Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Burning Land

The Burning Land: Archive

a part of “The Burning Land”, a fictional universe by XavierDantius32.

A Nation Roleplay where empires can rise and fall as they walk glory road.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Burning Land”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] The Burning Land: Archive

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:14 am

Information moved to correct forum
Last edited by XavierDantius32 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] The Burning Land

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:20 pm

I claim Takama, editing with the profile shall be up sometime within this week. <3
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blazin Beard on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:11 pm

I submitted a profile, it is not done, and I will be working on it throughout the day. I only submitted, so as to claim the spot so to speak.
Nail: "guru sir, we have another traveler from earth!"
Super Kami Guru: "oh tell me you didn't let him inside..."
Gohan:"Hello mr. guru"
Super Kami Guru: "Oh god damnit!!!"
Gohan: "Mr. Guru, sir, my friend Krillin told me that you could help us by touching me."
Super Kami Guru: "Do I look Catholic to you?"

Blazin Beard
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Check your PM inbox. Until I confirm, the Marskimaa slot is still available

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:17 pm

I claim Joutomaa :D

Egh. Not off to a good start. I misspelt the region name. Fail.

Nevan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ezarael on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Looks like I came a little to late to try for my first thought so I'll attempt Riekasm. I should have a skeleton in a few hours, but the finished product won't be ready until tomorrow.
Isn't it strange how Decidedly we
will chasE such an iNdefinable concept
That cannot truly descrIbe us no
maTter how hard we trY?
-Insert Credit Here

Ezarael
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Region List

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:27 pm

In summary, the regions taken are:

Vuori: XavierDantius32: The Vuori People
Takamaa: Saken
Joutomaa: Nevan
Reikasmaa: Ezrael
Ostermaa:Empty
Marskimaa:Blazin Beard: Marskimaa Republic

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

[OOC] The Burning Land: Archive 3

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:46 am

After being asked to post for this RP, Blazin Beard quit.
Land grab anyone?
Last edited by XavierDantius32 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Therunner on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 am

If possible can I take Ostermaa I'll have a profile done within the week.

Therunner
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Alright, we have our six people.
The RP is currently closed to new players until I decide we need a second continent.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:11 pm

People, if I could have your factions by monday at the latest, we can kick off posting with a news-post about the current situations in your factions.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

[OOC] The Burning Land: The Sacred Ghani Empire

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:09 am

The Sacred Ghani Empire

History
Riekasmaa resides as the most middle-eastern country of Maastopalojen, encompassing an area that begins with a densely wooded forest lying at its northernmost border of the Jiahj-tabor, and encompassed by a protective ring of lush grasslands from the unforgiveable desert. The composition of the region has had a dramatic influence upon the cultural makeup of the area’s populace, forming a hierarchical system that mirrors the contour of the land. The term Riekasmaa is a term that embodies dual definitions, the beginning and the end, and is named after its spiritual implications.

The legends of the Ghani tell that when the spirits of the world came down from the sacred mountain Nuhl’jarra that they descended upon the Farh’tabor, or Land of Judgement, and that when they first landed upon the soil a great forest sprang up to mark the beginning of Man. The spirits march to all corners of the world after their fate had been decided so that they may begin their journey back to the heavens. However not all the souls were destined to journey beyond the encircling Uhr’tabor, one tribe was entrusted with the task of protecting the Jiahj’tabor by settling the bountiful grasslands surrounding the Farh’tabor, the Fehl’ruhj or Sea of Life.

The Ghani people began as a partially nomadic tribe that wandered the vast grasslands bordering the Uhr’tabor, but with a growing population and the original appearance of the nobleman-class centralization was rapidly progressing as the domestication of small animals and the digging of abundant underground wells led to larger populations with increased nourishment. Unlike other grassland oriented cultures the Ghani focused upon breeding camels much like the desert peoples of Joutomaa, a much more intelligent and durable creature than even the most well-bred of horses.

The new nobility quickly began to extend their control over the Ghani tribe by institutionalizing the education of the young. It was decided that each person was born into a niche of society, and that they would be trained to perform certain tasks, such as labourer, farmer, or herdsman. Despite the emergence of a structured hierarchical society the lower classes did not grumble in protest. With the emergence of a trade-specialized labour force the nobility was able to devote more time to sophisticating their lifestyle through the fine arts, develop a system of infrastructure, and practising the martial arts.

As new methods of architecture were created the arch became widely used throughout the sprawling cities of the Ghani, and the beginnings of the aqueduct emerged, allowing a limitless water supply to reach deep into the desert through these covered water channels. The first aqueduct was finished under the rule of the first Emperor of The Sacred Ghani Empire, Harrak I that emptied into a man-made well near the quarry with which the stone was extracted. Before the aqueduct was started it had been very difficult in extracting and transporting the building blocks, requiring a rather large and well-organized supply chain to keep the workers from dying due to exposure.

This achievement unlocked the ability to settle the desert region in strategically and economically important areas, heightening the new Emperor’s fame and establishing the power of the ruling class. Soon the royal city of Kehr’dun was established, allowing a foothold from which to rule to young empire, but another benefit was discovered by farmers watching a worm that produced a soft and beautiful cloth, silk. Several hundred years later this once open country now houses a sprawling empire with well-maintained brick roads interconnecting every fortress, merchant town, and small community.

