaped birthmark, the thing he secretly searched for.

Edmund was beginning to grow desperate, worried he would never find the princess. He was reaching the end of the river and the last town along it’s banks before it emptied into the sea. If he did not find her there, he felt sure he would be doomed to an eternity of living hell, a soulless existence in which he ruthlessly fed on the weak and innocent whom he secretly envied.

The advisor entered the village, guards and officials flanking him on either side as they traversed through the night. Though the sun had set and the moon was high, many people had gathered around to watch the procession. Edmund scanned the crowd, searching the faces for young women.

He saw a small child running forward, heard his light footfalls on the dirt path, and could have easily intercepted him, but his speed scared his human companions. Instead, knowing what was about to come, he allowed the little boy to latch on. His teeth sunk into Edmund’s leg, and the advisor growled. If a young woman hadn’t promptly come forward and scooped the child into her arms, he would have hurled the invasive boy to the side.

Edmund glared at the young woman holding the child. “Keep your brat away from the procession.” he snarled. “Such an act as he has committed is treason, punishable by death.”

He put a cold hand on the child’s soft, warm cheek, a scowl on his handsome face. “Bite me again and I shall show you the truth of your actions.”

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:28 am

Elaine lifted her head just an inch, meeting the advisor's gaze with a look just as cold as his own. So he did live up to his reputation. Although after a few moments she found herself struggling to turn away, his very presence captivating her. She felt like reaching out, and touching his face, stroking his hair - she imagined the sensation would be divine. But instead she took in a deep breath, closing her eyes as Tristan squirmed in her grip. "I can assure you, that won't be necessary."

Taking one last glance at the striking man, she bumped Tristan up and over her shoulder; carrying the feisty toddler back towards home.

This evening felt strange to her, as though something was lurking amongst the darkness that had taken hold of the village for just a few hours. For some reason she continued to flinch at the smallest noise, and jump whenever something startled her. To put her mind at ease she decided a distraction was in order.

She placed her little brother on the ground in front of her, planting her hands firmly around each of his arms so that he could not escape her again. By now her neatly tied up hair hung loosely around the edges of her face, reflecting her flustered mood at the present time, "Tristan. How many times have I told you not to run away from me?" The boy averted his attention to a firefly instead, pretending not to take notice of her. With a sigh she shook her head, "One day you're going to really get yourself into a mess, and I won't be there to step in. Please, at least until the procession has left; stay with me?" He finally looked back to her, a pout on his lips. "Okay 'laine."

A contented smile replaced her frustration as she took his hand, walking with him by her side as they headed home. Their mother would be worried sick, wondering why it had taken her so long to round up her son. By now Elaine guessed she would be fretting, wondering whether to gather the pitchforks and torches and parade the town in order to locate her missing daughter and son. She decided to quicken her pace now; growing slightly anxious. The last thing this town needed at the moment was an angry mob.

After another few minutes or so she finally saw a familiar pillar of smoke rising above the village. Their home was situated close to the river, so it was always fairly easy to find - even in the dark. Her mother had always told her that the water had brought her many blessings, and that it always seemed to answer her prayers in some way or another. Elaine had never truly understood the meaning of her words, but at least they always had a decent supply of fish - her family never went hungry.

Tristan let go of her hand, rushing towards their quaint little shack. "Momma, momma!" The door swung open and a fairly round woman appeared there, her eyes wide and her face full of joy as she saw her children. "Oh thank the lord! Wherever have you two been? I've been worried sick... Elaine, how could you lose him again? Oh it doesn't matter... come here!" She bustled over, embracing her only daughter in a loving squeeze. Elaine gasped, resting her head on the woman's shoulder as she waited for her to let go. "We're both fine mother, we just had a little... company, is all."

Her mother led her back towards the house. Her hand rested around Elaine's shoulders and she chuckled as the young woman inhaled the scent of dinner. "You arrived just in time." A thoughtful look crossed her face as she turned the girl to face her, "But after, you are to wash and then dress in your finest clothes... the king has sent his advisor to this very village!"

Elaine rolled her eyes, nodding her head in response, "I'm quite aware of that mother, but I don't understand why you are so excited about the situation." Her face then paled as things dawned on her, "Oh no... no, no, no! Firstly, I have no chance with such a man. Secondly, he is a complete-" Her sentence was halted as a finger pressed to her lips, she scowled at her mother in return as the elder woman began to speak once more. "I'm not saying that you need to go for him, but why not try to land yourself one of his guard?"

With a grimace Elaine thought it over, deciding it was best to at least humor her for now. "I'm not promising anything." She mumbled under her breath, but her mother followed her after an excited squeal, practically swooning over the thought of her daughter marrying into the castle.

