Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Most Stereotypical Roleplay Ever: But Literate!

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

The Most Stereotypical Roleplay Ever: But Literate!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:53 am

Welcome to the aberrant, anomalous, and thoroughly intriguing world of the Ashling Academy. Here the strange, the wonderous, and the downright dangerous find sanctuary from the mundane world that threatens them every bit as much they threaten it. Set in modern day America, yet in an alternate version of world, one where magic was once real, and even common, the strange and unexplainable has been stamped out with the rise of science and technology, delegated to the shadows. Yet the myths, the folklore, each and every tall tale, all have their basis in reality. Here, at the Ashling Academy, teens caught up in the marvellous, but terrifying, underworld of magic come to find acceptance, learn to control their talents, and survive in this thrilling and dangerous world.

So, yeah. Its essentially the most stereotypical roleplay ever, a school of magical and mystical youngsters, but done with strict requirements on both literacy and quality of writing. Just like the title says! In this RP faeries are real, and their courts still war in secret. Vampires lurk in the shadows, and lycans howl at the moon. The gods of old still live, diminished in power by the lack of faith they recieve, but far from lost and forgotten. Your characters would be these creatures. A changeling child, left by the faey in place of a human babe. A young mage, struggling to control his blossoming might. A new vampire, pained by the new lot in un-life. Is it incredibly stereotypical? Is it uninspired and unoriginal? Yes, yes, and yes. Thats the point. On this site I often see such RP's, done with atrocious grammar, a complete disregard for spelling, and utterly no character depth or development. And I'd like to see, and participate, in one of higher quality. So I'm creating this interest check. Literacy will be a must, the game will not focus on romantic interactions and popularity, and your character will not be an uber powerful god who can kill anyone in a second. In this game we will deal with the realities involved in such a fantastical setting, focusing on character development, and a plot heavily flavored with a coming of age feel.

Let me know if your interested. But beware, if you are not literate, I will turn into a troll and consume your soul before I allow you to enter the gates of the venerable Ashling Academy.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: The Most Stereotypical Roleplay Ever: But Literate!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallen on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:47 am

I would definitely be interested in this role play. If you want to search my posts and see if I'm qualified feel free.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fallen
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:02 am

I'm sorry, but judging by your signature, avatar, and the posts I skimmed through, you are everything I hate in RPing, and exactly what I do not want in my RPs. I mean, come on, the first posts I found of yours on your profile, posts that somehow got rated with 5 stars, were character profiles for a typical school RP and a fucking Twilight RP. I'm sorry, but you seem to be everything I hate about this site.

I suppose I should say this, for future reference: I FUCKING HATE EMOS. I FUCKING HATE SCENE KIDS. I FUCKING HATE FURRIES. I FUCKING HATE TWIFAGS. If people call you any of these, whether or not you call yourself them, this is NOT the RP for you. I'm looking for a literate, mature cast. People who normally play school based and Twilight based RPs are EXACTLY what I DON'T want, and everything I'm trying to avoid by creating this RP.

Sorry for the fury, nicotine withdrawals and insomnia will bring it out in me when I'm presented with things I hate, and I did warn you in the opening post.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xersist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:18 am

Wow Gabe, not even holding back man, no sugar coating for you. I do agree with what your saying, however Fallen did not deserve a tongue bathing like that. I can tell she's fairly new.

Fallen don't take what Gabe said as a personal attack. I agree with what he says, but just not how he put it. Gabe is most likely tired and not getting sleep, so his output will most likely be slanderus, and rough.
From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli
We will fight our country's battles in air, on land and sea

First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean
We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine

Xersist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallen on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:20 am

Lol no no it's fine. Anyhow, good luck with your role play :).

Fallen
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:26 am

Xersist wrote:Wow Gabe, not even holding back man, no sugar coating for you. I do agree with what your saying, however Fallen did not deserve a tongue bathing like that. I can tell she's fairly new.

Fallen don't take what Gabe said as a personal attack. I agree with what he says, but just not how he put it. Gabe is most likely tired and not getting sleep, so his output will most likely be slanderus, and rough.