Regions/Significant Places:

Jiahj’tabor¬¬-The Land of Ascension
This mountain range stands as the northern border of Riekasmaa, bursting forth from the earth to spiral upwards into the clouds. The legends of the Ghani tell that the labyrinthine passes entwining Nuhl’jarra, the sacred mountain of the Ghani people, are used by the spirits to travel upwards to the afterlife, and as such the holy mountain of Nuhl’jarra is forbidden to be touched by the hands of men. This forced the Ghani to purchase all of their metals from others tribes and nations until they could develop a roadway to the mountains on the southern border of Riekasmaa, allowing them to mine for valuable ores.

Farh’tabor- The Land of Judgement

Much thought has been put into the preservation of this forest with the utmost care incorporated with their farming techniques, but this land also serves as the home to the noble families, with the royal palace situated in the forest’s epicentre. The royal city of Kehr’dun houses the upper echelons of the government, and as such has been carved into a marvellous marble city, mirroring the prestige and nobility of its inhabitants, but outside its walls lies an ever-growing ring of buildings constructed of adobe for the servants, yet despite this extreme care is taken to keep the “ghetto” from falling into ruin as an excellent infrastructure that serves as the model for the entire country. This area has also proven beneficial economically as it is the only region where white mulberry trees will grow, and from this oddity silkworms are bred and farmed for valuable silk of the highest quality.

Fehl’ruhj- The Sea of Life
The grasslands of Riekasmaa serve as the vital agricultural basin to the Ghani Empire where all the farming and grazing is accomplished by communes of farmers and herdsman scattered throughout the vast area. The land has actually divided itself with the western hills proving much simpler to herd than attempt farming upon, and this also has proven useful in separating the labour force and allowing easier specialization.

Uhr’tabor-The Land of Birth
This area is the massive desert that forms a natural buffer from invading armies, and has since then had several large fortresses built to act as a funnel for travellers and invading armies. Without proper knowledge of desert life this region is impassable to sizable foreign armies unfamiliar with the effects of the elements on a soldier’s body and mind unless they choose to besiege the fortresses, leaving them exposed to frequent sandstorms that devour the land for as far as the eye can see. Several cities were also formed to house quarry workers, often developing into merchant towns due to their direct route from outlying fortresses to urban and rural centres.

Significant People:
The Royal Family
Emperor Jhardan III
Emperor Jhardan III is the seventh Emperor of The Sacred Ghani Empire, and being born to the royal family he has been educated in every aspect of ruling the vast empire. Known to be a calm and patient man Jhardan should never be underestimated by other rulers as his intuitive nature coupled with charisma and wisdom has inspired death-defying loyalty from the Ghani people. As a lean, hawk-featured man the Emperor appears more bureaucratic than war-like by appearance, but much of his time throughout the day is spent practising archery, camel-riding, and fighting with various weapons.

Empress Qhitara
Qhitara Yerish was the eldest daughter to the noble Yerish family, the family with the noblest of blood beneath the Royal Family, and whose natural instinct for diplomacy led to the Emperor’s decision to take her as a wife. She takes a much more subtle role in expanding the Emperor’s reach with her capability to charm the nobles.
Nobles.

Arch-Minister Darfuhl Yerish
Darfuhl Yerish is a short-statured, plump man of the noblest lineage who serves as the Emperor’s top advisor and is a cold, calculating, detached man that desires to consolidate the position of the Empire no matter the cost. Much of his time is spent focusing on coordinating the Empire’s construction of infrastructure.

Commander Huhrrik Yantil

Huhrrik is a man of a towering 6’4 height and lean as a whip from years of harsh desert campaigning. As an Ahntil he roamed the desert with other warriors scouting the vast desert, living off only the land for months at a time. His prowess with guerrilla strategies and desert warfare has claimed him the third most powerful position in the Empire’s military, Commander, but despite the enormous power that lay in his hands the man has proven staunch in his loyalty to the Emperor.

Minister of Agriculture Ferhdahn Tohkar

Minister of Trade Keshtil Lurhijn

Minister of Education Qhartan Ishdahn

Minister of Industry Ghevhil Durshan

Religion/Philosophy:

Reincarnation is the major focus of Ghani religion, and it is believed that when you die and pass through Farh’tabor that your life will be judged by the spirits who have achieved nirvana, if your soul is judged as enlightened then you shall climb the Nuhl’jarra and rejoice in the delights of heaven, but if not you shall be cast back into the Uhr’tabor until your reincarnation. This belief allowed the caste system to emerge in the Ghani society as the people believe that to fulfil their task well and obey the nobles will lead to a higher birth in the next life. There is no omnipotent deity apparent who casts judgement or controls everything, but worship centres on the human spirit, allowing for philosophical and cultural development unhindered by an arbitrary code of ethics. Hygiene is also emphasized in the Ghani culture, as it is a prerequisite for religious observance, also lessening the spread of disease and encouraging studies in medicine.

Military:
The Ghani have one of the smallest armies, albeit expertly trained, of Maastopalojen as military service is restricted to the nobility. Despite first impressions the nobility of the Ghani revere the martial arts, and much time is devoted by the men to master the arts of war, but the idea of using peasants to wage battles is almost barbaric to the Ghani that goes against the hierarchy of their society, let each man perform their specific task. This emphasis on the military also loosens pressure from the nobility with land inheritance as families grow larger; the brothers of dying noblemen no longer have to war over familial plots with the honour of military service and possibility for glory all too available for them. This rigid and selective organization could almost create a new caste within the nobility were it not for most of the warriors being responsible for some form of bureaucratic position.

Troop Archetypes:
Ahntil
The Ahntil are the desert warriors of the Ghani Empire who travel in small parties and roam the deserts for undetermined periods of time that have been known years during times of war. Due to the extreme danger of exposure and overheating from armour the Ahntil never wear armour, neither do their camels, but they do wear sand-coloured robes and turbans to camouflage their selves with the environment, these methods eventually earned the Ahntil a reputation of bringing the two most dangerous elements of war into play, fear and confusion throughout the ranks of even the most stalwart phalanx. Their armaments are light as well with only two provided; each man carries a daikyū with a full quiver of arrows and a hyeopdo, a pole arm with a five-foot shaft and a two-foot blade.

