Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

IC || Grey&Spectral

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Re: IC || Grey&Spectral

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Contact. Snow wracked her brain for the last time someone had willingly touched her in a non-battle context. Three years, four months, nine days. A man seized my shoulder, alerting me to the danger of newly-awoken Abominations. My… initiation. It had been no more or less than a baptism in blood, that occasion. That Lilith seemed to take touch so casually was not a surprise to the elf, though the fact that her shoulder was the one squeezed was certainly peculiar to her. For a moment, her perfect lack of emotional expression faltered, and her eyes widened infinitesimally at the other woman, her step pausing slightly, the staccato hitch an unexpected interruption in the smooth legato of her movement.

What was perhaps worse was that those same sun-dyed fingers were then in her hair, the other woman’s diffident commentary a testament to her disregard for personal space. This wasn’t so much an offense to Snow as a throwback, something from a time she’d left in the dirt of a pauper’s grave a while back and never expected to see again. Wordlessly, she inclined her head, and reminded herself to make something for the internal injuries manipulators tended to suffer. Advanced coagulants were usually advised, to stop the bleeding from precipitating more than necessary, but such things could not simply be produced on demand. The magnifier turned away for the moment, intent on catching up with the others.

She had taken perhaps three or four fluid strides when an unusual passage of air behind her caused her to turn quickly, pivoting on one foot and coming to a calculated stop in time to watch Manon collapse. Lucas’s comment was noted but otherwise ignored as Snow abruptly flitted to the woman’s side, long fingers wrapping about the tank’s wrist in order to ascertain her pulse, as Fallon was doing to her throat. It thrummed steady and strong beneath her skin, and a thin-lipped elf brushed hair back from the human’s forehead, checking for signs of fever. Nothing, though it was not impossible to note the eyes moving rapidly beneath their lids. “Dreaming, then…” the comment was a whispered thing, a tiny confusion, but this too passed. There were those who suffered phantasms of half-banished demoni. All did, to a certain extent, but some worse than others.

Snow knew.

When Manon rose again, it was with an affected nonchalance that did not fool the perceptive magnifier. Regardless, it was not her secret to tell, and Snow turned as the others did when the man approached with Nica. She paid more attention to his words than most, but she would have to clean and bandage the not-child at the earliest convenience.

Lucas was not nearly so composed, and Lilith seemed to only add fuel to the fire, reclaiming her sword and hamstringing the captor in a precise motion that was admirable for its cleanliness if not its use. Snow’s chest hollowed slightly with her exhalation, so soft that it was unlikely anyone besides Amaryllis would have heard, but faintly reminiscent of a hiss. Almost frustration, and she moved towards the injured man with purpose.

Crouching by the screaming fool, she applied enough pressure to shove him backwards, so as to be on his back, lying in the dirt. It was perhaps conducted more roughly than necessary, but only by a bit, and the deftness with which the length of white bandage wound around the gash more than compensated. The words passed over her ears, filtered through the same neural pathways as anything else she observed even as she tied off the bandages and presented the man with a canteen of water.

“Drink,” she said, and though it differed little from her normal voice modulation, there was no mistaking that it was a command. "You will need the hydration. Then tell us everything you know of this intelligent Abomination. I will not stop them from persuading you by other means if I determine you have left anything out whatsoever.” This was quite the speech for Snow, and she fell silent subsequently, locking eyes with the dirty man and allowing her complete indifference to convey the truth of the words.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wudgeous on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:23 pm

In his younger days, he might have tossed his hair and turned up his nose--a quietly coy gesture if there ever was one, coming from one so apparently stunted in humoring capabilities. Ever the trotting mare, Lilith's swaggering gallops circling the crew was something to be expected. No doubt sweeping up as much approval and unspoken trust as she could muster, sucking it all in so it would fill her lungs as that vile smog of hers did. The others played along well enough, and he found that... unsettling. Perhaps he merely didn't care to understand the point of it, or perhaps he understood too well. Instead of reciprocated merry-making, a sneer slid across his lips like a match seeking flame, and he regarded her as seriously as one would a corpse. "Hmph," he concluded finally, keeping his judgements to himself. He would not hear any complaints today about his unfriendly facade. Not today.

And then came further tiring matters, avalanches of paper pushed across his desk. He held his tongue when that Lucas boy forcefully, rudely thrust himself into the open before anyone else. Although, Ezekiel didn't have to try terribly hard to keep his words silent and his fists idling. He was in a bit of awe by what transpired, brows knotting while the front of his mind churned. If one asked very specifically, he might have admitted that he was a little impressed with the senser. The actions may have been rash, but they were nonetheless more than Ezekiel came to expect from one he considered a bratty, fast-talking coward. Who knew? The smarmy bastard knew how to take offense after all. (Wasn't that elf trying to get on that one's nerves? Evoke some limp-noodled wrath? Ezekiel wondered if he felt defeated by this turn of events, where a complete stranger succeeded where he had failed).

However, his placid demeanor changed when Lilith got involved. At the slice and splatter, Ezekiel turned his eyes to Amaryllis--briefly. He found he had little time to search for her guidance, as the dilemma was growing, growing, like a malignant tumor steadily spreading out of control. They were participating in a blood sport, and they considered it justified.

That will not do. Much like how one would stomp on another's foot beneath a tablecloth, he discreetly rapped one of Fallon's pronounced wrists, disapproval etched into the lines on his face. He'd seen the senser of sight reaching for his arrows earlier, and did not take kindly to the threats either. It was a look that had criticized his posture, his impatience, the way he swung a blade as he would a club. As one recruited by familiar tapering fingers and gentle words, Fallon should have known better, more than anyone else. No one was spared from his scowls thereafter. It was evident enough that whatever they thought they were doing, Ezekiel deemed it incorrect. Deemed it a failing to be ashamed of, to contemplate in a corner with a triangular hat scraping their scalps. The clang of his steps carried him in their midsts, right before the injured party. He eyed Lilith in particular as he began to speak, though he addressed them all:

"You feel you represent the best redeemers have to offer, do you?" He inquired, harshly, coldly, each syllable carrying a sharp weight. Thunder in solid form. "Bullying a fellow man over trivialities. Before us is no abomination."

Or have you forgotten to tell man and beast apart, so drunk on darkseed blood?

Snow, at least, seemed to be on the right track with her offering, but even she was displaying aggression. Her "friendly" final statement did not sit well with him. He heaved a sigh, a dragon releasing plumes of smoke and licking flame from its nostrils, head bowed, and he knelt before the unfortunate creature on the receiving end of so much of their displeasure. So much pain for so little profit. No one innocent, even of the sort that have not committed a crime yet, deserved this manner of treatment. It wasn't like he killed the child. "I apologize for these..." He hesitated, clearly biting back words he knew he would regret before grudgingly rephrasing, "for my comrades. They lack restraint."

Amaryllis may have had the right idea after all, viewing them as children. He rose, like the needle's shadow on the face of a sundial, growing with the emergence of dusk. His old military training was rearing its head. He stood his ground, a stone rooted into the very earth, and the stagnant challenge on his features was a tablet engraved into his very being. There would be no further display of hostility, unless they wish to come through him. "He stays alive. Intact. And, he stays with us. Am I understood?"

The logic was clear. Any harm that should befall them, any harm that this squirming, sniveling worm could prevent with a few choice words, would befall him as well lest he speak up. He was already rendered incapable of escaping, and any secret weapons would have already been presented at such a late point. The man would be an informant of his own accord, as was fair. It might not have been the most attractive course of action, but it was a more worthy route for the redeemer brood than this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Wudgeous
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Averagebear on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm

A predicament had popped up almost immediately after they left, which Ama supposed she really should have expected. Her heart stopped at the sight of a child being hauled over the gravelly dirt, her already strained face twisted with outrage. The world grew silent as she froze, staring into the eyes of the young child in their party. How had she forgotten about Nica? Guilt consumed her. She didn't hear Manon's offer, having grown deaf in order to keep herself sane in her panicked state of mind and she moved to stop this madness, but before Ama could so much as say a word, the children had gone and pounced upon him. She watched with a growing sense of horror as they assaulted him, and her hearing came back full throttle with the sound of the man's tendons splicing as Lilith's blades slashed through them. His screaming and pleading boomed even louder.

Suddenly, a bubbling hot mess began to rise in the pit of Ama's stomach. It managed its way up her chest, tightening all the muscles there until a pressure had bound itself around her heart. It wrapped its hands around her throat, choking her. At first it felt alien to her, this new sensation, but then she remembered that this was what it felt like to be truly, genuinely angry. It'd been years, but she knew it well. She'd felt it when she'd been sold by her father, had felt it every time that bastard of a man that was her husband had laid his hands upon her, everytime her sons had screamed like their dads. Before she'd joined the organization, this frustration- this trapped feeling that burned at her insides - had stolen every day of hers. Now she was more angry than before, simply at the fact that this terrible sickness had returned to her again.

Her face contorted with the feeling- at everyone and everything, it seemed- little raging tears streaming down her face. She hated it, the fact that she cried so often. She wished she could rid herself of the wetness that trickled from her eyes because she wasn't sad or downtrodden; she was furious. How dare this man treat a child like that and how dare the Redeemers treat him like an animal. How dare Litatio lie, how dare Abominatoins exist. She was so mad at how terrible the world seemed to be lately. Why was everything so wrong? She just seethed where she stood as Nica went along with Lucas and Snow attended to the man.

Ezekiel stepped in and spoke where Ama could not and she agreed with most of his incentives, yet remained torn. This man was not their friend, either. He was as guilty as the brash who'd tortured him. If she'd been in a better state of mind, she would have flashed Ezekiel a grateful glance, Fallon an encouraging one that would tell him not to worry about the situation like a mom calming a child down at the scene of a car accident. However, Amaryllis was not, so those gestures went undone. Instead, she approached the man laying on the ground with unwavering focus.

"Please! Please, I jus-" he had reverted back to pleading, his confidence apparently draining with his blood. She interupted him as she crouched down next to him, not far from Snow.

"Stop," she snarled quietly, pretty little mouth turned into a straight line that looked foreign on her freckled face. One of her petite hands raised ot her face to brusquely wipe the unwanted tears from her cheeks. She approached him and went to her sack, pulling out dried leaves and placing them on his wounds. They wouldn't stop the healing, but they'd numb the pain almost instantly. "Please, elaborate on this monster." she said curtly, eyes boring into him like blue flame.

"Ahhhh," he sighed, tilting his head back and closing his eyes, relaxing as if he were being slipped into a sauna. The medicine was working. He was silent, caught in the relief, and Ama let out a strangled sigh through her nose, having lost patience. He caught onto her irritability, and gazed warily at her.

"There's this... thing -- this guy -- who's been," he paused, as if he didn't want to say the words, "been givin' kids demoni blood."

"How are you involved?" she asked immediately, the accusatory tone in her voice not easy to overlook.

"I..." he sighed, turning his head to the side with guilt, "I was selling opium an-"

"Were you the one to give the blood to these children?" she cut him off asked, voice firm and commanding.

"I... Look, I had to. He told me if I didn't - if I," he choked up, "he'd spill the blood into my daughter's mouth as she slept." He appeared like a caged animal now, sticky tears trickling once more down his face, though he had no physical pain to account for them any longer. "She's only fourteen- I couldn't-"

"Were you aware of the fact that the blood would turn these children into monsters?" She demanded. He tried to avoid her eyes, but her gaze could be felt even when not directly seen.

"I-" he began. His mouth quivered before he nodded.

"Who were they?" She hoped to tell their families that they had passed, so they could be given proper mourning but the man did not oblige.

"Look, I don't know. They came asking me for it. I don't ask questions!" he growled, coping with his sense of guilt through being defensive. "This guy... it's like he's making an army... but the guy isn't human, he's a monster ... he treats the entire thing like a joke! Like their lives are a game!"

"And of course it's only serious if your child's life is on the line." she spat.

"You don't understand, you just don't get it. He's just... evil... he makes you do things, feel things..."

"And... the bees... the buzzing..." he said, voice trailing off. His eyes fluttered and mouth opened, bordering in and out of consciousness due to blood loss.

"What? What about this buzzing? Tell me more about this man!" she pressed, tensing when she realized he was leaving, gripping onto the front of his shirt. "Answer!"

"He's just," he began dreamily, "he's..." he started again before retreating back, "Listen, please, just tell Sara-"

Suddenly, a sharp sting pricked Ama behind her ear. She slapped a hand to it, smashing an insect's body against her pale skin. Then another sting, on the other side of her neck. She smacked again. "Ah," she cringed as another stung her on her collar. The buzzing came back to her, only this time it was a raging symphony, consuming all of her senses. She looked back down at the man to see that bees had swarmed his body, though he couldn't feel their stinging due to her medicine. They left angry welts, and swelling red marks all over his skin, dipping into his mouth, crawling into his nose, landing on his glassy, opened eyes. He appeared to be dead, but Ama heard his heart racing, his body trying to fight against the venom, before it exploded in his chest.

She leapt to her feet, terror clinging close behind as she swatted away the several bees that hung around her and looked to the others, seeing that they'd all suffered the same fate. She couldn't remember the last time fear had gripped her so, and turned to Ezekiel in her panic, almost as if she expected him to have answers. As soon as she faced him, she immediately knew what she had to do and spun on her heels just as quickly as she'd whipped around to look at the man. She felt her breath hitch as she ran to Nica while she dug into her napsack, throwing the wooly , thin blanket she used over her. "Put this over you and run," she instructed to the little girl, knowing that the poison would be more effective on such a young person. A seed of worry blossomed in her stomach at the thought of sending her off by herself, again, but there was little she could do. Just as she'd given the instruction, a voice, one that she wished she could forget as soon as it had sounded, rang from the man's corpse. She turned slowly, cautiously, to peer down at the lifeless husk come to life by the swarming insects. She was stung again as she stared at the scene with round eyes, but didn't bother to smack it this time. She had to keep herself from vomitting at the sight.

A soft, malicious giggle broke the silence.

Suddenly, the man's mouth was pried open, the bones popping and skin tearing, moving as something from inside rustled under his skin. The thing was seemingly birthed from the dead man's body in an extraordinarily short amount of time.

The whole thing- the interrogation to the appearance of this monster- had happened in a flash. Just as he'd crawled out from the man, he dragged himself up and began to hover above the carnage, floating rather than standing, a sinister smile just barely etched onto the heinous shell he resided in.

Just one head cock to the side- just one motion - was all he did before he had disappeared and reappeared again behind Lilith, shoving his arm into her stomach. He loomed above her, picking her off her feet and studying her face innocently as he probed. Yet, there was no blood, no puncture.

Lilith screamed, a loud clear sound full of fury and fear. She gripped at the creature's wrist as it pushed farther and farther inside her, her hands slipping against his skin which slipped off like cream. Rage and horror consumed and distorted her face as she grit her teeth. Every inch of her body fought and flailed and strained, and yet she had no affect.

His hand roamed through her insides, trailing up til his arm was all the way up to her brain without any harm. And then, with a flick and a hushed gasp for air, she appeared unconscious, limp in his hold. He brought out his hand, this time allowing it to rip at her skin, leaving a bloodied hole in her back. She fell to the ground with a thud, just as his eyes locked onto Fallon. "Oh," breathed, his smile growing.

Averagebear
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wudgeous on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 pm

"The hell is that bastard--?" The words died on his lips and he turned away, unwilling to watch Ezekiel kneel before the man who kidnapped a child. Had he gone completely daft!? Keeping the fuck alive would just mean he could find some other little girl to drag against the rocks, and Lucas abhorred the thought. He abhorred the parasitic redeemer's decision to let it be possible. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Lucas wrote entire essays in his head of the things he would say as soon as Nica was out of earshot; imagining comebacks that would render the stupid ass into silence, imagining the most hurtful things he could possibly snarl. All the while, he was knelt next to the child, quietly apologizing to her for the scene and how they'd let her be taken by that man. Amusingly enough, if she were a little older, any bystander would think he'd been forced by his overbearing parents to propose to her, so grumpy-yet-sincere was he.

Then, alarmingly, the feeling returned, and that was when he saw its source. He strayed from Nica, meaning to warn his group to beware of the insects, when the cascading explosions of the bundle of firecrackers reached its climax.

"Before us is no abomination"? How the fates did love to make one eat their words.

Amaryllis raced past him, and somewhere in the back of his mind, he appreciated her quick wits. He barely had time to give Nica a reaffirming nod toward the instructions she'd been given before something else seized his attention by the neck.

"LILITH!" he screamed.