Yeah, this pretty much down to the tea. I have chronic insomnia, my ambien doesn't do jack shit, and I'm completely out of weed, cigarettes, and money. Thus, no sleep, nicotine withdrawals, and trouble biting my tongue and controlling my temper. I don't mean to insult anyone, I just have a hard time making nice when I'm in a such a fucked mental state.

Which arguably means I shouldn't be interacting with people, but fuck it, this is the internet, I'm avoiding people in real life, and being up at 3:24 in the morning, there isn't much else to do. Plus, having a creative outlet helps a bit, and I'm dealing with severe writer's block, and have no idea where I thought I wanted my script to go anymore, leaving me with roleplaying as my sole outlet at the moment.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xersist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:51 am

Huh, I see someone might be suffering from withdrawals as well. If you need all that stuff just to sleep, maybe stopping of the use of those items might be the first step in getting some balance to your rest period.

I will note that begin infront of a visual stimulus, IE, a Tv or Computer, sleep will be harder to achieve. Milk, Nyquil, books, and food are the best remedies for sleep. However insomnia is a whole'nother monster. Suggesting efforts wouldn't Hirt either though.

Xersist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:27 am

I've had insomnia for years, weed is the only thing that really helps me sleep, though I'm prescribed ambien as well. Going through nicotine withdrawals doesn't cause the insomnia, just makes being awake at this hour even more annoying, by adding a raging headache. Nyquil doesn't do jack for me, milk and food can help sometimes, but only when I'm stoned and that full feeling after the munchies are sated comes over you, otherwise its just a midnight snack. As for visual stimuli, I can only ever fall asleep with the TV on. my insomnia comes primarily from the fact that I have severe depression issues, and I can't ever shut my mind off. I have to have the TV on, so that I can just zone out on it and not think, otherwise I can't sleep at all, even with weed and ambien and food and nyquil, and all kinds of shit. But right now I'm wide awake, so I'm on the computer. When you've dealt with insomnia for as long as I have, you get to be able to tell when there is a possibility of sleep and when there isn't. Right now, there is no chance I could fall asleep. But I've only been up for around 36 hours at this point, so its not that big of a deal yet. When it hits the 168 hour mark is when I start to get really pissed. Though, I've only gotten to that point like 15-20 times, and I've had insomnia for as long as I can remember. I can usually manage to get to sleep around 96 hours in, just because after being up for 4 days your mind gets so addled that you can barely think, and you're already in a dream like state, and halucinating.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omega_Pancake on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:54 am

Oh, Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream! Make her the sweetest that I've ever seen!

Feel your pain, dude. Insomniac myself, though I've solved the thick of the problem by meditating at night. That way even if my brain doesn't sleep, my body gets the rest it needs. *shrug* Food for thought.

As for this roleplay, allow me to express entire spaghetti plates full of interest. *expresses with spaghetti plates*

See a word in my writing that you don't understand? Can't find the definition anywhere? I'm probably sponsoring it. Did you know that much of the communication we use today consists of only about seven thousand words? These poor dears have been removed from the dictionary--but you can help bring them back!

Omega_Pancake
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:10 am

Hmm... I have always enjoyed meditating when I'm baked, but I've never really got that deep into it, and I didn't realize it had such potential. I'll have to look into that, it'd be pretty cool to become a bad ass monk.

I'mma need to get me some parmesan for all this spaghetti.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeris Strife on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:44 am

Heh, I'm an insomniac too. After a few days though, I fall over and just snooze. It's because I have chronic recurring nightmares, and something in my mind won't let me sleep because of that. Probably the fear, but I really don't know.

Oh, and I'm interested, although I'm kind of new and haven't gotten into anything that interests me enough to post long posts, but I do like grammar and spelling a lot- I hate reading stuff written by people who apparently slammed their heads on a keyboard then hit sumbit. Illiteracy is probably the worst sin in the world to me... So yeah, I guess you can tell me whether I'm considered literate on here. I do misspell things here and there, but that's just because I don't spellcheck (I've never really needed to).