Tohndar
The Tohndar are the common foot soldiers of the Empire who are usually found manning the fortresses and are used to police the Fehl’ruhj when not in times of war. Their armour and weaponry can always be used to denote their station in the nobility; the lower echelons can always afford scale mail, but it would be very plain, unpolished armour that would often be dented and punctured from numerous battles with only minimal repairs, yet the higher stationed nobles could afford sets of magnificent armour with helmets crafted to special designs, however when they march to the desert they shed their steel for boiled leather and clothe so as not to fry like eggs. These men have mastered several weapons, but when they fight the standard weapons seen are naginata, katana, and daikyū, unless they are a high-ranking noble or assigned to special units. Due to the unique fighting style of the Ghani, who teach two-handed sword techniques, no shields are used by the Imperial Army.

Qhuutir
The Qhuutir are the cavalry of the Imperial Army who either use camels or horses depending on where they patrol, and no horses are even used until deeper into the grasslands where they risk less chance of needing to fight in the desert. The daikyū is a preferred weapon so that they may quickly strike and withdraw but when they need to mount a charge the yari is preferred over the hyeopdo for its piercing ability. The camels are much more capable of handling armor in the desert than any horses, but only half of the Qhuutir even don the armor on their mounts.

Fyrhna
The Fyrhna are the elite warriors of the Ghani people, with sub factions of footmen and cavalry, who serve in the royal city of Kehr’dun as bodyguards, yet when war comes they march in the front lines with the Tohndar and ride with the Qhuutir to prove their courage. The preferred weapons of these warriors are the naginata and katana, with their scale mail armor painted with the symbol of the Imperial family, again desert fighting, when it seldom does happen, leads to exchanging for the hot temperature. This corps is the pride of the Ghani Empire with only the most skillful warriors allowed to enter their ranks; contests between these men is often done for sport, practice, or even settle grudges.

Siege Engines:

Fortifications:

Myrha Tonqhar

Uulshir Pyrnah

Hyrh Nirsha

Kiituhl Jhanda

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:55 pm

I will try, pinky promiseee.~ Tuesday at the latests.

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Re: [OOC] The Burning Land: Confederacy of Ostermaa

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Therunner on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:12 pm

History:
Before forming the Confederacy the people in Ostermaa started out as hunter gathers moving here and there. Then once they found fertile land and began settling down others within the region began doing the same. Soon there came small villages and towns that begin forming. These people founded 9 communities and lived in relative harmony and peace. Unfortunately for them this peace was soon broken.

After disputes between 2 of the towns the communities waged war against each other and most other thriving towns also picked there side all except one. After ferocious fighting one side soon prevailed. However after the fighting they were severely weakened. The town that remained neutral saw it's chance to attack. After taking numerous towns only one town remained out for there control. That town gathered whatever was left and prepared a last stand. After months of fighting there came a stalemate with both sides at an equal playing field. Finally a general from Ostankino (Former Neutral town) led his men through a forest behind the defenders of Osterthol (Last remaining free town) and attempted a sneak attack from there. The defenders fought valiantly but were defeated and the town captured. The people of Ostankino finally untied the lands of Ostermaa and formed the Confederacy of Ostermaa.

After the forming of the Confederacy the people started expanding and within 27 years they have gotten the lands belonging to the * Current * Ostermaa. After these lands were secured the peasants and farmers alike all had at least some combat training. Soon they demanded that they were given more voice during decisions made by the Confederacy and soon they had a council of 150 members.

From then the Confederacy focused on it's economy and research over war efforts. However sensing mobilizations of other armies they are starting to look at maintaining a larger army.

Council: The Confederacy's council is used to decide specific matters and also directing what field should people be focusing on like war. economy and research alike. They are comprised of 50 members who are Nobles. They control most of the laws that are passed and the organization of the Confederacy's Military branch. Members can only be from a Noble heritage and are allowed to serve for life. However looking back at the dispute that caused it's first war the council also added that whatever member who is too focused on personal gain can be kicked out.

40 Members of the council are peasants and farmers. They are allowed to decide minor laws like how much enforcement should a certain area have, or what goods should be more produced.

10 members form a research perceptive of the council and can decide what to research (Better farming tools, More effective methods to processes crops and weapons development.

40 members are from a marketing background and they create trade routes, markets, and control shipments

The last 10 members are the moderators of the council and ensure that meetings are carried out in an orderly manner.

Important People:
Councillor Gabriel Laurent
He is an ambitious man who will see that the confederacy rise to power. He is also a respected member of the council and many members seek him to decide stalemates within the council. He is known to take a very dim view of people who want to benefit themselves over the Confederacy. However most of the time Gabriel Laurent takes a more neutral standpoint which is what made him so respected. He also specializes in sweet talking would be allies and is also a very good economist.

Councillor Maximilian Bourbon
A young council member who is very eager to support almost everything that helps Ostermaa however that does not mean he is reckless or rash. In fact he is very cautious and thinks of multiple results that could happen before endorsing or denouncing a motion made by the council. He cares about his people and also considers the finer points of technological expansions, General Knowledge, and surprisingly the fine arts.

High General Ronald Keller
A veteran of the wars after the confederacy was formed. His ability as a skilled tactician has not gone unnoticed and this is why he is the current Confederate high general . He is currently 58 years old and yet somehow still very strong and healthy. He is best known for being a good commander and bringing every possible soldier back alive.

