Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Favorite music, author, books, movies and series

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Re: Favorite music, author, books, movies and series

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lessie on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Bands: COLDPLAY (huge fan here)
Books: Harry Potter
Movies: The Harry Potter films are good, Inception, The Dark Knight, The Lion King, Terminator 2, District 9, The Avengers, Titanic and The Green Mile.
Series: Doctor Who and The Vampire Diaries

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lessie
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nageki on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Music's easy:

Bands: Masterplan, Killswitch Engage, Crush 40
Songs: I Believe I Can Fly, Wounds, Rose of Sharyn, The Will of One, Open Your Heart

Books are another story, I just don't have patience for an entire book, a bit of a paradox for a RPer I'm sure. However I do read a lot of comic books.

Comic Books: Green Lantern, X-Men, Deadpool, Batgirl, Nightwing, Fantastic Four

I've got too many movies and TV shows to list so I'll go with whatever comes to mind immediately.

Movies: Star Trek Generations, The Avengers, Toy Story (All of them), Iron Man
TV Series: Person of Interest, NCIS, Arrow, The Mentalist

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nageki
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WakkaWakka on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:07 am

Favorites:
Band/singer: Disturbed, Blake Shelton, Bill Withers, KC and the Sunshine Band, Florence and the Machine.
Song: Seven Devils

Books: Song of Ice and Fire. I adore Jon Snow and Tyrion.

Movies: Gotta break this into sub-genres
Romance: Its a Boy Girl thing, completely cliche but tugs at my heart strings.
Drama: The Painted Veil's great as is Pay it Forward.
Action: Braveheart
Comedy: Either Shanghai Noon or blazing saddles
Cartoon: I really enjoyed Wreck-it Ralph, it ties with Monsters Inc. and Lion King inside my heart.
Horror: Don't be afraid of the dark.

Series: Futurama, South Park, The Mentalist, and Game of Thrones.
Favorite manga/manwa: Don't read a lot of manga, but the one I do read avidly is Skip Beat, so it wins my vote. Favorite Anime is School Rumble.

WakkaWakka
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jaydens on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:56 am

Bands: Coheed and Cambria
Song: Remember the Name,
Books: The Host
Movies: Titanic
Series: South Park
Favorite manga/manwa: Angel Sanctuary [Kaori Yuki]

Jaydens
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby udontwannaknow94 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Mine are:
Favorite:
Bands: Three Days Grace, Bring Me The Horizon, Papa Roach, Black Veil Brides, Five Finger Death Punch, Escape the Fate.
Song: Bring Me The Horizon: Diamonds, Crucify Me, Papa Roach: Last resort, Hollywood whore, Three Days Grace: Animal, Break, Never too late, Escape the Fate: Situations, Gorgeous nightmare, Makeup.
Books: Chronicles of Vladimir Todd/The house of night series
Movies: Donnie Darko, Fast and the Furious movies, Interview with the vampire, Vanhelsing, and Queen of the damned.
Series: Lost girl, Being human, True blood, Game of thrones (for sure!), That 70's show (Yeah i still watch them all xP), and American Horror story (Awesome!).
Favorite manga/manwa: Wolf's Rain

udontwannaknow94
Member for 11 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saxious on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 am

:Favorite:

Music:

A lot of people have written bands for their music. If I had to, it would be Linkin Park & Simple Plan. But honestly, I'm far gone from the times of listening to bands, and moved on to Electronic Music, so my list will be mainly composed of DJs.

1. Paul van Dyk

• I'm a large fan of PvD, as he makes some fatastic tunes that stands out in the Electronic world. His live performances are all memorable as he mixes trance, techno and electro together in harmony, and he's a deeply humble man that understands the connection between the crowd and DJ.
  2. Paul Oakenfold

• The man knows how to produce some amazing tracks. Not only for techno, but the Bourne Identity Soundtrack is a great example for how he is capable of making diverse types of music.
  3. W&W

• "Lift Off!", "Moscow" and "Invasion" are but some of the heavy club hitting Progressive Trace anthems that this duo has created. The best way I can possibly describe would be, "Sound without bone shaking bass is not music", that's W&W to me.
  4. Daft Punk

• Legends will remain legends. Nuff said.
  5. Laidback Luke

• Not a Trance or House DJ, but a man of Dirty Dutch. Honestly, he has few tracks that I actually like, but it is his style that makes me fall in love with him. His ability to go from Deep House to Dirty Dutch to Rock is amazing. He's truly a wizard on the turntables!

