Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Weird Idea . . . the LARP that became real

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Weird Idea . . . the LARP that became real

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:06 pm

Now, shoot me down if this is stupid. But I just had an idea:

A roleplay based around a group of LARPers (Live Action Role Play) who conduct fairly normal lives, there would be a background idea on the person you play, then a background on that persons LARP character.

The twist is, one day, one way or another (reasons I will not disclose until they happen) they start to realise events in the LARP story and actions they perform are starting to become real, affecting actual events in their local area. One way or another the roleplayers find themselves thrust into a rapidly growing problem where events and characters of their LARP are becoming reality. They find that they themselves are adopting the appearance and abilities of their characters and have little choice but to go about their lives as best they can whilst the world goes mad.

No longer are their weapons rubber, no more do they call out the names of abilities and pretend the results. They start to realise as events unfold that their characters are merging with themselves, the thin line between player and character are blurring and their abilities become real.

This RP would be centered around the players reactions to what is happening to them, also around the balance of 'good' characters and bad. Perhaps those who had played a bad character before, or a monster find themselves becoming that character. Perhaps those who no one ever thought would do a bad thing realise their new power is a way to control things for their own selfish good.

Whichever choice the players choose, they find themselves well and truly stuck in a rapidly changing world of strange fantasy (though it could be a sci-fi LARP or whatever) where their previous harmless fun has real consequences.

Just a strange inspiration that struck me XD I'd be looking for maybe six or eight characters. Some may have been playing monsters when reality changed, or some may have been playing heroes. Possibly some of the monster players find themselves simply trapped in a horrid or 'evil' body and are trying to get through to the players that they are not bad at all. Perhaps people that no one ever expected to do bad things abuse their power and become evil.

This would be a group of friends, who have been LARPing together for some years. This is not some teenage horror roleplay and characters could be any age, but one way or another they have all been friends through LARP for some time before events change everything.

Bottom line is, I'm not lookign for god modding or power players. Also anime pictures of characters are heavily, heavily discouraged as are photos. Written descriptions are necessary but need not be terribly overcomplicated, and in any case I want a written background of your idea.

With your LARP character, post the kind of costume they wear, and what rubber weapons they utilise. They may end up slightly changed when the events happen, depending on how they act and what happens to them. But they will mostly end up with abilities similar to their LARP character. How they go morally is up to them.

Possible character ideas I was musing were:

Ref. (or gamemaster)
This would be one of the LARP supervisors, who previously created adventures or simply kept the LARP fair. They would find themselves developing abilities to control certain actions of others, or maybe create things from nothing.

This is a confrontational character, who would either be working against the players or working against those who were abusing their power. They perhaps think they're doing good, or know they're not and revel in their new power. Who knows?

Misunderstood Monster
This would be a LARP player who perhaps often chose to play the monsters, or was doing so when events changed them. They are trapped in a body not their own and are probably outcast by the group, even hunted as 'evil'. Perhaps a character turned bad embraces them and twists their mind to do bad things. Either way this character would just be trying to make their once friends realise they're still the same person.

Do-gooder
This would be a LARPer who had previously played a lot of good characters: eg. paladins or police officers. They find themselves really able to use their abilities and decide this is their chance to finally do something for the 'good of mankind'. They are not necessarily a snobby or cheesey individual, but simply make an effort to uphold good and save others from the bad events that are happening.

Power-Mad Player
This would be LARPer who suddenly finds themselves able to things beyond their wildest dreams. They revel in their new found license to perform feats of superhumanity. The power makes them change, they are not necessarily evil
but they start to abuse their power with little regard for the consequences.

Villain
This would be a LARP player who peviously played bad guys, or maybe he didn't? Perhaps he was a bit of a walk over and is sick of being controlled. One way or another he/she finds themselves able to exert forcible control over others, perform actions beyond normal human beings and this new found freedom causes them to do bad things to others, perhaps to further some selfish goal, get revenge for a perceived slight or previous grudge or maybe they're a little bit of a power-mad player themselves and enjoy seeing their imagination become real.

These ideas aren't actual classes you must pick from, just something to get the creative juices flowing.
Hopefully this will be picked up on :P I think it could be done really interestingly and provide a lot of fun for players. This RP is not a terribly serious one but the in character roleplaying of how people react to the changes should be done as serious reactions likely to stem from what is happening to your character.
When the end seem to justify the means, you've tried too hard to find an excuse. When 'by any means necessary' means 'violence may become necessary' you've lost sight of your goal. When people lay down and die rather than endure any more suffering, worry for the state of humanity. When people do not comment on how wrong this is, become angry at the world, because feeling that upset is too hard to bare. When people say 'you care too much' don't answer, because there is no such thing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Re: Weird Idea . . . the LARP that became real

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Diary-chan on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:18 pm

You know, I keep wishing something esactly like this would happen to me XD. It hasn't.... YET.
But anyway, I'd be willing to join.
.;A picture's worth a thousand words;.
.;But when those words are worthless;.
.;So is the picture;.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Diary-chan
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Great :P Well if you got an idea, please post it here. Basically I need a background for the person you play (real life one) and then a background idea (possibly written from the perspective of your person posting on a forum, or telling a friend :P) of your LARP character, mentioning what sort of abilities they have and what equipment they use.

