Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A bit upset about this...

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

A bit upset about this...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TehZach on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:35 pm

Okay since I can't send a PM without the required 10 posts (Which IMO is utterly ridiculous), i'm afraid I'm going to have to put this here.

I spent at least half a week creating a detailed character profile for my bounty hunter character in NotSoHeartless' RP Wierd West, I submitted it and now I've been told since there was already a bounty hunter character there that I'm expected to tweak mine to make my character a criminal. Um....WTF.

Ok for starters, it would be highly unlikely that there would be ONE bounty hunter in the entire earth which encompasses this rp. Much less only ONE after this group of criminals.

Second of all I wasted my valuable time and have put off a few things just to make an in depth character for this rp. That is at least 4 days of my life I'll never get back. I'm pretty upset about this yeah, and I think I'm owed an explanation.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TehZach
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Re: A bit upset about this...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 pm

If you are upset about a certain roleplay, I think you'll be better off discussing this with NotSoHeartless or posting in the OOC thread of that roleplay.

I believe this 10 pm rule was created to keep spammers away.
ImageRespect ma authoritah!
Are you irritated at coming last in every single thing? Don't worry. For just a cookie, I'll be TheFinalOne.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheFinalOne
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:39 am

Yeah, as TheFinalOne mentioned, the post limit for sending PMs is a mechanic put in place to avoid spam accounts (whether a real person or a bot) from filling up people's inboxes with spam. As such, it is far from ridiculous, and works a lot more effectively than things like captchas - it'd be more ridiculous to require people to answer a captcha every time they wanted to send a PM.

Ten forum posts is an easy and quickly attainable 'achievement' - there are plenty of interesting threads you can involve yourself in: The Discussion and Debate forum has a whole host of interesting topics that are being actively discussed, or for something a little more light-hearted you could take a look at the Forum Games forum. There you can find myriad threads that only require a very short post (sometimes as short as a single word) that won't be considered as spam.

And, of course, by posting you're integrating yourself into the community which will help to make your experience here even better.

In terms of your specific grievance, it really should have been directed specifically at NotSoHeartless in a much less public arena. However, at the end of the day, the decision to accept your character or not was theirs alone. After all, it /is/ their roleplay. However, to prevent things like this happening in the future, let me give you a few tips:

1) Speak to the game master before you create your character. Let them know your ideas, confirm those ideas are suitable for the roleplay, and if needs be, reserve a spot for your character. This way you can do the work of creating a character without worrying if it'll be accepted or not.

2) Consider not taking so long in creating a character. A character only really comes to life once you start playing them and you may find that once you start playing that character that differences emerge from your initial idea. If this happens, you will only end up rewriting at least sections of the profile again. Making a less detailed, more vague profile will allow you more flexibility for when you start writing for that character. By not including everything in the profile, you also give yourself something to write in the roleplay itself - a sudden memory emerging, explanations of why your character is doing something. If everything is in the profile, it is often too easy to just write the actions your character does, without giving any depth inside the roleplay posts.

3) Realise that roleplays are not an open arena. The creator of the roleplay will generally have some specific things they want to happen or include, such as plot lines/arcs, group composition, events and character relationships. As a roleplayer in someone else's roleplay, you need to realise that the final decision on most everything is with the GM. Flexibility is key as not everything will go your way. You can, of course, create your own roleplay where you can dictate everything, which is fine and encouraged.

4) The Multiverse is the main 'open' roleplay on the site, where everyone can join without the need for character acceptance. It is a healthy mix of all genres where any type of character is completely welcome, and each character's history and canon is integrated into the Multiverse's so you don't need to make any adjustments at all. If you find a character has been rejected from a roleplay, it doesn't have to have been a complete waste of time; just put that character into the Multiverse and you can play it. Heck, you can put them in the Multiverse even if they ARE accepted.

Hopefully that helped.
Lord Saladin
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 am

I apologize for the issues you may have with our anti-spamming policy, but it is there for good measure. Between Discussion & Debate as well as Forum Games, getting you ten posts is extremely easy to do.

As for the issue with the particular RP, you need to discuss this issue either in the OOC thread for the game or privately with the GM of that GM. The GM has the right to accept and reject characters to his/her game as he/she sees appropriate. I suggest that you take up the conversation with them there as it is likely they would have never seen this thread.

As there are already a number of threads related to the anti-spamming PM measure and this isn't the appropriate place to air grievances about character acceptance in a single RP, I'm going to lock this thread. If you have any questions, feel free to contact a Global Moderator. Thanks.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!