Song: Don't mistake me from a complete addict to electro music. I have a few songs I play whenever I'm having a nice long shower (and sing along to) Evanescence - My Immortal, Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On, Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day, Simple Plan - Untitled.

Books:

1. Mathias Thulmann by C.L. Werner

• I'm a big fan of the Warhammer Fantasy universe, and this is a great way to gain insight to the Empire and the work of the merciless witch hunters that roam the lands. The serie keeps you entertained, either with epic battles or exchange of venomous words.

The main character, Mathias Thulmann, is a witch hunter working tirelessly to track down a mad scientist who does inhumane experiements on humans, causing widespread mutation and fear. His hunt brings him far and wide, and before long he finds himself pitted against monsters of man's nightmares.
  2. The Dwarves by Markus Heitz

• It's hard to be original with fantasy, but Markus has done such a fantastic job bringing new light to the stereotypical dwarves. You can read the first 100 pages and not much would have happened, but after that, you will find yourself witha book glued to your hand.

Raised amongst humans, knowing next to nothing of his clan or kin, Tungdil Bolofar’s foster father is the local magi who gives Tungdil the opportunity to finally visit his kin. However, the dark powers of the Perished Lands is invading the lands, and unwillingly Tungdil finds himself involved with complicated politics, a race against time, and a nigh impossible quest to assassinate the Lord of the Perished Lands. Supported by a pair of psychotic twins, a cowardly gem cutter, thieving bards and a mage with a temper, the madness has only just begun.
  3. Iron Company byt Chris Wraight
    • Another Warhammer Fantasy book, this one is not about the brave soldiers who fights in the front line, on the contrary it focuses on the gunmen who works the cannons, mortars and more dangerous artillery of the Empire.

Magnus Ironblood is a Master Engineer, grizzled veteran and ever-thirsty drunkard who has been hired to oversee the artillery of Hochland army that will be fighting attacking a fiercely defended fortress belonging to rebels. Accompanied by a dwarf, Thorgard Grimgarsson, with a mysterious goal, his longtime friend, Tobias Hildenbrandt, and a Tilean Mercenary with attitude, Silvio Messina, they take up a battle whose outcome could be determined solely by how well they brains and cannons.

Movies:
  • Kingdom of Heaven
  • RED
  • Dungeon & Dragons
  • Gangs of New York
  • Brothers (Danish Version)

Favorite TV Series:
  • Olsen Banden (Eng: Olsen Gang) [Danish Comedy]
  • Scrubs
  • Jersey Shore (I like yelling at the TV)
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
~Buddha

Saxious
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lux Et Tenebrae on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 am

Favorite-
Bands: Evans Blue, Thousand Foot Krutch, John Pruett
Song: Evans Blue: Erase my Scars, Thousand Foot Krutch: Fly on the Wall, My Amends: Slaves
Books: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson, The Black Prism - Brent Weeks
Movies: Any of the Lord of the Rings movies and of course, The Hobbit.
Series: None, unless I decide to add in anime… There just aren’t many good series on free TV anymore.
Favorite manga/manwa: Agh, so hard to choose. Once I would have answered straight out Berserk or Elfen Lied but now… I don’t know… I’ll have to review before I can answer this properly. My tastes have changed a lot. However, were I to alter this to anime, I’d definitely have to stick to Guilty Crown. The music, storyline, characters, animation and pretty much everything about it caught me.

Lux Et Tenebrae
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RichterGotz on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 pm

(Copy-pasted from another "favorite movie" thread.)

Stalker (Сталкер) - (1979) Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky

Probably one of the trippiest movies I've ever seen in my entire life. A Russian take on the post-apocalypse. No zombies, no mutants, no jump scares, nothing. Very little dialogue, very simple plot. Its more like a piece of art, a moving painting, than a film. The full movie can be found on Youtube, however, I don't recommend it for the easily bored. Watching it through the first time can at some points feel more like a chore than entertainment, but the feeling you're left with after finishing it is simply exquisite.

Its incredibly introspective, and is famous (in a cult classic sense) for its philosophical conversations. These discussions though, are very open-ended and vague, never leading to any real conclusion. The point of them is really to set the mood, rather than push any one point of view onto the audience. You are supposed to decide for yourself what you think of these interactions between the characters.

