Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

At a Price

At a Price - OOC - Open!

a part of “At a Price”, a fictional universe by Marionette.

A few recall the legends. Even fewer know the truth. Magic may not be a secret, but compared to that of the Visitors, it might as well be parlor tricks. Now the human world is at stake, and only a select few can head off disaster. Will they?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “At a Price”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: At a Price - OOC - Open!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Sun May 16, 2010 9:34 am

I no longer know what I want. There are a lot of really, really good ideas here, but I'm worried if we keep going like this it's going to be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. I think instead of having everyone toss their two cents in (myself included) it might be better to choose one person to run this and come up with the concept, or maybe two people to collaborate and co-run. I have faith in the ideas of everyone in this group, so I'm sure I would be on board with whatever they come up with. Right now, I think everything is getting muddled and there's no way to democratically decide what to do. My personal instinct is telling me that Imehal and Northern could come up with a really cool roleplay together, but that's just me.

I'm impressed with the Greek idea, and I think it might incorporate the concept best, but I'm not entirely on board with an ancient Greek roleplay just yet. I also don't think it would work well with a feudal system or a "masquerade" necessarily. I'm sure there could be some sort of festival similar to a masquerade though, and if it's priests and priestesses communing and bargaining with gods, then we don't really need the indentured servitude aspect.

Still, I'm kind of leaning more toward a medieval world.... I guess let's wait and hear what Tae and Fly think.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Monroe
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tæfarós on Sun May 16, 2010 1:48 pm

In keeping with the preplanned medieval motif, what if the pantheon wasn't necessarily Greek, but fell under a more Anglican theme? The whole idea of deities is a very enticing one, and it would be nice to try to implement it somehow. Unfortunately, I also agree with Monroe on most aspects; we're a plot happy band and that's perfectly dandy, though our overall idea is at risk of turning into a plate of goulash.

So do we tally ho with Galtien, or do we spend a bit more time in the kitchen? (Goddern it, Monroe, you've got me talking about food.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tæfarós
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Sun May 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Rather than Greek-style gods then, perhaps angels? Obviously not angels as we know them- shiny, fluffy wings, goody two-shoes types- but angels that come in various shades of grey?

But I agree about cooks and broth... Tell you what, how about we just leave Imehal to it and let her incorporate whatever she thinks will work best (I promise I won't take offence if you decide to ditch the gods/demigods/priests thing!) since she went to the effort of typing up a juicy long intro for us?

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Sun May 16, 2010 4:05 pm

o_O I'll wait for flysociety before I do anything... but I cannot believe you guys are even thinking of leaving me in charge... Fools! =-P

I wouldn't have taken offense if everyone had gone 'Ooh, Northern's idea rocks; let's go with that!' It's just what we all want to do at the end of the day, to create a roleplay we can all be proud of and enjoy.

Secondly, I'm loving all the food and cook metaphors. They are making me chuckle!

I think if we're going to create a pantheon, this is going to get bigger than we can handle really, really fast. I'm getting the impression that if we do use the Gods, there isn't really any point the God hanging around too much, as they can bestow their power/influence from wherever they are on the world, one could wager.

Saying that, I adore Northern's concept for keeping one half of each contract somewhat supernatural, so how about this? Instead of my higher mage/lower mage idea, how about we take what I touched upon - mainly to preserve Skogi - to a higher extent?

I sound so arrogant right now, but use my world and the general idea I had going but implement that instead of the 'Bondees' being higher mages, make them instead all mythical beings, whether they be from Ibaria or further afield in the world. I do have brief concepts for each country within Galtien. Now, these beings are usually forbidden from acting in mortal affairs, forced to exist alongside but never melding with the mass population.

However, each tribe is allowed one member of their tribe to go forward into the world, for a reason I haven't come across yet, as long as they keep their activities largely ineffectual on the course of human history. Of course the leader of the aforementioned rebellion has joined forces with one of the more nefarious extraordinary tribes - this can be a player or NPC *nods* - and now the civil war that should have been between two regions of a country and their allies has been transformed into something far, far more diverse.

These powerful supernatural beings making pacts with human mages is not unheard of, but never before has any of the pacts so directly affected the course of history and society for the human population and those people who have seemingly made rather innoculous pacts with certain beings now find themselves hunted by the rebellion leader and his pact partner and their combined armed forces to elimenate other supernatural influence within this war, ensuring success on their side.

Eh, that didn't read as well as I thought it might.

Still, it corporates the slightly more 'vessel'-otherworldly being' theme that Northern was going after, the civil war aspect that everyone seems keen on and of course, the contract basis with which we all love. It also means all the partnerships can have their individual Bonds still, but there is also a greater purpose tying them together as well, whether they be good, neutral or evil. *nods*

So, how about that? Comments? Oh and you are all still fools for letting me be in control. =-P
Gasmask: Alright. Either your CD is corrupted, which'd explain the crashing and odd stuffs.
Imehal: Or?
Gasmask: Your windows really, really, really hates icewind dale.

