Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Assassin's Pledge: Ragnarok

Realism in the RP! (MUST READ THIS THREAD!!)

a part of “Assassin's Pledge: Ragnarok”, a fictional universe by KumoriRyuu.

The secret is out, and a nation-wide war has begun between forces in the shadows. Now without a creed, Te'i Sai's wrath and cruelty know no bounds. Now caught between two nightmares brought to life, how will you survive?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Assassin's Pledge: Ragnarok”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Realism in the RP! (MUST READ THIS THREAD!!)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:07 pm

Okay, so this is the big thing about the RP which I will be paying the most attention to as the GM.

This RP is set in a fantasy setting, but real-world physics and the laws of nature apply. This means the following for those who like to stretch the boundaries:

* No wall-jumping - Real human bodies aren't strong enough or fast enough to actually wall jump between surfaces like you see in anime, video games, etc. So this is a no-no.

* No double flips from a standstill - Human muscles aren't capable of generating the kind of energy needed to propel the body with enough force to perform a double flip from a standstill. One flip? Yes. I've seen and performed single forward and back flips myself before. But two or more from a standstill before your feet hit the ground again? Not unless you're on a trampoline or a diving board at a pool.

* No magic or sci-fi spiritualism - Telepathy, telekinesis, preternatural perception, etc, etc are all off-limits, as they stretch the boundaries of realism just a liiiiiiiiiitle too far for my liking.

* No pseudo-science - This one's here because I'm guilty of having done so in the past. Not only did it ruin my character, but it threw the lore of the RP into turmoil and caused numerous other issues as well. And this one's here to prevent things like a Captain America super soldier serum-type deal, miracle poisons that work the instant the distributor reaches the target, etc.

* "Masters" and Child Prodigies - I hate child prodigies, so I'm disallowing them. Period. And if your character is going to be a "master" of something, there needs to be a realistic explanation in their backstory as to how and why they're acknowledged as a "master." As well, they need the age and experience to back it up. "Master" martial artists in their early-mid twenties are bullshit. I'm 30, and have been a martial artist for 21 years now, and despite my experience, repertoire of techniques, and my having studied the principles of 13 different styles over those 21 years, I don't consider myself a master. So don't anyone try to tell me that there's a reasonable excuse for a twenty-something year old master of jack shit.

Thanks! (^v^)

* Be Reasonable/Realistic with Mental/Emotional Trauma - For the love of god, don't kill your character's entire family for the purpose of making them an introvert who hates the world. I consider such "tragic" backgrounds to be the penultimate form of a contrived, lackluster, and poorly-thought out history for a character. If you want to traumatize your character, that's fine. Traumatize the poor thing as much as you want. All that I ask is that you try something more original than "their entire family was killed by rogues/assassins" or something lazy like that. If you need help putting something together, ask me. I love traumatizing characters in new and inventive ways!

I swear I'm not a sadist.

Thank you!
Kumori Ryuu

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Beta Tester World Builder Lifegiver Arc Warden Person of Interest Visual Appeal

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!