Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Questions.

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Questions.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Troven on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi. I was looking for a deadlands rp and came accross this site. After looking around I have to say: I am confused. Since this site is non dice how is combat solved? (I have only played stuff like deadlands, all flesh must be eaten and old/new world of darkness. Where you are shooting zombies, vampires, and stuff.) My second question is: After I made a character and it is accepted can I edit it? Like if I wanted to add a picture.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Troven
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Re: Questions.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Ah, that is quite the question. First, we do have dice games here if that's your preferred outlet of Rping. We even have a built in dice-rolling system for the chatrooms. However, dice systems aren't as common or widespread as our free-form RPG's, but I know of a few that run D&D games, and I imagine you could find interest for a World of Darkness game, if we don't already have one.

However for the free form RPG's, it's more a system of collaborative writing than anything. Players working together, to write a story. So with this in mind, combat is often done through a certain level of etiquette. There are multiple systems, that can vary from game to game, but the basics of it is that all attacks on another persons character must be written as attempts, and all evasions or blocks should be logical and feasible within the constraints of your characters knowledge, abilities and the situation. Naturally the success of this is based heavily on the level of sportsmanship of the players, and it frequently comes down to outsmarting your opponent rather than simply out stating them. Someone once described fighting in free-form RPG's as playing chess in text.

That's the gist of it though. Think about it like writing a book. Authors don't have systems in place to determine if their characters attacks work, they determine it based on the flow of the story, and their knowledge of their characters.

As for your second question, you can edit your character profile after you submit it. However, you can't edit the name, so make sure you pick your name wisely before you submit it, and I encourage you to always use a first/last name combination.
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!