Commander Albert Kochler
He is part of a newer group of Confederate officers who are more reliant on strategy and technology over masses of ill equipped soldiers. He prefers to conserve as much men as possible and use them as reserves however he will not hesitate to use them if they are needed. He is mostly known by his men to enter quite close the the battle zone.However he might sometimes be reckless and over zealous resulting in an unnecessary loss of life.

Councillor Anthony Locke
A less listened to voice in the council he represents the military branch of the council and knows quite a few things about wars and creating alliances. However he still tries to look for peace in the unlikeliest places and only advises for war when necessary.
Osterthol:
One of the original nine towns of the Confederacy it's near the northern border of Ostermaa. This city produces some of the confederacies toughest soldiers being located in a desert.

Ostanfossati
This is mostly just a city that turned it's focus more on fine arts, science, meth, and other studies. However this city also contains a military academy that produces the most promising officers who serve the Confederacy. This city is located near the southern forests of Ostermaa.

Ostankino: - Capital
The capital of Ostermaa located near the more fertile areas in Ostermaa. This city is made in the shape of a circle like shape. It has and outer wall to keep out invaders and within that live the poorer citizens. Then comes the inner walls and the Market District where merchants and Inns are located as well as where most of the nobles live. Then there is the Sanctum Walls that protect the Tower of the Ethereal where the council meets to discuss issues. Also within the Sanctum Walls lies the Institute of Advancement where they educate people who wish to join. They teach people science, mathematics as well as the fine arts. This Institute is also were major developments happen for the Confederacy.

Brynn Schyder
In a sense this is a farming/ pasture town formed after the confederacy was formed. This town raises cattle, horses, and sheep that are used for multiple purposes. They also grow a lot of crops that could on it's own supply the entire confederacy assume everything gets rationed. Located near Central Ostermaa

Philosophy:
The Confederacies philosophy is that no matter how large an army is the better equipped one's army is the more chance they have. That's why the confederacy focus more on providing sturdy and reliant equipment for their troops.

Religion
They have 2 main gods.
The First is Välstånd God of prosperity that cares for the people and also the benefit of the nation.
The Second is Färdigheter The God of skills that can help soldiers be proficient at combat. But this god has a dual purpose because they say he also helps people learn about technology and the creation of fine arts and other skills.

Military:
The Confederate military is not as large as almost all the nations but just as deadly. Due to the fact that the soldiers are highly trained and even the lowest troop type are equipped with light armor at the bare minimum.
Troop Archetypes:
Lautens: While not the most appealing name these soldiers are deadly never less. There standard armor is Chainamail armor alongside plated leggings as well as a large tower shield. They also have a helmet and just one javelin to throw as a distraction. Also they carry light weight steel pikes and a short sword.They usually fight in a shield wall formation capable of tearing down Calvary and infantry alike. These men are trained to work together since their lives will depend on it.
Herzog: One of the groups of archers for the Confederate is the Herzog. They carry light leather armor, a longbow, and a short sword to rain death on the enemy with their bows and to fight off anyone who gets too close. These men are trained to a certain degree with the bow and the sword making them proficient with both.
Grey Wolves: Men wearing cowls that can be dyed to suit the environment. They travel in groups of 5 and act as the scouts of the Confederates. They do not wear heavy armor but instead just leather armor. They also carry bows and short swords. They prefer fighting from covered positions that preferably is a certain distance away from the enemy.
Rioseers: Never liking to get in close combat these men serve as horse archers of the Confederacy. They have standard long-bowman equipment. They attempt to encircle the enemy force, after encircling them they fire arrows until the enemy force breaks out.
Golgata: They serve as the Calvary of the Confederacy. They have chain mail armor. Also in addition the horse also has light armor to protect it a bit better. These men carry either a spear, lance, or a sword and shield. They are trained to charge and ride down enemy lines but when the enemy are in a walled formation they will attempt to flank the wall.
Donner Guard: Royal Guards equipped with the best armor and halberds. They act as city guards but also fight as reservists during battles. During battles they stay behind the infantry encouraging the men to stand their ground but when the they are needed they will not hesitate to enter the fray.

Siege Engines:
Trebuchet: A standard siege weapon for the confederacy
Turtle Ram: A battering ram covered by heavy shield
Catapult, Siege towers, Ladders

Fortifications:
Fort Armsdale: A desert fort located near the northern border of Ostamaa. It is made of stone and watches over the strip of desert.
Fort Aspelt: A stone fort located on the northwestern border of Ostamaa and is used to watch activities further north as well as managing traders that come through this area.
Fort Lauresdale: Located on the western border of Ostamaa it monitors border activities that happen in Marsikmma and the first stone fort of the Confederacy and also one of it's largest forts
Fort Canton: Also located along the western border is is a support fort in case Lauresdale is out of action.
Fort Kaelin: The fort located near the capital of Ostamaa and is used only in times of need to defend the capital for now it acts as a prison for criminals.

Therunner
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:33 am

Alesund De Satio and Ironman11 have the two new spaces

Ironma11: Valtava
Alesund: Pieni

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:06 am

A note on faction relations when posting begins.
You will be aware of the fact that there are nations on your borders, but you will have little idea of what they are.
All information present in the faction information forum remains out of character unless discovered in character.

