Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat β€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Do your characters change you?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Do your characters change you?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 pm

(Note this thread was originally a post for the quotes thread however I felt there was enough in it to justify a discussion)

I have been reading my old characters... not much else to do at the moment but it was nice thinking of all the fun I had with some of them.

A particular character touched my heart and made me realize what a potential he has for independent projects of story telling. Originally I had decided the character was too burdened by personal history to function in a Roleplay however I now know I was wrong and this character had so much left to offer besides that very history which I now plan to utilize.

Before his death this character transmitted one last message to his comrades and I thought out of probably misplaced idiotic and illogical sentimentality to share it here... I do not know why i feel that way considering a character is just an invention of the imagination.

Then again, our characters as creative writers are by a manner of speaking an extended part of ourselves. Maybe it is the recognition of this element which creates such a feeling but I wonder if maybe there is a more direct reason.

While Scrolling down looking at my characters I have noticed that from begging to end each character represented a different period of my life. A lack of a journal or dairy have left me with no other way to connect to my previous self other then this. Horrible as some of the writing may be I can't help but feel the characters not only as these characters but also as myself and my thoughts... so long forgotten now partially remembered as if an echo over a vast ocean of the shapeless currents of the mind.

Some of these characters of course are useless, pure technical creations of no purpose other then a function however some seem to posses a flame or at least the darkened remains of wood long burned and left to decay in the earth rain and mud. My real point here... that is if I truly have one is to share our thoughts of long abandoned ideas and concepts.

Have you ever went through your old characters? If not I suggest you do when you can. What where your thoughts as you did so? did you see a hall of skeletons? did you see a fire glittering among the eyes and ether whispered or shouted Halleluiah! This idea may yet be of use? or did you feel an old familiar presence of your own being... lingering on without memory remembered for a short moment before drifting away to shores unknown?

Its only been about a year or two since I joined however already it appears this site has greater uses other then interaction with others, to me it seems we also end up interacting with ourselves.

... And I almost forgot to put up the quote I had intended to! well here it is: "carry on Fighting, carry on crying, carry on smiling but for heaven's sake carry on living" - Unit Commander Peter Ray Davidson, deceased.

If I am just ranting/ trolling nonsense be sure to criticize me so that I may feel ashamed of my self for having wasted my time and worse still yours. However If you to feel something similar to these ideas us roleplaying writers seem to create and then leave behind, do please share your own experience. We may gain nothing out of this at all... but who knows, maybe there is something.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Do your characters change you?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Writing directly is difficult, especially if you are intending to write fiction. It has to come from somewhere. Certain metaphors are more appealing than others, and thereby reveal your mental state.

(Sorry for the short reply.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The_13th_Doctor on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Some do, some don't. Some characters are from my heart, really expressing something I feel/want/need, while others are... stage dressing.

There is one though... one character I made for a D&D game way back in the day... that character, and the things he went through during those campaigns really crept into my heart, and since then that character has been at least peripherally part of every serious story I tell. The character wasn't me... but I so loved the character he was, and the man he became, that, in essence, that character became my role model. Instead of taking my life situations and applying them to his life though writing, I more than once learned valuable life lessons while writing his stories. The effect is even more profound when others are involved.
Just do what I do: Hold on and pretend it's a plan!

The_13th_Doctor
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 pm

I cant really say since most of my characters are creepy, homocidal or just strange. If there is a character that had changed me, then I dont remember him. I have made like 1000 roleplays because it would be nice to be constantly occupied, but sadly the other players roleplay do not interest me much since they are either social interaction chit-chat highschool roleplays or fanfic roleplays.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:57 am

Not really but maybe that's because I'm a poor writer. I prefer GMing so I guess some of the stories and situations I develop could be reflections on what I feel.

I don't "like" my characters, for example the Doc said a character crept into his heart that doesn't happen with me and I'll kill them the second it makes sense plot wise. I think some of them are cool like there is the big bad in an RP I'm running now who's called Gretch. He's completely insane and writing him is fun but he's gotta die some time, I haven't decided which of my RPers will get to do it. I guess the point is the longer you have a cool character the more opportunity there is for you to screw it up and for them to become lame or a parody of your original intention. Like I said I'm not a great writer.