If you do decide to check it out for free on Youtube, and decide to go ahead and experience the whole thing, I advise you prepare yourself. I had crazy dreams after watching this, no joke.
"I have learned that Anger and Will, joined together, are the greatest Power. I have learned to meditate Anger and Will with clarity and precision, and I have learned to open the hidden reservoirs of Dark Side Power." ―Palpatine, from The Book of Anger

RichterGotz
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Toxicjinx on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 pm

:D Super cool thread!If I share interest with anyone feel free to PM me! c:
Favorite:
Bands: The Killers, OK Go, Weezer, Amanda Palmer, and The President's of the United States of America
Song: Lost- Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra, Bang Bang - Armchair Cynics
Books: The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly
Movies: Oh man. Shaun of the Dead was like the movie of my childhood, but I also adore The Muppets
Series: Once Upon a Time (Shamefully)
Favorite manga/manwa: Fate/Stay Night c: Fo sho.
The Brinking Point is looking for Players, right now! c:

Toxicjinx
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MurderVictim on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Hmm...

Bands: The Click Five, Breaking Benjamin, and various other bands. It's too hard to really pick, lol.
Songs: Changes every day. Right now, it's "These Times" by: Safetysuit
Books: Oh, gosh. So many. Well...The Wolves of Mercy Falls is my favorite series, written by Maggie Stiefvater. And the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness is also a favorite. But there are many, many others. Too many to list.
Movies: Again, many. Warm Bodies, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, The Cabin in the Woods, How to Train Your Dragon, Lilo and Stitch, and Men in Black...just to name a few.
Series: Just TV shows, right? Invader Zim, N.C.I.S, Law and Order: SVU, Dan Vs., Regular Show, Adventure Time, MLP: Fim, and most 90's Nickelodeon/Cartoonetwork shows.
Manga/Anime: Just anime, really. FLCL, Soul Eater, Zatch Bell, Naruto (before Shippuden), and Wolf's Rain.

MurderVictim
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tsundere ohimesama on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Bands: Vocaloid 2, Vocaloid 3

Songs: Twiright Prank, Servant of Evil, Daughter of Evil, Re;birthday, Regret Message, Kept waiting for response, Migikata no Chou, Prisoner, Meltdown, World is mine, Ref;rain, Blessed Child, Tori no uta, The Riddler who cannot Answere a riddle, Psychotic Len (I don't really sure about the tittle), Magnet.

Novels: the Evillious Chronicles, the Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the rings, The Hobbits

Movies: Rise of the Guardian, Lord of the rings, the hobbits, the chronicles of narnia, Harry Potter

Series: Sherlock Holmes.

Manga/manwa: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Detective Conan.

tsundere ohimesama
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Broken Alice on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 am

Favorite Music: I enjoy all types of music. Most interested in instrumental or music focused on the instruments not the singers, rappers, screamers. ;]

Favorite Author: Ellen Hopkins, love the fact that she writes the nitty-gritty of life too much fairytale endings in what I find myself reading.

Favorite Book: "Acheron" by Sherrilyn Kenyon. This girl knows how to hook, line, and sink you into her book or at least this book the others not so much. Beware lots of sex and blood gotta be mature on the matter.

Favorite Movie: Tie between "Black Swan" and "Kickass". I will watch the shit out of those two movie. *DROOL*

Favorite Series: House M.D. I will stalk Hugh Laurie till the ends of the earth.

Broken Alice
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Destroyer & Creator on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm

I find myself reading plenty of books but cannot decide on a favorite. Does it have to be one?
I am the Destroyer and Creator of worlds, you can call me DC...

Destroyer & Creator
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vextra on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Favorite Music: Really hard to determine since I have very broad tastes, but its either Van Canto or Pink Floyd's The Wall, for very different reasons. My tastes tend to go all the way from folk metal to prog to 80s new wave to electropop.

Favorite Author: Sir Terry Pratchett. A bit of a cliche anwser, but noone else has consistently delivered quite so much high quality prose, and prose that is constantly changing itself up whilst remaining consistent to existing Discworld lore and general over-arching themes and elements.