For the first post, I'd like a general update on the state of affairs present in each faction. The first of your weekly information posts.
The style of how you represent this is up to you, but if you are stuck, look to the other players for inspiration.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Re: [OOC] The Burning Land: Faction Information

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:05 am

The Joutomaa'n Dynasty

History: Before civilization, when all people of the world were Hunter-Gatherers, the people of Joutomaa were no different. The area now known as The Great Desert was once a lushious land filled with vegetation and beast, but slowly, this changed. The seasons became hotter, the trees stopped bearing fruits, the grass died and the animals starved. This led to the event known as The Great Migration, in which many of the tribes of early Joutomaa followed the animals to the west, until they eventually settled at a large, endless source of water.

And so, trapped and isolated from the rest of the world, the Settlers began to develop civilization. Within 200 years of the birth of The Great Desert, the Dynasty had created a ring of settlements around what is now Erakit Salamun, "The Life Giving Lake". In the 209th Summer since the creation of the desert, during a heatwave that left a mile of bank muddy and wet, did the Settlers notice that the fertile ground gave birth to plants, some recognized as edible. And so through a subsequent several years of trial and error, Agriculture was born.

With a steady and reliable source of food to keep them going, they began to grow pastures for herds to graze upon and early "Sheperds" to watch over them. With beasts of the desert tamed, The Joutomaa's found themselves able to travel further into the heart of the sandy-ocean of dunes and harsh creatures. Here they made contact with Desert Tribes, and here they first experienced warfare. The Desert Tribes had long fought amongst themselves, but with the discovery of the outsiders, they soon turned their attention to a single enemy - a people grazing upon a land of unimaginable value.

Until then, no-one had led the people of Erakit Salamun. They hadn't needed a leader - there was plenty of everything they needed and enough for everyone. There was no need for warfare, or separate fighting factions. The closest thing to "leaders" such a people had were the oldest, wisest, most loved and most respected of the society; those with many children, who in turn had children of their own. But then news of invasion spread throughout the area, news of a savage horde come to steal the land they worked on. It was decided among the Elders that a Militia needed to be formed, so every settlement came to an agreemant. A hundred strong men from each; able to supply his own bow, arrows and spear. People looked on in amazement, and held their Children in fear as the desert ground shaked under the marching feet of the first army they had ever known- almost 3000 loved ones swarming around a giver of life towards a single meeting point on the most eastern side of the Erakit Salamun, where many of them would experience death; the village of Joutomaa.

Armed with nothing more than large fishing spears and bows, the army began basic training procedures and fortifications - under the command of a middle-aged man known as Aban Zontumisral. Using stones from the desert, the army built a wall facing the east, while in the north and south a total of 500 men dug pits in the dunes and lay preparations for ambushes. Mere days later, at The Battle of Aban's Wall, the Joutomaa'n forces defeated the tribes by taking advantage of their lack of organization.

Desert Hunters then led Aban's forces to the east, where they split six groups and conquered the tribes individually. Within the next year, the people of the Erakit Salamun came to love Aban so greatly he became what now translates as a King, the birth of the Joutomaa'n Dynasty in its modern form.

And so centuries passed and civilization grew. Aquaducts, having been used since the ancient times around the Erakit Salamun, were built near water sources and towns to ensure that the majority of the population had water. However, these aquaducts were never expanded into the deep reaches of the Desert Sea, leaving large areas of untamed wild where many a brave traveller succumb to thirst or beast. Using sand and desert stone, villages turned into towns, towns turned into cities, and forts were built to protect and strictly control the supply of water - which not only ensured their absolute authority over the people of Joutomaa (who, however, were never mistreated), but also left any invading armies to brave the desert heat, where even a child of Joutomaa holds knowledge, experience and therefor, the advantage.

After invading the fertile lands at the borders to the south and east, and the discovery of iron - and soon after, steel, the bronze weapons of the Joutomaa'n military were discarded, soon to be replaced with much stronger and more reliable weapons. In the past several hundred years before the modern day, much of their focus has been on cultivating and fortifying the lands to the south and east, leaving the west and north mostly unguarded due to the already natural protection.

Regions/Significant Places: Joutomaa is split into three separate regions: Erakit Salamun encompasses the lake and the capital city of Joutomaa and stretches north to the border, west to the mountain border and south to The Elipsiss Mountain Range. Elipsiss covers the more fertile lands south of Erakit Salamun and along the border of Marskimaa, while Avuvsel, "The Great Desert", covers the remaining land north and east of the other two regions, occupying the border between Joutomaa and Riekasmaa.

In Erakit Salamun:
- The Capital City of Joutomaa; a large, walled city that stretches around the eastern shore of the lake and has its foundations in roughly half of the villages that originally settled there, before eventually expanding north and further east. Within Joutomaa is Ecleshaan Palace, the home of the royal family for roughly a thousand years, which forms a second, inner wall of the city and a "last defense" against invasion, should the outer walls fail. Joutomaa is mostly reliant upon the large fish populace of the Erakit lake, which, having become an almost "holy" site of the Joutomaa'n Dynasty, has become strictly regulated and cared for.

In Elipsiss:
- The region capital, Estana: Estana is a Citadel, of sorts. A large, walled fortress nested into the side of the mountain range and facing south over a sea of farmed land towards the horizon, which homes most of the citizens of Ellipsiss and is itself unwalled. A single road leads up to Estana, one that was paved into the mountains and provides a large, flat, safe platform designed for areas of traffic. It is, as discovered, the main and only entrance to the Citadel. Around the border of the farm land lay a series of wooden outposts housing soldiers and police officers.