Sometimes though I'll hit on a setting or character I think can be adapted into an original story but most things I come up with I just RP because I like being creative with others.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:00 am

I think every story we read may contain something we learn something from. Stories we write are also stories we read, especially when we write them together with others. So it’s only natural that some of our characters change us.

I think some of my characters have sides that are consciously or subconsciously inspired by things I have been thinking about. Other characters are simply designed to fit a role in the story and/or to be a bit crazy, but many I would put in that category were in RPs that didn’t last long enough to develop them.
I can keep myself sane because I’ve got my candy gun!

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The_13th_Doctor on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:27 am

Bosch wrote:I don't "like" my characters, for example the Doc said a character crept into his heart that doesn't happen with me and I'll kill them the second it makes sense plot wise.

To clarify, that character actually has died three times, because the story he was involved in required that he die in some way or another. It's like this... you know the theory about alterate realities, and the idea that there are copies of you in each of those realities? That's the way it was with this character... he stays dead in the 'world' in which he died (mostly... you know D&D can be), but it's not the character, but rather the character of the character that crept into my heart, so he keeps popping up in other worlds, with a different life, but always the same qualities that make him 'him'.

I will admit that upon two of his deaths, I shed some tears.

The_13th_Doctor
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TCDinNYC on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:34 pm

I believe that writing certain characters does impact you, to an extent. If you am a writer then creating every little piece and researching (hopefully) how certain things work together, I believe it can make you wiser. Although, a lot of it would come down to the genre you are writing, romance would make you sappy, while comedy would make you light hearted. I think writing and reading a book do affect your personality.

TCDinNYC
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby riddle_me_thisx on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:16 pm

I find my characters do tend to leave a mark on me. For instance, one of my characters tends to used a lot of slang ('munted', for instance, is a favourite word) and sometimes I'll find myself using such phrases in real life.
Another of my characters adores red jelly tots. I've always liked them, but now I find it especially difficult to walk past them in a shop, haha.

riddle_me_thisx
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black Hoodie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Just seeing anything happen for a second changes you, thanks to neuroplasticity. In that regard, technically all of our characters change all of us.

In a more sensible and non-hacked answer, for me, no. There are characters I really enjoy. I could write volumes about each and every single one of my characters. I can put myself in their shoes, I can feel what they feel. But do they change me? I broaden my perspective when I learn to be somebody else maybe. But do they alter my core values any? Nope. Once I walk away from the keyboard, I basically forget everything about them until I am ready to write again. Maybe I have a few daydreams about the what's going on with them, but that's only when I'm bored and have so much time on my hands I have nothing better to do than imagine the interactions my character has with other PC's and NPC's.
I was formed in the shadows, in the void faster than light. Sheathed in darkness, the world expands, and I feel at home in a mystical place. When I close my eyes, and the void envelops me, I can fly, I can breathe in water and vacuum, I can change my shape and go anywhere I please, anytime I want. No information escapes me, for there was none to fall away in the first place; there is only peace.

Black Hoodie
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TCoS on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:52 am

No, mine don't. They are a figment of my own mind. Others, if well written, can however.
Is now King of Biscayne on RPNation.

TCoS
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chrian. on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:48 am

My characters reflected some of my personality, and some features that I've never showed to anyone. So yeah, I guess they don't really effect me or stuffs like that

chrian.
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby broheim on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 am

Yeah, they all have something from me, mostly my desire to have fun, and what i believe would give me an adrenaline rush, i'll give ya a quick list:

Luce and Ombra: Female and male respectively, Ombra was a shamman that focused on destroying everything just cause, and Luce was his partner, later on, they were imprisoned in an alternate dimension on request to a death lord, throughout the story they had little character development, other than "hurr they fell in love, how cute" Ombra lost his magic, had to earn it back, Luce was imprisoned, Ombra was a bit depressed and kicked everything between them to hell and back, and a bunch of other stuff that is way too long, the setting was a magical earth.

Atrocity: mad as fuck, real name unknown, did everything just cause, was knocked out for a while and got jailed and escaped with his cellmate, his cellmate later wanted to undergo the same treatment Atrocity went trough, the story was never finished, the setting was a very advanced earth.

there were three more, but i don't remember them too well.
I'm by no means a good player, i'm a bastard in every aspect. And i can't write for shit.

broheim
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby blackrider on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:10 am

not at all honestly, just a role

blackrider
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!