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:51 pm

“An orphan, you say?” murmured Edmund as he pressed the young woman’s body into a dark, shadowy ally. The woman’s face was flushed from too much drink and she was heady from the attentions of such a prestigious man.

“Y-yes.” she hiccupped, circling her arms around his neck.

“And so beautiful.” he purred. The couple ducked into the inn they stood in the shadows of and Edmund pulled her up into his room, careful no one saw them. Once in his room, their rendezvous continued. Perhaps this was the princess, he hoped, kissing her neck and resisting the strong urge to sink his fangs into her tanned, soft flesh. The woman in his arms was completely lost in his presence.

She looked to be about the right age, and she was an orphan, which increased the likelihood that she was the young woman he had been searching for. If she was, all he had to do was make her fall in love with him. After that, he could throw any pretty peasant he found at the king and the aging man would be appeased. Truly all he needed was a young, healthy bride to bear him a son. That was all that mattered anymore.

Edmund pressed the woman into the wall, feeling her blood pulsing beneath his lips, the venom coursing through him at the ready. His hands gathered her skirts, slowly pulling them up. The young woman had no modesty and readily helped him, hiking it up to her hips. Edmund pulled away and looked at the skin on her hips. It was clear and unmarked- no star shaped birthmark in sight.

“You’re no princess.” he hissed. The woman looked at him in confusion, fear growing in her eyes at his tone.

“I- I never said I was.” she stammered nervously. Edmund swooped upon her, his fangs digging into her soft flesh.

“Then you are of no use to me.” he growled, drawing out her warm, sweet blood. It warmed his cold body a little, making him feel a little more human. Between feedings his body grew hard and cold as ice, and his skin turned white. When he fed though, a little of his victim’s life filled him and a little color came to his skin, his body became a little warmer.

The woman’s body collapsed in his arms and he ruthlessly snapped her neck to finish the job. A vampire could never take the last sip. The blood of the dead was fatal- a vampire’s poison. He had to control himself carefully so as not to end his existence.

Her dead body he gathered into his arms and took downstairs, moving so stealthily that not a single soul would see. He threw her in the river to get rid of the evidence, and then called on a page to send out a message to the townspeople. Edmund needed a way to see all the women at once.

--- --- ---

The young page knocked on the door of Elaine’s house. When she opened it, he immediately started his speech, clearing his throat. “M’lady, the King is searching for a bride. All the young women are invited to the celebration that the Royal Advisor is holding. It shall be an outdoor costume ball in which the Advisor shall search for our future queen. The advisor apologizes for such short notice, but the event will be held tomorrow night in the western field, decorated of course, for the event.”

The page bowed and hurried away into the night, setting off for the next house, petrified that the advisor would be displeased with his performance. The boy feared the consequences if he messed up his task. Edmund the Cruel was not a man to be trifled with.

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:41 am

While Elaine and her little brother sat patiently at the table their mother bustled about the room, readying dinner.

Usually Elaine would have been up to help her, but tonight she insisted that her daughter rested her mind and her body - hoping that she may need both to 'reel in' a guard later tonight. She found the notion quite ridiculous, especially seeing as most of the guards were either immoral, or they just had no wits about them at all. All that was required of them was strength, and an intimidating appearance. No one really needed anything more to decide not to mess with them.

The only man that had succeeded in intriguing her was the advisor. It sickened her to think that the ruthless and cruel man had managed to capture her interest, but there was something about him that seemed to demand attention.

She found herself drifting off just a little as she continued to daydream but she was rudely disrupted as a large pot was slammed onto the table; her mother wiping the sweat from her brow as she grinned at Elaine. "It's your favorite, my special surprise soup!" She stifled a groan at the very mention of her mother's 'famous' concoction, but decided not to complain - there were others starving at this very moment, and she was quite aware of that saddening truth.

Tristan on the other hand whooped with joy as he snatched a bowl, handing it to Elaine so that she could fill it for him. She never could understand why the boy was so fond of the stuff, but she didn't dare question the strange affection that he felt towards it, maybe it was an acquired taste?

All through their meal her mother spoke excitedly of the procession, mentioning several times of what a catch Elaine was - that any man would gladly call her his own. The mixture of the soup and her words caused her to want to vomit; but polite as always, she kept it to herself. She had learned over the years that harsh words were very rarely productive. Instead she used a witty selection of them to defend herself when needed. Knowledge was her favored weapon.

Whilst clearing the table Elaine turned her head as someone knocked fervently on their door. She tied back her smooth auburn hair neatly before moving to open it - revealing what looked to be some sort of messenger. He began to quote a message to her straight away, and she rested in the doorway as she stared at him with curiosity. As he mentioned the purpose of the procession her eyes widened before she swiftly glanced over her shoulder, seeing her mother frozen in place - her mouth agape as she listened to the male's words.

