Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Pokemon: Symbiosis

Pokemon: Symbiosis

a part of “Pokemon: Symbiosis”, a fictional universe by nonClemence.

Before the symbiosis, the world was one of uninhabitable extremes. Humans slowly tamed pokemon, turning the world into a paradise. But they also harnessed power, and two organizations, the League and Team Omega, have very different goals for the future.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Pokemon: Symbiosis”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] Pokemon: Symbiosis

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nonClemence on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:17 am

@Seirei...and to anyone asking about characters: I've posted in my character on there, and there are also some accepted characters there as well. Essentially, it's whatever's on the character app sheet, as well as a pokemon team put somewhere in there ^^

@Waterpicker: Unfortunately human and pokemon DNA (pDNA) are incompatible due to humans having only four nucleotide bases, while pDNA has six, which accounts for the broader scope of their genetic variability. It's counterintuitive at first, since the number of pokemon species are few, but owing to their powers, rather than the
environment shaping them, they shape the environmet, and the normal rules of natural selection do not apply.

@Tsukihana: Mind re-sending the char? I can't even view your character because there's no username to click.I thought mods could edit stuff like that? >.> EDIT: yeah, saw the resent version.

@Talisman: It depends. A skitty would take around a few hundred kilobytes, while a wailord would be around 2-4 gigibytes, depending on gender and subspecies. (The female is actually the larger of the two sexes here). The subspecies that tends towards the warmer waters in the equator tends to grow to smaller sizes by as much as 30% less than their arctic counterparts, who with their largers sizes manage to trade in resouce requirement for a greater surface area to volume ratio, keeping in vital body heat.

No attempt yet has been made to fill up the entire storage of one PC with as many wailords as possible, and the capacity is purely theoretical. Some critics say that the redundancy would result in a recursive error on pat of the program and duplicate the wailords until the whole planet was overrun by them, or it would simply blue screen and delete all the poor wailords from existence.

@RedRaine: Nope. You're not limited to starters. The scope covers the first to fifth gen, (except for legendaries) with a little leeway should you choose to create your own pokemon, as long as it fits in with the ethos of 'mons. In fact, I myself think that someone who has a few years between their receiving their first pokemon would be a more interesting character, since they've already built up a history. But it depends, you might be able to make it work. ^^

@Pika: Sure. I won't even know you're there ;3

@Animality: The premise is entirely non-canon, and doesn't diverge from any preexisting histories. You could still use his character though--it'd be modified to fit the symbiotic world. Like--say, what would Giovanni be if he'd been born in this Universe? At least that's what I meant it to be. However, more on that below...

---------------------------

SO. I need suggestions from you guys. I seem to have a problem with creating the locations. Mainly one of scale--after all, the premise covers the whole Earth >.< I hadn't thought of this at first (silly me), since the original RP this was based on (and kind of left, since my interests deviated from that of the GM's :[) was a simple new region opened up, attracting new trainers who travelled there (main plot).

Obviously, i'd want to make it more than that!

The problem really is one of complexity. And immersion and practicality. (Or perhaps I am overthinking this).

Picking a single region from a continent and focusing on there would seem too small in scope--and limiting. However with multiple regions there's the question of redundancy--would we really need all those areas when some are very similar to others? A compromise between the two would be some barebones population centers spread across the
globe. Kind of unrealistic, but it would be doable. Alternately, we can simply use the locations of the 1st to 5th generation pokemon games, while recognizing that the events that transpired with them would not apply anymore. It would be the easiest route, but we'd have to keep reminding ourselves.

a.) The alternative is for me to direct the plot, narrowing down the locations to what is available in the present.

b.) Or, how about we make coming up with the locations a collaborative effort? Each one of us would contribute in a city, or outskirts area.

For a.), There will be pretty much two starting available starting points (I like to call them nodes in my head) for a character to begin with. You'll have someone in the same situation as someone within the League, and the variation arises from different motivations and dreams for being int he League.

The other node would be with Sandy, where, for various reasons, they have abandoned the League and are wandering in the outskirts. Again, there is room for diversity here, whether some wish to undermine the League or simply to be left alone.