Favorite Book: "The Founding" by Dan Abnett, the first Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus. This man really knocks it out of the park for WH40K fic, and noone else really comes close. The progression in quality from his first story to the third in the omnibus is visible, and the siege of Vervunhive is just about some of the best war fiction prose i've ever read.

Favorite Movie: I really enjoyed the 1990s film "Stalingrad", for similar reasons to why I enjoyed Ghostmaker(the vervunhive story mentioned above) but my favourite film is probably Back to the Future 3, which is for me in many ways the most perfect movie ever made. Perfectly paced, perfect character drama, perfect movie-logic, just extremely well made and alot of fun.

Favorite Series: Always a tough one, but Doctor Who overall simply for entertaining me the longest of any series, though Star Trek Deep Space Nine, House, Game of Thrones, Lost, and a tonne others could also compete for the title.
Roll on, deep and dark blue ocean, roll. Ten thousand fleets sweep over thee in vain. Man marks the earth with ruin, but his control stops with the shore.
-Lord Byron

Vextra
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lone Dreamer on Tue May 14, 2013 9:46 pm

I am now in the land of instruments even though I like all types of music I find myself most interested in the music instruments make and not our mouths. Favorite author would have to be George R. R. Martin and Ellen Hopkins. Books are Game of Throne series, and most of what Ellen Hopkin writes, as well as Acheron. Movies would have to be... I have no idea.

- Sincerely Dreaming
The things you cannot posses, are the most beautiful of all.

Lone Dreamer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Catx3 on Thu May 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Bands: Iron Maiden, Strawberry Switchblade, Crystal Castles, Cut Copy, The Velvet Underground, The Rolling Stones, Hole
Songs: Heroin by The Velvet Underground, We Are the Dead by David Bowie.
Movies: The 120 Days of Sodom, A Serbian Film, The Exorcist, Begotten, Eraserhead, Flesh for Frankenstein, The Evil Dead trilogy.
Books: American Psycho, A Clockwork Orange, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Requiem for a Dream, Rosemary's Baby, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Silence of the Lambs.
Series: The Mighty Boosh.
Author: Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Bret Easton Ellis.
Favourite manga: Parasyte

Catx3
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby M|Alice on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Bands: Paramore, Nightwish, Evanescence
Songs: I have no clue D=
Books: Ellen Hopkins (Pretty much all her books), Achereon by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Movies: Black Swan, Love Jason Statham/Ellen Page films
Series: House M.D., The Office, Arrested Development, Parks and Recreation, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black
Favorite Manga: Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball Z series, Code Geass, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, Evangelion, Birdy the Mighty, Fate Zero, Steins; Gate, Fate Zero, Wolf's Rain
ImageImageImage

M|Alice
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renna on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:46 am

I like posts like these. xD

Bands: P!nk, Green Day, Nightwish, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Linkin Park
Song: P!nk: Sober; Nightwish: Over the Hills And Far Away; Evanescence: All; Within Temptation: Our Solemn Hour; Linkin Park; basically everything
Books: The Inheritance Series, anything by Yasmine Galenorn, some classics like Shiloh
Movies: Maleficent and Frozen, currently xD
Series: Orphan Black and Orange Is The New Black. My loves. <3
Favorite manga/manwa: I haven't read anything new in a long time, but I think Strawberry Panic! still holds first place for me.

Renna
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bodoe on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 am

Bands: Taylor Swift, Switchfoot, Coldplay, Grouplove, MGMT
Song: Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks- The National, The Last Time- Taylor swift, Everything has changed- Taylor Swift
Books: Game of thrones, Harry Potter, Redwall
Movies: Paranormal Activity, Hills have Eyes, Pitch Perfect
Series: GREYS ANATOMY, Sons of Anarchy, Jericho, The Office
"Maybe we like the pain. Maybe we're wired that way. Because without it, I don't know; maybe we just wouldn't feel real. What's that saying? Why do I keep hitting myself with a hammer? Because it feels so good when I stop..."- Meredith Grey

Bodoe
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marzo on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:02 am

Bands: Journey, Chris Daughtry
Song: Don't Stop Believing, Brave by Sara Bareilles
Books: How Not to Write a Novel, Letters From Screwtape, Paper Towns (weird list, I know)
Movies: Lion King, Saving Mr. Banks
Series: Sherlock (all time), How I Met Your Mother, Law and Order
"If you can dream it, you can do it."--Walt Disney

Marzo
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!