As soon as he turned to leave her mother rushed to Elaine practically squealing with joy, embracing her daughter in another tight hug. "Elaine, this is perfect! You simply must attend!" Before the girl could get in even one word she was silenced, "No, you're not getting out of this one. Think about it... think of how happy you could be... a queen!"

Elaine let out a soft grumble, knowing all too well that again, she was going to have no choice in the matter. With a sigh she nodded in defeat. Maybe she could turn this around? Just enjoy the night like everyone else...

Late that evening, after resting on the bank of the river for almost an hour lost in her thoughts; she finally slipped under the covers, resting her head on her pillow as she shut her eyes. Staring into the moonlit water always seemed to clear her mind. She felt a connection with the place, as though it was somehow special to her.

That night as she began to doze off, a memory... or maybe just a dream reached her. A babe floating downstream, the stars overhead guiding their marked kin safely to her new home. It was the most peaceful dream she could ever recall having.

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:21 pm

By nightfall, the Western field was transformed. Paper lanterns with tiny, flickering candles inside hung from the dense trees around the perimeter. A tall, wooden beam was erected in the center of the clearing, long, silky fabrics draping elegantly down into the trees from it‘s top, creating a tent of silk banners through which the stars could be seen. Already the clearing was beginning to fill with women in bright dresses and masks, and men were in their nicest attire. The large procession of guards and court officials intermixed with the villagers, chatting and laughing and dancing merrily. But the advisor was absent.

The night would be a challenge for him, with so many tempting bodies around him. Like a man dying of thirst beside a cool spring, except the spring would be his downfall. He had to feed before he ventured into the masquerade to safeguard from the need to attack. He slipped into the stables and found a handsome stable boy preparing a mount. Before the young man could even turn, Edmund had taken him. The boy’s body became limp in his arms, and when he was finished he dropped the body onto the hay. The venom sealed the penetration marks of his teeth, making it look as though he had died in his sleep. A soft, peaceful look was on the young man’s face. Being killed by a vampire was not a bad way to die. The experience was pleasurable and quick.

Now Edmund felt almost human. His skin warmed and gained a healthier color. His dark eyes looked less predatory and more humane, though his handsome features still had a sharpness to them that was appealing and simultaneously intimidating. His white teeth, and especially the long, sharp canines, glittered in the pale moonlight as he smiled and licked the crimson blood from his lips, daring not waste a precious drop.

Returning to his room, the advisor changed into his nicest garb- a sleek, black tunic with glinting, silver embroidery at the cuffs, black pants, polished boots, and a simple black mask that tied behind his shoulder length, onyx hair. His footfalls were soft on the stairs as he descended into the lower level of the inn and tavern and then exited, passing his guard who looked at him curiously. He strode into the forest, along the candle lit path that led to the western field clearing.

He entered into it, breathing in the delicious scent of so many humans and simultaneously was disgusted with himself for thinking such a thing. He was cruel and relentless, yet he hated the monster he was. He was growing desperate. He needed to find the princess he had once condemned to death. It was the only way. She was the key to restoring him. She held his life in her hands.

Edmund watched as the villagers danced together, the men of his procession dancing with the most beautiful young women. His dark, opulent eyes looked over the crowd as he took a subtle position at the edge of the clearing beneath a few lanterns strung high into the branches of the trees, drawing as little attention to himself as possible, choosing, for the moment at least, to only look and watch. He was an astute observer and managed to blend into the shadows and dappled light.

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Elaine spent most of the next day in the market sector of town searching for a suitable mask. The sun was warm but the breeze was crisp, keeping things at a perfect temperature. As she wandered the streets she felt much more at ease then she had last night, but she figured things could change once the evening arrived.

It was not a surprise to see many stalls lined up against building walls; all of them selling some type of formal attire. She already had a beautiful crimson dress waiting for her at home, but she had yet to complete her outfit. Elaine knew that it was her fault for sleeping in, because now most tables were completely empty - only the 'less desirable' pieces were left behind.

After another hour or two of searching she found what she was looking for. A fairly modest, but still elegant piece that covered just her eyes and forehead. The dark crimson matched the color of her dress perfectly, and the few black feathers that littered one side added to it's delicateness. She smirked softly to herself, thinking of how contradictory it was of her to wear something so 'fragile'. Never once had any being mentioned that word, and 'Elaine', in the same sentence.

The crowd had lessened by this time, so her trip back home was a lot swifter then her journey here had been. Although young women still huddled in groups, whispering excitedly as they exchanged their thoughts on the ball that was being held tonight. They seemed fairly hopeful, but why shouldn't they be? Tonight could mean a whole new start for them. Royalty... of course they should be looking forward to it.