I don't mind if it's a fantasy chaarcter or a sci-fi kind of one. Even a modern day idea, with guns etc. Just go with whatever you feel and It'll set the standard.

From this the character can later become changed as things turn mad :P

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Myth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:30 pm

This looks pretty awesome, dude.
I might just be interested in joining when you actually decide to act on it.
I've already got a rough idea for a character. One along the lines of the 'Misunderstood Monster'. XD

Myth
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vyrwolf on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:35 pm

I'm interested, but I'm off for the night...Count me in, though. XD

Vyrwolf
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks :D It was a random burst of inspiration, I definitely wanna do this it's just a case of how many replies I get. 'Misunderstood Monster' Oh awesome, I was hoping someone would go for that :D

Please post an idea now, a character background, and a LARP character one. I want ideas now to help shape how things go. Again, this needn't be fantasy if people wanna go for more sci-fi monsters/characters or anything. And hell, I may put more than one genre intersecting :P

But yes, post your idea now if you got time and we'll have a good old chinwag on it :P

Also, Vyrwolf; good to know :P I'm off quite soon too, night Vyrwolf! :P

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby !asgard@destroyer! on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I would totally be the over pushed, Sword welding, Black wearing, Warlock that has some control of the undead. But you should do different threads too, and every time I would be the Villian every time. (If you must know, I like being the Bad guy)

"Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you wish peace, prepare for war" - Italian proverb

!asgard@destroyer!
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:11 pm

That's cool, if you do it well the bad guy is aces :D We could maintain contact through PM as I may want you to do certain things to further my plot. If you have ideas to do with killing characters or massively changing events that needs to be run by me before posting. And of course there is the matter of not killing people if they are uncomfrotable with their characters dying.

Though I will state now there's always a risk of death just like in reality, and if there's a good reason to kill the character or they've just rushed headlong into a group of Super Killer Exploding mercenaries then clearly there's no great reason for their character to come out the otherside still living :P

But I will always PM the person first to tell them what's gonna happen and make sure they are okay with the character dying. If they've done something stupid, then I still won't force death on them but they may wanna change their post when notified, or they will die :P

And as for different threads, I guess we need one for 'bad' players who are working together, and good players working together so they can meet secretly or say things others won't know about. But a lot of GM to player activity will go by PM.

So Asgard, post an idea of your character and his/her LARP personna. If their the pushed around time, then maybe start it off as a more roguish/rebel type of LARP character, and then when things happen he ends up going bad.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angleaya Z. on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 pm

I'm in, this sounds really cool:)

Angleaya Z.
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Great :D Thankyou. Post an idea if ya got one! No rush.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby !asgard@destroyer! on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Basically he is the Brains behind the group, He knows that but everybody else doesn't but without him the team doesn't function right with out him. He was always picked on because of him being the smart one, Not to add on to it, but the bulling at school doesn't help much either. So he basically hates his friends, His life and everybody around him and the weird thing is he doesn't play the Bad guy in any of the LARP games; So he starts Dabbing In witch craft and Black Magic ultimately give him some of his powers but the rest is all your idea man.

Plus I think some supernatural forces should be going around ....

!asgard@destroyer!
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Well that's kinda what I'm saying with this whole idea of reality and the LARP blurring. Whether this is traditional fantasy or not is still to say though.

Well, okay, turn that into a background of the person and some info on his LARP character. (LARP characters name, costume, weapons and abilities. Don't do too much but just give an idea of his character)

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CosineTheta on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Well, I would join, but it seems like it would be very hard to avoid Mary-Janeage. It would be hard for RPers to be creative without being overpowered.

That, and the villain's already been called...
WatakushiwaI shall remain,
I am

AkumadeUntil the end,
A demon and

ShitsujidesuA butler,
A butler.

Kara.Completely.
That is why.

