Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Pioneer Project

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Pioneer Project

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am

2100. The Earth's population is bursting, resources are scarce, pollution and war ravages the planet.

Eventually a select group of politicians from around the world meet in secret, unknown to the main governments. They propose an experiment to see if Humanity can begin anew. The Pioneer Project of 2080 was sadly put on hold when the Great War began in 2089, but by plugging the last of the world's resources into it, maybe, maybe we can save ourselves.

The Pioneer Project is a Spaceship, using a Tau Hydrogen Drive, capable, in theory, of travelling at Lightspeed. The original aim was that, if the ship found a suitable planet, it could return home and rescue the rest of humanity. However only one spaceship was built, only enough for fifty people, and if the ship ever returned, the likelyhood is that Earth would have destroyed itself.

Quickly the greatest minds on Earth are assembled, but one vital part of the plan changes; upon touchdown to a suitable planet, the memories of all those on board will be wiped. Only their skills and basic functions will remain. As one of the politicians states; "It is absolutely vital that no trace of war hunger, greed or jealousy be present in their minds. They must be as loving, generous and happy as children, as intelligent and skillful as machines. They will create a Utopia by default; how can one kill if the word is not in his vocabulary?".

A moving argument indeed, but will these bad qualities show themselves to be inherant in all humanity? And will the crew find a way to preserve or restore their memories? Will they ever return home? And what society will they create on their new planet?

Bear in mind the crew do not know their memories will be erased. I may choose to reveal it to some characters via the plot however. The crew will include agricultural scientists, Astrophysicists, chemists and geological surveyors, navigators, doctors, councillors, food scientists, architects, people with the knowledge to preserve life either on ship or on their new planet. There are no weapons on the ship.

The Ship's computer is called Calvin.

Character Profile;
Name:
Skills:
Role on Ship (if any):
Role on Planet (if any):
Personality:
Appearance:

Skills: Practical and scientifically minded, can turn her hand to most things if given time.
Role on Ship (if any): Food scientist and Hydroponics assistant
Role on Planet (if any): Geological surveyor and agricultural analysist
Personality: Practical and determined, fairly honest and non-judgemental.
Appearance: Image
I am a member of DOL (Death to One Liners). If you are a DOLly, please add this to your signature.

So... Your character is amazing and attractive and powerful and interesting? Nice to hear. Prove it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tess
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: The Pioneer Project

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby python13579 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:51 am

Character Profile;
Name:Sune-ku Kami
Skills:Technology geek, can fix and reprogram computers
Role on Ship (if any):Technician
Role on Planet (if any):Medical technician
Personality:Calm and cool. Can be calm in the most disastrous of situations. When working on something, he doesn't like to be bothered until he's done. Even the simplest of duties he takes pride in.
Appearance:Short black hair, black eyes, wears black cargo pants, navy blue short sleeved shirt with a Cobra on it, and has round black sunglasses.
Last edited by python13579 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

python13579
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilencexGolden on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:11 am

Character Profile;
Name: Hayley Harrows
Skills: Creating Robotics.
Role on Ship (if any): Robotics/ Computer Technician
Role on Planet (if any): Robotics designer/creator.
Personality: She's quite open and detailed in the way she speaks, she's quite secluded in her work area on the ship but she doesn't mind the odd female visitor.
Last edited by SilencexGolden on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Thanks Mainee! ~ xox.
Please add your name to my list of people for my newest experiment: A Vampire's Masquerade (Interest Check)

SilencexGolden
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:42 pm

python in order for the project to work none of the crew would have war-related roles on the planet, or be allowed objects (such as uniforms), that would spur them on to do such things. Your character must have proactive and innocent roles. This means that if characters do develop war-related tactics and inclinations later on it will prove it "natural" to humanity rather than cultivated. The whole success of the pioneer project rests on the hope that Humanity is inherantly good. Maybe his role on the planet would be to be in charge of installing technology and power supplies, like he does on the ship. Change it how you want and I'll see what I think.

Silence yeah that's all cool, hopefully Hayley could design the mining robots and building robots when they get to the planet?

Tess
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby python13579 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Ok. Editing it now.

python13579
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:55 am

I'm confused, it's still not edited and it's been a week, lol. Ask some friends to join too if you want.

Tess
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:09 am

Humanity's saving throw? I like it.

Name: Chase Nobles
Skills: Thinks logically. Can juggle.
Role on Planet: Navigator. Resource manager. City planner.
Personality: Speaks simply. Generally lighthearted for the most part, rarely revealing his serious nature. This leads to him teasing others, sometimes to the point of hurting their feelings, without realizing. He isn't particularly well read in any mechanic or electronic field, but knows how to keep a society regulated and efficient.
Appearance: Just under six feet. Wears thin glasses and keeps his short brown hair back. His average build is hard to judge thanks to loose clothing. His myriad pockets are packed with books and pens, and he's normally seen awake while everyone else is sleeping--often taking notes, likely due to poor memory thanks to his patchwork sleeping habits.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby python13579 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:36 pm

Tess wrote:I'm confused, it's still not edited and it's been a week, lol. Ask some friends to join too if you want.