Her mother was quick to greet her at the door, nodding in approval when she saw the mask that she held in her hands. But the elder woman was quick to steer matters elsewhere. "Elaine, I need to speak with you." Lifting an eyebrow the young woman cocked her head to the side, "Yes?" With a sigh her mother sat her down at the table, clasping her hands together as she stared blankly forward, wondering how to word things. She came to an abrupt conclusion, waving a hand at Elaine dismissively. "Go, get changed. The sun is already beginning to set."

Elaine blinked a few times before getting to her feet, wondering continuously what that had been about. She swiftly changed, gasping slightly when she tightened the laces at the back of her dress. It had been a birthday present, and so far it had not been worn even once. It wasn't that Elaine did not like the dress, but more because she thought it would out do her if she did choose to wear it.

Any of the fears she had disappeared though, when she emerged from a separate room. Tristan was standing next to their mother, and both the young boy and the elder woman looked positively mesmerized. A deep blush flooded Elaine's cheeks as she dipped her head and scoffed, "Is it that horrible?" Her little brother rushed over and tugged on her dress, beaming up at her. "'laine looks pretty." Her mother said nothing, but the look on her face seemed to echo what Tristan had just proclaimed.

The happiness suddenly faded from her face as she bobbed her head towards the door, "Say goodbye to your... to Tristan love, it's time to go." Elaine gave the boy a peck on the cheek before she fastened her mask, poking her tongue at him before moving to the door. When she stepped outside her mother caught her by the shoulders, leading her away from the house before finally turning to face her. "Elaine, I've been deliberating for years when would be the right time to tell you this... and I feel that if I left it any longer now I would be doing you an injustice."

Elaine's brow creased as she noticed the look of regret in her mother's eyes, her words made her even more uneasy, but she continued to listen regardless as the woman continued. "You're not... you're not my daughter." A lump formed in Elaine's throat, her voice broke as she spoke up, "W-what, do you mean?" By this time tears were beginning to form, but she tried desperately to hold them back. "Elaine I found you. Someone had floated you down the river, and you came to rest here. I couldn't just leave you to die, so I decided to raise you myself. Then Tristan came, and you were so happy to have a little brother... I couldn't ruin that for you, I just couldn't. You need to understand that-"

Tears were now running down her cheeks, but the expression set on her face was firm, "You've kept this from me my entire life... and you expect me to understand?" She clenched one of her hands into a fist and pursed her lips, controlling her emotions as best as she could manage. "Don't you think I had the right to know this?" Her mother looked as though she was suffering, but at this time Elaine felt like she deserved it. "Elaine... please." Her mother began to beg. But she had heard enough, with a furious glare she turned on her heel, storming off into the night.

There was only one thing that was on her mind now - and that was the ball. It was the only place where she would be able to find temporary refuge, a place where she could try and forget about what had just happened. Even if she simply sat alone all night, replaying the events that had occurred today, she felt as though she would be better off for it.

Nothing had ever knocked her down so badly. This was not just one of those things that could be shrugged off. Her entire identity had been shattered; and as Elaine reached the now splendid Western Field, one question was buzzing through her mind. Who am I?

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:03 pm

There were exactly four candidates at the masquerade who fit the profile he was searching for. All four were young and dark haired. There were three others who were of the right age, but two had blonde locks, and one had red. The babe he had held in his arms all those years ago had been dark haired, with a hint of red if he recalled, but auburn hair was a trait that often went away as children got older.

As it were, all four women were currently dancing, completely enveloped in their partners. Because of the mask that covered his eyes, people did not realize he was the infamous advisor, and so he was not unduly bothered. Edmund slowly circled around the perimeter of the dancing couples, the hundreds of candles illuminating the sharp, pale planes of his handsome face. Beneath the mask his dark eyes glimmered, carefully watching as couples spun and gracefully rotated, women’s full skirts twirling as the musicians played on the far side of the moonlit field.

The trees completely encompassed the clearing, creating an intimate atmosphere for dancing and festivity. Edmund’s only fear was that the princess would not show up. If she did not, however would he find her and make her love him?

The latter part of the equation he hadn’t thought too much about. He had no idea how to make a woman love him, even if he did find the one he was searching for. All he knew was that first he had to find her.

The moon overhead was full, and a bright, yellowed white, glowing down and illuminating the faces from between the long, colorful silken banners that canopied them. Across the clearing, the moonlight seemed to fall particularly bright on one beautiful young woman in a bright scarlet dress. The deep crimson color brought out the redness in her auburn hair, and the moon washed her skin into a smooth, radiant silver. Edmund caught his breath. Who was this fiery angel, and where had she come from?