It was too much. It was all too fucking much. His heart was hammering so hard it must have broken his ribs while he ran, while his friend dropped to the ground like a doll. He collapsed onto his knees as soon as he reached her, scraping his palms as he, vibrating with emotion, grabbed her shoulders. "Oh my--Oh, no, no, no, no, Lils." He wanted to shake her as violently as he could, try to wake her up--but all this blood, he--

For reasons he couldn't explain, he found himself looking to Ezekiel. It was true that Lucas aggressively disagreed with the show of mercy, but the beginning of the dark man's reprimands returned to him.

What did it mean, to be a redeemer....?

If it meant crying like a fucking brat, I must be the best of the best, he joked to himself, grinning despite it all. Horror did funny things to a man. His fingers took hold of the Lovers, and he stood brandishing them firmly. "I'm sorry, babe." He'd mumbled to her, "I won't scratch 'em up too much. I promise."

Wudgeous
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yonbibuns on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 pm

If there had been any other place he could pull himself, Fallon would have already extracted himself there. An impregnable fortress away from expectations and blueblood manners. Nothing made sense here – constantly surrounded by heavy moral duties he could not understand and useless responsibilities he could not weigh in the creases of his palm. No longer did he wish to count raindrops slipping from branches, with it's wet splatters, muted noises, bated breaths; all were distractions of his own guilt. Since becoming a Redeemer, each idiosyncratic object had been intensified, sharp as magnified diamonds and easy enough to focus on when his tongue felt dry as whittled branches When words, let alone malleable sentences, no longer existed in his mind and faltered from his cheeks in an exasperated puff. His fingers were completely, absolutely, drawn to the prospect of immediate violence and it's abrupt finish. His own had twitched, hesitating only because Lucas had pivoted past him in the last few seconds it would've taken him to draw the arrow tightly to his cheek. If he hadn't been there, would he have let loose an arrow straight through the man's skull, without even questioning his motives? He believed it to be so.

Disappointment; that was all Fallon had seen there, in his eyes. Endless pools regaling him on his recent behaviour, reminding him that he'd been painted with better colours. This sentiment was not new. Inevitably, he was disappointed that Fallon hadn't been able to cope with any crisis properly, ashamed that he'd just seized up or immediately sought to end the conflict with one simple arrow and most probably embarrassed him that he'd managed to screw up again. It was all weak kneed, elbow-jerking, destructive backlashes. His teeth were always gnashing across someone's ankle. Couldn't he understand that some things were simply unforgivable? Ezekiel's dispiriting wrist-snap hadn't actually hurt, not at all – it was the indefensible, underlying meaning that struck him so. His knuckles clenched, tightly. The tips of his elongated ears flushed red, burning. He should have known better than to jump to conclusions. He should have known better than to disappoint Ezekiel and Amaryliss, once again. By reacting this way, Fallon felt like he was spitting on Amaryliss' kindly instructions. Leaving her bewildered and saucer eyed at how she could've raised such a boy, such a barbaric man. His upbringing beyond his biological family had been coddled, gentle and real. He should have known.

You feel you represent the best Redeemer's have to offer, do you? He was not the best the Redeemer's had to offer, not withstanding the kindred spirits inhabiting their ranks – he knew that much. He was a broken vase that needed to be cleaned up, lest someone step in it's shards and feel a little less optimistic about their endeavours. He was the disappointing grass stains rippled across your kneecaps. He was thick rubble underneath their feet, cracked and receding in the poorest parts of town. He was dust particles trapped between the folds of their eyelids, stuck there, while no amount of water could drown him out. Fallon was not a charismatic conversationalist who enlisted his aid wherever it was sought – he did not offer his hand where he believed it wasn't deserved and he did not wish to change how he was unless it bettered their situation. Even then, even then, the Elf could not fathom mashing his molars together, decidedly tolerant, and bandaging this disgusting wretches legs just to drag him along their misadventures. Human slavery, human trafficking, kidnapping a child. This was not a fellow man. Fingering dirt in his salted wounds, Ezekiel bore down that this man was being bullied over trivialities – how could he?

Perhaps, more than anything, Fallon couldn't tell the men from the beasts. The men – humans, especially – had always proven to be more vicious, more calculatingly cruel than their beastly counterparts. Animals did not willingly choose to restrict someone's rights, did not intentionally cause pain, did not press it's toes into your neck and laugh until the sound ricocheted through your skull and made you bleed an uncharacteristic bitterness. They did not colour you black and leave you hollow. Fallon did not disagree with Snow's conducted, well-controlled, aggression. After all, she'd done more than he would've ever considered doing – she'd bandaged his damaged tendons and bound them, tightly, even if she'd shoved him back on his ass. The lines in his mouth pinched, straight as a bowstring. Far too contrived to include any of his own rampant thoughts. His unwavering silence, for those who knew him well enough, spoke for itself. Amaryliss was already moving forward, rocking uneasily on her heels as if the breeze threatened to blow her away, much like a leaflet or an old photograph. She was a galaxy-bound mystery, eluding his better senses, surprising him. Her anger was sharp-edged, slick as oil – disallowing any further arguments, tying the knots off frayed ends.

They'd always told him that when he met her, that he'd lose unimportant parts of himself. Become a better person. Learn to be compassionate. Transform himself. He wasn't so sure. He watched her retrieve medicinal herbs from her pouch and slather it across the deepest wounds, soft fingertips probing and gently pushing the concoction into a thin, glazed layer. Fallon couldn't fathom setting aside his anger – couldn't imagine pushing aside his thoughts and his justifications. A thin layer of sweat shined at the man's forehead, clearly perturbed from Amaryliss' probing questions. He could not make out what she was saying because she was facing away from him, but he knew it involved the information he'd been keeping from them. The injured man was left – in this one-sided conversation, from Fallon's vantage point – sputtering and spitting and groaning about an unknown man-creature who'd orchestrated everything threatening his family. Emotional, wreck-ball questions seethed him. Would he feed children tainted blood to save Amaryliss? Ezekiel? His family. His companions. He did not know.

Fallon hadn't heard the ferocious buzzing of bees flitting around Amaryliss' ears but he'd seen the translucent wings flapping in slow motion: hairy bodies and barbed limbs sticking through errant strands of auburn hair. His eyes squinted into peculiar slits, alighting with fractured reflections, pupils retracting slim as a feline's claw. It was then that he noticed the injured man's final heave, an exhalation of death wheezing from his lungs, replaced by crawling insects skittering across any open orifice available to them – eyes, wide open, ears, unprotected, nose, undefended. Saliva bubbled and coated the man's lips, growing bloated from the bee's venom and transforming into sickly welts that rendered his contorted face indescribable. He could see the venom reacting in ways reserved only for those who saw things through magnified eyes, closely, unmeasurably grotesque. His stomach twisted in sailor knots, rejecting the staunch idea that Fallon was unaffected by such things. The man's entire belly twisted and gurgled and roiled like a moving landscape. Bones twisted like serpents. Muscles pulled tightly against each other, much like the shirt Lucas had been gripping – seams tearing and disconnecting in sickening clumps, like gooey streamers. The thing that emerged from the man's belly had shlepped off skin and organs alike as if he were throwing off a particularly dirty coat, it's throat imperceptibly jiggling... with what, laughter?

He'd seen it moments before it'd actually happened. The perceptible twitch of the thing's lanky arms, swaddled with crawling insects, move forward and across Lilith's exposed belly. Fallon was grounded, frozen in place. Time seemed to move at a crawl. His goddamn eyes. His eyes. Words, sentences, language ceased to function – they died on his lips, stilling his tongue, congealing the scream building at the base of his Adam's apple. He couldn't peel his words back, couldn't uncover them, or expose them to anyone else. It was nearly, almost as if he could see inside of Lilith. See the creature's probing fingers push aside innards like scattering fat worms, discovering parts of her that no one was meant to touch. That no one was supposed to be [b]able[b] to touch. Fallon could not hear Lilith screaming but he could see her mouth contorting in anguish, in anger, in a terrifying lash of agony. In these stand-still moments, unable to draw his bow, unable to throw himself forward to catch up with his impossible eye-moments, the Elf wondered if he could remember what a scream sounded like. His mother's came to mind. A sickly, pathetic rabbit's wail as it thrashed in a trap, clamped around it's foot. This scream was the only one he could connect to Lilith's open-mouthed, muted shriek. She went limp. The world tore itself back to it's original speed with Lucas rushing forward, reaching for Lilith as the thing looked at him.

Gelatin legs shivered. Shivering arms quivered like two anomalies not quite belonging to him. His body was a galactic intruder, while he stood vigilant on the sidelines. They did not belong to him, those things that did not listen when he needed them most. His fucking eyes. Fallon wanted to scrape them out with his thumbs and undo what he'd seen, so meticulously slow, so ponderously purposeful had the creature hurt Lilith. There was nothing he could've done to prevent it from happening. Still, a small, subconscious voice shook it's trembling finger at him: blaming him. She was cradled in Lucas' arms, limp noodle, unmoving. His throat unclenched. He was glad, for once, that he could not hear himself. “Ezekiel!” It was a desperate howl, a small rabbit's sound, slamming through his sternum like a fist. His mother's broken sound, trembling. As if Ezekiel could fix everything. As if, as if. “Lucas, stay with her!” Take her away, far away. Save her, save her, save her.

His breath hitched, then erupted into a bestial snarl. He wasn't going to pretend he wasn't afraid. That feeling ripped straight through his core, strangled every inch of him. Logical thought had slowly seeped from his ears, leaving him hollow and clutching his forearm blades instead of utilizing the efficiency of his bow. His companion – the snowy-haired elf, so unusually sure of herself, but now seemed so lost – had glanced in his direction to offer some guidance, or her strength, or something. But, he was already running towards him, lips twisted into a gnarled grimace, while looming trees stood as his audience, knot-eyes glaring.

He wouldn't disappoint anyone, anymore. He wouldn't.

To him, being a Redeemer had always meant sacrifice.
Ambar: Snow & Ash
"For these words, he won't come around here,
and his eyes won't see."

Yonbibuns
Member for 14 years
Author Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Snow’s ears might have twitched, just a little, at Ezekiel’s admonishments. Other then that, though, all the parasitic received from her for his trouble was a sidelong glance. Not an abomination…. Perhaps a default assumption, but not one to accept wholly without appropriate evidence. Still, the fact that this man, abductor though he might be, had endured his agony with screaming and terrified stammering rather then retaliation seemed to support the parasitic man’s conclusion. She felt the displacement of air as Amaryllis settled beside her, adding her own ministrations to Snow’s admittedly-rudimentary ones. Bandages she had, and a few materials for poultices, but she did not carry painkillers, assuming that her patients would be Redeemers and therefore long accustomed to pain, of all kinds.

If there was nothing in us that needed Redeeming, we would not be here in the first place. It was, she realized with a furrowed brow, her answer to Ezekiel’s tirade. Not an excuse, but not an apology, either. An… acknowledgement. They were flawed, she was flawed.

Snow had the uncanny feeling that there was a ‘but’ in there somewhere, though she could not quite place it.

She didn’t have much more time to ponder it, for she registered both a break in the steady stream of verbalized information she was receiving and also a strange sound. The first insect, she saw from the corner of her eye, and her left hand shot out, crushing the thing between two fingers. If anyone had been in a place to look closely, they would have noticed her nose crinkle with distaste. Unfortunately, they weren’t really, and soon enough neither was she, hissing low under her breath as one droning monstrosity after another stung at her, a dozen tiny crystallized moments of irritation and pain. Sometimes, perception hurt.

She was not suffering nearly as badly as what had once been a man, and she stood, stepping backwards out of instinct until she accidentally hit Fallon. Shaking her head, she frowned. She was not normally so clumsy or unaware. Her apology, a small courtesy of no significance, was only half-formed when it died in her throat, Snow’s eyes growing large as the sound of splitting flesh punctuated the air. Damn it all, she still couldn’t focus.

Her breath stilled when Lilith was caught up by the creature that emerged from the man, and though her eyes and mind registered every long moment with startling clarity, her body would not respond to its orders to move, to act, to do what she should do and kill it.

The manipulator’s body crashed to the ground below, and her synapses must have taken this as a cue to resume firing at last, because her swords were in her hands without delay, and she turned back over her shoulder to meet her fellow elf’s eyes. “We must-” she swallowed, unsure of how to complete the sentence. It was both obvious and elusive. Whatever it was, she realized, flexing her hands over the hilts of her blades, she could not do it alone.

Whether he'd heard her or not, Fallon was off like a stone catapaulted from a trebuchet, a sinister piece of siege weaponry designed to bring walls down around the people cowering in them. If she'd been much for metaphor, she'd have thought the comparison appropriate, but she also recognized reckless rage when she saw it, though it had been many years since she last indulged. It could not end favorably, and without so much as the hesitation of a single unsteady breath, she was on his heels.

The creature appraised Fallon with a hollowed gaze, eyes black like a beetle's and focusing in directly at him, even as Lucas scrambled beneath him to mourn the body that once was Lilith. It honed in on his every move, his smile slowly - oh so slowly - fading until it left a vacant, predatorial line on its face. Suddenly, as if drawn out of its calculative reverie, it arched its back and stretched its spine as if getting adjusted to this rotting shell it resided in. With eyes fluttering closed, it rolled its head around, as if attempting to crack his neck. The skin stretched taut and strained in certain places, seemingly about to burst. Just after it'd begun to roll its shoulders, the first pound of Fallon's boot against dirt sounded, and it'd snapped his head forward, eyes grown wide and the biggest smile seen so far spread wide to reveal the layers upon layers of "teeth" that lined its mouth, thin as needles but incredibly numerous. A single bee climbed from his mouth just as he flashed over in front of the elven warrior - so mistakenly self-assured, so preciously enraged.

He hovered in front of Fallon, much taller, but much skinnier in stature as well. He breathed on Fallon's face just as he raised up his talon and then-

Fallon’s rage outstripped Snow’s caution, and he was still a good half-dozen strides in front of her when the creature turned to them, its mouth stretched over rotting teeth in a hideous grimace that might have been the poorest caricature of a smile even she had ever seen. Setting her jaw, she chose to ignore the burgeoning sluggishness in her limbs, brought on by the insect poison, and pushed forward with renewed strength.

Her mental haze was pushed back in just enough time for her to realize several things almost in the same instant. That creature is aiming for Fallon. The attack will connect. It will most likely prove fatal. There is no one close enough to prevent this save myself. If I prevent it, I will-

In the end, the last sentence didn’t matter. It was extraneous to her reasoning in this moment, because she had acted as soon as the one before it had properly formed. With a running jump, Snow plowed forward with none of her customary grace, hip-checking the other elf and sending him off in she knew not what direction.

The hand that had been intended for her comrade closed around her throat, and Snow saw her own end with the same precise certainty that she saw everything else she didn’t truly want to. The pressure on her windpipe was feather-light compared to what such a musculature would be able to produce on demand, and already her breath came in a pitiful wheeze, her vision flecking with crimson and black about the edges as he squeezed.

She had no time to worry about the corded aubergine bruises that would be blossoming on her pale neck, for she was least of all concerned with leaving a pretty corpse. She managed to inhale in a choked gasp as her feet left the solidity of the ground beneath, kicking uselessly into empty air. She would have clawed at the hand holding her throat, but she knew with clinical certainty that it would make no difference. She had managed to retain hold of both swords, though her grip was already loosening.

Glaring at the creature with baleful agony, she squirmed as it brought her closer to its face, close enough to smell the rot from its breath. Had she the ability, she would have gagged, but there was not nearly enough room for such action, not with the crushing pressure only increasing. Gritting her teeth, she drove Sunshine into the creature’s arm with less force than she would have liked. Still, the skin parted, but bone stopped the advance of the sharpened blade. Where she would have expected blood to well up from the wound, there was nothing, not even dust and ash. What is-? Abominations bleed. Conclusion: this could not be an ordinary abomination.

What it was probably shouldn’t matter. It was the thing that was killing her, and she dropped the ruby-hilted sword, to the ground below where it landed with a muffled thud, shifting her grip to grasp the sapphire one in both hands. Have to… Her thoughts couldn’t complete, and she resigned herself to acting from complete instinct when the strangest thing happened: the towering thing brought her closer, inhaling deeply, that sick grimace only stretching wider, and then she felt its grip loosen.

Snow sucked in a sharp breath, flooded with dizziness. A few of the blotches faded from her clouded vision, and were she more sentimental- no. Sentiment had nothing to do with it. She simply wished they had not, for in the next moment, its other hand ran down her face, the rot-dampened flesh moving slowly from her temple to her chin. It was such a simple thing, and there was no way it could have known, no way that this thing could have ripped that gesture, so soft as to be tender, from her most painful nightmares.

