Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Nightbane

Nightbane

a part of “Nightbane”, a fictional universe by Vain.

In a world where monsters and magic are all to real, evil rules from the shadows. But there is hope. The Resistance fights back against the Nightlords, monster against monster. They are Nightbane.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Nightbane”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Nightbane

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vain on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:43 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "Nightbane"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.
There is a place within each of us where we cannot escape the truth; where virtue sits as judge. To admit the truth of our actions is to go before that court, where process is irrelevant. Good and evil are intents, and intent is without excuse.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vain
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: [OOC] Nightbane

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:54 pm

I'd be very much interested in this, though it may take me a while to come up with a profile as I think I'd like to design and draw a Nightbane morph from scratch, see if I can't come up with something a little bit different.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me Vit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vain on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 pm

I look forward to it. Hopefully people come up with interesting Morphus forms that I've never thought of instead of falling back on old monster archtypes. Also, remember that your Morphus is a reflection of that persons personality and inner desires. Not to say that if they look terrifying they're bad people. Its just that what they look like fits how they act. For example, if the Nightbane was very outgoing before The Becoming then he might have little mouths covering his body. Or if they were secluded they may look like a faceless shadow. Things along that line. Just some food for thought.

Vain
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rarikou on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:51 pm

I;m glad to see you went through with this. I'll begin working on a seeker. You want original, I'll give you original.

Again, glad you went through with this.

EDIT: is there anything special I need to know for a seeker? Are they all humans, or are Nightbane's in on it?
'The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate. Entrusing his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the Arcana are the means by which all is revealed. It matters not who you are, Death awaits you."

Rarikou
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aixulram on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Totally going to submit a character. What do you think of mecha twins? Is that okay for nightbane(s)?
Kick her ass, Misty! Show her who Ash's true lover is!

Aixulram
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Diesel_Blue25 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 pm

^.^ I just sent in Sapphires sheet. Just tell me if she needs anything changed, I was basically going off of a character that I have made before, and that's where all of the history comes from, but other then that most of it is sculpted for this role play in particular.

Diesel_Blue25
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rarikou on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 pm

I submitted Knoll. You wanted Dark, I'll gave you dark. Nicely and Carefully created for this RP... then again, I use a different character everytime, but I put more thought in it for this one. Truly a dark character?

Vain, have you put much thought into the Seeker's role\ how they fit into the story? Cause I have acouple ideas , if you don't.

Rarikou
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SolanaNight on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:00 pm

Okay, I'm definitely going to submit a character. Also, I official hate picture hunting... >_> stupid pictures being too small for me to work with...

Oh and Aix, I have concluded that it is scary how alike our tastes in roleplays are. :P

SolanaNight
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vain on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:33 pm

@Rarikou - Seeker's are human sorcerers that have been practicing magic in secret since the dark ages. This is mainly because of church persecution for witchcraft. A few may be Nightbane, but not much was known about them until recently. So, yes you can have a Nightbane Seeker. I'm still waiting for the characters to come in. Oddly enough I haven't gotten them yet.

@Aixulram - You can make Nightbane mecha twins as The Becoming doesn't only change biological components. Some people become machine and man intertwined such as having a TV for a head or radio set ears. However, if they are just robots then you can't because technology hasn't advanced that far. Remember that this is set in present day.

Vain
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vain on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:11 am

Ok, I've approved everyone, but Sabimaru who hasn't posted here. Mainly because the character wasn't very well thought out and it seemed the person hadn't read the introduction. Now a few things I think I forgot to mention.

The Facade - A Nightbane's facade for all intents and purposes is a normal human. Though Nightbane do age differently than humans and it is unknown how long they actually can live. Some speculate unless they are killed they will not die. This is hard to test however because when Nightbane die they decompose into mist and vanish, so no one knows if a Nightbane has ever died of old age. Also, the Facade cannot use any of the Morphus's talents. However, the Facade can still cast spells as any human can learn to be a mage with the right sources.

The Morphus - The monstrous form of the Nightbane differs from Nightbane to Nightbane which is why they are called the race of a thousand faces. However they do have a few things in common. For one all Nightbane have supernatural strength and resilience. They also all have accelerated healing capacity. This isn't as good as a vampire, but it makes them formidable.

Magic and Talents - Now for the mechanics of magic and talents. As you know all things have a price. Magic draws on the innate energy of all living things that mages have come to know as PPE or Potential Psychic Energy. When this runs out you can no longer cast spells unless energy is drawn from another source. Most humans that don't have any training have a small amount of PPE. Mages have increased this natural energy through their studies over time and have also learned to draw on another source of energy, Lay Lines. Unknown to most the world is covered in unseen streams of PPE called Lay Lines. Mages have learned to draw PPE from Lay Lines close by to increase the power of their magic or to cast large ritual spells. The greatest spells can only be cast from areas where two Lay Lines cross. This is called a Nexus Point. Lay Lines and Nexus Points also have the effect of increasing the already great abilities of supernatural creatures as well. Thus, Lay Lines are also very dangerous. Especially Nexus Points. The boundary between worlds is weakest at a Nexus Point and sometimes allows demonic or supernatural intelligences to cross over when they accumulate enough power.

Vain
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Diesel_Blue25 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 am

So how many people until we get this started? And I am not trying to sound impatient, I normally tend to ask questions that make people think I am impatient when I am truly not. Any ways before I begin to ramble I have a second question, what is the Becoming? This was probably already answered in he intro or somewhere else but I would like to know. I know its when they discover that they are not humans, but what I mean to ask is how does this happen?

Diesel_Blue25
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rarikou on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:34 am

I assume the Seeker's know about all the stuff about magic? (the PPE and all that Jazz) and If we have an idea for a spell, should we run it by you? Because Knoll, being a mage, will have needed to know spells before he became a nightbane.

