Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Needed A Mentor...

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Needed A Mentor...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:27 am

Hi I was hoping to get a mentor? Im not very good at roleplaying yet so it would be really nice to get some tips or maybe some help with my writing and helping with like characters and the differences between them and just little stuff like that.

I also dont know how to be very narrative or how to write long sentences or anything like that as you can probably tell from reading this. Which if this is a waste of your time with helping me im very sorry.

I would really appreciate some help so I can be a better roleplayer.

I have read the Roleplaying academy tips but It just doesnt seem like it would be the same compared to smeone actually helping me. So if you could please help that would be highly appreciated.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kugorie
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Needed A Mentor...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Hello there! Have you already found a mentor?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:22 pm

No I dont yet

Kugorie
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:47 pm

Oh, you haven't? Then, if you don't mind being mentored by a non-blue-coloured-name, I'd like to extend my offer of mentorship to you!

Can I get some links to your most recent work? It can be anything -- links to RP threads, links to RP tab roleplays, short stories, long stories, in-between-stories, anything!

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:13 am

Ummmmm I can do my best but the only rp that I can really show you is not on this site because im just starting to roleplay on this site... But if you dont mind waiting a day I can get you one from this site...

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 am

Ok I wrote a story... Its just like not even really half a page of my story because I dont have a lot of detail... at least I dont think so... But anyways if you'd like to look at it I think you can get to it from this?

this-from-story-writing-t52350.html

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm also here if there is anything that you need.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks Jag feel free to check out my story and comment/ criticke (spelled wrong sorry)

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 pm

Sure, I don't mind looking at your RPs on other sites either. ^^ Show me everything, lawl.

Some thoughts on your story (sorry if I'm being rude or brusque, I just want to give honest opinions so we know where to improve!)

*I didn't understand that this was a story involving Olympians and gods and such until halfway into the story. Maybe give a little bit more detail and description earlier in?

*Why does the main character hate Damon just because they're destined to marry? Weren't they best friends before? Kind of cheap, if you ask me -- you could try to elaborate on the emotions the main character feels, or you could try to soften it up. Personally, I wouldn't say the main character directly hated him; perhaps embarrassment might be a better emotion to feel? Or a feeling of utter awkwardness around them?

*Run your posts through a spell-checker before you post them. I know this is a rough draft, so it won't matter much, but in RPs, excellent grammar and spelling are great. They look better and are easier to read. I suggest having out a tab of Microsoft Word to copy-paste your posts into.

*Remember punctuation at the ends of quotes (and also commas in general, to designate pauses in speaking)!

"Look now my son and my future daughter in law will grace us with a dance" his voice echoed throughout the great hall.

-- should be --

"Look, now my son and my future daughter in law will grace us with a dance," his voice echoed throughout the great hall.

*Damon's surprise and shock at being called to dance with the main character doesn't fit with the subsequent action, that of suddenly grabbing her to dance. Maybe an awkward, feeble motion towards the main character -- a weak hand inviting her to dance -- would be more fitting.

*The flashback when they dance should be a paragraph of its own instead of being in between the two ideas of the dance beginning and ending. Think of your posts in little sections. Unless they're closely related to each other, they shouldn't be in the same paragraph, or at least, they should be single-spaced. As it is, it's hard to note where the flashback begins and ends.

*So he enjoys the dance and walks out? Nothing else? Surely they can exchange a few words at least.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:01 pm

lol thanks and ya I was trying to the think of how to begin it since this is from like the middle of the book lol I didn't know how to throw in the Olympians.

And there is an actual explanation on why she hates Damon its just not in this part because yes they were great friends.

Ok I will defenitly use word more often now :)

Yes, your example sounds much better then mine thank you :) (Sorry Im answering these per paragraph lol)

Um I was trying to show that Damon didn't exactly want to dance but I didn't do a very good job I know :/

Ya I'll fix my flashbacks :)

Um I didn't know what to say cause he really didn't want to talk to her so what would you suggest?

And now that I hopefully cleared some stuff up what would ya like to know :) lol

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Oops! Sorry for my sudden disappearance. In the time that I've assessed your work and now, have you written anything else of note that I can read thru?

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Hmmm let me see if I can find a good roleplay comment lol :P

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:40 pm

Here..... A small comment...

Dustin sauntered out of his old beat up house. The boards on the house were falling apart and the paint was old and falling off. It looked like something off of a horror movie, the windows were falling apart and the hinges were falling off. The house was supposed to be a cream colour but it looked like a rusted brown with pieces of dirt cream within it.

Dustin hardly even noticed his falling apart house. He just rested his arms on the old railing that wrapped around the houses porch. He looked out at the street watching people pass by. Many smiled as they passed the house but Dustin just ignored them, he was too deeply in thought of what he should do about his freakishly real nightmares. Unfortunatly he couldn't think long before he had to go inside to grab his breakfast.

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:33 am

Some thoughts, again:

*You reuse the phrase 'falling x' a lot. Could you replace that word in subsequent instances with other descriptive words, like dilapidated, "in peril of suddenly collapsing", etc.? As it is, the comparison to a house in a horror movie is a bit weak. If you used different words, it would flow better.

*"but it looked like a rusted brown"? Do you mean it was actually the colour of rust, or was it actually cream but... somehow looked brown? Don't use indirect comparisons like that -- they mess up the flow of the story.

*"too deeply in thought of what he should do" is a bit of a strange selection of words. Can you think of any ways that you could change that esoteric phrase to something else?

*You're doing good with the spellchecking! But there are a few minor instances of misspelling. For example: "houses porch" should be "house's porch", and "Unfortunatly" should be "Unfortunately". Don't be discouraged, you're improving very well!

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Lol thank you :) Ya I always spell unfortunately wrong lol.

Is there anychance you could give me a sample of a good descripted post thats not very long?

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:18 pm

XD What kind of genre do you want? A fighting or non-fighting post? More descriptive or more dialogue-ish? And do you want me to write it or should I give you someone else's? Does it matter to you what kind?

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Um if you could write it , it would be nice. Ummmmmmm non fighting? Dialogue or descriptive and what kind???????? lol

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 am

Just another small note regarding grammar. This is a common mistake that few people ever catch and I find myself using improperly.

"Falling off of" -- there is no need for the "of." You can either say "falling off" or "falling from," but the of is a redundant word that otherwise adds nothing to the phrase. This is one of those things that use incorrectly in the spoken word all the time, but it becomes far more apparent when written.

You're really improving and it's great to see. Also, thank you so much to Aspiration for helping!

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 pm

The Rage of Denver -- while you might not know the backstory of this RP, I hope you'll appreciate it. I know it's a lot to read, especially asking you to read every post, but reading is how one really learns the finer arts of writing.

Would you mind pointing out some things you especially notice in the writing? Different styles of writing -- some more descriptive, some more abstract, some more full of dialogue, some full of flowery writing, and others relatively dry? Use of semicolons / strange punctuation? Note where you point these out and how these factors interact with other factors to create an RP.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kugorie on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Im sooo sorry, I forgot to look at this, um yes I will defenitly look at it, do I start from the beginning?

Kugorie
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!