For a moment, only a moment, she was not dying, she was not struggling, and that hand belonged to no insect-riddled corpse. The itching behind her eyes heralded the buildup of moisture, and her fading consciousness presented her with an image so different, so perfect, and so utterly unfair that the ugly saline water slid down and over her cheekbones and it was all she could do not to scream.

Sabin… but it wasn’t him, it wasn’t, and it never would be. She was fully prepared to breathe her last shoving her beloved’s blade into this thing’s heart, because she had done it for the right reasons, but even as her resolve reasserted itself, the creature’s mouth fit over hers, and she had just enough air left in her lungs to gasp.

It was perhaps the worst decision she’d ever made, and in a life wrought with rather poor choices, she couldn’t help but think that said something. Snow truly did gag as something entered her mouth along with the taste of festering flesh, diving down her gullet with an agonizing sensation. She dimly registered that it was more of those insects, suffocating her and moving around inside her body, and she renewed her desperate struggle, to no avail. Choking, she forced her mind to engage one last time and took the single opportunity available to her.

With both weakened hands, she reached up, driving Tempest home in the only area still soft enough for her depleted strength to breach- his right eye. The hand around her neck loosened and dropped her entirely, but she was unaware of anything it might have screeched or laughed or done, unaware of the sensation of hitting the ground, splayed out on her back, unaware even of a few insects vacating her windpipe through her mouth and nose, leaving torn-up, bleeding trails in their wake.

In fact, Snow was aware of nothing at all, because for perhaps the first time in her existence, her mind- her one great gift, her sole redeeming feature, her only comfort and solace in a world that had long since shredded her heart and blackened her soul- was completely still.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Baby on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 am

Hellreigel

"Hey,FUCKER! How 'bout we see how much of a bargain you'd fetch after I rip off those hands of yours, hey!?"

“Or, Lucas could just angrily barge in. That also works.” Manon sighed, rolling her eyes while rising from the floor. Manon raised her arms to cross over her breasts, thinking of her actions and Lucas’s. Who made the better decision? Could Nica be seriously injured? If so, would waiting for orders be toying with Nica’s life? In another scenario the man could threaten Nica’s life if they were to show aggression. Would it matter so much if she was injured, if death would be assured by the man who was closer to her? This was a learning moment, and Manon kept her eyes open and her mouth shut. How this situation plays out will teach Manon if her withholding was patience or hesitation.

As if on cue of her thoughts ending, Manon caught sight of Lilith moving towards the man. Manon noticed Lilith had self confidence, her strut was evidence enough. Was Lilith also confident in her decisions? Manon feared that she was indeed hesitant; everyone was making a move but her. And was she not their tank? Wasn’t she built for the front lines? So why was someone as delicate as Lilith going before her?

Yet, Manon remained still. She watched Lilith move and speak with assurance. She took control of the situation, and didn’t seem to be guided by anger, as Lucas was. A silver flash and the man was down on the ground, screaming in pain. Manon’s red and now fully awake eyes widened by the sight. “Ok, delicate is not the word for Lilith.”

Something was making Manon feel uneasy, for some reason, she wanted to touch Lilith. Just walk up to
her and grab her. “Is now the appropriate time for a hug?” The demon inside of Manon mocked, making Manon shiver. “Definitely not. She’d try to kill me.” Manon mused in her head. She took a second to wonder how high Lilith would have to jump to aim for Manon’s vitals.

When Manon looked on,her stomach churned when she saw Lilith dig her heel into the man’s wounds. Who is this predator in disguise? Could Manon ever be as harsh as Lilith? Manon assumed she could not bring herself to torture someone. Kill them yes (and she would always make it swift), but torture was different. That required a hardening of the soul Manon had not yet acquired.

“Lilith... you need to stop...” Manon’s voice slipped from her. Could she really speak out against this? Was Manon's strength only physical?

Diverting her focus from herself, Manon tried to understand the situation better. She knew the man was being interrogated but her hearing wasn’t accurate from the distance. So she took a few steps with Fallon, cautiously and having her back to him, in case something did happen, the smaller man would have cover.

Taking a guess, Manon assumed the man did not say anything Lilith or Fallon wanted to hear. Her elven friend spoke with a cold impatience. "Useless information, there's abominations' everywhere. Perhaps, he'd be more specific if he did lose
a limb." Manon gasped, “Et tu Fallon?” she said in a whisper. Manon told herself she would get better acquainted with her peers later on, she needed to know more of what the redeemers stood for, and what they were capable of doing. Manon got a sinking feeling that she got more than what she bargained for when she joined this organization.

Snow, the painted elf came with a small hint of annoyance in her eyes. Was she disappointed in her allies as well? Did she come to help or add salt to the man's wounds? Manon had a sense of relief when Snow began to tend to the man’s wounds but Manon herself turned her back to the scene. She wanted to sit in some shade and let the others take care of the situation. Manon did not have the courage to control their actions, nor was she in any position to, as her rank was the lowest of them all, 56. “For someone as big as you, you’d think you would have the heart of a lion.” Manon’s left eye twitched at that comment but for now, she said nothing. On her walk to shade, she fell a tree with a swift punch for a quick release of anger. She made a seat of the stump and crushed it into many pieces with her weight. A little embarrassed, Manon blushed, but stayed seated on the floor. “Smooth big girl.”

Manon watched as the scene continued to develop, Ezekiel joining first, speaking with such power that Manon’s elephant heart was ready to burst in approval. "Bullying a fellow man over trivialities. Before us is no abomination." Manon’s toes curled. She laid flat on her stomach, propping her head up with her hands holding the undersides of her chin. Had Manon ignored this much older man before? Did he always ooze this dominant aura about him?

"I apologize for these..." A pause in his speech, was it the eye of the storm? Would he unleash his fury? "For my comrades. They lack restraint." Manon pouted, she had restraint! She was patient! Not hesitant, but patient. A quick reminder to herself that she wasn’t part of the group that showed aggression, and Manon could breathe a sigh of relief. Manon kept listening to this dark man, like an actor in a play. A small part of her wanted to be scolded by him. Have her apologize and hear him say “I forgive you Manon.” But that was deep in Manon’s unconscious mind, and would never surface on its own.

"He stays alive. Intact. And, he stays with us. Am I understood?" Manon nodded her head yes and exhaled slowly. His two minute speech was a harrowing monologue to Manon, and she liked the chill from her spine. “Bravo.” Manon smiled, making a small applause with her large hands.

Amaryliss took the stage now, and Manon drowned out her not-so-masculine voice with her thoughts. Manon was so sure Ezekiel was a Scorpio. She had to confirm the redeemer’s birthdays. She made a small wager that Lilith was an Aries, and Fallon a Capricorn. Would Amaryllis be a Cancer? Or a Taurus? Manon gasped as an evil thought popped into her head. What if she was wrong about all of their signs?

Manon snapped out of it when the atmosphere changed. Her train of thought halted and she came to hear a malicious giggle in the thin air. She stood to her feet and decided to pay attention now. Only children daydreamed during important matters. “And I am no child.” Manon said to herself. She blinked when she stared down at the floor, “Oh my God. That’s not OK!” Manon cried, staring at the bee covered man on the floor. What in the hell happened when she daydreamed?

What happened next was even worse, something came out of that shell of a man, and it looked damn near human in form. Manon blinked and the figure was behind Lilith, its arm easily lodged into her abdomen. Manon’s mouth flew open as she watched the scene, too shocked to move. How fast was this creature? More importantly, could Lilith be healed? If only Manon’s thick legs would move! She would save that little woman! When Lilith's body went limp, Manon screamed in fury. Why the fuck couldn’t she just move? What was this paralysis?

Whatever it was, Fallon wasn’t struck with it. His slender body moved faster than Manon’s ever could and it was all so damned fast. She saw Snow push Fallon away with her hip, being taken by the creature as a replacement. Snow was as beautiful inside as she was outside; she sacrificed herself for her elven friend, knowing what happened to Lilith. And Manon would be damned if her paralysis thought it was stronger than that act of courage Snow displayed. She was too slow to get there in time, and Snow collapsed on the floor long before Manon got close enough to save her, but it didn’t stop her now.

With her heavy legs making a tremble in the ground, Manon charged to the creature, ready to show them all, their tank was no coward. Their tank was a Hellreigel, from the first house. Letting out an angry roar Manon effortlessly took out Hell, 70 pounds of ogre bones, formed into a formidable war hammer. “Dodge this you little freak!” Manon raised her left arm high and brought it crashing down with unrestrained force, she didn’t savor battle, she always aimed to take her enemies out in one blow.

Manon's blow had pummeled into his right shoulder, and it completely dropped from its hinge, dislocated on the spot as flesh crumpled like porridge. The limb dropped two feet, skin began tearing at the seams, his body jerking along with the heavy blow. The man - the thing, rather - tilted his head away from the warrior in front of him, almost as if to steady himself while the massive hammer continued in its path, denting into his rib. When the weapon tore away his damp skin was taken with it- clinging like trampled toilet paper on the bottom of a wet shoe. The ripping revealed the horrible sludge underneath, a sickly, sticky brown muck - everything about it reading quite dead, like his entire being was decomposition. His face, though not visible to all members of the party, read as blank, slack. It seemed like he might have actually been wounded so fatally that he would just die right then and there.

Suddenly, his eyes flicked over, a surprised but appreciative smile spreading his face as he scruntinzed the woman before him, as if it'd been the first time he'd actually seen her. It seemed as if he'd finally recognized the challenge the troupe could provide, and was quite shocked by this realization. As quickly as he'd appeared, he was gone again, vanishing completely before reappearing 15 feet feet away. There, hovering just about the ground, he swayed with the wind, his dislocated arm swinging just a little more as it dangled, his fingertips brushing his ankles.

"Oh, but I'm not the one getting frea-ky," he spoke softly as if speaking a child to sleep, tilting his head with the last word, enunciating each syllable with an unsettling distinction. This had been the first time he'd proven himself capable of comprehending speech to the group - the first time he'd felt the urge to, really. "Tired children," he condescended, glassy eyes roaming over their troupe.

Manon snarled, her face flushed completely from running with her weight. She remembered that she was still hungry and her stamina was at an all time low. But something told Manon that it wasn't her hunger that caused her to miss the creature's head, it was either her inaccuracy or his speed. She pulled her hammer away, his pale, sticky skin sticking to it and fueling the fire that was Manon's temper. She would have to personally clean this creature from her treasured possession? This little fuck! Battle always got Manon pumped, but add in exhaustion and anger, Manon became downright irritable. Nothing would get through her now, even the boom of Ezekiel's voice couldn't command the animal that was Manon.

Manon screamed in irritation when the creature disappeared from her sight. A stream of curses flew from her mouth as she tiredly turned to find him. Manon couldn't find him when she made a full 360 and trying to move her body was becoming more and more of a burden. She heard him speak but decided to catch her breath instead of fully paying attention. She think he called her a freak in retaliation, but Manon wasn't sure. Pressing one hand against her knee and another holding the handle of Hell, Manon kneeled, gusts of wind leaving and filling her lungs.

At the sight of her heaving, exhausted pause, the twinkle in his eye retracted back to reveal a dull disappointment. "Don't prove to a bore, now." he tutted with a ghostly sigh. With his toy time apparently over, he vanished once more- this time his absence much more prolonged. No one could see him, but you could feel an energy growing and growing, sparking in the atmosphere around them.

Suddenly, a single breath exhaled against the warrior's tan neck yet no body was there to account for it. An indentation appeared on her shoulder, moving along as fingers traced the flesh. Slowly, the digits materialized into vision as they slipped along her collarbone, its hand and arm coming into view shortly after. His other appendage did the same on her torso, slipping up her stomach.

Suddenly, the two arms rebelled against the disgustingly slow pace they moved and they both grabbed either of her breasts, a floating, self satisfied chuckle trailing from behind her at his little joke. The assault didn't last long, as his hands plunged into the skin, disappearing inside her chest. He grabbed hold of either of her lungs and constricted tightly around, pressure getting graver and graver as the mere seconds passed. If he cared to, he could have popped them right then and there, but instead he prolonged the suffering- milked the horror from her comrades.

It was all just a game.

Manon shivered at the breath on her neck, she hated how close he was to her. She soon felt a hand pressing against her shoulder, violating her with it's uninvited touch. Manon shook her body, flinging left and right, trying to get her assaulter away from her .She would bathe for sure after she killed him, cleanse her body of his filth and make silent prayers that no one would ever touch her this way again. She felt another hand trace over her stomach, making her suck it in to try and get away.

She felt two hands grasp her breasts and Manon's face practically glowed from the blush that spread over her face. "HOW DARE YOU! HOW DARE YOU TOUCH A HELLREIGEL THIS WAY! MY FATHER WILL HAVE YOUR HEAD YOU FUCK!" Manon's voice cracked in her scream as she tried to claw through the hands that clenched her sensitive breasts. Completely forgetting her father was dead, Manon used him as an empty threat, she was scared and would try all the tricks to get him to just stop. This was torture to Manon. Not cutting her tendons, not stepping on her wounds, but this.

Manon cried when she felt the creature grab ahold of her lungs. The tears were of relief and pain; this physical pain was bearable. It was killing her and forcing tears from her dulling eyes, but it was bearable. He wasn't violating her anymore and she was so fucking grateful for it. With a final sigh, Manon closed her watery eyes and fell, denting the soft ground below her.

Baby
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Averagebear on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 pm

As one, two, three bodies now lay still, he sighed, gingerly letting his thin fingers to pat at his right eye which, he realized with disdain, still had Snow's blade wedged inside. He slid the weapon out, terrible wet sounds accompanying its unsheathing from his socket, and let it clang to the floor with disinterest. Chunks of his eye splattered down near it like bits of black gelatin. His lids sagged partially down atop his wound, leaving a sliver of his dark irises showing.

He glanced back down at the Asian woman laying on the floor and hummed, a wistful longing reading on his face like he was wishing he hadn't had offed her first. He approached Lilith as if no one else was around, not even acknowledging the still fuming, still horrified Redeemers that still stood as he kicked at the dirt around her, stirring up a cloud like a child unsure of what to do. He crouched down, the arm that'd been smashed out folding in terrible angles by his side while the other prodded at her full cheeks. In one sweeping motion, he'd gathered up her limp body in his grasp with only one of his still functioning arms, the other swinging hapharzardly around them, and draped her incredibly thin arms around his pestilent ridden shoulder. With her in his arms, head lolling around and thin legs dangling, he began to do something akin to a waltz. A haunting tune trickled from his mouth, supplying the music for his little dance.

The others were being so dull.

Averagebear
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yonbibuns on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm

To him, sacrifice meant throwing his survivability, albeit stubbornly, out the window and procuring a nonchalance when facing death. There was nothing wrong with it. He believed it was as pure and unmarred by crude corners as a polished stone. Still, Fallon was aware of its flaws, and had been for far longer then he'll admit—to his friends, to his shaky sense of duty, especially to himself. It was the internal act of ripping yourself asunder, ploughing out the essential pieces to throw into the roaring fire so that it wouldn't spread to the things you cared about. To him, it made sense. Being angry was usually one of the simplest things he did. It fueled his maddening speed, whipped him forward like a heavy cannonball in spite of the poison sluggishly nipping at his heels, at his knees, at his throbbing joints. It was a fuel that he'd relied on so many times to keep himself moving when he would've rather lied down and let fate happen. Still, it felt as if Fallon ran through a pool of molasses, wrenching at his clothes like persistent children who felt it was best if he not go through with this fool endeavor. If he'd simply veered off in the opposite direction, backtracked and discussed hasty stratagems with Snow on how to deal with such an abomination: how tempting that was.

Coarse, unprepared energy pulsed through his forearm blades, straight through his flesh, his fingers, twining through his fear like strands of genetic code: completely his. It was warm and comforting and felt apologetic. He modulated his breath accordingly, though it still felt laboured. What was he willing to do to end this? Who was he willing to protect, with everything, with his entire being? Them. It had always been them. They'd opened something up within him, pulled out all of the rusty cogs and replaced them with working parts – they'd salvaged him, essentially. With these feelings, the ones he did not know how to sort: they would burn inside—burn and burn and burn until he finally acted in a foolishly reckless way to redeem himself. Isn't that what being a Redeemer had always meant: redemption. Puzzling back the pieces that you'd lost along the way. His knuckles were white from tension, balled up tightly, readying himself for the impact. It's odd the way you remember things when faced with such adversity, such danger, such life-ending situations – he remembered, vaguely, the feeling of his mother's fingers plucking errant knots from his hair until it was tangle-free. These were his thoughts alone when the creature, that disgusting thing, appeared in front of him with impossible, discerning speed. A speed he could not match even if he tried. It'd been a brilliant flash, a mesmeric movement of atoms and particles. His goddamn eyes could keep track of him but his limbs, his useless limbs were seconds behind.