And I want to hear about the type of rituals preformed, to better understand EXACTLY what Knoll goes through. Summoning Rituals? Hex Rituals? Curses? Blood Sacrifices? Human Transmutation? Name em. Or, I can get pretty creative when it comes to stuff like that... I can get quite evil.

Next: It says in the introduction, The Seekers are now taking active roles in the world. When I hear that... hm... the closest example I can think of of is the Shomonkai from Devil Survivor- a group of worshippers that show up when demons begin invading, and saying how'lll they'll use them to help the world/ overcoming, the usual mumbo jumbo. Is it something like that? I assume that the Seekers, with their vast knowledge of the Arcane, would have the upper hand in the area. I hate asking questions, but I need to know for better Knoll.

Rarikou
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zadar97 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08 am

I think that I am definitely going to join this. This is by far the best one I have seen so I will get to work on my character. Most likely a experianced seeker who realized he was Nightbane and left the order. He would practice the darkest of the dark magic.

[EDIT: Would that be too much like Knoll Shadowshade? Forget what I was just saying.]

How much magic could just an untrained Nightbane use/learn? Untrained in magic, I mean.
Last edited by zadar97 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

zadar97
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vain on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:14 am

@Diesel I'm going to wait till tomorrow to get this started. Its getting pretty late here. Its like 3AM. Now for your question on The Becoming. The Becoming is what Nightbane call the first time they transform. The Becoming usually happens during the late teenage years, but can also be brought about by intense danger or stress. Depending on the nature of the Morphus The Becoming can be quiet painful or it can be a smooth transition. However, the most difficult part for many is the psychological impact on them. Imagine going through life as you have now and then one day BAM! you turn into something from a nightmare. For many its too much to handle and they end up killing themselves from the stress and being unable to accept it. Others simply return to their Facade when they figure it out and try to live their lives as normal as possible. Still others accept it completely and even take pride in it. Each person is different and has their own way of dealing with it. I hope this answers your question.

@Rarikou Actually, its very much like the Shomonkai. I'm glad you mentioned it. I've been playing the revamped Shin Megami Tensei and it is awesome. I love psychological thrillers which is why I wanted to do this rp so much. Ok, I'm getting off track. The Seekers are becoming more active and can clearly see the threat the Nightlords present. At the moment they work to hold their minions in check, but they also want to control the vampire threat as well. They are loosely involved in politics, but since most of the worlds major governments have been infiltrated by the Nightlords its pretty much a dead end road. Like the Underground Railroad they often take in orphaned humans or Nightbane as apprentices.

Now for rituals and things. Summoning Rituals are fairly common for sorcerers and require an item related to the being being summoned to focus the portal between this world and the next. Lower level dimensional beings can be summoned fairly easy, but higher level beings may require a Lay Line or a Nexus Point. Also, as you may have guessed, summoning can be quiet dangerous for the summoner as well and so defenses are a must. These mainly include correctly drawing the magic circles and symbols before performing the summoning and staying within your circle until the contract is made. Otherwise what you summon could kill you and either return to its world or more likely be free to cause havoc in ours.

Using curses and hexes on enemies in battle is fairly common for mages, but The Seekers forbid blood rituals and sacrifices as well as necromancy as these cause more harm than good more often than not. This is beside the moral and ethical implications. Also, blood magic is very risky. It can give the mage great power as it amplifies their PPE when blood is used when casting a spell, but it is also addictive and corrupting. Many mages have been driven mad from using it. Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask more if your confused about something.

Vain
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vain on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:16 am

@zadar Untrained Nightbane cannot use magic as they wouldn't know the proper spells and procedures to use them. However, they do have innate talents that seem magical in nature. Most Nightbane have no more than a few because they prefer to refine those few talents than to have a multitude of ineffective ones.

Vain
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Diesel_Blue25 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:36 am

Oh okay, I understand now. Thank you for answering in a detailed way. I think we also need more boy characters, I already see this filling up with female ones.

Diesel_Blue25
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rarikou on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:49 am

That more or less anwsers my questions. This is the first time I've actually copied and pasted the rules, and save them so I have a refrence guide. I like the fact that the explantions are long enough for me to do that. Arigato.

I was trying to more or less make Knoll the Amane of the Seekers. A mediator, not very violent, but I also wanted to be far away from the whole ' I'm so good I have an frickin' ANGEL inside of me',... witch actually posed no problem what so ever.

I have an excellent Idea for an opener, now that I have a grasp on these rules...

@Zadar: No, I think they're quite different. While Knoll is certinally researching the blackest of arts, he's just doing it to learn about them... well, maybe he'll try them later, if something REALLY bad goes down. Plus, your leaving the Seeker's, aren't you? That completly makes us different. It'd be somewhat cool to have a dark magic fight, like I'm ordered to bring you in, or some such.

@ Diesel... I'm male.... *sniff*... I kid, I kid.

Rarikou
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zadar97 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:28 am

Wow, I just probably wrote the best, most descriptive writing I have ever done for my character, a Guardian. Why can I never write this well in school???

It is kind of the same, but for guardian instead of NightBane, just to fill a good character.
Even though this is my first Roleplay ever, I think I got the hang of it pretty quick. I can probably think of some nice openings... For me at least ;)

Vain, please PM or tell me here if I can use that character. Any comments or changes also tell me sooner rather then later. It's like 4:30 AM here and I have school to get ready for.

zadar97
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Protagonist on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:48 am

Working on a vampire character. I hope it's good, there wasn't a whole lot of information about the vampies so sorta have to use my imagination to fill the rest.

The Protagonist
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zadar97 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:52 am

@The Protagonist Now that's what your supposed to do! And besides, they are either myth vampires or Twilight vampires and you can guess which one. Hopefully...

zadar97
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!