Certainly she rounded out his list of candidates, marking herself as the fifth. She had it all. She was the right age, had the same dark, red-brown hair of the queen’s child. Edmund wondered if she was an orphan. Oh, if only this fair maiden was the princess. Making her love him would be a joy, a true delight. Her eyes were hidden beneath her mask, and for that he couldn’t make out her identity. He was unsure if he had seen before when coming in. He hoped his mask hid his identity as well. It would be much easier to retrieve a little information from the angel if she wasn’t watching her every word because he was the advisor.

Edmund crossed the clearing, weaving gracefully between the spinning couples till he reached her. He bowed low, one arm held at his stomach, the other behind his back, and then he straightened, slightly extending his hand to her.

“My lady,” he said softly as a breeze swept past them and rustled her auburn locks and his coal colored hair. “I would be honored if you would give me this dance.”

His voice was a deep, soothing baritone, tranquil and even in quality, and held none of the malice it had the night before. Now was not the time for anger; now was the time for romance and seduction. He had to make her trust him before she her identity could be revealed.

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:15 pm

The young woman did nothing but simply stare at the scene unraveling in the Western Field. The endless colors and patterns that the twirling couples made had her utterly transfixed. She wondered whether any of the women below her could possibly be her mother. But she quickly dismissed that thought, recalling the part about where she had been floated downstream. This frustrated her the most.

So many cities lay beside the river. It would take her months to journey to each of them, and years to speak to every woman who could have possibly given birth to her. Another thought occurred then; what if her mother was dead? What if, after years of living a lie, she found information that proved that her mother had already left this place. She may never actually have a chance of meeting her at all...

Elaine shut her eyes, trying to suppress that thought. Instead she thought about siblings; but in her mind no-one could ever be a brother to her like Tristan. No matter how hard she tried to despise the woman for lying to her, all this time... she just couldn't bring herself to hate her.

Had she not plucked her from the river, raised her as her own, given her another chance at a good life? But what was it that Elaine really preferred? A lie... or the truth. Even if the truth turned out to be filled with nothing but sorrow, would she regret leaving the lie? So many decisions... so many different paths she could choose from here on.

The combination of things caused her mind to spin, effectively making her stomach lurch and her vision blur. Finally she found some relief. It was a voice. The most beautiful, soothing, enchanting thing she had ever had the pleasure of hearing. More striking then a streak of lightning through the night sky, but more comforting then the softest of down.

A gentle breeze gave her goosebumps, and she finally opened her eyes. He had just finished a bow when her vision properly cleared, all traces of the vertigo she had experienced before now fading completely away. The only thing on her mind was him. There was no possible way for her to think of anything else now that she was in his presence. His voice had been the bait, and now she was caught - at least for the time being.

Elaine oddly blushed as he finally staged his request, a small, sheepish smile tugging at the corner of her lips. Why was this man even paying attention to her? Surely there were other women out there to prey on, much more prettier then she. But he seemed just as captivated as she was - both of them wanting to know more.

She took in a deep breath before reaching out for his hand. Feeling just a little more confident, she glanced up at him, gasping as she did so. Although something was different about them now, she still recognized his eyes immediately. Elaine narrowed her gaze and put on a sickeningly sweet tone, "What a pleasure to make your acquaintance again, my lord. I suppose I must look quite different when I'm not with my... hm, what did you call him again? Oh that's right, my brat."

At this she removed her mask, throwing it to the ground. Elaine growled, now absolutely furious with this man, "You have some nerve." She knew that he could have her killed for this, or at least punished severely. In fact he alone sent shivers down her spine. But what did it matter anymore? It wasn't like she had a real family awaiting her return.

She was going to stand her ground for once. No matter what the consequences entailed. Elaine was not just a child anymore, she was a young woman. An orphan... but an orphan that was going to look out for one person, and one person only. Herself.

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Her eyes and expression went from happily overwhelmed to disgusted in a matter of seconds as she recognized him. Suddenly, the memory of her from the night before came back to him, sharp and crisp. She had been tending the toddler who had run into the procession and bitten him. For once, Edmund’s cold, hard demeanor was coming back to bite him. Never had a woman spoken so insolently to him. It was a shock, and also oddly intriguing. Not to say he liked the change though.

With a growl, the advisor knelt to retrieve the mask she had thrown to the ground, revealing her features and identity. He stood and held the article between his fingers, inspecting it critically. “Probably for the best,” he said in icy tones. “Such a thing only hides your true beauty.”

