Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Creating A Roleplay

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Creating A Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bashie L. Craft on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:22 am

I've been on this website for quite awhile now, almost five months and I think it's time I create a roleplay. I have the idea set in my brain for a while. It's not anime nor is it realistic. That is why I am a bit worried.

No cross that, I'm worried about everything. That little voice in my head keeps saying how bad it will be. How stupid the premise is. How terrible it was plotted. How it does not make sense. How I'm too young to do this. How no one is going to join and even if they do, they would leave within a few weeks. those things....

I'm young, very young within roleplay standards. I'm the age of your annoying teen sister and I fear that I may not be experienced enough to be a Game Master. I am dedicated to every roleplay I am involved in and try to help, but fail most of the time.... Roleplaying is a way for me, and probably yourself, to get away from the real world and be another person. I know what I want and I know that I can handle it. But everyone needs help and advice.

The roleplay centers around this quiet town called The Town. It's a regular town, small and quirky but just like every other. Everything seemed normal until one late night. Strange rays appeared in the sky, passing through windows and holes. It only lasted a few minutes but the damage was done. Only the town saw it, no other place did. That was when the powers started. One by one, people started gaining powers and learn to master them, while hunting down giant rats and fanged cats.

Yeah...That's just the beginning. I want this story to be mainly action and comedy with a dash of drama and romance. These individuals and their reactions, how they feel. How lives would change if we had powers. How is it? I don't need the picture to be anime or realistic because this roleplay doesn't exactly have a proper place there. I could feel it more like a cartoon, rather than a real anime or a real life situation.

What do you think? I need opinions, changes, criticism and of course, help. I will be very, very astoundingly grateful if you do. English isn't even my second language,

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bashie L. Craft
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Creating A Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:07 am

Take a look at this post. It should help you out.
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bashie L. Craft on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Thank you, it helps but I'm trying to know how to understand the Game Master concept and how to do everything properly...If it makes any sense.

Bashie L. Craft
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blackbird26 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Hey there! I don't usually post much in the forums, but I saw this here and I couldn't help but give you a reply, because about a year ago I had a little voice of my own saying pretty much the same things yours is. My RP wasn't anything brilliant: I had very little actually planned plot-wise, and I had never GMed before. I was terrified out of my mind that it wasn't going to gather any interest, and that even if it did it would fail miserably. I went through with it though and even if it was a bit of a rough ride, it was successful.

So, my personal opinion of your roleplay (as posted here): I think the idea is great and can develop into an interesting story, but you should have a main plot and an idea of how you want it to end. Are the characters supposed to find out where the powers came from? Are there going to be people abusing or misusing their powers? Do all the people in the city gain powers? If not, how do the people who haven't gained them see the ones who did?

If you base the RP solely on the characters and their interactions people might get bored and stop posting. You should give them freedom to add things and develop their characters, but it's important that the a story moves somewhere and the players feel involved in it even while their characters are out doing their own thing.

This guide is simple and lists all the duties of GMs and RPers alike. I think it will help you better develop your RP and understand what is the role of the GM in an RP.

Hope this has been helpful in some way.
"Real power comes not from hate, but from truth."

Blackbird26
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bashie L. Craft on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Thank you for the support, I will read it through and try to think of a way to end the plot, which I admit is one of the reasons I can never finish stories because I keep going with the flow.

Bashie L. Craft
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!