In Avuvsel:

- The region capital, Sakzul: Sakzul is an area in the east of The Great Desert that is made up of hundreds of villages and hunting camps closely entwined with a web of Aqueducts and roads of merchant tracks. It has no wall, for a hot, unwatered desert stretches all around as far as the eye can see, providing a useful and natural defense. A garrison of sand stone sits in the centre, where soldiers train, rest and patrol the outlying areas. It is hotspot for hunters and thrill seekers due to the cliffs not a days travel to the north, which provide many fascinating animals, tasty hunting and hundreds of caves, some garrisoned, others unexplored. They are fed mostly by trade with the villages near the eastern border, but also by hunting in the dunes.

Aside from the region capitals, many towns and garrisoned forts dot the desert, with forts being mostly located at the southern and eastern borders. Elipsiss seems to be the most greatly defended of the three regions, containing around 40% of the military.

Significant People:

- King Aban Zontumisral IV: The Joutomaa'n Dynasty is an absolute monarchy, which means Aban's word is law. Well respected due to his fair and stretegic usage of his lands and people, he has increased the value of Joutomaa by almost 7% since he became King at the age of 24. He is now 33 and rules with a council of trusted advisers and generals, numbering around fifteen in total.

- Comissioner of Warfare, Field Marshal Shariq of the Sand: Taken into the military from the streets, and with no known last name to speak of, Shariq took upon himself the title "of the sand" due to his home far away from the bustling and relatively safe region capitals. Charged with the defense of all civilians within the boundaries of Joutomaa and sent to do the will of his King, hearing Shariq of the Sand is on the field is enough to strike fear into any heart, for truly no man in the world can claim to be greater than Shariq at desert warfare.

- Comissioner of Supply, General Ranatas Unahel: Ranatas was born to nobility in the far east of Joutomaa, where the harsh desert life joined thin grass lands to create a steppe almost as unforgiving as the lands further west. Here, horse and camel reigned supreme, making Ranatas an experienced and unforgiving cavalry Commander who excels at driving off the enemy; attacking like a flash of lightning, then disappearing into the storm. Suited most to offensive formations, Ranatas felt somewhat dishonoured after being pulled away from going on the attack in order to ensure his fellow Joutomen were fed and watered...

- Comissioner of Finance, General Xoep Azun: Descendant of the Elipsiss kings of old. After they were conquered by the Joutomen, his royal line were allowed to maintain rule of the southern lands in exchange for vassalage, military access and trade routes. As the years went by, this Vassalage dwindled and eventually, a mutual agreemant led to Ellipsiss becoming an official region of Joutomaa. The rich nature of Ellipsiss, the amount of metal and forges, and the high, easily defendable mountain passes, make Xoep useful in more way than one. He is a master of sieges; excelling in defending walls, but knowing a great deal on how to break them - he was credited with designing several upgrades to species of Trebuchet, metals and castle defenses, and this impressive knowledge does not just cover stone - it covers metal, too. When Aban and Xoep were in their teens, Xoep's father died and the previous king was quick to adopt him. The half-brother relationship between Xoep and Aban strenghtened and after Aban's own father died, they became Brothers by Oath.

Religion/Philosophy: The Joutomen believe in three Gods and the basis of their religion forms around Sun worship and the effects it has on the world. An interesting thing to note is that the creator, or the Sun, is not seen as a being of philosophical light in their worship - instead they see him as a tyrant that they can never be rid of. For while the sun creates death in the desert, he is needed for them to survive. His son is the Sand, the desert itself, the enforcer of his tyrannical will. Most of the Joutomen support Erakit; "The Life Giver", the Goddess who provided water and life for them to settle in the ancient times. The men of Joutomaa are brought up to not only worship her, but to love her in a motherly, or even romantic sense.

Military:
Troop Archetypes:

Desert Footmen - The mainstray of the entire military. These are desert peasants and warriors banded together to form battalions of well versed soldiers capable of both ranged and melee fighting. Each treads lightly - wearing little to no armour (if they do wear armour, it is usually made of wood), desert robes and uniforms in a light colour to reflect heat, a face veil, a medium-ranged spear, a quiver of arrows and a bow. Each "company" is generally accompanied by a portable "forward base", or a wagon with enough food and water. They are trained in a variety of defense tactics and are used to defend their Desert home, but if absolutely necessary, they can go on the offensive.

Desert Hunters - Covert units usually sent on sabotage and assassination missions. They are equipped with a bow and quiver of arrows, a short, curved sword made of steel and a pack of supplies to feed them. Several of them may also carry equipment such as ropes, axes and other unusual items designed to infiltrate or destroy. They generally operate in small units of 20, often sent to scout an enemy position.

Cavalry - Generally on camel-back, these soldiers are equipped with bow, spear and shield. They are used to run down fleeing enemies rather than stay in a close combat situation, but they have been known to be effecive against cavalry and sometimes are deployed as such. In the eastern areas of Joutomaa, cavalry are generally on Horse back.

Desert Guardians - These melee units are considerably more effective in Melee compared to Desert Footmen. These soldiers are armed with a circular shield and curved longsword, and often wear chainmail armour. The most elite of the Guardians make up King Aban's personal guard. Like Desert Footmen, Guardians travel light and are taught fighting techniques, to rely on ones sword and ability to evade rather than to charge in like a tank; relying solely on armour for survival.

Ellipsiss Swordsmen - In the cooler and more mild lands of Ellipsiss, these soldiers wear chainmail armour, metal half-helms, carry shields and choose a melee weapon of either mace, sword or axe. They are heavier than Guardians and Footmen, but are suited to fighting in vegetated and forested areas, where there is plenty of water.

Ellipsiss Spearmen - Similar to Swordsmen, but they wield only spears and are taught to fight defencively against cavalry and infantry in tight formations.

Ellipsiss Archers - These soldiers wield longbows, arrows and a short sword. They are trained in long range combat and have some knowledge of sword combat, but otherwise are poor when defending themselves.

