Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

How do I deal with an admin godmodder?

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

How do I deal with an admin godmodder?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MilkHoney on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 am

Okay, I'm in a sticky situation. Need advice. I'm in a roleplay where the creator is godmodding with every post. The other players have been rolling with it. Now, it has happened to my character, only I can't really roll with it, because in my last post, I wrote exactly why what has supposedly happened wouldn't happen. I wrote all kinds of safeguards in, not even realizing at the time that was what I was doing, against this. I'm pissed because my character's freewill has been violated, assumptions have been made that wouldn't have been made (presumably) if my post had been read, and no one else in the game has spoken up to address the issue. This person is the creator/admin of the game, so maybe it isn't polite to point and yell 'Godmodder!' on the OOC? Most of the games I've been in or run, the admin/creator wasn't a person to be feared of pissing off. Okay I take that back. I have run a D&D game where boulders fell from the sky when I was pissed at the players, but the DM is basically god of the game, not a player.

I realize I'm still too pissed to talk to this person. I also realize I'm too pissed to handle this with good humor and delicacy. I don't want to quit the game, because I think it is a nice setup and the other players are decent. I don't know what excuse this person has for godmodding, whether they've just never learned roleplaying etiquette or if they are too immature a writer or what. I think whatever I say to this person, I should say it in PMs to avoid embarrassing and possibly escalating tension on the OOC.

So do I treat this person like a naughty child and explain what godmodding is, why it isn't polite or fair to the other players, and suggest how we can fix the bad posts? Include a link here to the Roleplay Academy so someone else can mentor this person?

Do I take the line this person threw me and pretend it isn't godmodding, but just a really bad assumption, tell them it was a bad assumption, and ask for a rewrite?

Do I suck it up and leave? With or without explanation to the other players for why I'm stepping out?

Is there a great solution I haven't thought of? There probably is. Share with the class.

Please PLEASE help me out.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MilkHoney
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: How do I deal with an admin godmodder?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 pm

You can try to talk to the person and calmly bring up what you see as the problem and ask if there is a way that you can talk about a potential solution.

Chances are, however, that when someone engages in blatant and egregious behavior as you describe, especially if they are the GM, there isn't much that you can do. Your best bet is just to leave the game and cut your losses. I know that may like some of the other players and the premise, but the game and the GM are rarely separated and you can't have one without the other. Sometimes, it's best to just be realistic and get away from the bad situation before it really burns you out.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:09 am

When you say "I have run a D&D game where boulders fell from the sky when I was pissed at the players," I'd lump that in with the kind of behavior this admin is engaging in. GMs/admins are not different from DMs (although in a multi-admin game, there may be lesser admins under the main GM(s) who have less power); DM is just a specific kind of GM. I'm of the opinion that the GM's goal should never be to specifically defeat the players, and OOC feelings should not influence IC action, but that's how some people roll.

Anyway, while it's true that GMs are the gods of their games, GMs can also be lousy, tyrannical gods. Some people are just unsure of what they're doing or how much of the fun it kills for their players. It can be worth it to try to bring it up (as delicately as possible) and explain that you are not having fun because you feel like your post is being ignored and your character is being treated unfairly. Some will be understanding. Just be prepared for the possibility of a GM going, "Too bad." It's their right... whether or not it's always nice or reasonable. In that case, when the game ceases to be fun for you because of someone's bad behavior and the issue is not being addressed, you only have two choices:

A) Keep playing and put up with it.
B) Leave the game you're not enjoying anymore.

Option B is generally the better one. Roleplays should be enjoyable above all else. When it feels like work or punishment, it's usually time to evaluate whether it's the right game for you.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MilkHoney on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:17 am

Thank you Jag and Marionette. It looks like I'm leaving. After I collaborate with another player to kill off my character.

If the godmodding was plot-based, or environmental, which the GM committed, I probably wouldn't be as icked out as I am. Sometimes it is necessary to get the party back on track. I'd edit my previous post to fall in line with the GM's mission. But it's nothing so grand. The GM's character is threatening, fighting and attacking everyone, and then writing how other characters are reacting. It isn't plot herding, it's autohitting and controlling PCs.

I don't think OOC drama should ever enter into the IC. That being said, and without going too deeply off topic, I'm going to explain the circumstance behind the instances in which I've allowed boulders to fall from the sky. I was pissed -as their DM- because they kept killing themselves off despite all my efforts to keep them alive. The closest I came as a DM to having a PC of my own was a high level NPC cleric that I invented for the sole purpose of rescuing the party. The greatest threat I posed them was making them reroll a new character before they decided to walk their Level 1s into the mouth of the nearest beastie. Did they fear pissing me off because of the possibility of falling boulders? No. Because I might not order Chinese takeout? Yes. When I truly want to be intimidating, I fail epically, but there was still the intent, however weak, of inspiring fear in my players. I own up to that.

I came here because I know when I'm pissed, I don't deal with things well, and need plenty of time to cool off and hear reason. And also because I was surprised no one was voicing concern with the GM's character, though we had people pulling out with different excuses.

The sort of godmodding happening is action based and presumes upon the actions of other characters without allowing those players input. It is the most common type of godmodding I encounter. I don't have fun interacting with Ultimate Fighters. Or romance bots. And since the GM's character interacts with everyone, all the time, my scowls are outweighing my smiles. So I need to make my exit.

But first I'm naming who gets to kill my character and writing the death scene. A little (melo)drama will probably cheer me up immensely.

I will be talking with the GM, now that I've calmed. She told me she's never had anyone else give her feedback before, and was excited to have received some, so she probably would benefit from a mentor.

Thank you both, again, for answering this SOS.

MilkHoney
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:06 am

If the GM is being open to your feedback, I would hold off slightly and see what progress you can make with her (this is assuming you haven't brought it up yet since you said you "will be"). The godmoding situation sounds pretty bad, but as long as communication lines are open, it's not necessarily a "stay and suffer" vs. "leave and be happy" decision. If you're lucky enough to be playing with someone who listens to your concerns, like any good GM should, you may see some positive change in the game. That's if it's worth it to you to try, though. Again, the most important thing is having fun, and there's no reason to force yourself if your heart's not in it anymore.

The situation you got into with your D&D players is a pretty sticky one. There are so many variables in D&D, it's hard to examine without some really specific info (no need to get into this; I'm just explaining the lack of tips I have to offer here xD). Sky boulders are not necessarily a solution I'd advocate, but we're all human!

As a side note, I like that you're working out an IC way to remove your character from the game before you do it. I know there are some circumstances where people aren't able to, but it really is good to plan ahead and think about the effect your departure will have on the game. It's just a responsible thing to do.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!