And then i'm sure I (or we, should you have any ideas) could sew those two perspectives together into some awesome story arc.

For b.), It will be much like a free-play world. You'd be responsible in creating your own adventure.

So...shall it be a, or b...or c?
:3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

nonClemence
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephyr on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:59 am

I'm thinking that broadening the perspective of the Role Play to encompass more than one region would be a bit redundant to start with... I'd say keep it to a minimum of one region for now, and when the RP expands a little, add subsequent regions. That way we can avoid people posting actions in one region and being bound to that region until someone else does. That is, however, just my input.
Hello, friends...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zephyr
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Yeah, one region for now sounds good. We can always branch out later on as things develop. That allows for a more focused experience . Perhaps have the other regions, if we manage to branch out, are oriented towards extremes, such as tundra, desert, mountainous, forested and such. But begin with something decent in the middle geographically and climatically. Also, one region lets interaction between players... So they won't be across on the other side of the world. Not fun trying to play with people when they all are in different places.

Course, that's me ramblin'. Take it for what it's worth.

As for A) and B), I'm not completely sure... Past experiences have taught me that player driven isn't... always the best idea. 'Course that depends on the Role-player their self. Not sure how to gauge that... Perhaps a mix?

Oh yeah, since other's have posted their characters, I'll go and make mine... I wanted examples before I made mine...

Saying that... It may be similar to a couple in format.

((Well... It looks like I've already fell in love with Jack's team while I was writing their personalities... Especially Leafy and Whisper. I'll be heartbroken if this doesn't take off.. Know what? My manly-man exterior has cracked enough for me to say this without regret... SQUEE! *Flaps arms madly*))
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Talisman
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Animality Opera on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Hmm... Well, to keep it from being entirely canon, could we have a "Rocket Mafia" that once existed to steal Pokemon and abuse their powers, run by Giovanni, but that was disbanded after his disappearance?
And I'm pretty sure that I'm only human;;
Then again I could be [W R O N G]

Animality Opera
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drake Nightwing on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:34 pm

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure. The main character I tend to use for such roleplays tends to hail from my own made-up region called Vokhan. It's primarily supposed to be a sub-tropical region, but it's more or less based mostly on Australia, though it has elements of China and Russia mixed in as well. The climate of Vokhan is varied--mostly temperate, but it also has a vast desert and a very cold snowy mountainous region up in the north.

In any case, for the purposes of THIS roleplay, I agree with the others--a region limited to one continent would be useful, biomes notwithstanding.

A combination of both player-driver and GM-driven would be good. The players can mainly write out where they want to go, what they want to do, but in any major situations Fate (i.e. the GM) can choose to decide whether or not that player is ultimately successful in his/her endeavor. Like, for example, say there's a major Pokemon battle and my main character's Pokemon gets critically injured in the fight. The wounds suffered may be mortal if not treated immediately, but there's no Pokemon Center around for miles and the PokeBall used to recall it is damaged and cannot be used to return it to safety.

My character decides, perhaps against better judgment, to do field surgery right then and there with whatever (limited) tools at his/her disposal, despite the fact he they very little knowledge and almost no practical skill in doing so. Of course, the odds are severely against them, but somehow, somewhat perhaps Fate smiles upon them and the Pokemon is at least temporarily stabilized until it can get professional treatment.

...That's, probably not the best example, but I'm sorta trying to pull mainly from this other roleplay I'm in at the moment which uses a similar system which is completely GM run for battles against wild Pokemon and NPC trainers. >_> Sooo, xD yeah

I do have two major questions--one, is vehicular travel allowed in this RP? I just want to know because I don't want my character to be rip-roaring around on a motorcycle if its not allowed. I understand technology level is supposed to be around modern-day, so my main character isn't exactly going to be stomping around in the countryside in some advanced bipedal walker and giving his Pokemon lightsabers to fight with (>XD lmao) but I only ask out of curiosity.