Sorry, my computer went crazy and I couldn't get on RPG. I'll edit it now.
...All done thank you.

python13579
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Low_End_Tone on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:40 pm

I'm quite interested, but I have one question before I start drafting up my character, does such a ship need a Pilot? If so that would be my characters role, if not I should be able to think of something else.
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

- Robert Frost, Reluctance

Low_End_Tone
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:53 pm

well it has more than one pilot, but your character could be the main pilot, acting captain if you want ^_^

python and epistaxis, your profiles are great, I'm making the IC now and I'll post it up here. Other people can still join, don't worry ^_^

IC ---> http://www.roleplaygateway.com/pioneer-project-t27286.html

Tess
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm only able to login once a day because of time restrictions, so I only have the time necessary now to tell you I don't have the time right now! Anyway, I'll be able to post tomorrow.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smeagle the Great on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:01 am

Name: Nathaniel Dearborn
Skills: Critical thinking/problem solving. Can perform complex calculations mentally in seconds.
Role on Ship (if any): No official role (Basically, whatever the rest of the crew asks him.)
Role on Planet (if any): Unknown yet. Some form of leadership role upon reaching adulthood.
Personality: Quiet and non-social. Unnervingly professional, Dearborn speaks like an adult and functions like a machine in stressful situations.
Appearance: 4'11, thin but not unnaturally so. Has light brown hair and green eyes.

Smeagle the Great
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Epistaxis on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:45 am

Finally got an Internet connection in my apartment! Expecting IC postings henceforth.

Epistaxis
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ronoth on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:38 am

(Assuming this is still open :-) )

Name: Alfred Hughes
Skills: Architect, Cello Player, good with manual labor as well--such as construction.
Role on Ship (if any): none
Role on Planet (if any): Architect, construction, musician.
Personality: Social, can't stand working alone for long periods of time. Enjoys goofing off but can work when needed: "Plays hard and works hard."
Appearance: A slightly below average height man, 5:7. Native German, large build, and a little overweight. Green eyes, black hair, skin is slightly dark. Lets his beard grow.

(Was thinking violence could potentially enter the society through music--Beethoven's 5th etc. But whatever works.)
btw, Epistasix listed navigation as a skill--he could be the secondary pilot.

Ronoth
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:44 pm

I like the music leading to violence idea a lot. Yes, secondary pilot away. I'm counting on all you ship operators to save us from the missile ^_^

Thanks for joining guys

Tess
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Melodic Salvation on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Name: Annalisa (Lis) Miene
Skills: Works well under pressure; high medical knowledge
Role on Ship (if any): Doctor
Role on Planet (if any): Doctor
Personality: Annalisa is very easy-going and lax. Her emotions and passion fuels her judgment, not practicality. She loves to laugh and make people laugh and tends to form a maternal bond with her patients. Though she tends to be impulsive, she is never reckless. She is very outgoing and loves to be around people in general.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Melodic Salvation
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:42 am

Welcome aboard Melodic Salvation. Post at will ^^)

Tess
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheIronYuppie on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:44 am

Sorry, I posted first without looking here >>

Name: Kurt Bruunstein
Skills: Nuclear Physicist. Also knows how to play chess quite well.
Role on Ship: Caretaker of the Fusion Reactor.
Role on Planet: Caretaker of the Power Station.
Personality: Kurt is a nuclear physicist from the United States. His family originally come from Germany but emigrated shortly before World War 2. He is analytical, made so by a myriad of errors in earlier work which killed several people in an experiment. He enjoys chess and games of strategy which help to sharpen his mind.
Appearance: Kurt has short brown hair, which is starting to thin out. He is clean shaven and slightly gaunt. He is 6' 1'' and usually wears a white lab coat. He has green eyes and usually keeps a collection of coins in his top pocket.

TheIronYuppie
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ExiledfromJudgement on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:41 pm

First off, Tess, I really liked the question about human nature that you included in this. Kudos for that.
A few questions: Do we know our memory will be erased? Could someone possibly write down something and then later come upon it? As for skills I assume that you mean learned information will be kept too?
I am asking because I wanted him to have a Journal that he writes in (Not a description of the way things on earth were like a diary, but a journal that he writes his research in and doodles in).

Character Profile;
Name: Nathaniel Alexander
Skills: Degrees in molecular biology and chemistry. Learns and thinks quicky.
Role on Ship (if any): Spends most of his time reviewing the latest scientific breakthroughs that occured on earth before he left.
Role on Planet (if any): Researches the new planet and it's plants/animals. In search of compounds that can be used in short of medical supplies.
Personality: Calm, reserved, honest, extremely curious, and quickly becomes facinated in something or someone he finds interesting. Daydreams frequently.
Appearance: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/ ... ntists.jpg
"I like a man who grins when he fights.” -Churchill

ExiledfromJudgement
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:30 am

as of yet none of the crew know their memory will be erased, although a few will find out. Small robots controlled by Calvin will attempt to remove physical traces of "restricted" material, and your journal would be on their list. However if your character finds an ingenius way of hiding it somewhere he'd discover eventually by accident, that would work fine. Even short entries on Calvin's strang behaviour might be enough to jog people's memories.

Calvin states he will give the crew all the information they "need". The Captain remarks that isn't always the same as what they "want,". Calvin may give enough information for basic survival, but the absence of any weapon data means the society may be open to predatory attack when they land.

Anyway jump right in, the profile's great ^_^

Tess
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!