Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

[OOC] Undead Horrors

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Undead Horrors

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Link to actual roleplay (IC): roleplay/undead-horrors/

Link to Interest check: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/undead-horrors-t68945.html

"The sun glared brightly over the town of La Guerir, Just an average day for the town.
It was around 5:00 PM, a spring day.
The town centre around the lake was bustling with activity; circus events, shows, singers...
People were on boats over the lake, enjoying the weather. The sun, reflecting light off of the water, the fish swimming
freely in the lake. You hear the sound of children laughing, people talking, traffic on the roads, and even the occasional plane."

This is a zombie survival horror themed roleplay, set in a present day time, in a fictional town in America.

Writing
You should write in third person for your character. You can't control other people's characters, unless it's something minor like "the group walked over to the cafe, looking inside to check for any signs of life." I'm not really bothered about how much you write, it's all good.

Main elements

You have 4 inventory slots. The roleplay is set right before, possibly a few hours, before an outbreak of zombies ruins the city. Your character isn't some super sayian zombie killer who can kill a zombie by poking it, these zombies are slightly tougher than left 4 dead zombies, probably around the original resident evil type zombies. You also probably shouldn't be able to find so much stuff that you'd have to carry around three shopping trolleys and a camel to carry all of your stuff.
Also, only slightly related, but chainsaws are NOT the ideal killing weapon. You can use them, but don't expect much.

And ammo will probably be short, so make the most of it. Don't just randomly find a full bag of unlimited ammunition, that's not really fair.

If you ran out of carrying space, then you can either drop items anywhere or just swap them out for something if your character were to find another item. Or you can trade items with people.

Starting off
You start in whatever location you want. You can choose whether or not you want to meet up with anybody, you might decide that you want to be a lone wolf, you might decide you want to make a group with people and possibly even rival another group for some reason (if the roleplay gets that far/big enough)

You can choose basically an advantage that you have, and one disadvantage. For example, you could start with a .357 revolver and, say, 12 rounds, but a disadvantage you give yourself is that you can't run that fast, or you're weaker with melee objects (Just as an example).

Some examples of advantages:
A weapon, such as a wooden stick, a knife,a revolver or handgun.
A skill, such as being smaller and slimmer than other people so you can fit into tight spaces to access areas that others can't, being a skilled lock-picker ( you'll be able to use lockpicks to open things better or faster than others, without breaking the lockpick as often), better at melee than others, or you could be more agile than others like you can do freerunning, opening up more areas for yourself, or a vast knowledge of weaponry so you'll be able to combine a few items
-An item, such as a lighter, a first aid kit, a backpack (extra slots to carry stuff with) or a lockpick set.

Some disadvantages:
Fewer inventory spaces, not able to run as fast as others, clumsy, binge drinker, drug addict, or being injured at the start.

You can make your own, these are just to help people with deciding what they want.

Or you could just ignore this whole part and just start out with nothing. It's entirely up to you.

Locations:
This is a list of the locations i'm thinking about having in the city (whether or not they're actually visited or not), feel free to suggest more.
-Office buildings
-Garage areas
-Zoo
-Park
-shopping centre
-Police station
-Public aquarium
-Museum
-Subway
-Train station
-Hospital
-Pub/bar
-Normal houses
-forest (surrounding the town)
-Sewer
-Bus station
-School
-Sports centre
-Gun store
-Abandoned buildings
- Town centre
- Graveyard
- Chemist/Pharmacist
- Swimming baths
- Hairdressers
- Pet shop
- Banks
- Car dealer
- Church
- Forest hut

Feel free to suggest more places that i'm probably missing.

Map:
birds' eye view version:
or the link:
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj39 ... pforRP.png

Little black circles in the road indicate a manhole.
Purple buildings are houses.
White areas are abandoned buildings (houses, factories, shops etc..)

Just imagine that there's way more houses and a few more streets inbetween the important locations, i just had to kinda draw it so that everything would be visible... and i really didn't want to spend a day drawing loads and loads of houses all over. The map doesn't have to be exactly how the town looks, it's just to give people an idea to go on how it looks.
Oh, and if it looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old, it's because i've been slightly occupied lately, i didn't want to spend too much time on it, and also because the only program i have is paint. That and my artistic skills aren't good anyway, but it's not about my art.

Character sheet:
[Character name] (Health status, start out as "fine" usually)
1. Revolver (6)
2. .357 Rounds (3)
3. First aid kit
4.Lighter, small knife
Picture: (If any)
Advantage: (if any)
Disadvantage: (If any)

The items are just there for examples of how the inventory system will work.