Imehal
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Sun May 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Hmmm...

I'm not going to lie, I am confused. @_@

Though there is no need to explain, as I am sure the intro of the RP will do that for me. So you all can just count me in for whatever. ^^
Self Proclaimed, Master Realm Weaver: need help creating a RP? PM me!

Vivid-Minds; a society of sophisticated RPers and Roleplays. Join us?

...LIVE in your world, ROLEPLAY in mine...

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Mon May 17, 2010 1:05 pm

I apologize for disappearing. I was having various personal problems, though there's really no excuse, so I won't bore you with them. Imehal PMed me asking for permission to use the RP's concept, etc., and I have given it in full. I'm glad you guys like the idea of the RP so much, and again, I'm sorry this ended up like it did.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Mon May 17, 2010 1:11 pm

There's absolutely no need to apologise, Marionette! I'm pretty sure we all understand that occasionally real life has to take precedent. Thanks so much for letting us commandeer your RP (if of course, you're not joining us...)

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Mon May 17, 2010 8:20 pm

You do not need to apologise my dear, as Northern has already stated. Life throws you curveballs and we certainly can't object to you putting your personal life above roleplaying. *nods*

We just didn't want your wonderful idea to go to waste, especially when we were all enjoying it so much! Thank you kindly! If you can join us Marionette, we would be delighted, even if it only as a plotter. =-D

So now, a simple decision to make everyone... do we continue with 'At A Price' in a different form, now that we have Marionette's permission or do we battle through all this plotting to try and make a new thread?

I put in one vote for staying with this. I like the characters and the premise; we just need to find another partner for Remy Faux!

Imehal
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Mon May 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Thank you guys for understanding! You're very welcome, but it's really nothing. That you're getting enjoyment out of the ideas is enough for me. :)

At the moment, it would probably be best for me not to make any commitments, lest I have trouble keeping them again, but things do seem to have settled down. I'll just leave it in your capable hands for now, but maybe I'll be able to pop in at a future date.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Tue May 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Well at things are getting back to normal, I hope they stay that way. ^^

Hmm...

We have went through all the trouble of starting new plans, plus it would be pretty hard to replace my partner...

So my vote is to stick with new thread.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tæfarós on Tue May 18, 2010 5:50 pm

What a twist! We go through a torrent of rather nice ideas, and now Ms. Marionette has came back. Although I'm sorry to hear how things have been troubling you, it's nice to know that you're well. =)

Now that we have confirmation from Marionette, perhaps we could satisfy both options: There's the possibility of implementing the novel ideas from our brainstorming into the plot, all the while sticking with the initial story. Maybe maybe?

But, as Fly said, Vespasian's already made a prominent stamp on their partnership, though if we could somehow work around that smoothly, then returning to the old thread would be ideal. Then again, we've been permitted to use the concepts in full, so I'm fine with either way.

Tæfarós
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Tue May 18, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm more in favor of a complete restart with new concepts. I think there were elements to the old one that just didn't work, and that in part led to its end. I think simply going with the exact same concept may produce similar results. I'm going to leave this one to majority vote though.

Monroe
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Wed May 19, 2010 1:27 am

I'm with Monroe, I'm afraid...

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Wed May 19, 2010 2:50 am

Majority seems to be the with the total reboot with new ideas. Okie-dokey then!

I've been talking through yet *another idea* with Monroe and once I get a spare moment, I'm going to write it up and submit it as an Interest Check for a few days and then get a roleplay set up.

It's not going to be as soul-stealing contract-based, but I think stepping away from that is a good thing and hopefully the new idea will still be as good and as dynamic.

So, just give me some time and thank you all for being patient. A massive thank you to Marionette as well, for the original idea and bringing us all together like this so we can have a second chance.

Imehal
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Fri May 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Update on my fail-life and yes I could have edited my last post, but then no one would read this:

Next Friday I am moving out of my student digs at long last and I'm going to be spending two weeks thereafter with my family whilst looking for a new home. Now, this in itself is not a problem - I'll have time to post and be in charge but once I get a new place, it might be a little while before we get internet again, as we're unlikely to before one of us gets a job.

To this end, I haven't put up the interest check because if I start the thread, I might not be around for a while to run the roleplay.

So I pose two options: One, I hand over what I have written up to someone else to run this instead. Two, someone else takes over the helm and makes the choices.

This is not a regular occurence for me. Once I get internet back, I will be back for good.

Imehal
Member for 15 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!