He hadn't known Snow was dogging his heels, a mere breath away from him. Hadn't felt her presence, at all, so intent on his target, so intent on bringing up his flashing blades. Because if he didn't do it now he wouldn't be able to do it later. His strength was seeping through a sieve, speckled like sand. The creature's face stretched at impossible lengths, displaying an array of needle-point teeth and two circular mirrors that reflected his scrunched, angry features. It's smile threatened to unman him, threatened to drop him to his knees and send him covering into himself – this was not right, this could not be real. His assurance, in those eyes, looked like carelessly cultivated anger balled and folded and moulded into something unnameable. The creature's skinny bag of bones loomed over him, much like the trees that leaned inwards, and in that instance, Fallon understood something. Being a Redeemer meant allowing others, your companions, to piece you back together again.

He was going to die.

The creature's twisted talons swiped through the air and suddenly, so abruptly, Fallon was falling through the air and tumbling sideways, automatically throwing out his arms to cushion his fall. His forearm blade imbedded itself into the ground upon landing, crushing the remainder of his body in an awkward sweep of flailing limbs. The whole earth breathed inside him, spinning in maddening circles. His collarbone was soaked with something sticky, something beautiful. A blossoming of colour surrounding a heaving hump of bone twisting under the surface, ready to push itself through the skin with any unwarranted, unnecessary movements. Smashed up limbs. His arm had been trapped with his blade, strapped tight with leathers and buckles, while his body plunged forward. Possibly broken or fractured. His arm hadn't bunched an inch, stuck in the earth with his once-thrumming blade, while Fallon balanced himself precariously on one elbow. This was not what held his attention. This was not what he stared at. A hawk-eyed boy watched a snowy-haired girl, helplessly prostate.

He felt the pull of despair across his spine, which arched forward and then, back down. Why had she done that, so willingly? How hadn't he noticed her following him. There was a fissure forming somewhere, somewhere deep in his chest cavity where his ribcage collapsed and no longer held the organ that beat erratically. Instead, Fallon felt it swollen in his throat, thumping in his eardrums, trying to squeeze itself back into place next to his wheezing lungs and inner linings. He could taste copper coins. He could smell something burning. It might've been all in his head – and by the Gods, he wished this was, too. “No!” The hitched, ragged sob whipped through him, rearing it's ugly head as his fingernails scraped through dirt to find better purchase. He was tethered, chained: a gargoyle statue. The thing's elegant fingers closed around Snow's thin neck and drew her forward, off the ground, to dangle in front of him as if she were merely a toy it was examining. It squeezed, imploringly. The small trembling inches of her fingers, so desperately fighting to keep anchorage on her blades, vibrated like tremors in Fallon's eyes. Unfolding bruises of purple and blue and soft pastels painted, so excruciatingly slow, across the expanse of her neck, thrumming with an erratic pulse, thrumming with a failing life force that stubbornly held on. “No. No.

Overcast skinned and arctic lipped, Snow' drove her blade, Sunshine, through the creature's extended arm. The one that had been drawing her closer and closer to it's gaping maw, teeth glinting like sewing needles ready to pierce through silken fabric. Nothing appeared. No sluggish spurts of blood. No remnants of ash drifting on the wind. Nothing at all. His somber eyes begged for it to release her, begged for it to recede back into the woods so they could gather themselves up, brush off the dust, and roll their shoulders as they always did when facing something especially tragic and grotesque. Sirens of muted airwaves assaulted his rattled senses. A certain foreboding crackled and petrified him. He ceased tugging on his restraints, that fucking blade. The creature's fingers fleetingly, almost gently, brushed across Snow's face and breathed past a mountain of teeth: did not move to kill her. She was crying. Crystalline moisture sliding from her cheekbones, much like the rain he watched pattering off the leaves. “Snow—” He mewled, barely audible, prone-bellied, until the creature's disgusting mouth pressed to hers. Fallon's fingers gripped the burrowed swords' glistening edge and seized it in his palm, pulling and slipping and screaming: “Snow! Snow!

Had it been Tempest's brutal blow that had loosened the creature's grip on her? Perhaps, it'd merely been a shocking surprise at the last trickling remains of her strength. Like a ball-jointed marionette, Snow collapsed across the creature's feet, skewed and splayed and unmoving. She was all water colour paints and mysterious trails of borderlines pooling from her lips, from her nose. Fallon had initially intended to depart elegantly-wasted but she'd taken his place without question, without allowing him to ask her why, why why. In all things unfair, this was the worst. His back arched forward, wet hands slick.

No.

This is what Amaryliss had meant when she spoke of forming friendships, about melting and folding yourself over and over again: forging a smooth-edged blade. Of relying on others so completely that you'd forget about yourself – when your life no longer mattered unless they continued living. The hollow, echoing despair panging in his chest like a crowded room growing smaller and smaller. It reminded him of his brother's rumpled body, a mass of folded blankets. It reminded him of his mother's rabbit cries. It reminded him of loss. Oddly enough, he remembered Lucas' endless teasing, Ezekiel's disappointed eye clicks, Amaryliss' encouraging smile. He remembered Snow slipping by his side, quietly enlisting her aid while he struggled to write and Lilith's wry smile, her proffered flask. He'd perceived Manon's shyness even if she hadn't admitted to it. He remembered this as he watched her slump to the ground, brutalized by the creature's probing fingers. This bruising despair. Fallon never wanted to feel it again.
Last edited by Yonbibuns on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yonbibuns
Member for 14 years
Author Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wudgeous on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 pm

"Shut up, I know!" He retorted when Fallon hollered a command his way--maybe it was a friendly suggestion, but Lucas wasn't inclined to take it as such. What he wanted to do was fight, because in its death, the bees should disperse, no one will fall over anymore, and then it will all be better... But as he watched his companions tumble one after another, a hopelessness came over him. He made no show of hiding it. Who would he hide from? One could see it in his irregular breathing, his hasty blinks. Although having both the Lovers helped him feel more balanced--more complete somehow than when he was in the cave, what was he to do? He didn't even cry out for Snow, for Manon. His voice was imprisoned in his chest, unworthy. He wanted to shut his eyes and pretend this wasn't happening--or better yet, join them face down on the ground so that he wouldn't have to watch anymore of this evil charade.

Stay with her...

He inhaled sharply at the creature's approach. It had spoken, with decent grammar actually, implying at least a menial level of intellect. "Hey," Lucas said tentatively to it, grimacing lightly as he took in its decaying skin, and the bits of flesh that flopped so. How was the bastard not limping? Maybe he said it too quietly, for the abomination floated past him, in a way that disturbingly reminded him of Snow. Lucas was sure he'd lost the entire left side of his ribcage by this point. He swallowed in spite of his parched mouth, and tried again to deter its pace. "Hey, uh."

The abomination wasn't listening. It took him a moment too long of watching with a crumpled forehead, for what it did next was almost as alarming as each its inventive methods of downing his companions. It picked up Lilith's unconscious body, and sashayed about with her. Eerie merrymaking in the midst of blood, like a ghost's song in a graveyard. It could have been called "expected" should one be able to distance oneself from the carnage--look at the bigger picture. Lucas was no such person. "HEY!" He was worried at first--she'd already lost so much blood--and only became increasingly horrified by the moment. "No, no--stop that!"

The being's song halted the same time its dancing did, dying down to scrutinize at Lucas with only half-interest. "Hmmm?" he crooned, resting his hand on the terrible wound that continually drained on the woman's back. She was not but a pale ghost now, all the color having bled out, it seemed, nothing but a mockery of the prideful creature she once was. Her red was smudged across his chest now, coloring his pale flesh with inky smears.

He cocked his head and after some thought, added a simple, "Why?"

"Wh, Why?" he blurted, taken aback, "Because--" And what the hell was he doing!? Talking to an abomination! This will propel him to the top of the ranks, he's sure! He... was dealing with something new. Maybe it was about time to try something new. Lips forming a thin line, Lucas held his arms at his sides; and he dropped Lilith's swords with a clatter. He was going to try a different approach. He knew his comrades wouldn't like it, or even outright disapprove of the ploy; but if there was a slight chance of turning this around, just by turning his perspective on the situation-- "Because I would like it very much if you put her down. Please." Nothing was more reliable than honest sincerity, and so that was what he scrounged up. Not without effort, mind. He was talking to a new breed of the darkseed that did... he-didn't-even-know-what to the others. A plea for Lilith's safety would likely invoke some perverse opposite-reaction for the sake of malice, but reverse psychology didn't seem like it would work here, either. Since he had more time to mull it over, he thought to attempt to appeal to it, as well: "Look, you're better than the average abomination, aren't you? Smarter?"

The being was becoming increasingly more annoyed as the human before him sputtered and stammered, tripping over a response. This one lacked the same... fortitude as his counterparts. At his final reply, the thing was entirely unimpressed, looking at him with a disatisfaction while he ran cold fingers through Lilith's tangled hair, soaked in blood, leaving his fingers stained as he stroked. Then Lucas had resorted to flattery and, suddenly, something changed behind his eyes, like a wick bursting into a steady flame. It was time to play. "Am I?" it mused casually to the question, letting Lilith jerk from his grasp just after he's spoken the words. "What does this thing mean to you?" he pondered quietly, like the concept itself was fascinatingly quaint. It seemed she would fall helplessly with another terrible crunch, but as quickly as he'd dropped her, he'd reached out and snatched her by one of her fingers. The digit immeidately yanked out of place, and her body was suspended by by the skin that refused to rip. His needle-like teeth revealed themselves once more as he watched her, head slack and laying against her bony collarbone, breaking at the seams. He darted his attention back to Lucas. "I will humor you..." he began, another bee crawling from his mouth. He didn't seem to notice, closing his jaws and impailing the insect before he spoke again, "But I grow weary. I am not an abomination, boy." he said, spitting the word as if it demeaned him. As if to press the point further, he swung Lilith like a pendulum, blood now racing down her scrawny thighs, diverging in between her toes, and pooling below them. "I am Morbus."

'Thing?' Maybe it was working on some convoluted train of logic where redeemers were the genderless monstrosities. Can't be more far-fetched than what was going on right now. However, Lucas lost track of his breath when Lilith nearly plummeted again, jerking forward in vain. As if he could break her two inch fall from this distance. Attempting to stave off desperation, he clasped his now-empty hands before his mouth. "Right--Right. Hi." he mumbled before he could stop himself. It was, perhaps, the first time it was really registering that he was conversing with something he probably really, really shouldn't be trying to reason with. Everything in his Redeemer training told him this was impossible, that he was dreaming up one fucked up fantasy. There was no way to go but forward. Biting his tongue, he promised himself that he would not sound desperate. "So you're not... mad at us for the mess in the cave back there."

Morbus paused for a second before laughter overcame him. It was a terrible sound, his voice nauseatingly high and grating, and each staccato sound pierced through the panting and woeful moans in the clearing. His dislocated arm writhed and raised as he fluttered it over his concave gut while the breathy chortles streamed out. He tilted his head back and howled his laughter to the twilight sky, his cackling meeting the gold and crimson colors the picture bathed in. Eventually, he doubled over, purely delighted by the positively absurd notion that he- he- was upset about those useless oafs. Lilith bobbed within his grasp with each of his heaving, gleeful sounds, fading into twitters and moans of pleasure. Finally, he raised his head to look back at Lucas. "Do I appear angry?" he mewed, the skin where a brow might've been raising and crinkling underneath itself. He looked at Lucas as if he were the stupidest fucking thing his grim eyes had ever laid upon, before he'd deemed him unworthy of his time- unworthy of the torment he'd gifted the others with. His eyes flicked over to connect to Fallon once more, hungrily devouring his crumpled form. He slowly began to even hover in his direction, though only just a tad, drinking in the sight of him.

He tensed, and when it emitted that noise, Lucas only tensed further. Laughter was meant to set one at ease, infect others like a virus. Lucas hated the idea of a chorus that would sound like that, though.

Lucas cast his sights over his shoulder frantically when the creature's attention drifted, eyelids flying apart like curtains during a monsoon as he yelled "No, wait!" Immediately, regret clawed at him--a fishing hook in each thumb. He felt like pounding his stupid empty skull against the nearest stone wall. The senser bit his lip hard enough he was damned sure that he must have begun bleeding. A bee's sting to the spine made him flinch, and didn't help him concentrate. That was all he needed. Concentration. He could fix this... "No," he repeated, hating how his voice was breaking. He couldn't let this happen, couldn't let it start focusing on Fallon again, not after--Lucas stopped himself, inhaling shakily. Concentrate. "I'm--... Morbus, what do you want?!"

He couldn't prevent the insolent tone from creeping into his voice, or the splaying of his fingers as he thrust his hands downwards. He was losing his temper. He was losing.

There was a pregnant silence that clung thickly to the air before it snapped under the weight of Morbus' growing sense of glee. "Oh, so you do like games!" he absolutely crowed in thrilled suprise. The reaction began instantaneously, like the mixing of volatile chemicals. His hand grabbed for one of Lilith's slender wrists, each of his grotesquely long fingers wrapping nearly twice around her bones. He pulled his entire right side back, like a pitcher or a boxer ready to end the game, and he released Lilith with such force that her limbs splayed out and tangled with each other as she flew through the air. "Now fetch!" The lifeless ragdoll was hurled at Lucas and hit him square in the chest, crushing his instinctively outstretched arms with such a tremendous force that the two of them tumbled unelegantly to the ground with a wet sound. The ground was not normally so sodden there, yet the blood had made it slick. Was she even breathing anymore? Was there any warmth left in her limbs? The two foals plummetted like strange comets with long awkward limbs, crashing into the earth. Lilith's mouth pressed agape against Lucas' neck, her face burrowing at a strange angle, like a scared child into the neck of their guardian. Yet there was no warmth to be found in her chapped lips as they brushed against his hot skin, hues of purple dabbling where playful, flushed smiles should have been. The kiss of a corpse.

Wudgeous
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smith on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:25 am

Greyais Be'Ureven

Name: Greyais Be'Ureven
Item request: A whetstone and salt
Specificalities: Is that even a real fucking word?

”Here, go nuts.” Grey uneasily handed the card to Ama and trudged back. He was slightly embarrassed by his markedly crude handwriting. Soldiers rarely needed to write more than their own names, and reading was a different matter entirely. Grey remained distant for what little time remained between their walk to camp.

A constant buzz thrummed at that back of his skull, and his teeth itched. Grey imagined this was what addicts must feel like when dealing with withdrawal. That was what happened, he supposed, when he was bored. Ever since adolescence, Greyais had found anything that didn't involve bruising, biting, adrenaline, or rutting to be an exercise in mind-numbing futility on his part. Born and raised to be an obedient dog of war, it was not surprising that...well, he was your run of the mill attack dog. Food, fighting, and fucking. The three f's of his existence. Well, two. To his utter dismay, the swarthy redeemer hadn't bedded anyone since his induction.

Apparently, even other redeemers are repulsed by one another. Although...he glanced at Cinnamon, laying just outside of the fire's warmth. She had a cavalier enough attitude...Grey wouldn't have put it past her to use sex as nothing more than a means of relieving stress, or more likely, as a weapon. She may not have been the most attractive of those present, but she definitely had the raunchy gait of a woman who knew how to use what she had. Unlike Snow and Amarilli...Amaroni...the creepy one. Grey's one-track mind quickly shifted to how much he disliked that woman.

“Good morning!” Grey was popping his knuckles when that flitty little chit decided to start yapping. There had been too much to think about during the night to sleep, so Grey contented himself with contemplation and wondering why Nica was still awake. Strange lass. Not so politely declining Amamola's offer for food, Grey stretched and worked out the kinks gathered from sitting in one spot all night. ”We leaving yet, or what?”

”Shiiit...” the word dragged low and harsh under his breath as he caught sigt of the pampered little thing balling her eyes out. Grey had always had a thing for highborn ladies, most likely because he could never have one. At least until he fell in love with Aura. She was worth any ten of those air-headed, pompous, self-righteous flouts. Of course, when she'd ripped his heart out and thrown it on the ground, that lust for ladies in powdered wigs and poofy skirts returned with a vengeance. As it was, the poor thing was more interested in dampening Snow's shoulder. Grey simply went along with it, taking everything in stride as Amaryliss decked down the situation.

Nica's laugh was pleasant enough. Grey could not fathom why he sensed a sudden thickness in the air about his fellow redeemers. He shrugged. It was probably just nerves.