Oh and here's this: gives parmesan
Hey bitch, I don't care if it kills me
and I don't give a damn if it hurts
I'm going to live for the fun of it
Because this is my stinkin' life, not yours

Aeris Strife
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SousaTuba on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:10 pm

Aaaah. Finally! I've tried to start something along these lines myself but I am afraid I am unmotivated to try and get people interested.
Well, there you have it, I'm interested. I'm more of a fan of pesto on pasta, though.

SousaTuba
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phoenixrisen on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 pm

I may be interested... What in your mind constitutes a literate RPer? As far as my writing skills go, I know how to put a sentence together. I do, however, run on from time to time. I don't always proof as carefully as I should, and sometimes I only realize after the fact that I could have put a little more description into the environment around my character. My posts aren't always epic length. I do believe that there are times when it doesn't take a great deal of words to get a point across, and posts that are too long when directly interacting with other characters can give the RP flow a stilted feel unless it's handled very carefully.

I know how spell check works, and even if I don't necessarily remember all of the rules of writing from back in high school, I'm generally pretty good with flow. I'm of the mind that the most important parts of grammar involve: using the proper tense, proper version of a word, and punctuation that gives stops at the best points for flow. I also have a decently sized vocabulary, and am not afraid of using a thesaurus if I'm having a bad brain day and my word choices are getting repetitive in such a way that doesn't add to the mood of the post in question.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask them. Also, if you want to look at the posts that I've made in the RP's I'm currently in, feel free. Insomnia sucks, and there really is nothing worse than being unable to sleep and having nothing to do. I know that very well. One suggestion I don't think I've seen, but I could be wrong, is music. If you need something to zone out on, it can help sometimes. I've been through the whole PTSD thing, and I know when I was having an episode music helped. They're not the same thing, usually, I know, but I figured I'd put in my two cents as well. I hope that you manage to get some sleep soon. It can be very bad for both your body and your brain when you don't get enough sleep.

Phoenixrisen
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Phoneix, you seem plenty literate from that post. I don't care so much about quantity as quality, so don't worry that you'll have to write a novel every time you post, a paragraph is fine much of the time. As for music, I sing lead vocals for a band, and when I can't sleep I almost always end up spending time listening to music, and attempting to write my own. Still not a master guitar player, and I have difficulty coming up with the right chords, but it's a good release.

EDIT: Also, I'll work on getting this up soon as it looks like there is a decent level of interest. Would you guys prefer a single thread or tab RP?

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phoenixrisen on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:09 pm

It can be at that. Sadly RP seems to be the only place I'm not blocked lately. I used to write poetry, sometimes I'd try for songs. I've tinkered in music since I was a kid, but tinkering was all it ever really was. Also, thank you, and I don't think I've ever actually made an RP post that was less than two paragraphs. I think my average is around four paragraphs. I wish you all of the best, and do feel free to let me know when you get this up. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Phoenixrisen
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omega_Pancake on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Hmm...The thing I like about the roleplay tabs is the locations feature, but that seems to be a bit squee-wonked at the moment. If it gets back to working before you fire it up, Gabe, then that could be useful for keeping things in order and allowing students to go off and about on their own silly little adventures into scary places, but if it's not, a single thread would be fine too.

Omega_Pancake
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:09 am

Yeah, the problem I have with the tabs is that most of the time it won't let me add locations, or it will say it does, but not actually put them up. But it can still be nice to have all the character sheets and RP info in one place, and even the OOC and IC threads as well. I also like single thread RPs too though, as they're what I'm most used to. Essentially, I don't care much either way, I'll go with whatever everyone thinks would be best.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phoenixrisen on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:31 am

I like the tabs, particularly if there are a lot of people, but if there aren't going to be that many people, than keeping track of where everyone is shouldn't be that much of an issue. It is nice to have the nifty little characters tab to look at though, and apparently there's some thing with the locations where they'll only show up properly if you edit them or something like that... I was looking around trying to find out what was up with all posts in all locations and I think I saw something along those lines.

I've done both, I don't have a really marked preference, but for me at least, it's more convenient to just go through the tabs. I haven't had any issue with them really, but I have had issues with tracking forum type posts. At least with the tabs everything is always right where you left it.

Phoenixrisen
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!