You'll be able to fit 2 small items in the same space, so like a knife and a few loose bullets. Not like a tank and a personal army though.

Zombies:
I mentioned the zombies a little, but not fully. They're slow, classic zombies from the likes of the early resident evils. Probably only killed from damaging the head or from blood loss. Your character doesn't actually know this or anything about the zombies to start with though, possibly only that they're zombies after realising it. But there may be some surprises later on..

Health:
Everyone is prone to accidents, it's natural. You can be injured not just by zombies, but by falling over, unsafe buildings, getting run over by a car.. (maybe not so often though).
You'd need healing to get back to full health.
You start out as "fine", but this may easily change. If you let yourself get too bad, you'll be limping around and slumped over, definitely not in good shape.
I'm also not sure yet if i should include an "infection" thing, where you get infected once you are bit, and a timer reaching down to death and zombification. This might make it too complicated though.

Characters:

Chris: (Fine)
Small backpack:

Disadvantage:
Weaker than others. Can't take too much damage before being seriously hurt.

Advantage: Small
Disadvantage: Clumsy
Advantage: River is very strong and able to use a gun well.
Disadvantage: He is slow on foot, as well as a borderline alcoholic and has had numerous run ins with law enforcement.
Location: River is currently being detained at the police station.
Advantage: She is small, agile and athletic as well as clever.
Disadvantage: Because Astrid is so little, she is quite weak; she also does not know how to properly use a gun and has terrible sense of direction.
Location: She is currently en route to the police station to pick up and post bail for her brother, River.
Special Ability: Due to her recent career as a mechanic, Addison is highly knowledgeable in the area of repairing and modifying a variety of vehicles. This comes with extensive experience behind the wheel of many vehicles.

Feel free to suggest anything or ask questions, i'm not too happy with the name i've made up for the roleplay so suggestions are welcome if you can think of a better one.

Oh, if i make it sound like there won't be that much zombie killing, there will be plenty of zombies. More than enough, actually. I just want to make it clear that there won't be a rocket launcher, mounted machine gun, tank, and a dozen survivors in every room you visit.
Last edited by cool4345 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:23 am, edited 8 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

cool4345
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Undead Horrors

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mummydove on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 am

Rose Stone (Fine)
Advantage: Small
Disadvantage: Clumsy

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mummydove
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:51 pm

That's great, i've added it to the list of characters.

Edit:
I'm thinking about adding a map of the town as well, so it's easier to know where everything is. Currently thinking from which view it should be at (like a birds eye view, or an isometric view etc)

cool4345
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mummydove on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:21 am

Umm maybe birds eye view, idk what a isometric view is lol

mummydove
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:36 pm

An isometric view is a slightly different birds' eye view, it shows more detail like buildings and objects etc, because it's from an angle and lower down than a birds eye view.
An example would be this: http://linuxart.com/dir/stuff/misc/ny_isometric.png

I decided i'm going to draw a crappy birds eye view and send it to a friend who will hopefully be able to draw a better isometric view, but i'll add both in case one of them is too complicated or doesn't show everything.

I also added "church" and "forest hut" to the list of locations, anything else i should add or remove? need more opinions.

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mummydove on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Hmm think the one's you have up is fine, people can add more if they like I believe ^-^

mummydove
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:29 am

Yeah, i think i probably added a little too many locations, so i removed one or two, such as the airport. There's no reason that planes can't still be flying overhead, but there won't be an airport in the area.

I'm almost done with the map. It doesn't look great, but i didn't design it so that it would look good, just so that it would give people a basic idea of how the town looks. It won't include everything such as every house, since i think it would take too much time to do like that, and i know that you all probably want to get started sooner rather than later.

Also, the map will probably make the town seem quite small. Just imagine that it's bigger than how it actually appears on the map, such as the forest being a lot bigger than just a few trees.

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mummydove on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 am

Hmm okay

mummydove
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:41 am

I finished the map, and uploaded it onto the first post.

It does look a little crappy, but i didn't want to spend too much time on it. Just imagine that it's more detailed and there's more houses, roads and probably another bar around, i just didn't want to make it too detailed so that it would be impossible to see everything because of the size.

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby St.Valentine on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Name: River Blaine
Advantage: River is very strong and able to use a gun well.
Disadvantage: He is slow on foot, as well as a borderline alcoholic and has had numerous run ins with law enforcement.
Location: River is currently being detained at the police station.

St.Valentine
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby St.Valentine on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Name: Astrid Blaine
1. Pepper spray
Advantage: She is small, agile and athletic as well as clever.
Disadvantage: Because Astrid is so little, she is quite weak; she also does not know how to properly use a gun and has terrible sense of direction.
Location: She is currently en route to the police station to pick up and post bail for her brother, River.