He was itching to tear in to something, anything. Rend flesh with his bare claws. Claws? Why had he thought claws...hands. Grey wanted to hear the wear parchment sound of ripping flesh and bask in the sickening warmth of black blood spewing from freshly burst arterial tracks. Yet, he thought sullenly, the abominations did not appeal to him in the slightest. The dark redeemer found himself standing stark still as the others engaged the horrendous wretches in battle. Oddly enough, none of them paid him any real heed.

His eyes traced the movements of the other redeemers, flicking across the confined field of battle and taking in more than their dull depths would suggest. Each and every clumsy, brutish swing of the abominations natural weapons caused an inner surge of loathing to ooze from Grey's chest. So wasteful. Images of himself matching Lilith's dance step for step, ringing blades clanging against one another as they maneuvered across the uneven ground. The scarred manipulator was stunned with a twinge of shock when his neck snapped forward, stretching to cover the space between them in an instant. He growled over the wet choking sounds that Lilith made as he ground his fangs deeper in to the soft flesh of her throat.

The image disappeared as abruptly as it had come. That was strange, Grey thought. But, he shrugged, it would not be too far off. From what he could tell, at short range, he was the fastest redeemer there was.

As his reverie faded in to an eerie memory, Greyais moved to follow the others. They cleaned up the infestation rather well.

When they came upon the slaver, pedophile, or whatever creep this crusty man was, Grey could not help but agree with Manon. Although it was not the best way to go about things, Grey was too incensed by human trash like this. These people were no better than abominations, ruining lives in their own wretched ways. A sudden twinge told him otherwise, however, and he felt righteous anger dimmed. It just wasn't worth it. He allowed Cinnamon and Zeke to do her thing, and soon enough they were on their way again.

Ezekiel's admonishments fell on deaf ears as Grey scratched the scruff of his meager beard. He was bored again, deathly so, and was beginning to regret not taking part in the slaughter. The scream drew the daydreaming redeemer's attention. Cinnamon was...down? That came as something of a shock, given the tenacity the woman displayed in everything she did.

Over the course of ten heartbeats, Snow was reduced to a quivering mass on the floor, as Lucas was shaking and tearing up over Cinnamon. Manon hit the ground with a loud thump, and even then, Grey could not bring himself to move. He was too busy discussing.

This is it, isn't it. I can go now? Because i'll be fuckin' honest, it looks like they're getting their asses beat.

Whatever internal voice Greyais thought he was speaking with heaved a long sigh, and he thought he could hear traces of amusement in the breathy sound. No response was forthcoming, nothing verbal, anyway, but Grey could feel it: it was waving in dismissal. It was time to go.

Innovation is the heartbeat of mankind. Without it, the lifeblood of man would stagnate and curdle.

Supposedly a quote from a scholar that overheard one demigod or another. It was likely complete bullshit, but Grey liked the expression none the less. Creativity and ingenuity were Grey's bread and butter when it came to combat, and that sentiment only strengthened in his transition to a demoni-blooded freak. Without his strange brand of cunning, he would have been crushed by that mammoth Deus some time ago. He would have succumbed to a press of demoni in the Barathi catacombs to the south. He would have died several times over.

As it was, unlike the others, Greyais was covered in a small swarm of bees. Not swarmed by, but covered. The venomous little creatures did not leave his skin, but thrashed and stung there in buzzing anger. Or rather, the could not leave his skin. Upon closer inspection, it became apparent that the bees were impale by tiny, hardened spikes of Grey's skin, hovering just out of stinging distance of his flesh. With slight shiver, the manipulator's skin rippled and shifted. Bees torn in three pieces each fell from Grey in a grotesque shower of insect vitae.

The manipulator began to guffaw as the tiny insect parts rolled off of his spindly frame and battered cloak. That was pathetic, he thought happily. But...that thing's "pathetic" could have poisoned him and brought him to his knees, had he not skewered the little carriers. Now, it was time to have some fun. The itching was gone, as were the jitters. For the first time in hours, Grey was feeling rather calm. Lilith's tossed carcass and Fallon's selfish mewling were distant scenes as Grey advanced on this Morbus. He stopped when ten paces separated him from the...thing. Grey inclined his head in mock challenge, allowing his whip to fall slack.

"I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting." Greyais wanted to say more, but the painful surge of adrenaline in his chest urged him on. Morbus dismantled the other redeemers in short order. Although fighting demoni one on one was something of a special area for Grey, he could never compare the strength of the abominations to one another. Therefore, it was hard to gauge his own chances of survival. Or how effective this would be, for that matter.

Grey's arm was crossed over his chest, chain skidding across the ground although it had been slack on the opposite side a moment earlier. A sickening pop heralded the dislocation of Greyais's arm in it's socket, but that was a small price to pay for what he'd accomplished. A wicked hiss screamed forth as the whiplike extension of liquidous arm and thrashing chain cleared the distance between Greyais and Morbus. It was a technique Greyais preferred to use on enemies deemed too dangerous to fight at close range, and this one easily counted among them. The manipulator's arm flashed forth, seeking to sunder the pale demoni in twain.

The chain was dead and loose on the floor once more as he dug his heels in. Blood roared in his ears and the manipulator almost growled in ecstasy. Morbus could clear the space between then in less time than it took to blink an eye, and kill Grey in much the same fashion. It was fucking exhilirating.

Morbus hadn't spent a single glance on this particular Redeemer during the entire escapade, deadened eyes never once settling on his marred form. Perhaps he had been having too much fun. Yet, as soon as Grey's crude, commanding voice had rang out over the array of bodies, the creature's glassy eyes honed in on him, albeit with only a mild consequence. The warrior still couldn't seem to command forth the atrocity's his full attention as it lazily dragged its decrepate body in his direction, arm scraping against the clay leaving long trails of horror, one eye still sagging from its socket, as he almost lackadaiscally approached without true intent. A small tittering sigh seeped from his mouth like a deadly gas even as Grey's arm began to writhe like a snake, apparently uninterested by the wild show. The only thing that could crack his disinterest, in fact, was the sudden snap of Greyais' arm when had whipped forward, lopping him in half with a force that left his body swaying.

His eyes widened as he watched the lower half of his body slice open as he examined himself wonderously.. Grey's weapon sludged through his body like butter, and shlops of his thick brown innards plopped to the floor with an unpleasant "shluck". He peered down at his severed half, hands moving through his own entrails as though he we just discovering what this body was truly made of, then up at Grey, a small "oh" forming on his putrid lips.

"Well... that's neat." he said softly, almost as if an after thought meant soley for himself. He blinked twice, enough time for a single shuddering breath, before vanishing again. One of his legs lay flung among the detritus that was once sloshing within his abdomen, the other leg only barely attached to his body. The thing looked like a fucking wreck, yet it didn't seem to faze it- like this carapace he reisded in meant nothing. He felt nothing. His knew no consequence. Unlike the Redeemers, Morbus had no stakes in this game.

He appeared again behind Grey- a sick repition of the way both Lilith and Manon had gone to pass- and became so intimately close to his ear that the beads of sweat rolled from Grey's tanned flesh and onto its fetid flesh. Oh, how he loved to flaunt, basking in the attention of his little charade he put on. He drank in their horror like a more sensitive soul might take in a tropical sunset. Silently. Wide-eyed. Slack-jawed. Almost reverant in a way, though there was too much joy behind his eyes, too much jubiliation and youthful enthusiasm to use such words in this place. "No, I don't believe we have been acquainted." he whispered, just before raising his only good arm left up to swing-

Shit in a basket. it's alacrity was to be admired. Grey considered himself a decent judge of speed, but this thing was just beyond his capabilities to track with eyesight alone. The only reason Grey was not writhing on the arm of Morbus like a speared trout was the fact that it was about as arrogant and self-assured as Deus; Morbus took the time to gloat. Greyais was moving before the second word left it's charnel-spewing mouth. A thunderous crack accompanied the movement as Grey tore through the open air ahead of him, whipping around to lash at Morbus in the same movement. As the manipulator retracted hi unhinged arm once more, he loosed a pained growl. The redeemer tested his left leg, although one quick look would have spoke of the futility of the gesture.

Bone jutted from several spots beneath the skin and bright red flesh oozed blackish blood, seeping through the fabric of his pants. Greyais had mangled his leg in the explosive movement. He managed to escape, but at a high cost. Well,he figured brightly, bouncing on the ball of his remaining good leg, At least I can do that one more time. That's something...

It was all or nothing. There were two options left to Grey now: Make one more retreat when Morbus advances, desperately flailing at him again...or lash out like a wild, cornered dog, praying to whatever gods were watching that he could incapacitate it. Neither choice was particularly palatable, but...he was Greyais Be'Ureven. What the fuck did he care?
s
Another peal of shattering bone was hardly a warning, for Grey was in front of Morbus before the sound could finish washing across the area. Chain discarded and sword drawn, the manipulator brought his kilij up in a deadly arc that would tear the beast in two neat pieces from guts to head. He put every ounce of his considerable strength behind the blow, intending to beat this creature or die trying.

Morbus backed away from Grey's attack, fluidly twisting from the waist to just barely evade his mighty swing. The man's sword shredded into his already dislocated upper arm, splitting the skin like rotten fruit. His brows twisted for a second- truly confused as to how the blow had landed at all- before it sweeped into nothing less than pure exhilaration- absolute gaiety. So this was the dance the sickly monster had been waiting for.

Morbus receded from view once more, to appear behind Grey again. These motions he did over and over again were equally meant to install a sort of dread as much and to fuel his own taste for merriment. A globule of the spoiled sludge splattered on Grey's shoulder, and his long, thin tongue, thicker at the base and reminiscent of a snake's, slid out of his mouth. It was discolored, a pallid biege hue, and chunks of what appeared to be vomit coated it. Upon further inspection- as if anyone could have inspected anything- one'd find that this malodorous samp had been made of the mashed carcasses of unfortunate bees that bred from the pit of his belly. His tongue slid onto Grey's skin, licking up his own rot and smearing it up his neck before it dipped into the other's ear. It had all happened incredibly fast (the encounter less than a couple seconds) but time seemed to have slowed down. He tried again- like a broken record- to strike Grey with his talons, boorish patterns beginning to loom over the battle field. Yet, his predictability offered no refuge for the Redeemers, the malady outweighing that advantage by tons.

This was absolutely absurd. Demoni were powerful, gifted with strength, endurance, and most physical aptitudes that eclipsed that of humanity by a wide margin, but this...this was unreal. Greyais destroyed himelf trying to rival the speed this thing was putting out, and Morbus was not only laughing as he did so, not only was he not showing any signs of slowing, but Morbus was literally nothing but a floating torso at this point. If Grey actually gave a damn about his life at this point in his carrier, he might have been afraid. Alass, in his bravery or stupidity, the manipulator found the experience pulse-poundingly epic. The demoni blood in him was screaming to be set free, and if he slipped any further, Greyais might find himself fighting as an abomination. Without anyone he really gave a damn about nearby, there was no chance he would come back from that sort of forced transformation. Yet, there was little choice in the matter. Grey could not simply stop fighting because he was in danger of becoming that which he hunted.

It was a dilemma hunters of all sorts faced, and nobody was going to call Greyais Be'Ureven a quitter. When that gray, corpse-cold tongue slithered against his neck, Grey had to suppress a shudder of revulsion. Who does that in the middle of a battle? That was like licking the blood off of your blade, or something equally theatrical and foolhardy. Both of his legs were broken, and he was standing by virtue of preternatural strength alone. Again, he'd be damned if he was going to go down without a fight. Grey's arm shot down into the earth like a ballista bolt, acting like a pivot at the manipulator wrenched himself about at breakneck speed once more. He managed to escape the demoni's questing claws by a hairs breadth as the distance between them opened up once more. Upon retracting his now ruined arm, Greyais slumped to the floor.

"Well then..." he wheezed, taking stock of himself. Both legs were broken and bent at odd angles. His left arm was now limp and fractured in two dozen places, and on top of it all, Grey felt a splitting headache coming on. As it was, the scarred redeemer was basically forced to sit on his ass with his sword held as high as he could get it with his one remaining, functioning limb. He pointed the blade directly at Morbius, ready to launch his arm like a chained harpoon. It was a paltry defense when compared to his earlier attacks, but hey, what was a manipulator to do? A ghost of movement behind the demoni almost gave him pause, but Grey was too well trained to give away and ally's position like that. You better pull something out of your ass right now, angry man. And where the hell is that flitty chit?

Smith
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wudgeous on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 am

He'd swatted at the first bug when its muffled buzz came precariously near his ear--the sounds of the world was still coated in silk linens, thanks to that one abomination from the cave. He could still see its shit-eating grin when it hit its mark, a lewd satisfaction that came so easily. That's what they all were, weren't they? Easy to satisfy; all it took was carnage and harm. True, greed dictated that they'd require more and more of it, but unlike humans, they knew what they wanted. Their one-track sense of direction and desire was what made them creatures to be feared. To be hated. The pale death that arose before them was no different, and it would fall, like all the others. And yet, already it was doing more damage than he'd seen in a long, long time; meanwhile treating them as idle playthings. Its pets were finding openings in his armor, between rings of chain mail; infiltrating his clothes. Several stingers in his elbows, a forest of blistering welts on his neck, his back, popping like soap bubbles with every movement.

He registered some manner of stubborn protest when Fallon barked an order, and wheeled at the shoulders in time to see him plummeting forward, headlong at the strange beast. "Don't--!" was all he managed, in that rare moment of raising his voice into a ringing shout. He'd meant to grab the stupid boy, wring him back. Lecture him for good measure. (Since when had he become so doting?) Regardless, the elven senser was out of his reach in mere seconds like a train speeding toward a brick construction: infinitely reckless, perhaps hoping the ensuing wreckage will burn them both to ashes.

Yet Fallon was knocked to the side, and another took his place. The white of Ezekiel's eyes grew more prevalent by the moment. Another howl sounded, another fool consumed by their emotions barreling at the monster. Two very important things occurred to him during the next exchange. Firstly, the creature could disappear at will. It could fade into nothingness, fool them into thinking perhaps, just perhaps, they have driven it off and won the day. Oh, but he knew better than to believe that. It brought itself back into existence at will, in addition, shoving its arms through torsos with twinkling little eyes. Secondly, it spoke. This... creature born and bred of sin had a grasp of the human tongue. It was a vile, appalling thought; one it left Ezekiel with, mocked him with, as it brought the third of its victims down. Their giantess, Manon, who had inflicted no small wound. The creature remained unperturbed. Wistful, even.

Their bodies fell so slowly, yet they ruptured against the earth with such crude force--dried clay brutally slammed down, splitting into softly malformed pieces. These bodies he'd reprimanded mere moments ago, these unruly children at the dinner table... What did he feel for them as he watched them crumble, one after another? Because the stirring emotion, in turn, angered him.

Two more, each attempting to communicate in the language they spoke best. No more.

His was a controlled rage. A trembling lid over a boiling, bubbling cauldron. His crystallized fingers rolled against his palm, and he uttered a low prayer between grinding teeth. There it was again, the puma's pace. He strode past Snow's fallen form, glimpsed her bruised, limp neck and her dribbling red chin. He was breathing heavily, nostrils flaring like a wild animal; so focused on the enemy that he no longer knew whether the trickling on his own face came from gathered sweat or crawling bees. His muscles were clenching, twisting, choking. Grey had fallen before it, in turn, so mangled from his own output of strength. Finally, the thing that was so abysmally grotesque, so diabolical in its simple pleasures and mocking expressions, was a mere reach away.

Manipulators were gifted with the ability to contort their bodies. His body was granted something that didn't belong; an alien appendage fastened to his flesh in the same way shrapnel would be fastened to an ankle. While he cherished the irony in the "fire versus fire" tactic redeemers took, he was disturbed by all other aspects of his transformation. The split second of going too far into the dark, the constant ache that served as a reminder of what he no longer was... He kept the parasite in the constant shape of a sword, for it was a familiar comfort for a man accustomed to war.

It was not the time for restraint anymore.

Ezekiel's arm reared back, peach and deep sky lights shimmering on its jagged green edges. He was no senser. If there was a weak spot, some writhing organ within the creature, he would not know where to look for it.

He would not have to. He impaled the thing, plowing his arm through it in an uppercut as more bees swarmed towards him biting and buzzing. In that moment, the blade burst, multiplied like roots splitting the earth--foraging and piercing all its tips touched. He felt as if his veins were exploding within him, his body felt like it was shrieking. He would not listen.

Wudgeous
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Averagebear on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:15 pm

A strangled sound, one unbefit of Amaryllis soft voice, snuck up her throat and leapt from her mouth as, in a flash- so, so fast- the monstrosity had violated Lilith and then dropped her to the ground with a sickening crack of bone that perhaps only Ama could hear. It felt almost like her anger had caused this- had bred this monstrosity. She wanted to take back her chiding. It all seemed so unimportant now. She wondered if she'd ever be able to apologize to the vixen. Lucas ran to the fallen girl's body, tears (it seemed everyone was crying lately) and laughs seeming to coincide as he fetched her weapons.

