Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Rapture Origins

Rapture Origins

a part of “Rapture Origins”, a fictional universe by hollywood.

The time is 1945. The place, a city submerged at the bottom of the sea. Will you leave life as you once knew it for a chance at something more?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Rapture Origins”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Rapture Origins

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 pm

I am ANDREW RYAN, and I'm here to ask you a QUESTION: Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
'NO!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.'
'NO!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.'
'NO!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.'
I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the IMPOSSIBLE. I chose... RAPTURE!--- a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, RAPTURE can become your city as well.

------ ANDREW RYAN, 1946

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

hollywood
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Author Promethean World Builder Lifegiver

Re: Rapture Origins

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belshazzar on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Yo I was actually JUST about to make a roleplay of this.

You beat me to it! Haha. Although, I will let you know now, I have only played the games, I am not familiar with the book.

Anyway, my face claim will be Ben Wishaw (as he appears in The Hour). I want to go an artist route with him, but not as successful as the painters, sculptors, and musicians. I want him to be a movie director (an aspiring one anyway), but because of his failures, he kind of sympathizes with the working class and aligns himself with Fontaine. At the same time, most workers can't help but view him as part of the upper class due to the way he forces himself to talk and how he dresses. It's difficult, because he seems to reside between the two worlds.

"I want to create art that highlights the plights of the common man. The man weeping when he thinks he is alone, the man sweating to feed his family, the man vainly struggling to get close to others. I want this sorrow to seep into my work, I want the audience to feel it."

Here's an image for you to fiddle with: http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/12/45/768 ... hour_3.jpg

My favourite character is Sander Cohen. I love the mad artists! <3

I hope my concept is alright with you.
When I was a child,
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look, but it was gone,
I cannot put my finger on it now,
The child is grown,
The dream is gone
I have become
comfortably numb.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Belshazzar
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Hey, Belshazzar! You don't say? Haha I've been sitting on this idea for a while. I made an interest check like.. gee, a year ago? I played around with designing things and only now decided to post it and see what would happen!

I've only played the games, too, myself! I'm dying to read the book, but I haven't taken the time for the leisure reading :')

A movie director, I see. Yeah, I like it. Now, when you say Fontaine, do you mean Frank Fontaine or do you mean ATLAS? Because I know before Fontaine was killed he was already trying to sway the working and lower classes. Either way, if you want to go ahead and start working with the character sheet than I a-okay with me! The Fontaine/ATLAS technicality isn't that big of a deal at all. I like the concept!

(Also, me too! Sander Cohen is such an eccentric riot!)

hollywood
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Author Promethean World Builder Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belshazzar on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Ah, sorry, I meant Atlas! His whole "liberating the people" thing and the rise of the working class, that sort of stuff. :) Of course, stuck in the middle, my guy has a hard time devoting himself to one side of the war, even though he knows he can't be that way forever.

I work tonight pretty late, but I'll start on my form tomorrow.

I have a lovely book I found on the various philosophies of Bioshock that I want to read pretty badly, it has some cool stuff. Ugh, now I just want to play through the games again, haha.

Belshazzar
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I thought that was what you meant, but I just wanted to be sure! I'm sure that's gonna be an interesting conflict later down the line. I like it!

Yeah, man! No rush. There's going to be about 10 or so characters I'm going to let join, but right now it looks like we're still pretty 'lax.

Hey, I think I might've heard of that! What's it called? Someone I'm friends with was talking about something they came out with talking about BioShock Infinite's lore, ya know? lmao you should it's so fun I replayed it a few months ago to get the Historian achievement.

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belshazzar on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Hmmm, I think it was just called "Bioshock and Philosophy". I have it on my shelf to read some day.

I have only played Infinite once, but I've played the first game like 6 times haha.

I'll be sending in a W.I.P. today. :)

Belshazzar
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Haha of course that's the name DUH :')

Have you played Bioshock Infinite's DLC? The one that takes place in Rapture? I was actually wondering if I wanted to include that story as a part of the main plot you know? I love Elizabeth (I actually cosplayed as her from the DLC a few years ago!) but I'm not sure if I ought to include her and the Burial at Sea game in the roleplay. EH. Something to figure out.

I saw and went ahead and approved! I'm liking James so far! :) Take your time, honestly. There's not as much interest in this roleplay as I thought so I'm gonna be a little more relaxed on running it.

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belshazzar on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:14 pm

I watched my boyfriend play the DLC, but honestly, I only caught bits and pieces of it. :/

Soooo I'm not entirely sure of what happens.

