Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

War Dance On the Golden Trail

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

War Dance On the Golden Trail

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Forward

Greetings To you all Friends, Roleplayer's and Countrymen, While I am increasingly busy with RL activities I decided that a lack of imaginative activity could be a serious threat to my sanity and decided to take action.

This story I have in mind one of a particular type I have been meaning to experiment with for sometime namely Science Fiction and/or Science Fantasy.

I have always had a fascination with this field of writing but I have long held a great deal of reservation of actually writing anything of the sort, My reasons among others which no words may express are quite simply my dislike for the expectations for realism and scientific credibility demanded by Science fiction in the current era. To me the field holds too many laws and restrictions but just this once I have decided to try it, I will try to make a setting which makes sense in its own laws but I will not be paying much attention to the RL laws of science or many of their fictional counterparts.

As I am new to this field of writing I have decided to state those books which will inspire my own writing, While many inspirations can't be tracked down to their sources I will be using a number of books as creative sources if I ever need them while writing.

My main inspiration is the fairly open Universe of Treasure Planet; While I will not be copying the idea of wooden ships with solar sails the somewhat classical tone of the Treasure Planet Computer game Battle at Procyon will be a dominating force in this story. Since there is very little to go on from that universe my only available source is the game's user manual which holds a few items of interest, Anything i use directly will not have its name changed; for example as i happen to like the name Procyon who are a faction in the game so i will be using the name in the story. The Treasure planet film has no consequence on this story, only the artwork and law of the game ignited a spark in my imagination when I was a young child and as a result only the game shall have any baring on this story.

Other books i shall be using as creative sources are as follows: Midshipman's hope, Challenger's hope, Rendezvous With Rama, The Wreck of the River Of Stars, Endar's game and possibly some minor elements from Doctor Who, Star Track and others.

I hope you Enjoy this story which I am about to write... I hope that this story will Inspire me to greater efforts in this field while entertaining its readers. I should have the first chapter of story up in an hour or so depending on how long it takes me to write it and if i fall asleep while i am writing it.

UPDATE: rather tired truth be told so i will not be posting for the next three hours... need to have a few hours rest. Sorry about that chaps but i have been rather busy as of late.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: War Dance On the Golden Trail

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 am

Form Ranks! shouted Harold as he noted with growing horror Commodore Powers sudden arrival, the day had been difficult enough as it was and the last thing Harold and the rest of the cadets needed was a surprise inspection by the Commodore.

It was too late, As the Commodore marched into the barracks along with his retainers he had only a disorganized rabble to greet him. A few moments passed until the rest of the cadets woke up to the reality of their situation, already tired from the day's exercises few expected such a cruel breach of tradition; the barracks was traditionally a place of refuge for the cadets where they could relax at least for a mew moments... but Commodore Power's was hardly a man of tradition and in the brief few months since he had taken over from the last headmaster Power's had managed to make himself quite hated... and feared by most of the academy's population.

Even members of staff and instructors where fearful of the Commodore's attention, Harold silently cursed the old bastard but was hardly surprised at the Commodore's surprise inspection; after those imbeciles at group C managed to royally botch up today's maneuvers a surprise inspection seemed to be the least of their worries.

Silence soon ruled supreme in the Barracks as the cadets some of them turning white noted the grave peril they faced, the Commodore walked slowly among the now scrabbling ranks of cadet's and their officers; The officers where also students in the academy but unlike the majority of cadets had proven to be of a more capable sort and thus given the right to command... and sometimes torment their lessors.

The commodore was not one to show his emotions however the keen of eye could note his mood by the stance of his walk and its speed, if the Commodore walked in a fast pace it meant that he was simply angry however in his current slow calculating pace of walking only one conclusion could be made; the Commodore was furious and vengefully so.
YOU ARE THEE MOST MISERABLE GOD FORSAKEN BAND OF HALFWITS I HAVE EVER SEEN! Roared the Commodore confirming this observation.

More then anything Harold wanted to avert his gaze from the Commodore but knew that if he or any other as much as blinked they would be facing much more then mere words and hazing. No one even those bastards in group C made such a foolish move, all the cadets in the academy knew too well the fate of those who disobeyed this unwritten rule. The Commodore hated weakness but more then that he despised cowardice and to Him those who could not stand to gaze at him could not be trusted to dress themselves let alone serve in the Fleet, to those who where foolish enough to bring his wrath upon them in such a way even a punishment as harsh as a caning was a blessing.

The commodore walked among the ranks bringing his infamous death stare to bare on each and every cadet, Harold thanked Neptune he was not in the front row and silently prayed he would be able to pass the day unscathed.

If it where up to me I WOULD HAVE YOU ALL PUT IN IRON'S AND SEND YOU IN A ONE WAY JOURNEY TO THE MINES OF LUNA 8, MAYBE THEN you would FINALLY LEARN TO RESPECT THIS FLEET! MAYBE THE CONVICTS SLAVING AWAY DOWN THEIR WOULD TECH YOU TO THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS FOR YOUR GOOD FORTUNES! IN FACT YOU MAKE ME WONDER WHO WOULD BE THE BETTER OFFICERS FOR THE FLEET!
shouted the Commodore at the unfortunate cadets in group G who had one of their number blink at the wrong moment and place. The words where truly villainous; only the worst scum of humanity found their way to Luna 8 Death mines and to compare even a lowly cadet to those filth was something only Commodore Power's would resort to.

THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR PONCING AROUND! THIS IS THE ROYAL NAVY and with Neptune as my witness i will not have you make a laughing stock out of MY Academy!

YOU DISGUST ME! ALL OF YOU! finished Commodore powers clearly distressed and angered by the day's affairs, closing his eyes for a moment Commodore let out a long sigh before returning his gaze to the cadets, this time with only a look of despair in his eyes.

This is not a game, it matters.... said Commodore Power's quietly but for all to hear before once again unleashing his rage to one last frightful roar

ALL OF YOU PUT ON YOUR SUITS AND GET TO YOUR KITS! BATTLE EXERCISE WILL COMMENCE IN 5 MINUTES AND BE THANKFUL TO THAT! IN YOUR FINAL EXAMS YOU WILL HAVE TO BOARD YOUR CRAFT AND LAUNCH IN LESS THEN TWO!

At first stunned by the announcement the cadets took a few seconds to remember their predicament and rush their stations losing precious time. Two exercises in one day? Harold cursed loudly enough for other's in R group to hear and join him, rushing ahead to their stations Harold wondered if he would even any sleep on this day.

(Sorry for cutting this short but i have classes to attend to, i will add to this once i am able; this is by no means he end this chapter, i will also correct my writing mistakes then but for now i really have no time )

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!