He looked back at her and his brows suddenly knit together as he realized why she looked so familiar. Seeing her dressed in finery, with that stunning face surrounded by soft auburn hair was like looking at the late queen. There was no doubt about it now. This woman was most certainly the princess. Too bad he had already managed to offend her.

Nonetheless, Edmund was not the sort of man to accept defeat. With inhuman grace and speed, yet also managing to be quite gentle, he took the hand she had been about to slip into his own before recognizing him. His other hand circled around to rest at the small of her back, and he drew her close until he could feel the material of her ruby dress against his abdomen. Not awaiting protest, he drew her into the center where the couples were dancing, oblivious to the exclamation she had made against him.

“My dear,” he growled softly into her ear, a dangerous note to his silken voice as they began a slow, elegant dance in the middle of the clearing. “Why focus on the past when it is already so far behind us?”

Expertly, Edmund spun her out and then caught her back against his chest, his fingers splaying across the small of her back. “Let us forget who we are on this beautiful night. I will be nothing but a man, fortunate enough to be dancing with an angel. And you will be the divine creature who saves me from hell.”

Truer words could not be spoken, but under the moonlight and the silken canopy, amidst the candles and the paper lanterns, it sounded like poetry, intended to seduce and entrance. To Edmund, it didn’t matter if she hated him, if she protested. She would be his, no matter what. Now that he had finally found her, she simply had to love him. That was the only way. The only way to break his curse.

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 pm

The advisors growl caused the tiny hairs on the back of her neck to stand up in an instant, even her goosebumps had worsened. Elaine was already beginning to regret her words as he reached for her mask, holding it between his fingers while his eyes scoured over the thing that had managed to conceal her identity from him. But when he spoke, her now paling face returned to it's normal color as blood rushed to her cheeks.

It was an instant reaction to his voice. Whenever he spoke of her she could not control the actions of her body. The goosebumps, the blushing... it was embarrassing to an extent. She was so used to being in charge, but he made things the exact opposite.

Elaine felt herself seize up as he looked back to her, she caught her breath, and was unable to take another for quite some time. Although she already despised this man, she was still unable to break the hold which he had over her. Her eyes were locked onto his and she lifted an eyebrow as she saw a shimmer of something emerge from the dark depths... was it, hope?

The advisor suddenly disappeared for just a moment. By the time Elaine had proceeded to blink he already held her in his arms. The blushing grew even more obvious, but it was not reflecting her current feelings towards him. She was absolutely outraged when he drew her close to him, the feeling of his chest against hers making her want to squirm. The grip he had her in appeared fairly harmless, but it allowed for hardly any resistance. Before she grew desperate enough to bite him he towed her off in the direction of the dancers. She managed a shriek, but it was not easily heard over the music, "Let go you creep!"

Although to others the tone that had crept into his voice may not have been very obvious, it was loud and clear for Elaine. He was not simply asking her to forget, he was ordering her to. He was threatening her, very subtly, but enough for her to notice. She swallowed, wondering how on earth she had landed herself in this type of situation. What if he grew infatuated with her? She could hardly say no to him... she would have no choice in the matter. It would make no difference, chains or no chains; either way she would still be his. But she was probably just being ridiculous. There was no way such a highly ranked man, with such stunning looks, would ever settle for someone like her; it was unheard of.

Elaine let out a soft squeak as he spun her out in front of him, exhaling when he brought her back in safely. The speed and precision of this man continued to stun her. For some reason she felt as though - if she behaved - he would do nothing to harm her. At least not intentionally.

He tucked his head next to hers, his lips just grazing her ear lobe as he purred in her ear. He was simply perplexing - there was no other word for it. Elaine was overwhelmed by his interest in her, along with how different he was tonight. She was not dancing with a pompous advisor... no, she was dancing with an intriguing, romantic man, who also happened to be quite a gentleman.

With a soft groan she rested her head against his chest, shutting her eyes. All of the spinning and turning was doing nothing for her stomach, and it was growing harder to breathe in amongst the other couples. Elaine was not used to being in such a tight space, and the constant noise of the music was causing her head to throb.

He seemed to notice her plight and rested two fingers under her chin, tilting her face up so he could study her closer. She opened an eye wearily and grimaced, feeling utterly pathetic for looking this weak around him. He appeared to be waiting for her to tell him what was wrong, so she managed a frail whine, "I think I'm going to pass out."

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:36 am

The warmth of her delicate, fragile, human body permeated through the layers of clothing. It was an utterly consuming, sumptuous warmth, and Edmund found himself not quite able to get close enough to her. Already her slim waist was pressed against him, he held one of her hands, and her other was on his shoulder while his was on her lower back. It was not enough though.

She resisted against him, which only brought a smile of amusement to his face. “Creep?” he repeated softly, his voice low. “Please, call me Edmund.”