Ellipsiss Horsemen - Heavy cavalry in chainmail, wielding swords, lances and shields. Their horses are generally also armoured.

Siege Engines:

On the offensive, large quantities of wooden parts are generally constructed and carried by wagons. Siege weapons are built on location; stranded there until they are disassembled and moved.

Trebuchet; capable of longer range than spoon-based catapults, these tall weapons sling large rocks and sometimes diseased animals at and over walls.

Towers; these wooden towers are fixed with metal sheets with spikes at the front to help deflect arrowfire. Rather than get into range and then drop a bridge, these towers crash into the wall, the metal sheet then pushed forth to stab and crush soldiers under it by Joutomen hiding behind. With an entrance now open, soldiers inside will then pour onto the defenses. They also offer wooden cover in the form of large wooden shields to those pushing underneath.

Battering Ram; As the name implies. A long, heavy, wooden cylinder suspended on ropes and swung back and forth to break open gates.

Ladders.

Fortifications:

Around the country, Joutomaa has no less than 30 separate fortifications; most small, wooden garrisons to provide security to locals, but not to fight a full invasion. There are, however, several important constructs strategically placed for such a defense.

Fort Penin - Located on the Marskimaa border, south of Estana.
Fort Zontu - Located further east of Penin, making up the middle of the wall of three forts that separate the two nations.
Fort Ezman - The easternmost fort separating Joutomaa from Marskimaa.
Fort Modnar - Sits east of Fort Ezman and south of Fort Bunis, on the Riekasmaa border.
Fort Bunis - sits on the Steppe, in the rough "centre" of the border between Joutomaa and Riekasmaa.
Fort Tawnis - The northernmost "border fort" and the last between Joutomaa and Riekasmaa.

And, of course, there are several less significant ones dotting the country. (will be adding more information to this section, but for now I just wanted to get the profile up quickly)

Nevan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Alright, we have five out of the six factions on the main continent, I'm still waiting on Saken. I'll kick the posting off on monday. You guys can start after that. Enjoy :P

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Posting is open. Feel free to start putting down your first post.
To keep the timeline the same for all factions, the IC year is 1191
So from now till next monday, the date is 06/06/1191

As I have said before, each real-time week is a month IC.
Make the most of your first month.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Re: [OOC] The Burning Land: Faction Information

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 am

History:

Across the mountains there lies the land of the Iisima. Bound by sea or mountains on almost all of it's border, they are a very seclusive folk and have little interest in the outside world. The history of this people is largely unknown, thanks to the Supreme Inoris who chose to burn the history books so that we should forget the stupidity of our ancestors, adrift from the idiocy that was before. But word of mouth preserves many tales.....

Back in the ancient days, there were farmers and warriors, largely nomadic but which had 'home bases', of sorts. More and more often as the ages turned they took the shelter of their homes, less and less walking the path of the wilderness. This led to more farming of crops and less of wilderbeast, as they began to actually industrialize, leading to a sort of economy as the towns grew, and actually began trading with each other as they were found. However, they refused at that time to unite under one leader, preferring to stay under the leadership of their town leaders. This growth would have turned into a very different empire if it wasn't for an attack from across the mountains, they never knew who it was, whether a proper army or just bandits. Either way they were too vast for each individual village to deal with, but as they refused to unite, prefering to keep their anomnity, they began falling, one by one.

Half a year later, and half the land belonged to these savage raiders who took what they wanted, as they willed. They ruled their portion by strength alone, and with the villagers still refused to work together. This was changed by a leader from the very eastern village, a charismatic man who was a very honourable man. He called the remaining villager leaders together to a meeting, they agreed because they knew that among all the chieftains, this is the one that wouldn't set a trap. So the meeting came to be, and he called them to remember the joys of freedom which would be taken away if they couldn't work together, the memories that would be lost to slavery, and most of all, the dishonour of slavery, the pain and servitude.

He spoke well, and convinced most of the leaders there that this was their only hope, and they voted him to be the leader of this army. So the counter-army was formed, from all the villages that agreed were sent warriors to follow the 'grand leader' into battle. The first time they faced combat they managed to shock the barbarians by their sudden cohesiveness that they grabbed victory easily. The continuation battles grew progressively harder as the Marauders grew used to their opponents sudden ability to work together and their improvement in different areas in battle. For their was the Usima Archers, the chain warriors from the Ulia, Irtina Riders and other speciallized warriors who would've been fighting individually. Together, their different speciallizations turned it into a very top level army. Iisima's leadership was also extremely high level compared to what the people had had before this.

His people's speciallity, stealth and silent death, were very useful for him, even though a majority of the warriors didn't know of the use of these cloaked warriors. Using them to remove any in his army who would think about ambition over him, Iisima became the 'hero' of his people. With the final bloody battle he stood at the front of his army as they drove the marauders from the land. They rebuilt, with a cult calling him the 'Great Spirit's Chosen Leader!' he quickly became the leader of his people, and the nation was named after him. The leaders after that would be called the 'Supreme' and they would choose out of their followers the next leader. Still the Konichi sit behind the Supreme, killing any who would dare to think of upstaging the Supreme at night. The silent death that most in this country feared. Those wraiths that protected it's lord.

Notable People:

Supreme Kosachi of the Oni,

Grand General Aisai

Grand Strategist Itina

Minister Yunoro

Minister Gihachi

9 regions:
The Usima, whose Archers are still the most proficient in the country. They are not only that but they still hold onto their nomadic tendancies and their archery expertise comes from constant hunting and trapping. They also have a high skill level when trapping. They were the second to put their support behind Iisima. They have had three Supreme's which came from this area.