And secondly, are cybernetics allowed? Nothing too outrageous, mainly just cybernetic prosthetics, but I wasn't sure if anything like that would be acceptable. Just thought to ask before submitting a character sheet.

Drake Nightwing
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sorence on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:18 pm

I say lets stick to one reigion. We can still make the area and submit it to you though. Does the city or town have to ACTUALLY exist in the pokemon world or can we just make it up?

In response to Talisman... SQUEEEE *Flaps arms madly*

Sorence
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sorence on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Also, anyone want to team up in the beginning? Like travel from the start or not

Sorence
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nonClemence on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Hmm...so a single region it is then. I'll better get to work ^^ Will also be posting the first post very soon.

@Drake: I probably won't take the role of Fate. What a heavy responsibility Dx. But definatly I will be introducing whatever travesties may occur, and it's up to the players to make do with the situations as they see fit.

And yeah, motorcycles are indeed available. However, they're an oddity to a few hobbyists, and most people rarely make use of them as modes of transport, as there are pokemon much more mobile and speedier than they. Indeed you may have cybernetics (which would be kind of cool ^^), but I suppose the term "fully-functional prosthetic" is a better one to describe it. You know, one that doesn't shoot lazors.

@Animality: Yeah, that sounds good. Send in teh apps x3

nonClemence
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drake Nightwing on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 am

Awesome. I'll be submitting my character sheet later on today then, likely after I've had a good night's rest.

I have a good idea on who I want to submit--though I was originally going to have an independent trainer myself but seeing as how there's already a good amount of them--and with the sole exception of one, the others have leanings towards Team Omega if not part of Team Omega itself.

In light of this, simply to make sure that there's at least ONE (and partly just to be non-conformist) my character will be part of the League. x3 I'll just have to make some minor variations but nothing too extreme.

Drake Nightwing
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nonClemence on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:39 am

I has made region. I has posted.

By the way, as a League trainer, you can make your way in through the strait, through ship (or be already in the continent). Planes or flying in won't work, as you shall soon see x3 Obviously, those without League identification can't make it in normally, and we're kinda wanted around these parts, unless you can get ahold of a haxxed pokedex or have someone with ID be your scout.

nonClemence
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drake Nightwing on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 pm

Alrighty. Went ahead and added character data! :3 Will post sometime later on this afternoon, possibly this evening.

Drake Nightwing
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Ha.

Tekno Lahjik.

Very clever, very clever indeed.

Talisman
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drake Nightwing on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Talisman wrote:Ha.

Tekno Lahjik.

Very clever, very clever indeed.

xD Thanks. For some reason, not a lot of people get the pun... Don't know why, I think it's fairly obvious myself, but...*shrug*

Drake Nightwing
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 pm

... I want to post... But I don't want to interject myself in the middle of the fight. But I don't want to be by myself either... Oh sigh, the conundrum...

I had already typed out a post where Jack and his pokemon did get involved slightly (Very, very, very slightly... It was pretty much just saying that Jack and his Poke's were in the immediate area and if something should go wrong he'd pick up the slack.)

'Course, I didn't post it... Because of what I said earlier.

Talisman
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Well you could have yourself stationed over at the town. My character is heading there tout suite. She's currently looking for any information on Zapdos or any secret caves and etc. If you'd like of course.

Feel free to control as you wish if you need to do an intro type of thing.
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:26 pm

You know, I might go a head and do that...

As for the other post I had written out, I feel it's such a waste to not share it, so... Yeah

Jack's entrance: Prototype:

The sounds of another scuffle, a little bit away from the current skirmish, could be heard in the distance. It followed the pattern of cracks of lightning, telling that whatever was going on, it was with electric pokemon. Then there was a pause in the symphony of pops and cracks. Perhaps whatever was going on had stopped and the pokemon had gotten what they were after... However, eventually, the soft rhythmic thumping of a set of paws could be heard emanating from the opposite end of the clearing. As the thumps reached the apex of their song, the paused suddenly. This lull was shattered by a stream of flame erupting from the end of the woods, dragging a mass along with it. As the flames died down, the mass was shown to be a collapsed Luxio.

