Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Invasion of Calligraphy Brushes

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

The Invasion of Calligraphy Brushes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:12 pm

My senior year I worked in the office fifth hour with the secretaries -- delivering mail from room to room, making copies, that sort of thing. Most of the time they'd never have anything for me to do, so I'd be left bored and helpless.

Thankfully, Parabola decided (on a whim) to give me a writing prompt that I latched onto with fervor. I just found it now, and it was lulzy so I decided to post it. Hotmail addresses edited out just to be safe.

To: ViceVersus
Subject: The Invasion of Calligraphy Brushes
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:43:11 +0000

Task: Describe to me, in no less than 1500 words, the mass conquest of the United States of America by an unbeatable army of calligraphy brush wielding aliens.

Gogogo!

THE INVASION OF CALLIGRAPHY BRUSHES.

When they landed, there was chaos.

Not the pleasant sort of chaos, the sort you'd find at a circus or an entertainment palace. This was the chaos that often got people trampled, pushed, thrown back as the fist of human hysteria closed ..

It wasn't a particularly elegant entrance. Just a sleek alien spacecraft dropping out of the sky, engines shrieking like banshees - or maybe it was just the passengesr shrieking. It tore into the side of the Statue of Liberty, skipped through the Hudson river, and then skidded to a screeching halt in lower Midtown. Chaos.

While the craft seemed to be unharmed, the buildings, streets, and people all around lay torn and ravaged. Smoke coiled, curled up towards the sky - so did screams and sirens. The craft sort of glinted there, almost wickedly. Almost as though it were enjoying itself.

People following the wisps of smoke might have stared up at the heavens, wondering if God were playing the petulant child, simply throwing things at the precariously stacked towers of mortality. Who hadn't done that as a child? Built something up with love and tenderness, then struck it down in a fit of adolescent glee? New York City was that precious stack of alphabet blocks, then, and this hellish other-worldly thing .. it might have been a fist, another plaything ..

.. whatever you considered it, there it was. And it was there to stay.

The news networks were at a loss. To say ALIEN INVASION seemed much too unrealistic. And this was a realistic world, now, that we lived in. A world where things did not fall from the sky, where lives were free to go on without delay. The scenes of carnage were too real in the minds of New Yorkers to pretend that things hadn't happened. Already there were cries of The End, of another 9/11.

But there were a few people who remained calm even as the turmoil tightened. These were not the men and women who were staring at the wounded, at the rubble. They were (from behind cleosd doors, of cours) interested in only one thing. They were staring at the hull of this craft, waiting. Watching.

Waiting for when the doors would open.

When they did, there was instant quiet. Sirens wailed faintly, but there were no more screams. We watched, they watched, the whole world held their breaths. We all had one heartbeat - simply staring at that pale silver, oddly swept craft ..

They came bearing calligraphy brushes.

Out they marched with military precision. This was what They had been waiting for, those watchers. They felt something in the pits of their stomachs, a combination of 'I told you so' and 'What could we have done.' They lowered their heads, they took off reading glasses with shaking hands. there was nothing they could do.

The aliens were short and squat, with wide eyes but proud faces. They held the brushes to the sky, and the message was clear.

Humans were so intent on killing - blasting each other away on the streets, eradicating each other in wars. If not with guns and knives, then with words and harsh feelings. They were, it seems, in a self-destructive spiral. Why not help them, if they seemed so eager to destroy themselves? They held the brushes aloft, and the meaning, the symbolism was as sick as it was brilliant.

They meant to start fresh, to rip a new canvas. With broad steps the little aliens stepped from their ship, and began to rewrite history in wide unforgiving strokes, painted red with the blood of a desperate world.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: The Invasion of Calligraphy Brushes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby epicCANDY on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 am

This was so clever and fun, it made me giggle. ^^ I especially loved the description of how the people reacted to the invasion, and though it was all very dramatic and extreme (I loved the wide unforgiving strokes of blood) you kept it all in that light almost flippant tone. I dont really know how you did it but it kind of subtly points out the ridiculousness of the whole premise, whilst still giving the impression of dead seriousness. Anyhow, good job. ^^
I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

epicCANDY
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cer on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:31 pm

I love this! ViceVersus, I am terribly glad you are my soul sister now. (Not that I wasn't already.) I am going to warn all of my friends about the bloody end rended by the invasion of the calligraphy brushes! Actually, I own calligraphy pens. Am I secretly an alien? -conspirational giggle- Now that I'm done with my oddinary twaddle, I bid you good day and say that this is being bookmarked because it was extremely awesome.
[Thank you, Master!]
I am to love, honour, cherish, obey
Until my death and beyond my decay.

Cer
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:43 pm

This was. Absolutely epic.
Best line in a veritable Wal-Mart of good lines?

They meant to start fresh, to rip a new canvas.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!