Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat โ€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Gay marriage: Yay or nay?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Gay marriage: Yay or nay?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Juvenile-River on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:10 pm

People try to make this an issue of quality, but it's not. It's a matter of semantics, whether or not same-sex unions fit the definition of marriage. It's not about whether or not two people who love each other should be allowed to be together. Love is not the only reason for marriage, and gay couples can live together if they want. I love my cats, but I'm not going to marry them.

Also, marriage is a religious institution. Even in Japan, their non-Christian people marry in a church.

I'm not for gay marriage because I see it as an oxymoron.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Juvenile-River
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Juvenile-River wrote:It's a matter of semantics, whether or not same-sex unions fit the definition of marriage.
Allowing or barring same-sex marriage has clear, real-world consequences. I don't think you can boil it down to a question of semantics.
Juvenile-River wrote:I'm not for gay marriage because I see it as an oxymoron.
Simply redefine marriage and this "problem" disappears. It's not hard to consciously choose which definitions of words to accept; it happens all the time in the time both within and outside of philosophy.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Juvenile-River wrote:Also, marriage is a religious institution. Even in Japan, their non-Christian people marry in a church.

Oh you, trying to scare everyone by pretending marriage is a religious institution. Everyone who actually knows what they're talking about knows marriage is a little certificate given by the government, with no religious requirement involved. In fact, the religious couldn't even be married if they didn't get the okay from the government, because marriage stopped belonging to religion a while ago.

Juvenile-River wrote:I'm not for gay marriage because I see it as an oxymoron.

Good thing the definition of marriage is incredibly malleable, or else it would still be required that you be the same race as the person you're marrying. Or, even before that, it would be a method of exchanging property (read: girls/women) between men for the sake of alliances or money after which the woman would legally cease to be a person and simply become her husband's property. Good thing indeed!

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Archaeological on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:46 am

Marriage is a contract between people and is not specific to one culture or religion, and is definitely not a religious institution in the modern word. If you're talking about the religious ceremony and tradition, you're most likely referring to holy matrimony. ^^

Archaeological
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AerialWitness on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:33 pm

I say 'Yay' although am a Christian because who am I to say who people love and don't love. I didn't create them. I don't know their journey or the path that they will take. God said love your neighbor as your self and I wouldn't want to be treated like shit because I'm going to marry someone of the same gender.

AerialWitness
Member for 10 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxous on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 pm

id say, duh? could be because i have a few gay/ lesbian, friends who i love dearly, or it could be because of the fact, i can never judge based on love, but mostly i think i agree because who am i to say no?
-From the Dark, To the Light... and beyond all that.

Nyxous
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShieldMaiden on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:17 am

Definitely yay. Who are others to tell us who to love and who not to love?

ShieldMaiden
Member for 10 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ManOnRock on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Surprised this debate has lasted so long. I feel like the origin of such things comes down to opinion. And there is one thing our generation can agree on: All of us are entitled to our own opinions. No gay person is telling others to be gay. Any who oppose gay marriage should take some personal advice from the bum in their lives and not give a hoot, since they aren't the ones getting married in the first place.

ManOnRock
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Minipunk on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:30 pm

people should marry whoever they want to as long as it makes them happy :)

Minipunk
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Lifegiver

I'd have to say Yay, but before I get write why I agree with it I would like to state that first, I'm most likely bi-sexual myself and I don't really have a religion stand point so I just consider myself agnostic.

Now let me start by saying, a Washington Post/ABC News poll from Februaryโ€“March 2014 found a record high of 59% of Americans approve of same-sex marriage, with only 34% opposed and 7% with no opinion. The poll also revealed that 53% of the population in the States that currently do not allow same-sex couples to marry approve of same-sex marriage.

50% of respondents said that the United States Constitution guarantees the freedom to marry the person of one's choice, regardless of that persons's sex or sexual orientation. 41% disagreed, and 9% had no opinion.

This is quite a huge thing to say the least, since it means that a lot more people are beginning to agree with same-sex marriage and that the people who oppose are gradually getting small. I'm not saying I'm basing my opinion of of statistics from polls cause they could of messed with numbers a bit, but if it's at least partially true then it's a huge step for America to become more tolerant of people.