Another pause, then a mash of reddish fur exploded into the opening and giving what would could be called a rolling growl from the Pokemon's diaphragm. The pokemon first directed it's growl at the downed Luxio, but realized it was not alone anymore and glanced at the battlefield as if guaging what it had jumped into. A Flareon. It's fire-red fur was gently waving, as if the entire creature was alight in flames itself. It then began to growl again... Strange however, was that it's growl was not directed to the Trainers, but to the hostile Jolteon, a cousin of the Flareon. The Pokemon began to pace back and forth off to the side of the battle, baring it's smallish fangs. Every now and then, the Flareon glanced back into the woods, as if expecting something.

The question of what it was expecting was answered moments later as a Raichu erupted beside the Flareon, taking a position beside it, in the same threatening manner. The fur on the Raichu was raised on end and little arcs of electricity could be seen skittering across it's body. The Raichu glanced at both trainers, the one with the Espeon, and the other with the Ninetales, and hummed, "Chu!" As if trying to imply it wished to help. The Flareon glanced at it's partner for a second, and the Raichu returned the gaze with a nod. This is what the wanted, they wanted to help.

The two pokemon began to circle the battlefield, opposite from each other, the Flareon moving toward the Trainer with the Ninetales, and the Raichu moving towards the Trainer with the Espeon. Each pokemon watched the Jolteon intently, awaiting any hostile action directed at them or at the trainers. They began to look for openings, but stayed out of the fray... The Trainer with the Ninetales had already allowed his Eevee to handle the Jolteon on it's own and they wished not to interfere and endanger themselves or the Eevee.

By this point, another reason why the two pokemon was hesitant to enter the fray was apparent. They both were panting heavily and tufts of fur were knocked out of line. They had been in another scuffle earlier, only minutes ago. More than likely against the Luxio. Again, they both stole glances back into the forest, as if for searching something. Again, the glances were answered with the entrance of a trainer in a white button-up shirt. He stopped at the edge of the space and glanced at the scene he had walked into.

This trainer wore the same fatigued and rough visage as the pokemon, clearly who were his as he nodded at both of them. In the trainer's arms, there was another. It was Chikorita, but it was more injured than the two who had appeared first. It wore scuffs and abrasion on it's skin and it's leaf leaned tiredly to one side. The pokemon was asleep in the trainers arms, fatigue having wrapped poor pokemon's in it's embraced. He looked at the two trainers and shook his head

Then the trainer spoke. "Light," the Raichu pricked his up ears at the mention of his name, "Sabre," The Flareon did the same, "Give the Eevee back-up only if it needs it," He said. This wasn't to be spiteful to the trainers or anything, the trainer just knew that his pokemon were tired and didn't want them to put themselves into any needless danger...

Talisman
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sorence on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:35 pm

SOOOOOO MUCH TO READ.

I posted, now I'm going to read. Has nothing to do with anyone at the moment.

Sorence
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:12 pm

*Flails arms wildly* SQUEEE!

... Ahem. Right. Sorry about that. It's just that Lightning and Sabre's interaction with each other is just so darn fun and cute! Though... I think I am failing to flesh out Jack as much. I'll try harder for him.

Wow, my pokemon and my posts is a mood whiplash compared to these other characters and the dark overall tone...

((Also, if you caught it, I haven't completely figured out if Flareon and it's brethren are Foxes... or Cats.))

Talisman
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sorence on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:36 pm

Love the way you used cute Talisman. Very fun word. Believe Flarion is a fox which is in the dog family. look up fox and it is under Canidae which is where Domestic dogs are

Sorence
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:01 am

So, can it be safe to assume that the "Hotel" and "Pokecenter" are the same...? Say like A Pokecenter with a Hotel built on to it?

Would make sense, no? Well, either way, after Raine's next post, we should be able to time this thing correctly to have a run with Tekno (Lahjik, Hah. That still gives me a kick.) and Sorrence in the morning.

Apologies if I assume too much.

Talisman
Member for 15 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!