His words had a hint of humor, though he maintained a straight face. The corners of his pale lips curled in ever so slightly as he looked down at her. When she rested her head against his chest, he let out a low growling sound of contentment. Two desires simultaneously warred in him. He was sure her blood would be sweet and satisfying, and so he craved it, yet he also needed her to live and learn to love him.

Was such a thing possible? Already she despised him and, unlike most women, seemed unaffected by his status. Most members of the gentler sex would give in to him merely because he was the Royal Advisor and the acting head of the kingdom. The rest, who had no need of higher rank, found him irresistible for other reasons. But not the fiery angel in his arms. She actually seemed offended by his previous actions of the night before. Had he upset her so badly?

He looked across the couples dancing coldly, wondering how best to make the woman he had forced into his arms love him. He himself was a loveless creature. He had been, in fact, even before he had been cursed and turned into a vampire. Edmund was ruthless and cruel, but he detested his very existence. That woman so many years ago had turned him into a personification of his worst qualities. He was a cold hearted killer, a merciless fiend.

Her soft whine reached his ears and his frown deepened. His arms loosened around her and the hand that had before been on the small of her back now slid around her delicate hand, drawing her away from the crowds and toward the periphery of the clearing so they stood in the shadows of the trees underneath the golden glow of the lanterns. He stood beside her, but didn’t let go of the small, warm hand he held.

Her words made him smirk. Pass out, he thought with amusement. “You know, sweet angel, I have heard forgiveness heals all wounds. Perhaps if we allow ourselves to turn a new leaf, you will feel better.”

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 am

As soon as he took her hand Elaine allowed herself to be led away from the group, noticing the couples part as they came towards them. It allowed the advisor... no... it allowed Edmund to make their escape quick, he simply followed the path that the others had made. No one even seemed consciously aware that they had done this for them, it looked more or less like an instinctive movement. Or maybe she was just imagining things in her dazed state?

The lanterns jingled tirelessly in the trees above them, the consistent breeze bringing life to not only them, but the rest of the decorations as well. The Western Field truly was beautiful tonight, she had to admit. But her mind was currently elsewhere, and the only thing she tried to focus on was sorting out her sudden illness.

Her head was dipped forward, her hair forming a silky curtain around the sides of her face as she panted softly. Edmund stood silently by her side while she gathered herself, his hand still clutching hers tightly. Instead of wanting to squirm, she was glad he was here with her; it was reassuring in a sense. She finally swallowed, running a hand through her hair as she looked to the sky, hoping that the stars would provide some assistance like usual.

When he commenced what she assumed was some type of apology for what had happened yesterday, Elaine turned her head to look at him out of the corner of her crystal blue eyes. Now that her head had cleared she felt witty enough to play his game. "I have heard many things as well, my lord, but still my favorite tales are those of a ruthless, and cold-hearted man, who calls himself the Royal Advisor."

Before he had time to interrupt Elaine continued, a small smile now visible on her lips, "But he has left a young woman wondering whether some of them, may possibly be untrue. If only there were a way for her to know for sure?" At this she rested a finger on her bottom lip, with a 'hmm' type look on her face. "I guess she'll never know. What a shame."

A wave of nausea suddenly washed over her, causing her to groan and wrap a hand around her stomach. She clutched at the fabric there, as if trying to hold herself together. What was making her feel this way? So light-headed, so breathless, so ill... It finally dawned on her; a combination formulated by no less then the devil himself. Surprise soup and a tight corset. Curse that woman for feeding her such a vile brew.

Elaine knew that she needed to rest... somewhere. That she was going to have to lay down, sleep it off. But she had no intentions of returning 'home' at this point. It was not where she belonged, and she didn't want to have to face either Tristan nor his mother, especially not in this state.

As her breathing grew more ragged she fell to her knees and tried desperately to loosen the laces at the back of her dress. But she only succeeded in drawing them even tighter. She looked to the man standing beside her and pleaded with him, "Edmund... it's too tight." She gained no response from the advisor though, he seemed to be... amused.

Without his assistance the dress seemed to win the battle, it had most certainly 'out done' her. Elaine blacked out, landing with a soft thud at Edmund's feet.

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:28 pm

A middle aged woman in a green and gold gown shrieked and brought a hand to her mouth as Elaine fainted at the advisor’s feet. She looked into Edmund’s cold, pale face and his dark, ruthless eyes and shuddered. She could sense the death and cruelty radiating off of him. She was old enough to have seen him at the beginning of his career, and he looked not a day older now. Edmund mentally cursed, wishing the mask covering his eyes hid his identity better. It worked well enough in crowds, but separated like this, the tall, fiendishly handsome man stood out once more.