St.Valentine
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:11 am

I added your characters to the OP.

I decided I'm going to post the roleplay tomorrow. Hope that's okay with everybody.

Also, this is my character:

(I actually tried to use this as my profile picture here back when i first started, and i guess it never worked)
(Oh, and i didn't draw it, my friend drew it for me.. it's an old drawing now, but i still like it)

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:32 am

So i'm going to post the roleplay today.

I've been thinking about using the built in roleplay feature on the website to create it.

I haven't actually used it before, so i don't know if i would be able to use it well. But, here's why i'm thinking about using it:

1. On the forums, you stop being able to edit posts after what seems to be about a month. This would be a very big problem after a month, because i have to edit the opening post whenever a character picks something up, becomes hurt, when a new character is introduced, when a character drops or trades something... So this would make it not only difficult to keep track of what's going on, but also pretty confusing, and you all probably know how annoying it is when a character is introduced and they have no idea what's going on or if a character were to still have an item in the opening post that they don't have any more.

In short, it would make it very confusing.

2. I've had a look, and the roleplay system seems to be quite organised. I would be able to make a section for each location in the roleplay.. This would be handy if a location was visited later on in the roleplay, so that you don't have to dig through loads of posts to find out if someone's already visited that location and to see if they left anything there, or if there's anything useful that hasn't already been taken.

The only downside to using the built in roleplay feature, is that you would have to edit your own characters for when you pick up an item or drop an item, etc. I wouldn't be able to do that for you.
So you would have to remember to do that, and i'm not sure if there's a limit on how many times you can edit your character.

So what do you say, should i do it on the forums, or on the built in roleplay feature?

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby St.Valentine on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 pm

It sounds like the built in feature has more pros than the forum. I can remember to update t character. But if there is a limit, we could always use the OOC to post updates.

St.Valentine
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:39 am

I decided in the end that it would be better to use the built in feature. The roleplay is here:
roleplay/undead-horrors/

It also generated a second OOC, so i guess we can use both of them or whatever. I'm not sure if it would be possible to link this OOC to the roleplay..

Anyway, can you please all add your characters to the character section and i'll approve them. Just use my character as an example for the different fields, the inventory part goes with the equipment section and so on.

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm

I've created most of the locations which might be visited in the town, in the locations section of the roleplay. There's a few left to do, but i don't think anybody has planned to visit them just yet, so they weren't as important, it's mostly just the north east side which i left out. You can start to send your characters in and i'll go ahead and approve them.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that i'm doing the locations like this:

Once you enter a building or area, you post that section in the related location. For example, say you were travelling to the police station, you'd say something like this in "Streets of La Guerir":

"Laura drove in her car to the police station. She was late to her job, but was almost there. She parked up outside, exited the car and went inside the police station."

Then, you'd post the rest in the "police station" section.

If you are travelling to your house, then you can post the whole thing in the "Streets of La Guerir".

Edit #900,821:
I realised that i forgot to give my character a disadvantage, so i just added one now.

Yay, another edit:

I'm going to give you guys time to make characters and post before i post my next post (i've already drafted it up and pretty much finished it).

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:03 pm

So now that we have almost everybody in the roleplay, i thought i'd mention that i'm planning on starting the outbreak of zombies in my next post in the roleplay, after the one i just posted. I'm thinking about the zombies starting in the centre of the city and gradually enveloping the whole city, so the outskirts of town will be probably less aware of what is happening.

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:03 am

I now have the post where the zombies start to appear. I'm just going to wait for you guys in case anybody wants to make any more posts in their character's normal day before the zombies are introduced.

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SarahGracie on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Hey! Just wanted to say that I really hope this roleplay takes off. It has the potential to be a barrel of fun! Can't wait to get some Zombie killing action going!

My posts will probably shorten a bit once Addy meets up with some other peeps. I'm not 'always' so long winded, hehe.
A successful novel should interrupt the reader’s life, make him or her miss appointments, skip meals, forget to walk the dog. - Stephen King

The same should apply for an RP.

SarahGracie
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Contributor Visual Appeal Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cool4345 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:15 am

Me too. I'm actually trying to keep this one together now by PMing the other people to check they're still active, rather than just giving up like i did the first time.

Also, when you guys are posting, remember to tag your character in the post by typing your character in the small box below the post, and then clicking your character when it pops up. Otherwise it won't say who is in the post, and it might get a little confusing.

Oh and i'll probably be the same, my first few posts were long so that it would seem more interesting, but my posts will probably gradually get shorter sometimes.

cool4345
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!