Maybe post in the Roleplayer's Wanted forum? I'm not sure if that does anything, but maybe people browse it? I'll work on him some more today. Thanks!

Edit: I'm also super jealous of your cosplay, oh my gosh, I want to do one so badly. I hope to do hers some day. I really want the one from the beginning of the game, when you rescue her, or the one from the DLC.

Belshazzar
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Oh, okay! It's pretty good, though I know a lot of fans have issue with it. I'm not sure if I'll include it, and I don't wanna spoil it if you plan on playing it at some point. It does deal heavily with the origin of some big plot moments and with a lot of the important characters from the original game so... I'll just have to see. I've got some other people supposed to come in to join the roleplay so I may ask their opinion on it and what should be like.. the substitute event that causes certain things to happen. :)

Oh, yea right! Good idea! I really have forgotten a lot of stuff about this site, forgot about the Roleplayers Wanted forum lmao.

Dude it was very fun and honestly really easy to make! I could share some tips for it if you're wanting to do the DLC costume. Also, go looking on Aliexpress, it's an Asian based shopping site. They sell a lot of cosplay there that's good quality at a good price. I've seen the Burial at Sea outfit on there for like.. $20 or something. (not including the brooch though or the shoes but that can be easy to come by!)

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Oh! And I was thinking of adding a section to the character sheet for plasmids used and maybe OC relationship to NPCs and other OCs when they show up! xD I kind of forgot to add the powers and skills section which would be pretty important to know lol.

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belshazzar on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Oh that sounds great! I will have to look on that website. Is that where you got yours? It hasn't fallen apart or anything?

And that is a good idea, yes! A lot of roleplays do a "relations" section on a separate forum, would you do that on the CS or the forum?

Belshazzar
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 pm

I didn't get mine there, but that was because I didn't know they sold them on that site. I had looked on etsy originally and found the costumes out of my budget at the time. I ended up making everything myself. :') Cost me about $60 though, it wasn't that bad all things considered.

Hmmmm I think I'll make a forum post for it. I do need to make a code (or add to the existing code)
for the plasmids and such. I'll let you know when I get it together. I'm about to play around with it to see which I'd like to do.

You think for the character relationships post I ought to include NPCs relation to one another? I think most people joining will know the major characters and can look up stuff they don't know. (OR ask me about it since I'm such a detail-orientated NERD!) Definitely going to have how characters know NPCs and other characters for sure!

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belshazzar on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Ohhh, I see. I usually sew stuff on my own too, but it's nice to just have something quick every once in a while. I've got a Little Sister dress I've been working on lately, and a Merida cosplay I've almost finished (it's so fun to wear that wig, honestly, haha)

I don't think NPCs should have to be part of that. I mean, their opinion on eachother. Like you said, people who know the basics will know that Ryan hates Fontaine and vice versa...and even those who aren't so sure would be able to gather as much just from reading your character profiles on them.

OCs relations to NPCs would be good though, yeah. :)

Belshazzar
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm still fairly new to sewing though I'm wanting to practice more and get better!
But I understand. Sewing kind of costs a bit when it comes to buying all the fabric you need and whatever else (buttons, trims, etc etc). And it's so time consuming! I think it's worth it, though. It's pretty satisfying when it all comes together! That's pretty cool, though! I bet that Little Sis dress looks great! I love their little dresses, so cute and vintage. (Merida's hair honestly is goals)

True. I'm just wondering because I was thinking of deleting the current NPCs listed and just putting them all under one single character entry. I mean, I know there's not a whole lot of us right now, but I'd like to have space on the front page available for real players characters to be seen. I dunno! I'm playing it fast and loose right now with how things look. Like I said, it's been a while since I've been on here so I'm just messing around with things.

Yea, because holy shit there's so many canon characters so I think it'd make sense for some of the others to know at least SOMEONE. Barb is friends with Stanley Poole (would you believe I forgot his character even EXISTED before I started on Barbara?) and I was thinking of having her also be friends/romantically interested in Anna Culpepper. Also, I'd think James would know or WANT to know Sander Cohen because of his influence in the city and that would help James get some recognition. Of course that's up to you! Just a thought, to be honest!

And since I'll be starting the roleplay in the year 1945, right at the official opening of Rapture, I guess it isn't necessary to list plasmids YET. But I think there needs to be a place eventually where everyone can put what their characters' skill sets and what their main plasmids are.

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belshazzar on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Hmmmm, I see. You put so much into all the different avatars and stuff for each character though, I think it'd be a shame to leave them all, haha.