While I did get my information from Wikipedia, even though it's not the most trustful resources. I do have many other links that say that the majority of america agrees with same-sex marriage.
Here,Here,Here and I'm sure there're probably many more.

I myself agree with same-sex marriage because a relative of mine is a homosexual (or bi-sexual, I don't have much of an idea about it but I know she's dating a women. I also agree cause I don't see a logical reason to not agree with same-sex marriage. I don't believe that marriage is always between someone you love, there are financial benefits to marriage as well.

ใƒœใ‚ฏใ‚ปใƒซใกใ‚ƒใ‚“
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Script on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:47 pm

I'd just like to take a moment to address everyone who argued with me here.

Checkmate, bitches.
Image Image

(03:04:15) Lialore says: I wanted to be the poo.

Script
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Cult Leader Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:13 pm

I have met gay people who were against gay marriage because the didn't believe in any marriage at all. Doesn't make sense to me why to not give people self-determination. Marriage doesn't need to be about sex even though I personally do not see any point of marriage being special. I would personally rather just choose a personal bond with my partner (no matter if male, female, transgendered or hermaphrodite: Cuz I am omniromantic.)
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grnmachine on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Of course a YAY! Even if it ends up not concerning me, why should i complain? If it has nothing to do with you, then you have no say in it- if you're straight, then you shouldnt be concerned with Gay marriage. Why should you be?

Grnmachine
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby serenitykmoon on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:58 am

Aniihya wrote:I have met gay people who were against gay marriage because the didn't believe in any marriage at all. Doesn't make sense to me why to not give people self-determination. Marriage doesn't need to be about sex even though I personally do not see any point of marriage being special. I would personally rather just choose a personal bond with my partner (no matter if male, female, transgendered or hermaphrodite: Cuz I am omniromantic.)

Okay. So. Let's say that you have a "life partner" whether girl ,guy, cat, robot whatever - your life, your fetish.

One day your life parter gets sick.
They don't work, because you - are the main provider.
They stay home with your children - which being a parent doesn't equal health insurance.
You go to your job and say, "Hey boss, I wanna put my other half on my insurance lets do this bro." They can't do that. You have to be married to do that.
So your other half, goes without proper medical care because you and they can't afford all the $$$$$ in bills.
So because you're not married, they can't have insurance, they get sicker.
They finally get to see a doctor, and they find out its something terminal.
So now your other half is in the hospital, and they're dying.
They're really really sick and there's nothing you can do about it.
Then, the hospital decides - only FAMILY can visit. You are not legally family. You are not married. You are not blood.
They have every right to stop you from being there.

Marriage is more than just a piece of paper, its a safety net for things like ^. You don't HAVE to change your name, you don't have to do a lot of things. You really DON'T have to get married, but - it is a good idea for some things.
I really do love feedback, so please leave some for me.
If you wish to get ahold of me, just note me. I don't bite!
I specialize in Romance, Fantasy (More magic than anything), Mystery

Keep an eye on my upcoming psych thriller!

serenitykmoon
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:20 am

That sounds more like an argument for giving the same rights of marriage to registered partnerships.

I like living in liberal paradise.

On-topic. Why can't two consenting adults get married? They aren't doing anyone any harm by it. I mean. Seriously? I don't see any argument against it. Well I see arguments being made but... You know.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:51 pm

serenitykmoon, I must have been drunk when I wrote that. Please disregard it, I do intend to marry another guy within the next two years.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby >Marionette< on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:09 pm

I can't believe this is a discussion people who follow abrahamic cultures are wild man

>Marionette<
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Strix on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Let people marry whoever they wish to marry. I don't care.

Strix
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PrettyOddTho on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Absolutely yay.

PrettyOddTho
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Polka on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 am

People should be able to marry anyone they choose. Why in this day and age must we deny people happiness?
Happiness for some people is all about getting married, so let them do it. No-matter their sexual preference.

I do understand that Marriage was a 'religious' privilege at one time but that ship has long sailed. and I don't mean to cause offense by saying that.. plenty of atheists get married nowadays which totally refutes the point that gay marriage is a Sin against the church because surely not believing in the religious act behind marriage is also a sin?

Anywho- Everyone has a right to happiness and the bond of marriage. Happiness for all I say.

Polka
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!