Her own blades were clutched in her hands, but she knew not if they'd even work. Everytime she would start to focus, the blasted buzzing would consume her. They still stung her, this she knew only by the sounds of it, but she could feel the sluggishness affecting her. It was later that she realized there was nothing to focus on. This thing had no heartbeat, made no breaths unless voluntarily, took no steps. She wouldn't have been able to hear it at all weren't it for the ocassional twitter of sickly laughter. She might as well have been blind. She thought that now, in this moment, she was exactly that same desperate girl she'd been fifteen years ago- naked and peering over that cliff, ready to hurl herself off with reckless abandon. The same level of helpless fear slammed against her now as it had back when she watched her children go to become the same monster their father was.

She strained her ears further, tried to hear something, anything. Nothing would come, and she'd press again, stronger this time, over and over and over again with more and more pressure each time. She needed to hear. Surely there was something to hear.

She found herself in a similar situation to Lucas now, a small snort made of wry distress coming out. She laughed, but only at herself. It seemed her powers were useless. What did being a Redeemer mean? To her, it meant to protect.

One hell of a job she was doing here.

Even before Snow hit the floor, others to follow, Ama felt something stir from within her- a festering in his chest- and she'd suddenly become paralyzed with her own illness. Her blood curdled, became thick in her veins. She began to dry heave quietly, like a cat trying to rid herself of a hair ball, but it wasn't voluntary in the slightest. She didn't want to be doing this. She needed to be fighting, yet each time she tried to regain her composure, another wave of hurling had her bent over like a sea sick sailor.

Then came Manon, then Lucas. This thing- this terrible creature seemed to have no sanctity, find nothing sacred, as it violated each and every person she cared about, and they fell down about her. Why couldn't her feet just move?

Ezekiel's blade plunged deep within Morbus' soft tissue. His mouth gaped open as the man's parasitic arm splintered, jagged edges bursting further throughout his body, shards of the crystallized attachment skewering up and out his body, piercing from the inside out, sticking out at his hip and collarbone and gutting straight through his belly. His pursuit of Grey ceased immediately. He hadn't been expecting it, as attested his impalement here on the hulking man's limb, and he turned his head oh-so slowly around to peer at his assailant. Bones cracked as he twisted his neck a complete 180 degrees to stare into the depths of the Redeemer's green eyes. He looked more in pain than Morbus, his heroic act of reckless grandiosity proving to have wracked his body with searing pain.

"How quaint." Morbus' arm- the one that'd been dislocated- seemed to animate itself, rising up despite the sagging skin, and ascended up Ezekiel's face. The man batted at his hand, but it proved to be futile as Morbus' index finger grazed on Ezekiel's forehead began to trace a circular pattern there. He continued to apply more and more pressure to the swirling, and in no more than a few rotations, the skin dimpled around his finger while it spiraled. Suddenly, his digits sunk deep within Ezekiel's head, and he examined Ezekiel's mind with feline curiosity.

"So, you've heard about my engagement. She's a lovely young woman, too. You're not jealous, are you?"
a voice rang in his mind, the melody of a friend from long ago. His voiced teased the man, reverbrating with ghosted memories, replaying a conversation of the past. Perhaps it had simply been the pain- maybe the stress of the battle- but for the first time, Ezekiel answered his friend's mental prodding aloud.
"Never..."

And with that, he succumbed to Morbus' onslaught. "Hahaha. You should be, you stubborn ass." Corliss had responded just as Ezekiel's knees gave way, and thus he fell. Not back, nor forwards; merely fell onto the buckled bones, hands limp at his sides and head lolling in his slump. The weapon broke off in places, pieces of Ezekiel still trapped in Morbus' abominoble body, and the rest slid out like a butter knife through of jelly. A cheery giggle spilled from Morbus' head that he hadn't bothered yet to turn around again. Bees began to thrash about, squirming their way out of the wounds he had suffered, pouring from the hole where his detached leg might've been, spilling from the many punctures inflicted by Ezekiel's blade, from the smeared off skin where Manon's mighty hammer had struck, from his eye where Snow had stabbed. They swarmed Ezekiel with ferocious tenacity, covering every inch of his skin with prickly legs and angry stingers.

It was all too much - it was all too fucking much.

She lunged at Morbus, and he easily dodged. She couldn't hear his blood surging to his limbs. He seemed bored, his giggles ceasing as she moved at him. As expert as each movement was, as fast and precise, she was nothing without her power to hear. She tried to predict with reasoning, a sad attempt at the skill Snow had mastered, but she failed miserably. With graceful limbs streaming through the air, aiming for the places she best knew, the ones that usually worked, the only thing she could hear was the sound of his body cutting through the air as she missed, time and time again. She was sweating, screaming as she attacked in a rage. Morbus moved away, drifting off like a naughty child to get lost at the fair, distracted with his own thoughts, his back turned to her. Even like this, she couldn't land a hit.

She began panting, mouth dry. As hopeless as her attempt had been, it was over as soon as it had began and that heaving started up again. She was planted once more, and her brow knitted together in confusion. What was happening?

Her philosophies of selflessness and sacrifice abandoned her as she become consumed with pain. Why was this happening now? Her skin was on fire, her blood boiling- but worse for her were the feelings of rage and sorrow. She bathed in it- drowned in it, couldn't escape from this self-consumption even as she tried. Her ears oscillated wildly, alternating between clamorous with the yells and swipes of her comrades and not being able to hear anything at all. Her skin began to writhe as if a monster had been trapped underneath, bubbling and churning at her chest especially. She bent in half, anguished cries positively screeched from her mouth. Deafness flared into a painful blare of the thundering sound of ragged breath, the roll of sweat beading off of Ezekiel's brow, the never ending buzzing. Heartbeats exploded, as rushed and frantic as the constant roaring of footsteps, scraping of fingernails against weapons, the sound of skin being ripped, the slosh of the being's innards spitting on the ground with each blow. She could hear their muscles tense, hear their fear- hear it so loud that she could do little else as blood trickled out of her ears- yet she couldn't hear this fiend. Her hands flew to either side of her head, cupping as if it would help her.

Every time she realized that another companion was being knocked down, she'd jolt forward, ripped out of her affliction and having realized only for a second what was going on around her. But as quickly as the clarity would come, it was back to this festering of horrible things. Grotesque sounds - strange panting and growls- seemed to be the only thing she was capable of creating as she shook and twitched. She could barely even understand what was going on with Grey, but she caught on to Ezekiel falling, falling, falling. She doubled over, hands on her knees. Why was she so weak. She was enraged. She needed more power. Suddenly, with a pop and a gushing of blood, alll she could hear was the ringing after a bomb.

Her ears were gone. Any control she had over herself- any preservation of her identity she was managing to take a hold on- shattered in that moment. Secondary needs didn't exist anymore. She was simply an animal.

Gone, gone, gone, gone. They were gone. "My babies," was the only thing she could say but her voice was low and choked, gurgling. Her mind had gone to play the terrible nightmares in her brain on full blast- the same horrible dreams she'd gotten when the demoni blood had been poured down her throat and she'd become a Redeemer. Images of her children convulsing, bursting with insects, tormented her. She wasn't in the same place as her fellow Redeemers, transported and trapped in the confines of her fears. She had to protect them, but she was taking on something she had already failed at.

She felt like the corpse Morbus had sprung from, like she had another being living inside her. She wanted to be free of it- couldn't do anything but want to be free from it. Her short fingeranils clawed at her cheeks, tearing at her face and leaving deep, ugly, red tearing in her porcelain skin. She couldn't feel it, that wasn't a surprise, but she couldn't even fathom the repercussions these actions would have. Her fingers began to rip at her chest now, as if digging for this monster- trying to unleash it. Her eyes rolled back into her head, irises vanishing from sight and bulging from her head to the rhythm of her pounding heart

Morbus' attention was caught again. His only reaction was to sigh. He seemed to have a certain amount of distaste for abominations, though he did stop to watch, not staring off into the distance this time.

She began to flail violently around, her feet moving for the first time since she'd lost control, as she barred her fangs. She wasn't trying to hurt anyone- simply so enraged that a fight or flight reaction had occured, like a cornered animal. Her muscles pulsed and writhed, expanding and retracting to the beat of her inner battle. Now and then a flash of herself would appear, her tiffany blue eyes coming back into focus. When these surges would happen, she'd pause, seem completely lost- and then she'd snap back again. She nearly smashed Snow's sleeping-beauty-esque form with the heel of her boot as she charged Lucas for a moment, coming up just short, inches from snows fine nose. The only thing that had saved her was the reappearance of a glimpse of Ama.

"I-..." she managed, before she was gone once more. She was growling, blood pouring from her self-inflicted wounds on her face and chest, bits of skin hanging loosely. It was torment. Pure torment what she felt. She needed to protect them. Who was them? Her eyes locked onto Fallon. She wasn't sure anymore. Her breath was ragged and noisy. Who were the threats? All this NOISE would be the death of her. She charged Fallon.

Greyais Be'Ureven

Greyais was disappointed, to say the least. A bright hope that they might conquer the monstrosity flared and died in the same moment. Ezekiel's surprise attack skewered Morbus in a dozen places at once, and Morbus even flinched in a paroxysm of discomfort for the briefest of moments. What came next evoked a surge of loathing for Ezekiel, for all of the other Redeemers, really. The parasitic suddenly went rigid, thenwent flying back in the opposite direction. The sound of his arm shattering like glass was not lost on Greyais, although he wished he would not have caught that. You'd expect such a rare breed of redeemer to be a cut above the rest, but it turned out that the parasitic was just as weak as the others. Just as weak as Snow, who's magnifier extrasensory proved just a hair too slow. As weak as Manon, proving that muscles made of iron were of little protection against the better of their hated foes. As weak as Lucas or Fallon, who's enhanced senses amounted to shit. Greyais glanced past the looming Morbus to look upon Lilith's prone form.

That made him wonder. Manipulators were not special. Indeed, unless they developed some special technique, they were basically rubber-men playing at demoni-slayers. Grey met Morbus's milky gaze once more and decided to at least try to die in an undignified, thrashing manner. He struck out with as powerful a strike as any able-bodied man could muster. It came as a surprise to him, and probably Morbus too, when the creature, caught in a sigh of annoyance for Amaryliss, lost his head.

"Ha...haha." Greyais stared at the headless thing that had wiped out his "comrades" in bleak amazement. That was it? Truly? All that was required to win was a simple decapitation? As soon as Grey's blade had swiped clean through his neck, Morbus' pale face, now severed from his body, stared off with grim scowl. With a sizzling pop, his entire body burst into a horde of bees, now seemingly purposeless. They buzzed every which way, the cloud disapparating. Grey, slack-jawed, gaping, and broken, fell on to his back and began chuckling to himself. The mild movement felt like shards of metal rubbing together in his crushed limbs, but he did not concern himself with that. The wounds would heal quickly enough, now that Greyais wasn't focusing his energy on keeping up with a speed-demon like Morbus. Already he could feel the bones sifting through torn flesh, probing to find what other shards they belong fused to-

Pus spewing bloodgut in hell... What was that wench doing now? Greyais watched on in morbid fascination as Amaryliss flagellated herself.Had it been an enemy inflicting the brutal flaying, on any other day, Grey might have laughed. Watching the scene play out before him under these circumstances was somehow...saddening. Disturbing. Grey felt as if he were watching a stray dog gnawing at itself, trying to ingest something as it died a slow death. That sentiment changed when Amaryliss went feral. With ruined skin and weeping gashes all around, snarling some bestial curse, Amaryliss looked every bit the part of some ancient goddess of war. For all her doting and innappropriate smiling, she was terror to behlod when battle-ready. That may have been why Grey felt the slight twinge of pity for Fallon when the crazed woman charged him. "Why are you doing this to me, woman..."

Grey knew he would hate himself in the morning, provided he lived to see it, for doing this. He released the grip on his sword. A thin rustling noise like a dying fire roved the field as the splintered bones of Grey's arm and legs writhed and shifted beneath his skin. Already, the pain was much worse than before. New, agonizing torrents of nerve spasms accompanied a heady rush of ecstasy as Grey loosed the reigns on his self control. He delved deeper in to that realm redeemers were warned not to tread for fear of losing their very souls, or some nonsense like that. The demoni blood roiled hotly within its mortal shell, twisting, contorting, and ravaging all it touched with its newfound freedom. It seemed to boil in irritation when Grey finally reeled it in. He had used too much too fast already, and it would be impossible to stop if he let it progress any further. Hopefully, he thought in a blase sort of way, more power would not be required.

Grey was between Amaryliss and Fallon in an instant, scathing the ground in front of Amaryliss with a series of lightning fast strikes from his claws. Grey rocked on the balls of his feet, watching Amaryliss carefully. The swarthy redeemer was a deathly shade of gray now, one eye smoothed over by perfect skin, the other blood red and fiery orange in places across the iris and sclera. He made no move to speak, his tongue fused to sharpened teeth in the midst of his blood-abuse. Other than these obvious maladies, Greyais was hale and whole once more. The manipulator raised his hands in a placating gesture, willing Amaryliss to back down. With his disdain for the little wretch, it was a hard enough gesture. With the demoni blood practically shrieking at him to tear the bitch's head off and drinking what falls out.

Amaryliss staggered backward, breath coming out in laboured puffs as she growled at the obstacle. The intrusion had seemed to lure out at least a part of her humanity back, irises rolling forward once more to throw venemous daggers in his direction and her useless flailing having ceased. Still, her comprehension of the situation proved still to have its restraints, not acknowledging Grey as a person, let alone a fellow Redeemer. She bared her teeth and hunched her back, muscles surging and pulsing unnaturally under her ashen skin as she tensed, unsure of whether to veer down the path of fight or flight. Wild eyes flicked from side to side, brows furrowed and veins waiting to burst. Slowly, though, in this animal's desparation for a decision, reason became a commodity, and with Ama's newly released reason came a vague recognition. You could see the transformation- literally watch as her gears creaked to a churning halt. The last of the maladies to go was the bulging in her chest, the coils simmering back down like boiling water stilling as it cooled. "Wha-...?" she began with a croak. Her voice caught in her throat about the same time her eyes flew wide, the motion like an echo of the freakish gawking she'd been doing earlier. Now, all that was left of the senseless beast was a pale, clammy woman drowning in aftermath.

Her mouth fell open as she swallowed in the scene, though even in her horror, she was leaps and bounds more subdued now. A soft "No," dribbled out her throat. Instead of solving the problem at hand, her duty not only as a Redeemer but as the first in command, she'd only created another one. Now her friends had fallen and the creature had disappeared. She leveled eyes with Grey. As humiliating as the outbreak had been, she would not deny its occurrence. That in itself would have been more shameful. She wanted to thank him but didn't know how- for the first time in a long time, words had escaped her. With a certain amount of defeat, she side stepped the man who'd broken a leg and a leg for the cause and looked to Fallon. Suddenly, that dignified silence she'd managed to practice on the number 18 broke with her heart. She'd tried to kill Fallon. She'd tried to hurt this boy (or, rather, a man now) she loved as her own son- more than her biological sons, some would wager. She looked down on his battered body, knowing that she'd been this close to-

With a trembling lip, she knelt down and wrapped him in an embrace, dipping her head into his collarbone, and letting the breathy sobs echo about the clearing. She wished she could feel, wished she could know if he'd hugged her back. Her tears streamed through the slashes she'd given herself, carved a path for them to fall. "I'm so sorry." How ironic was a life spent trying to save others when you were the monster in the first place.

Averagebear
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yonbibuns on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:33 pm

People were entitled to the occasional moments of weakness but people like the Redeemer's could not afford the luxury too often. Why waste it? His heart fluttered loudly in his ears, an incandescent sound that felt like the rapid wing beats of a moth throwing itself against a window. An unmanageable, flurrying rhythm that lacked the luster to form a beautiful symphony. His foundation was crumbling. There would be nothing left but broken bricks, tumbled windowsills and bits of ash whispering from a dying fireplace. It was a despairing feeling, one he hadn't often felt. He'd decided long ago that he hated it. It was a finger-numbing helplessness, fumbling at the catches of his throat to throttle what little life there was left. He wanted to convince himself, desperately, that this was nothing more than half muddled dream that he couldn't quite grasp. These worthy adversaries, these companions, of his were falling like disassembled flies: wings crudely torn off. Flitting to the ground like burning stacks of parchment paper – perhaps, Litatio's doing, all along. Fallon's eyelids shuddered open like heavy curtains thrown out wide, revealing glossy reflections of the scene before him. His companions being cut down, relentlessly, mercilessly.