Edmund swooped down to scoop Elaine’s soft, feminine body into his arms, a scowl at his lips. By now the music had ceased and the spinning couples had stopped to look at the Advisor and the woman in shock. He glared back out at them, shifting her so that her head rested against his chest. “Too much drink.” he muttered by way of explanation. The villagers looked at him and the young woman in his arms uneasily, temporarily frozen and mute. No one seemed to know what to say.

Edmund spun angrily away from them on his heel, striding off into the darkness of the forest and away from their prying eyes and leering masks. Elaine’s crimson gown glowed in the darkness as the couple disappeared.

This was great, thought Edmund. Just great. As if he needed any more reason for suspicion. The entire village had seen him, had judged his actions. Why was a woman passed out before him, they wondered. Why was he looking at her as if he simultaneously desired her and wanted to bring her harm? They sensed an unnatural presence in him. He wouldn’t be able to stay there long. So much for wooing Elaine. Now he’d have to think of something else.

Once they were deep enough into the woods and far enough away from the path that no one would find them, Edmund laid out the cloak over his shoulders on the ground and set her on it, leaning her against a tree. He then kneeled behind her and began unlacing the tight cords of her corset. To anyone watching, it would have seemed he had dishonorable things in mind. Though he had those thoughts of the blue-eyed beauty, it wasn’t what he had in mind at the moment.

He loosened the cords and retied it more loosely. The ribbons holding the sides together were loose enough that her creamy, feminine flesh showed through temptingly. His throat burned and he tightly clenched his jaw, wishing the venom would stop pooling readily, making him thirst even more strongly for her rich, sweet blood.

“Angel, please wake up.” he implored her quietly, voice strained. He still didn’t know her name, he realized. If she didn’t come to, he was sure he would give in to his desires and ruin any chance he had of becoming a man again. She would be dead and he would be
 well, he was dead anyway.

Monroe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalSin on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:14 am

The sound reached her once more. That soft and yet glorious melody that seemed to bring her to her senses, only to ensnare them soon after. If it were the last thing that she was ever to hear, she figured she could leave this life at peace. When she realized that he was indeed speaking to her, she gasped, opening her eyes wide only to be met by more darkness.

Elaine stared blankly forward, waiting for her vision to adjust to the time of night. She was relieved to find herself able to breathe once more; her dress now clinging loosely to her form. She could no longer hear nor see any trace of the ball that had caused her so much turmoil. That was when she remembered who she had been with before all of this occurred.

As if echoing her thoughts a flicker of movement caught her attention, and she finally noticed the advisor kneeling by her side. He looked as though he had been there the whole time, which left her to wonder how on earth she had overlooked him. But even now she had to squint just to make sure he was real. She noticed a subtle smirk tug at the corner of his pale lips, seeming to confirm his existence. He looked grateful in a way, as if she had just saved him from committing an unforgivable sin. Or maybe he was just happy that she had came to.

When she finally felt well enough, Elaine sat up properly, exhaling as she looked to Edmund, "You must think I am awfully weak... but don't judge me until you've tried wearing one of these." She smiled faintly, turning her head in the direction she believed they had come from. She was unsure as to whether he eyes were playing tricks on her, but she thought she could just make out a few lanterns in the distance. Edmund had remained silent, but she was curious now, wondering what he was going to do from here. "Shouldn't you be getting back?"

Her stomach gave a violent lurch as she tried to stand, her face went ghostly white before Edmund finally rested a hand firmly on her shoulder, pushing her back against the tree and holding her still against the rough bark. Elaine was growing quite clammy by now, a few beads of sweat appearing on her smooth skin. She took in a deep breath and swallowed, mumbling another curse about the soup.

Edmund mentioned something about resting, which made Elaine feel even worse. She grimaced and shook her head, knowing all too well that she had nowhere to 'just rest'. "That's... not possible at the moment." The expression upon his face seemed to be imploring her to explain her previous comment, for some reason she willing obliged. "The home I thought I had, and the family that lived with me there, turned out to be nothing more then a lie. I'm an orphan, and I don't intend to go back there."

Her situation seemed to be growing drearier by the moment, so she decided to flow with it, "You can leave me here... if you want. Just tell the boy who bit you earlier that Elaine will always love him." She knew she was being melodramatic, but truthfully she saw no hope for her future. There was only one thing she could think of that would secure her a safe place, but she would never even think of lowering herself to that standard. Her 'mother' would probably beg her to stay with them, but she no longer thought of that place by the river as her home. Even this village had lost it's appeal. Her life was somewhere else.

Elaine didn't bother waiting for a response, instead she folded her arms across her chest and shut her eyes stubbornly, readying herself for whatever was to come next.

ImmortalSin
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!