I totally forgot about Stanley honestly, you're not the only one, haha. James definitely wants to know Sander Cohen, he admires the weird shit that Cohen does and wants to meet him so badly, but he can never get into the right groups!

Yeah, plasmids are fun. That's gotta be a thing. :)

Belshazzar
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Well you know what, I think I've decided to get the biggest characters listed on their own profile, then cover the rest of them under a single entry. Like obviously Ryan, Fontaine, Tenenbaum, Lamb, Suchong, and Sinclair. Then literally any other character of any interest will be put under a general NPC profile so as to be able to be tagged (?) in the actual roleplay. I'm waiting with the protagonists, Jack and Delta, since they will literally appear so far into the roleplay ya know?

OMG you know what, I kind of feel like Barbara might help James out with that. I don't think Barb and Sander would be CLOSE or anything, but I feel like she'd know people who could get him in with the 'It' crowd. Maybe. Since she's also interested in Anna Culpepper, though, Cohen would certainly eventually not like Barb haha! Good old undersea drama. :')

Totally! I need to read a bit more about them though 'cause IDEK if I'm using the words right. Eve, ADAM, gene tonics, all that business is different from one another. I'm such a stickler for accuracy it's my one flaw!

OH! And I was going to let you know that I'm changing a few rules soon for the roleplay. I'm going to allow more players and a higher max of characters per person. Also, I had said that 'Times New Roman' had to be used only IC but honestly I don't really mind too much about that and was going to just nix that rule. :^) I think I've got some other people supposed to be joining that I've talked to off site,
so maybe this will help them too.

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belshazzar on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Oh that's fantastic! I might make another male character then, since roleplays always seem to be a bit short on them and that's mostly what I enjoy playing. :) Maybe a lower-class working guy that helped with a lot of the construction.

And Barbara's help would just be wonderful for him. I'm hoping that she will appreciate his own storytelling and look out for him a bit, and he would do the same for her.

Yeah, I mix stuff up a bit too. I know Eve is what you use to "power" your Plasmids (not exactly sure what it's made of though) and ADAM is like, the raw material you use to change your gene coding to allow you to use Plasmids. I think? It's been a while. I'm totally playing the game later tonight now though because I've got myself all excited about Bioshock again.

I haven't been this excited for a roleplay in a while honestly, haha. Do you have Discord? It's great for getting people together at the same time and talking about the roleplay and plot ideas, since the forums tend to move a bit slower.

Belshazzar
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lloyd999 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 am

Hello Miss Hollywood. I see you finally went ahead with making this role play, and it looks quite lovely, but also ambitious. Like Ryan, I can admire ambition.

I've been really out of shape when it comes to writing and the kind of roleplaying that I truly enjoy, so, it would be nice to get back into it. I only have inkling's of ideas for characters, so, it might take me a while. I'd love to assist in any way I can. When it comes to games I enjoy, I like to think of myself as a sort of dramaturge, or canon consultant.

And indeed, I highly encourage using Discord so we may maintain better contact. I've mostly migrated there from Skype now.

Lloyd999
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Lloyd, hey! Glad to see you're still active! I was actually going to message you privately about the roleplay, but I wasn't sure if you were still around. Of course, take your time with characters. I've changed a few of my rules, allowing players three characters if they feel up to it, and opening up the roleplay to 15 characters instead of just 10. (Need to update the rules section though!)

Of course, yeah, feel free to throw your Bioshock knowledge into the ring! I honestly need to replay the second game or watch a play-through or something because I can hardly remember details from it. :')

Belshazzar, I didn't know there was a shortage of guys generally on here! Yeah, as it stands right now by OCs the ladies are out-weighing the gents so it would probs be good to have a few more. The two people I was talking to about joining are both bringing in female characters too (I think one might also bring a male). It isn't per say a necessity to have it balanced, but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. Feels better to have the ratio even. Love the lower-class idea though, 'cause again most of our OCs (James, Barb, and Cordelia) live in the nicer parts of Rapture. I'm a sucker for a diverse cast of characters, what can I say?

Also, I totally am seeing Barb and James being friends already. She'd probs be motherly in a way towards him, she'd appreciate his world view and recognize herself in him in how he's starting to get his writing out into the public eye.

I was already debating making a group Discord for this, actually! Let me set that up and I'll link it here!
(Probs gonna link it on the roleplay page too!)

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hollywood on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:48 pm

https://discord.gg/GWMRHXB
Voila! The group Discord is now available to join! Let me know who you are please! :)

hollywood
Member for 8 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!