To the Redeemer's, Fallon gave everything. Every single flawed part of himself – a combined design of gnashed teeth and swirling blades. He gave them his heart and his mind and his body and his past and his future. His fragile hopes. His seemingly sordid, often childish, expectations that they would vanquish all the evildoers who'd dare cross their paths and come out of it unscathed, untouched. Even so, he never believed in heroes. He gave up on the idea that there were people in this world, who risked their lives to save others, simply because it was the right thing to do. Who could do such a thing? Snow. Slowly, so progressively reluctant, Fallon's pedestals had crumbled and his opinions and thoughts had transmuted themselves into something tangible: something optimistic. They'd done that for him. They'd changed him. What did he give them in return? Feverish anger spewing from a thoughtless mind, unorganized and cluttered. As dangerous as lashing his own blades into their necks. He was completely useless to them, now. He could offer nothing in return. The vulgar disparity surrounded him, sluggishly pooling in wet squelches from his palms as he watched the genderless abomination swinging Lilith in it's spindly arms, taunting Lucas through it's eyeless sockets and pinched mouth. Morbus, Morbus, Morbus.

The name felt like thick rivulets of sickness seeping down his throat, metallic and unpleasant. Morbus was a cancer feasting on healthy, viable organs. His name was not familiar. It did not ring any bells that would have aided him. The creature's thin skull rocked backwards, undulating laughter that shook it's Adam’s apple like a soundless tambourine. He hadn't caught what Lucas had said, but he doubted it was comical. So entirely focused on the abomination's animated actions – bending forward, clasping his knees as if they'd shared a particularly fond joke. Unfortunate twitters of delight roiled just beneath the creature's translucent flesh. Even now, sprawled against the ground, Fallon could see faint bumps dragging themselves from within Morbus' forearms – errant bees searching for an exit, or simply, enjoying themselves under all those thin folds of skin and muscle and, presumably, dust. Things that could not possibly be of this world. Things that should not have the right to exist. The creature's doleful skin patches flashed back in his direction, crinkles appearing across it's forehead as if he were being studied. As if he was going to be devoured, eaten alive, picked apart by a carrion bird. Fallon would kill him. He would tear at it's ankles until his mouth was a broken mess: he would kick and bite and claw until there was nothing left of him. His trembling affirmation fell away like smoke, sifting itself smaller, and smaller as Morbus approached. Suddenly Lilith was thrown towards Lucas, discarded like a child's doll, tumbling them in an awkward mess of tangled limbs, Fallon only had time to sputter, loudly: “You! Morbus. Morbus!

Greyais' slender form whooshed past him, sending hissing sparks from the whip-like chain trailing behind, accompanied by his dislocated arm. It scored a sickening blow across Morbus' exposed midriff, though, probably not how he'd initially intended. Fallon's head lolled across his shoulders, forcing him to drag himself forward to lean against his undamaged elbow. He looked up, again. Serpentine innards spilled freely from Morbus' abdomen, slipping between his elegant fingers and sloughing juices across his bare feet – as if a balloon had been popped. It's movements no longer made sense. It's body was a fucking mess, lugging his limbs around like distended whips and pooling it's contents as if it were painting a picture: the ground was it's canvas. It was even more macabre then the scene below them, then the dreadful massacre rotting in the cave they'd recently vacated. Greyais seemed just as broken as Morbus, albeit without entrails and vital organs cascading from the important cavities of his body. He was an unwilling audience. His pathetic mewling died in the emptied recesses of his throat. He watched. The creature's pallid tongue slithered across Greyais' exposed neck – he could see this, all slowed down to the merest seconds, as it's muscle of parlance dipped into his ear like a snake burrowing into a hole.

How much longer would that twitched smile brighten the man's face? It was no easy thing to watch the physical degeneration of one of his companions, to look on as he slumped unceremoniously on the ground: a broken thing. There was nothing that could be done. Nothing he could do but watch. Weren't they joking around moment's before? Questing quietly about visiting dingy taverns, slinging drinks. His fingers clutched the twisted fastenings of his forearm blade, pulling upwards until his bones grazed lazily through the sinews of his muscles, rubbing themselves raw. His breath hitched, but by some miracle, Fallon was able to loosen the blades purchase in the ground and kneel forward, allowing his dislocated arm to hang limp.

The Manipulator was a heaping wreck of fractured limbs, botched and jumbled in disarray. His only defense was pointing his sword at Morbus' invulnerable corpse, ready to harpoon it into a nearby tree, only to have the damned fucking thing laugh like a giddy child and continue it's rampage. It was an impenetrable vessel, impregnable from damage or pain or anguish. There was a titanium flash of plate mail from his peripheral vision, followed by a grotesquely morphed appendage, rearing backwards, glistening through the air like a mossy anomaly. He knew well enough without seeing Ezekiel as a whole that he'd been only a few paces away, charging forward now that his last remnants of fatherly restraint had run dry. His heart drummed loudly, singing. It was a childish thing – reliance. It was a ribcage crumbling dependance, crushing him into dust because he was weak. His mouth refused to formulate words, refused to continue screaming incoherent, unhelpful, names. He watched as Ezekiel's splintered arm harrowed through the abomination's midsection, driving itself upward in a sweeping thrust that sent tendrils and roots and pieces of himself into it's flesh – whatever remained of it, anyway.

This was too much. The rocky knobs of his spine raked forward, arching painfully, as Fallon took a step forward, planting himself like a deeply-rooted tree. He felt like a jelly-legged foal: brittle-boned and weak. How dearly he wanted to say: Nothing will ever happen to you. I promise I will keep you safe. It will be okay. I will, if anything, protect you from this. I will shield you. He'd already failed this task, miserably. Despondency spilled from the vents of his ribcage, bubbling over, frothing. The abomination's probing fingers, harp-like and fragile, pressed against Ezekiel's forehead and parted through flesh as if he were dipping his hands into a cauldron filled with water. Something occurred between them. He did not understand. He could not will himself to move. Thousands of insects swarmed from it's wounds, beating their wings in unison as they crawled across Ezekiel's exposed flesh, pricking him with their stingers before slipping off to die. Sweeping limbs belonging to Amaryliss attempted to fell the giggling creature. Each instinctive attack missed, again and again. Morbus was toying with her, plucking her strings like a violin, full of piss and vinegar and amusement. His mouth dried, as desolate and sandy as a feline's tongue.

Amaryliss was going too far. Beads of sweat slicked down her forehead, dripping from the tip of her nose and intermingling with the spatters of blood collecting at the corner's of her fevered eyes. There was a madness there, dipping it's claws into her throat, into her mind, into her heart. Her pupils shivered and trembled. His eyes – so useless against such a foe as Morbus – had been trained to detect lies, to evaluate a man's weaknesses, to scrutinize a person's actions before they'd so much as moved. Morbus' weaknesses were unpainted, unreadable. If he hadn't known better, than Fallon would have thought he was a weightless, as indestructible as water. Only made up of reflections, refractions, waves, and a liquidated life form. It wasn't until Grey's slingshot arm sliced clean through Morbus neck that Fallon's eyes darted forward, dragging away from Amaryliss' stumbling form. It's eyeless head rolled across the ground, bursting like a grapefruit filled with buzzing bees. He couldn't help it. He laughed. It was a sick noise that rumbled into a soft sigh, a hitched sob. An intake of breath, drowning. Hadn't it been for Greyais, then surely he wouldn't have noticed Amaryliss charging forward. Surprised by the sudden movement caused Fallon to stumble backwards, gelatin legs mercilessly dragging him back to his knees. His eyes flew open, wide – bristling with what? Anticipation. “A-Ama?” His voice was as quick and wispy as the smoke from a lit cigarette.

Betrayal scrabbled in his throat. It was not sweet. It was not sour. It was odourless, tasteless, soundless. It was worse than disparity, worse yet than despair or defeat. If it hadn't been for Greyais, what would have happened? The world revolved around Amaryliss approaching figure, spinning him along with it. Her eyes. She was slicing his heartstrings, dragging them clear. She was needling salt into his wounds. Her eyes were maddening colours, flashing. Abomination. Twisted spits of sand lifted from the ground as Greyais appeared in front of him, arms thrown out wide, nearly as quick as Morbus, he'd imagined. He tried to appear stronger, an ever existing scowl etched onto his face. It shuddered into a solemn line. If it hadn't been for Greyais, he would've allowed himself to die. He would've submitted. Her pulse was erratic, a fumbling twitch beating purposefully across her temples. She was still there. He could tell. Even if they'd been told to fell their companions if such a thing were to occur. Fallon's fingers closed around Grey's ankle, barely applying any pressure, before pulling it back across his knee. He didn't need to say anything. It was his thanks, his appreciation, his need for him to still his blade. Under Amaryliss' gaze, renewed with life and shirking the sickness that she'd felt moments before, Fallon withered, pulling things back inside of him that were no longer safe.

Fallon had seen something ugly in her eyes. Something that had nearly ended his life because he couldn't possibly react with anything but a chilly enfeeblement, paralysed by his emotions. His companion, his friend, his family – Amaryliss, she'd been ready to kill him. His mouth opened, then closed. Unwilling to voice his thoughts. The one's that thumped unsteadily, unfastened to anything secure. The one's that wished to flinch away from her touch. She'd already knelt down, lips trembling. Fresh tears sprung from her eyes, slipping down unimpeded. She wrapped her arms around his aching shoulders, before dipping her head into the blossoming pool of watercolor paints collected in the hollow of his collarbone. His blood. Her blood.

He did not hear her apology, whispered into the crook of his collar. It hurt to breathe. It hurt. In a way, he hated her for what she'd been willing to do. He could not live without her, but in that moment, Fallon hated her in a way that struck him speechless. Selfishly, unreasonably, quiet.

Help them, Ama. They need you, now. They need you strong.

He did not say I.

Yonbibuns
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wudgeous on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Her blood...

Or what was left of her blood, spilled like a punctured gas tank, from one stomach to another. So it could be said that Lucas had little reason to struggle onto his unsteady feet; even if he hadn't slid headfirst against the dirt, neck snapping backwards terribly, hair moist with red matter from a wound that would be swollen for days and days. He wasn't plunged into unconsciousness, then. Oh no, that would have been too kind--an undeserved mercy. He was staring at the appearing stars after just a few seconds of darkness--though it felt like longer. So much happened in those few seconds.

Grey.

Ezekiel.

A bee was on his face. He let it hop it its way, each hair of each its furry legs digging into his skin like a ring of knives. Lucas groaned aloud, nails clenching into the dirt as he gradually rolled himself up like a carpet in a market stall. His mind was white, still, static; his eyeballs felt like they were popping--bubbles on the surface of lava. When he gathered enough specks of focus into a cohesive whole, he was focusing on the razor sharp movements of a blur: the silhouette of their fearless leader, running towards him.

He didn't blink.

Though he sighed into Lilith's hair, it was not one of dismay or relief. Lucas wasn't sure what he was feeling about the end result of it all. He wasn't sure he wanted to feel at all. Nerves prickling in protest, he picked himself up onto accordion legs, the skinny manipulator held slackly in his arms. Her head rolled mutely. Each step he took felt so light on the ground. No impact. No footprints. As if he were an invisible man unable to leave a single mar on the canvas of the world. He had come to expect this, and yet...

He set Lilith down next to Snow, as carefully as he could manage. "Nica," he then called halfheartedly. "Nica." He called, doing his best to avoid setting his sights on the puddle of bodies. How many of them could stand? Walk? Grimacing, he said to no one in particular: "I'm gonna head back down to the village. See if they can't come up and..."

He swallowed the rest of his words, and began walking. There was going to be a lot of both to come, he was sure.

Wudgeous
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Averagebear on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Ama pulled back and looked at Fallon like a wounded, hurt puppy having just been smacked for misbehaving, confused as her eyes darted down to the rest of his form. It only just dawned on her that it'd been unyielding the entire time. Her confusion settled into a straining hurt that came out in a single begging exhale, pleading and betrayed, but then into a tight lipped resignation. He had not accepted her apology. This stung her far worse than anything else, she'd reckon. She supposed it'd been selfish of her to assume him to in the first place, but-

She robotically fixed a smile on her face and drew away from him with stiff limbs. She had to swallow before she could get out a weak, "Yes." Where she'd expected a warm embrace she'd gotten a hardened plank, and it had slapped her right out of her crying. Actually, she didn't know what she expected. Her grin now was unsettling, but she didn't know what else to do. It had turned into a bit of a defense mechanism after so long of it being genuine. It was almost awkward, a scene akin to a young girl confessing her love to a man and being turned down, a disappointed "oh" to it all. She stood and averted her eyes from him. Of course he wouldn't be.

She didn't deserve his forgiveness, no matter how much she needed it.

Would Ezekiel would treat her the same when he found out? Had she burned all her bridges? Were they at all rebuildable? She peeked just one more glance at Fallon, a high strung cheerfulness pasted on to her, as she wondered if he'd ever trust her again.

It'd never occurred to her that she might spend her dying days alone. That earned a twitter of nervous laughter as she near frantically reached to her pouch and grabbed out healing aids. She went to the nearest body- Snow- and choked again as she remembered the havoc she'd almost wreaked. Her breaths were short, and her body still weeped with blood, tearing in thick droplets down her neck from her face. She concentrated on doing anything she could for her wounded companions while Lucas left, a tense silence suffocating her.
Last edited by Averagebear on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Averagebear
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby onetrickpony on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:22 pm

And suddenly, as if the Redeemer's were undesserving of even a moment's peace, a form came thundering up the hill, enveloped completey in the dust its commotion was kicking up. A wagon was drawn by two shabby and underfed horses, mane's matted and eyes apathetically half lided as they hauled the creaking hunk of shoddy workmanship. As it pulled up, multiple men, much too young and much too old for fighting (and no men in between), jumped out the back, out of shape or muscles too young to be hardened for war. Though they had done nothing yet, they were sweating heavily, afraid. Their eyes were wild. They held blunt rusted swords that seemed much older than any of them.

"We're here to help," one of the much-too-young ones panted, muscles straining. "We couldn't let you fight for our sake's" he continued altruistically. It must have taken a lot of courage and convincing to get these men to leave the safety of their homes to help what they must have perceived as being their heroes.

But it was too late. Their courage was too little too late. The battle had passed. All that remained was the rubble left in the wake of this monstrous event.

Yet it was unlikely these chumps would have been able to help anyway. Upon looking more closely, one might have seen a young boy, no more than fourteen, clutching his sword so tightly his hands were now white, knees slamming into each other as they trembled violently.

As these people looked around, they realized what they had missed - not with sadness or a bitter disappointment, but with relief. It was as if they had all begun to breathe all at once.

A small voice rang from above all their heads, a sparrow from a leafy branch. "Can you take us to City Hall?" Nica asked with refined sobriety. She had monkey'd to the top of a tree, small and bird like, resting on her heels in a crouched position. Her large owl like eyes gaped from behind the leaves. As soon as she had spoken, she shimmied down the trunk to reunite with the adults, proving herself to be uncannily dwarfed beside all the brawn and beef. She was short, even for a ten year old. She seemed unharmed, save for a few scrapes, and unaffected by the events.

They agreed that it was a small favor considering the tremendous help they had just been given. The twenty or so men helped to pack the Redeemer's up in the back of the wagon, their bodies straining under the weight of Manon, but uncomplaining, laying the bodies down as they placed damp clothes against their slick skin, wiping away the dirt and grime and blood. Salves were applied over their wounds and stings, covering much of all of their bodies in a strange mint green cream. Nica had taken to crouching beside each of the Redeemers, pulling out strange and smelly liquids from her oversized napsack and tunneling it into their mouths. She insisted on those who refused until refusal was simply not an option, all of this done wordlessly, no less. Some of her potions had an instant effect while with others it was questionable whether she was simply feeding them mud or frog pee just to mess with them.

Lilith's shirt was immediately removed, carefully cutting and ripping through the fabric to pry it from her skin. It was dried and sticking to her wound, obstructing access, and the villagers grimaced at the sight as they unsheathed it, looking skeptically to one another, before Nica plunged to work. Wiping the blood away from her chest and stomach, they tried to remove all the caked on gore, remove all memory and indication of what had just transpired, but there was so much...the rags were soaked in deep red, and they just appeared to be smearing as it was dunked into a bucket and rung out over and over again. It looked more like preparing a body for a funeral, cleaning it up a bit, than any sort of medicine. Her hair was smoothed from her face. There was dirt crusted into her stomach, caking her organs. But they worked gingerly, tensely awaiting each bump in the road to avoid impaling the tender tissues inside. You could clearly see her heart from the gaping hole in her stomach...it was not beating. Her lungs did not expand. Her wounds were no longer bleeding. Yet Nica still worked, rag dipping in and out of her stomach.

