Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Return to Eternity: An RP Workshop for New Writers

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Return to Eternity: An RP Workshop for New Writers

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi everyone. My name is StandardFiend, and I've come today with a unique (at least for now) opportunity for you.

Are you new to forum role playing and/or to writing in general? Then I have started a new fantasy role play that is just for you. (I guess you would have to like fantasy as well.) Click this link to check out the RP's tab!

This is not going to be a traditional role play. This has been designed and created to integrate new members into RolePlayGateway society and/or improve the writing skills of its players. As such, this role play is limited to six participants, including myself, so tell me about your interest right here in this thread, and reserve yourself a spot!

My goal is to take on writers who are new to forum role playing and/or who feel their skills need improvement; if you do not fit either of those categories, I am sorry but I cannot accept you. This is a workshop, and if you are not in need of a workshop, you would be taking a valuable spot from somebody who is.

I would like for this RP to function like a seminar: not only will we write posts and have a fun time, but we will also spend quality time discussing those posts in an academic context. As a Mentor, I am here to help you nurture your writing talents, but in this RP I want you to do that for each other, as well.

After each round of posting, I would like for everyone to comment on each other's posts in the OOC. Tell us what you liked about them and what you didn't like. Tell us about what you feel needs improvement, and make suggestions for how to improve them, if you can think of any. Tells us everything you can, and it's important to be as specific as possible. And take other's suggestions to heart and use them, if you like them, in your future work. Keep in mind that nobody is here to demean or attack you; we are all here to help each other. Also keep in mind that I am included in all of this; I will be making posts in the IC right alongside you and I will be receiving feedback from everyone and giving feedback to everyone.

If you keep an open mind and listen to what others are saying, you will improve your writing substantially in no time. And through it all I will be by your side for whatever you need. The most important rule of all is to not be shy! Speak your mind, and allow others to speak theirs. This should be a friendly, constructive environment; we will criticize your work (in the good way, of course) to make you a better writer, not to make you feel bad. I cannot stress this point enough.

There are no rules for your characters other than to do your best to make ones that fit into the world outlined in the RP's introduction (just so we're all on the same page here), and there are no criteria for your character's acceptance; all I ask is that you reserve a spot here before submitting so I can properly admit on a first-come first-served basis.

So, if this sounds like an opportunity you'd like to get in on, please reserve your spot as soon as possible!

Current Participants:
1. blackwolt
2. Lilaiy
3. dealing with it
4. PawsyX
5. Skawaffle

The RP is now FULL.

But, if you're still interested, don't lose hope! Tell me about your interest here and you'll have first dibs if a spot opens up, or if another RP like this one opens up. If there is enough support and desire, there may be others led by other Mentors, and possibly for other genres.

O heart, lament not, for this world is only metaphorical.
O soul, grieve not, for this abode is only transient.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Re: Return to Eternity: An RP Workshop for New Writers

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby blackwolt on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:15 am

I would like to reserve a spot, I have been member of this site for a year or so, but I often get writers block on the basis that I can't write enough every time I want to post. I do also have problems with fightings against other R-players, I don't know how far I should go in most fights against other R-players, and am therefore staying away from most roleplays where it is in two groups fighting each other. I would like others opinion on what I could do to improve my roleplay "skills" and maybe even meet some R-players I would like to roleplay even more together with in the future.

There is a lot more to improve than this, but this is my main problems I see myself, you will surely see other bad things, but surely see other good things about my roleplaying as well.

Regards
blackwolt

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

blackwolt
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CortexiphanGirl on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:44 pm

I would love to be considered for this role play opportunity. I'm always trying to look for ways to better my writing and role playing abilities, but the feed back that this workshop promises would be invaluable.

I've always loved to write, but I'm new to role playing. I hold a lot of apprehension when it comes to making "bold" moves, or moving plots along. I tend to only be responsive in my posts, not necessarily proactive. I have some hazy lines drawn in my head about what you should and shouldn't do as a role player, but I'd really like to get to know the boundaries better. I have a lot to improve on, and I think this would be a fantastic opportunity should I be accepted.

Best wishes,
Lilaiy

CortexiphanGirl
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Since I'm both new to the forum, and I haven't roleplayed in 13 years, this is something I should definitely be seriously considering. Okay, I've considered. I'd like to reserve a spot.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks very much for your interest, guys. I'll be thrilled to have you on board! Go ahead and submit characters to the RP at your earliest convenience. As I said, there are no hard-lined criteria for acceptance, so don't worry about that. I intentionally left a lot of the details of the world vague to encourage you to be as creative as possible and feel free to try stuff out. There isn't very much you can't get away with here, unless you submit some kind of crazy space alien with laser cannons...

Two more writers and we'll be good to go. I'm looking forward to this.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PawsyX on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm pretty interested in this, due to the fact that I'm rather new to the RolePlayGateway stage! I know some stuff about writing, but of course there is always room for improvement in all areas. Character background, however, is the main focus for me. I can think of the basic ideal of how my characters start out, but I can't seem to flesh and detail them out.

After some thought, I would like to reserve a spot! So, mind if I join?
"And now for something...

completely different."

PawsyX
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:09 pm

I absolutely do not mind; in fact, I'd be delighted to have you. Character background is a very important part of development, yet it's also one of the most difficult. It's easy to decide who your character is, but deciding how he or she became that person is not so easy. Feel free to submit a character to the RP whenever you're ready!

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skawaffle on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:56 am

I think I'll snag spot number five. I'm not quite a beginner at roleplaying, but I'm new to the website alright. I'm looking forward to working with you all. It can never hur to go back to the basics as a writer, after all.

Skawaffle
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby blackwolt on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:09 am

The more the merrier if you ask me, glad to have you on the team, I am sure StandardFiend feels the same way as I. ;)

blackwolt
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Well, considering the overwhelming response I've received for this role play, I'm not so sure I can afford to...

Who am I kidding, eh? You're quite welcome to join in. I'll be glad to have you as our fifth and final member! Head on over to the role play through the link above and submit a character whenever you're ready. After we receive yours and one from PawsyX, we'll be all set to go. And feel free to join us in the official OOC for the RP... blackwolt and I were having a riveting discussion about Dungeons and Dragons earlier.

Yes, yes I am a complete nerd.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skawaffle on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:00 pm

I've a creeping suspicion that most of us roleplayers are quite the nerdy type. :P

Skawaffle
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!