The Orinacha, The breeders. This is the home of the strongest warhorses in the land, and usually quite a few of the warriors that ride them. They are mostly situated, having been among the first to settle down. They also breed other animals, and are a prime source of meat. They were the ninth to put their support behind Iisima and are the Third of the Forsaken Clans who did not join until half the work of driving the marauders off was already done. No Supreme's come from Orinacha.

The Ulia, the home of the Pits, where people fight, often to the death, for money. This actually trains some of the most skilful fighters as they have to be top class to survive. They are also quite ruthless in battle, giving no mercy to any that surrender. They are most proficiant at the chain weapon, which has custom blades attached so that it will rend anything caught in them. They are the sixth to put their support behind Iisima, and have one Supreme hailing from them.

The Irtina, the wild riders. The Irtina breed, rather than the massive warhorses of it's twin region, Orinacha, they breed smaller, faster horses. Their horsemen were the perfect hit and run fighters during the war, and now they continue to rival the Orinacha. Their region is also the home of the horse races that are quite popular to almost all the regions. They are the fourth to put their support behind Iisima, and have one Supreme that represented them.

The Ysign, The forgotten clan, the Ysign are ruthless killers, and savage barbarians. They come from the northernmost province, with little specialization except that few among them balk at the thought of killing. Killing another to gain status is not an unusual occurance in this area. They were the eighth to put their support behind Iisima, and are the Second Forsaken Clan, No Supreme's hail from here.

The Umira, Leading of the arts, the Umira have devoloped ways to intruige spectators for generations. With songs, tales and general laughter, these people excel at farming and creating, they are the least warlike of the Iisima clans. They were the seventh to put their support behind Iisima, and are the First Forsaken Clan. No Supreme's hail from here.

The Chunai, A much smaller province, the Chunai are masters of deals, for many reasons. These days there merchants are among the most renowned in Iisima, back in the old days they could convince you to do anything for a price. They also mastered poisons and other subtle killing measures, so as to remove rivals without being immediately blameable. They were the fifth to put their support behind Iisima, and have four Supremes which hail from here.

The Oni, The army state. It is the largest province due to its excellent training proceedures, with highly trained warriors throughout the ages. They were also among the first to use proper metal weaponry, and have been at the forefront of military technological advances. They are still the base of the staple army for Iisima, and have stricter laws than the other provinces. They were the third to put their support behind Iisima, and seven Supremes came from here.

And last, the Konichi. But they were the first, truly. The Konichi are the smallest province, with one small forested and mountained area. However, there is a reason that no-one, not even Oni, dared to attack. Because amongst those small farmers in this area, the desolate mountains are home to the monsters that protect Konichi. The Warriors that gave Iisima the backing in the first place. They are masters of silent death, from knives, poison or even just bare hands. Though few in number, the assassins that are here are the most deadly fighters, but they prefer subterfuge to outright battle. They were the first to support Iisima, but only one, Iisima himself, Supreme has ever come from here.

Religion/Philosophy:
They venerate the Supreme's as chosen of the 12 gods and goddesses, with the Supreme's being given a holy vision on their deathbed of who is to rule after them. The gods and goddesses are largely unnamed as the general populace venerate mainly Iisima as the 'God who rose up among men to aid us in our time of need.'

Military:
Troop Archetypes:
Oni FrontSoldier: These light infantry lead the army, with a pack of light spears to throw or stab with, they are also equiped with a sword and shield.

Oni Vanguard:These have the traditional sword and shield of the Oni, but they also have bows. These usual stay at the back, protecting the Usima and standing firm to help a retreat.

Oni HeavyInfantry:With heavy armour and two curved swords each, these heavy infantry can cut swathes into opponent forces just by themselves. They are considered the juggernaughts and are usually sent in after the FrontSoldiers and LightCavalry have softened the targets up, they are sent in with the Ysign.

Oni Scouts:These lightly equipped warriors range far around the army, watching for surprise attacks and unexpected army advances.

Konichi Assassin:The exact weaponry of each Konichi is different, but they very rarely get caught up in full combat, preferring to take out enemy commanders in between battles.

Ysign: The barbarians that are barely restrained until the Cavalry and the Infantry have weakened the opponent. They are savage axe or sword wielding monsters and it takes more than a few good cuts to take them down.

Irtina LightCavalry:At the front, the quick darting Light Cavalry with short bows, spears and swords equipped, their purpose is to harry the opponents, weakening and distracting them before the heavier weapons are thrown in.

Irtina CavalryArcher: These usually ride a bit further back than the LightCavalry, armed with viscious recurve bows, they have a good distance, and will often ride around the enemy to attack them from different angles.

Ulia Pitfighter: These are sent in when the battle is beginning to turn against the warriors of Iisima. Their chains have a wide arc of damage and can often hold back several broken areas in a defensive line while the rest of the army regroups for another assault.

Orinacha HeavyCavalry: These are sent in while the opponent army should be disorganized from the Ysign and the Oni HeavyInfantry. Their armoured mounts and large shields present little openings to attack, combined with their massive hulked armour. And then the scything broadswords or the massive lances take their tole. They are, it is said, not so effective against pikes, but such spears haven't been thought of in Iisima.

Usima Archers:Standing usually at the furthermost recesses of the army, the Usima's Recurve bows are constructed to gain the maximum possible range, and they are usually found peppering the opponents army constantly.

Siege Engines:
Trebuchet, the standard fort assault.
Orinacha Ram:The Ram has an inbuilt shell of shields designed to protect the ram carriers from arrows.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!