Lucas would mention, with precisely the same manner of deep reluctance one would have when asked to lick dog dung, to send word to the weeping woman from before, tenatively throwing the name "Sarah" about. They seemed to understand, dismayed by the fact that so many of their villagers had died.

Eventually they reached their destination. The villagers had never really relaxed around them. They were thankful, yes, but still very awkward. Most had been silent the entire way there, a good hour. While they wanted to praise their heroes, the cloud of doubt that hung above their organization made their actions somewhat forced, fearful even. Their weight shifted and they had trouble making eye contact with the strange group. They surely did not look their best.

"We can wait here with them," a pudgey middle aged man offered, waving an arm so covered in hair he might have been a beast at the Redeemers who remained slumbering in the rough wooden floor.

There they were...at the outside part of this building. But they were not the same group that had been there just twenty four hours before.

"Walking the halls had less anticipation and more sorrow, each hallow echo sounded contrary. The warriors trailed down the skinny hall for the third time now. It seemed with each trip, their party grew smaller in size and darker in spirit, and this walk was no different." the wiry man croaked. As the story progressed, he seemed to empathize with the aforementioned warriors he'd initially spat about. Their troubles seemed to harrow him personally, like the more he told their tale, the more a heavy weight nestled on his shoulders. A small cat mewed at him as it leapt up to the arm of his chair, nuzzling into his arm and slipping itself into his lap. Distracted, he paused to scratch behind the creatures ear. "To be frank, they just couldn't catch a break." he sighed, his other bony hand going to rub at the bridge of his nose.

None of the kids had anything to say, it seemed. They were either too sleepy, too horrified, or too emersed to bother pestering the crickety fellow any longer. A red haired child dozed off, head slumping forward, and a hawkish frowny little boy smacked her in the back of the head immediately. "Wake up," he hissed. The old man wanted to laugh at the act but he knew it'd only make the dark haired child more upset, so he kept his tittering over small children hitting each other to himself.

He hummed as he reajusted in his chair and checked the clock on the wall. It was getting rather late (his complacency and general pleasantness could attest to it) and his voice had become sore. "I think it's best if we stop for the night," he admitted, his hand smoothing the black fur on the purring fuzzball in his lap.

The little girl was smacked again, clearly to blame for this retirement. "Hey, it's not my fau-" she had begun with a pout, but another one of the tykes cut her off. "Please keep going! Please!"

The man gave a look that showed he was expecting no less, and nodded. "I'll tell you what happened in Litatio's office, but no more." he stated. Even the scowling child who seemed to be unconsolable had a flash of contentedness sweep over his face. "The demigod was quite the spoil sport..."

Carpe diem bitches.

onetrickpony
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:44 pm

Somewhere, in a grand and hallowed hall that neither man nor god would ever lay eyes upon, something changed. It was a small thing, the barest pinprick amidst a thousand clocks ticking over, marking the ends and the beginnings of this or that, but for perhaps a single soul, the occasion was nothing short of momentous. It was neither grand nor glorious in its effervescence, and perhaps even Fate itself would scarcely be able to recall when the scales had tipped, when the hastily-mixed metaphors had heralded the judgment of one yet too hale to succumb to death.

It was, for Snow, the moment her mind hummed to life once more, an errant thought crossing her consciousness with all the determination of a leaf in the wind, notable not so much for its content as its singularity. She never thought only one thing at a time. It was as absurd as the notion that a song should consist of but a single note, or a life of a single breath. And yet, there it was.

Live. It was many things in one word. An echo of the last thought she’d had before everything went dark, a pitiful entreaty to Fallon, to the others, for it was the sole purpose behind her actions. It was also, perhaps, a command to herself, from her own mind or the realms of the dead, she could not say. It was also a resolution, now that she thought about it.

Snow had, for a very long time, simply existed, her vision of the present always clouded over by the haze of what once had been, or what might have been allowed if the world were not such a cruel place. But somehow, when she’d simply moved forward, taken the place of another, and stared into the eyes of death itself, she’d understood that she’d been dead the whole time. Squandering the second chance she’d been given. Her existence, the motor functions of her body and the myriad thoughts flitting about in her mind, had possessed no value of their own, not to her.

But… when she’d done that thing, when she’d knocked her fellow Redeemer aside and felt the creature’s claws close about her throat, she’d given those things value. Whether it had worked as intended or not, she’d thought to sacrifice what was hers for what was not. A sacrifice could not occur if what she had to give was worth nothing. Not what she had possessed, not what she could have claimed, but what was already and always hers. In that moment, neither past nor demolished dream held sway, for she could not have offered either and succeeded. They had not been the important thing, right then, no matter what visions her tormented psyche had presented her with.

And hanging there, dangling helplessly in Morbus’s clutches, she’d understood at last what she’d always known: none of it was to be. None of it was coming back, and that did not rob her life of meaning. Sabin was dead, Drake was dead.

And she was still alive.

Slowly, the feeling returned to Snow’s limbs, and she risked cracking an eyelid, wincing against the intrusion of light. A few blinks cleared her vision, and she swallowed, trying to clear her throat that she might inquire as to her location.

It was a horrible mistake. Pain ricocheted from her throat and neck up into her head, and her lips parted, as though she were trying to cry out, but no sound emerged, her throat too broken and raw to produce anything but a raspy exhale. Though she could not see them, she could feel the wisteria-colored bruises in full bloom, a mottled ring enclosing nearly the whole of her porcelain neck. There were, she was willing to bet, very clear finger-marks imprinted there, each of the phantom digits etched with the clarity of sharp contrast into her skin.

Positioning her forearms underneath her, Snow managed to push herself up onto her elbows, panting slightly at the effort required. There was nobody bothering to tell her not to overexert herself, however, and so she fully intended to do so, though her thoughts whispered admonishments at her for her foolishness. She had to check- had to know if what she was thinking now was true. Had her life even enough worth to preserve another’s? If not, if by some horrible twist of Fate’s ugly knife, she was the only one left, then, well… it would be a world she could persist in no more.

Relying on her natural balance, the elf leveraged herself to her feet, rising slowly, painfully slowly, from a crouch and casting her eyes this way and that, filtering information and giving herself a picture of what was going on.

She was, she realized, standing in the back of a very large, open wagon. Her eyes found faces, familiar and unfamiliar alike, and she named them as she could. Lucas, Ezekiel, Grey, Manon, Amaryllis, Fallon… She almost released a sigh of relief when she noted that, if they were not conscious, at least their chests and abdomens were rising and falling with the steady intake of breath. Whatever small thing she had done was not for naught, then.

Her eyes fell on Nica, working over Lilith, and Snow’s stomach seemed to drop out from under her. Suddenly a bit unsteady on her feet, she braced herself against the cart, sliding down into a sitting position. No matter how she squinted, she could not discern the movements of breaths. She looked to Lucas, beside her now in the cramped quarters of the wagon, and her expression, for once wide-open and clear as day, asked the question her throat could not give voice to.

Is she-?

Snow stared up at the same column she’d examined… what was it, the day before? Two? It felt like an eternity encapsulated in an instant. There was no denying that everything had changed. Not just for the group or the mission, because those scars were obvious and painful, but also for herself. She had no idea what to do with what she’d discovered, but she did understand one thing:

She was furious. The feeling didn’t quite reach her face, but it was captured nicely in her eyes, a hard stare fairly crackling with rage, contained but not quashed. The feeling itself was almost new, burning like dry ice in her veins, lighting up her nerves until they were sparking with electric impulse, and everything looked and felt so much more vivid than she remembered it.

She didn’t know what she was going to do about it, but confronting Litatio seemed like a good start. She’d been taken for a fool, they all had, and Lilith had paid for it dearly. Dearly, because it did matter. And it would be answered for.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wudgeous on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 pm

The pacifying sway of the cart made him feel dreadful in a way he hadn't felt in a longass time, and Lucas hurled the contents of his stomach over its side, faintly marveling that he didn't suffer from motion sickness. He didn't. Other than the blooms of blood on his clothing, he wasn't even badly hurt. The villagers' valiance was lost on him in the face of the stinging reminder that it was happening again: he'd disappointed someone again, lost someone again. And yet: here he was. Slumping and sighing after wiping his arm across the remnants of mess splattered on his jaw, he caught Snow thank Sapientia she's conscious looking to him with rounded, dismayed ruby pupils.

He knew what she was wordlessly asking, and that was the bear trap on his heart; searing metal shards, claws crunching and popping arteries as the organ pulsed to a slow and agonizing stop. He tore his sight away from her, and from everyone else with great effort. He was silent for the remainder of the trip, granting his attention to no more than plank boards and fragments of sky.

When they reached their destination, some companions that walked among them did not rise to the occasion. That was fine; they needed their rest. Lucas donned something of a faux smile, invisible in its reassuring quality--a straight line carved above his marred chin to indicate calm, because that's what he had to be at that moment. Patience was a virtue, and he would allow it to consume him.

All he had to do was breathe, and listen to the breaths of those that remained. That would be enough for now.

"So, leader," he remarked quietly after a time, "the worst has come to pass, hey?" It wasn't that he failed to notice her... breakdown from before, and thus felt neither fear nor reluctance in approaching her. It actually was in memory of the abrupt animalistic behavior that he saw fit to socialize with her now--it was a human thing to be social, and to quarantine Amaryllis couldn't lead to any form of improvement.

"And maaa--an." He couldn't stop his voice from quivering, straining briefly in spite of the accustomed, brisk pace he took as if he walked these halls on a daily basis. "Hope we don't have to wreck that demigod's office too badly like last time, huh...?" Lucas swallowed, and then was silent. He'd directed the gibe at the entire motley riff-raff, but then felt his words inappropriate somehow. He could barely look at their faces when he spoke; his tongue felt like a hairy serpent between his cheeks, nipping at the tension in the air and making it altogether worse. He wondered if Nica had some sort of balm for this feeling.
Last edited by Wudgeous on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wudgeous
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yonbibuns on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Numbed fingers fumbled across Amaryliss' back, leaving finger-soft trails across the fabric of her shirt as she pulled away from him. It almost felt as if he'd severed something, as if he'd taken his own hands and ripped something beautiful, something necessary to his own well-being, so completely, so uniformly broken. As they parted, Fallon's lifeblood left stains through Amaryliss' hair, matting in small pooled clumps – it was somehow fitting this way. She'd taken a part of him. She always had. He did not move away quickly, mechanically, even though he wished to remove himself from the situation that pained him so. His heaving heart resigned itself into a solemn, hollow beat. No matter how easy it would've been to whisper those three absolving words against her ear, in that particular embrace, he could not bring himself to do it. It was dreadful. It was agonizing. Certain types of pain were, simply, unforgivable. At least, Fallon could not bring himself to utter those words at the moment. Perhaps, with time, it would change. Perhaps, then, he would approach Amaryliss and mend the bridge that had been so forcefully, so brutally, burnt.

The heat augmenting from his injured arm was a great hand, sluggishly enveloping his thoughts, and it's fiery grip plucked at him, smothering him. When Amaryliss' disentangled herself from him, stiff-limbed, unreasonably rigid, Fallon couldn't help but feel abandoned. Hadn't this been his own doing? Even still, the Elf felt the familiar twinges of iniquity and blameworthiness dipping his thoughts in solicited shadows. It had happened so fast. Like the speed of light, like lightning crashing through the skies. He hadn't been able to control himself. He hadn't been able to control his own rage. It'd would have been surprising if he'd had time to be surprised, but then, then Snow had vaulted into him, jostling him away from his impending death. He was sure now that it would've ended in death. Something thick and repulsive, made from greasy drippings, roils in his stomach. It's familiar because he's felt it before – shame. Shame was weary of camaraderie, an ally, to allow him the convenience of living. Amaryliss single idiom, a private, broken word, reflected her hurts. He watched as she sprang away to aid her companions, constricted grin tumbling across her features and not quite coordinating with her eyes. By the time Amaryliss glanced in his direction, Fallon was staring at the ground.

He'd remained unhelpfully silent as the men swept their arms around his healthy shoulder, half-carrying him aboard the wooden cart. He hadn't even slapped any hands away, stubbornly, to refuse being cleaned like an unruly child. Damp cloths wiped the grime from his face, gently pressed against his forehead until he finally scooped the damned thing up and eyed them, levelly. This was something he could do on his own. His eyes, hardened, watched as Amaryliss worked on the most heavily damaged of the Redeemer's, Lilith. Two glints of penetrating gold, yielding to shuttered eyelashes. He was used to cruelties. So, cruel was the only word for this. He did not refuse the foul-smelling liquid Nica offered, as placid as a bovine creature, quickly tipping his head, until she was satisfied and moved onto the other's. The taste did little to improve his mood, though he felt slightly better, if he could've said as much. Warmth spread it's fingers through his stomach, though he believed he did not deserve it. Smooth creams were applied to the wounds across his collarbone where his bone had penetrated, leaving flapping scraps of flesh hanging. Two knowledgeable men nodded over his slumped body, little more than a relinquished husk, before they mumbled something about setting his bones in place. Fallon responded with silence, wincing as one adjusted his position, bracing one hand against his chest. Foolishly, childishly, they'd mentioned something about counting to three, as if it would somehow alleviate the pain. His shoulder popped back into place with a sickening crack. Fallon's face contorted in agony. He inhaled sharply, regaining composure.

This particular malaise was not subjective. Small thing. He wouldn't have considered it a small thing. In some rational recess of his mind, he knew that Snow had only done what she thought necessary, even if it was improbable to her own sense of survival. The kicking, screaming need to live on was the strongest thing anyone could ever feel. How had she done it, then? He was grateful, then, to see that she was conscious. Fallon's breath hissed from his mouth, expressing the abating relief he hadn't known he'd been holding in. He would speak to her on the subject when it was appropriate. It was not something he could let go, to remain unsettled.

Again, Fallon resumed his watch, like a ruffled owl, as Nica worked tirelessly at saving Lilith's life. With mounting suspicion, he believed that she would not make it. Her wounds were disastrous. Her organs were bared to the world, soundless, unmoving. It was cruel. Slowly, Fallon reached out with one hand and brushed her hair back behind her ears. She would've hated that. That was probably one of the things he'd miss the most about her. Her quips could cut to the bone. Hadn't they just met days ago, or weeks? It was ludicrous. These feelings. But what was wrong with suffering, except for the fact that no one deserved to suffer at all, when it shouldn't have ended this way in the first place. It shouldn't have. Finally, the two villagers finished binding his arm around his chest with clean bandages and tarried on, leaving him alone with his thoughts. With the images of Nica's bandages, and her small hands, plunging in and out of Lilith's open chest, drenched in fresh blood. They would not hear Lilith's voice again, and that, perhaps, was the most painful thing to imagine. His groping, useless fingers caught hold of the shiny flask that had been rolling about the waggon. Her flask. Fallon turned it around in his fingers, careful not to drop it, before unstopping the lid with his teeth and sloshing a mouthful of the inebriant liquid down. In such a way that only Elves would understand, he held the smooth, cool flask against his forehead, mumbled something incomprehensibly and passed it along to Lucas. To Snow. To Amaryliss. To those still awake, still conscious.

For Lilith.

The wrongness of reappearing before Litatio struck him, hard. Images flashed through his mind; images of a happy, vibrant woman announcing that she'd just burn the damn building down if Litatio didn't cooperate, right this instant. It hadn't been long ago when the Redeemer's stood, impatiently, in this exact location, gawking at the architecture because it had been, admittedly, impressive. That she's dead, now, is too difficult to comprehend. He blamed the disgusting wretch surrounded by his papers and parchments and pens. It was his fault. All tight-lipped and tongueless, Fallon couldn't even bring himself to grapple onto Lucas awkward riposte. Everything seemed lopsided. As if they were on a ship that was already half-sunk, barely keeping it afloat with buckets and pails and cups.

Fallon wanted to hold onto something steady, something irrefutably concrete. It was a strange, unfamiliar sentiment. One that he tried to bury and ignore, leave blubbering in the wastes of everything else he was feeling. Exhausted with shame. Fatigued, dragged down with guilt. He could near hear his companions, could not tell the difference between their individual footsteps or take comfort in the sounds of their breaths, combined, separated. He noticed Lucas beginning to speak, once more, to Amaryliss, and lifted his head to observe them. A small smile, brittle-boned, and fragile, eased it's way across his lips. It fit like an awkwardly placed puzzle piece. “I'm sure.” He began, lightly, promising awful things. “That his office will be the least of his concerns.

Yonbibuns
Member for 14 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!