CosineTheta
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby !asgard@destroyer! on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Name: Scibryn Of the Blades (Brian Delmar)
costume: Below
weapons: Fang and Striker (The Swords) and his trusty bow and arrows
abilities: Control of the undead, Powers over Fire, Ice and lightning, Time control and healing spells

http://garuch.deviantart.com/art/Hormiak-59872312

http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/kit_rae_fantasy_swords.jpg

http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/TS-SEKRATAGNT.jpg
Last edited by !asgard@destroyer! on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

!asgard@destroyer!
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vyrwolf on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:24 pm

Alright, I'm on, and I think I'll have the power-mad charry. And, because the idea makes me giggle, he'll be fursuiting when the whole thing happens. XD I'm so mean. :B

Vyrwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby blackfire825 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:14 pm

Yo, I think I'll join. I've LARPed before(I still do) and, and I've always wanted that to happen, it'd be so cool. I think my guy would be the neutral guy,if you let me, cause I always like to be the guy who does whatever he wants, good or bad. I've always liked the idea of being neutral. My guy would most likely be either a monk,rogue, or an archer I always play those classes. When you finish the idea, or post the OOC, I'll whip up my char sheet. He'll probably be the guy who every one wants to be on their team, but afraid he'll turn on them and fight every one. I'm just throwin my idea around, if I can't be neutral, I'll probably be a power mad referee.

----------------------------------------------------------

Blackfire825
[Name: Nick Smith
Class: Archer/ Rogue
Weapon:Elven longbow, Short sword.
Appearance:Image
[Character Name:Sancho Foxblurr Character Race/Type: Djinn/Iblis
Starting Abilities:Bowman(Allows use of any bow/crossbow) , Meteor shower(Shoots arrow into air, a bunch comes down burning, looks like a mini meteor shower), Point Blank shot(Super Powered Up close shot), Meteor Shot(Arrow explodes on contact), Rogue(Adept sneaking/ use of any short sword), Charismatic(Good at haggling prices and persuasion with speech.), Sleight of Hand.
Personality: Clever, cunning, Smart, independent, silent.
Bio/Background: Nick never wanted to pick sides so no one would argue or get mad and so no one ever depended on him or relied on him, after awhile he got used to being by himself and became independent. He aways hid, so he wouldn't be seen and hurt, and without teammates he could hide a lot easier. When hiding, he needed a weapon to fight others without being revealed or getting up close and personal. So naturally he picked the bow and found out he was a really good shot with it and a very good sneak. Also he needed another weapon when he ran out of his arrows or he when he was discovered, so he picked a short sword. Though when not LARPing he is very friendly and funny. He tries to make friends with Brian(A.K.A Asgard destroyer) and everyone else that goes unnoticed and that everyone picks on and whatnot. He also sticks up for them when people pick on outcasts and whatnot.
Last edited by blackfire825 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I refuse your reality and substitute my own.

(\ /)
( . .)
(")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

blackfire825
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:44 pm

CosineTheta wrote:Well, I would join, but it seems like it would be very hard to avoid Mary-Janeage. It would be hard for RPers to be creative without being overpowered.

That, and the villain's already been called...

Well they are not getting a lot of choice in how powerful they are :P They can post abilities that they have in the LARP but how this manifests when everything becomes real will go to my own twisted ideas :P

And hey, room for more than one villain.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:46 pm

!asgard@destroyer! wrote:Name: Scibryn Of the Blades (Brian Delmar)
costume: Below
weapons: Fang and Striker (The Swords) and his trusty bow and arrows
abilities: Control of the undead, Powers over Fire, Ice and lightning, Time control and healing spells

http://garuch.deviantart.com/art/Hormiak-59872312

http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/kit_rae_fantasy_swords.jpg

http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/TS-SEKRATAGNT.jpg

That seems okay, post a background on Brian Delmar and his LARPing experience, preferably as a flavour story.

Vyrwolf and Blackfire, both your ideas are fine . . .

. . . but 'fursuiting'?

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Okay, asgard has posted his villain, but for now he will start off as a LARP character with abilities from the following list, if you can pick some of these dude. Other abilities (whatever they may be) will come in later on. I've given you a race, Djinn, basically a form of minor guardian spirit. Your type is Ifrit. Which I'll explain as the game goes on. I feel this reflected your idea 'brains of the group but people rarely realise' and the powers you want to develope.

Players This is only a list so far, still looking for more players.
!asgard@destroyer!:
Brian Delmar
Scibryn of the Blades, Character Race/Type: Djinn/Ifrit
Starting Abilities: Fencer (allows use of any sword), Bowman (allows use of any bow/crossbow), Time Delay (everyone bar user freezes for five seconds, broken if user attacks or uses an ability on another), Heal (full restoration of health to one person, works at Wakboth's discretion, bwaahaha)

Wakboth
Raymond Toole
Raphael Gulim, Character Race/Type: Malakh/Israfil (Raymond is also a Ref)
Starting Abilities: Guardsman (allows use of any long weapon eg: spear, pike, staff), Heal, Blast of Truth (wouldn't you like to know, bwahahaha), Hypnotise (as long as eye contact is held, subject is rooted to the spot and can do nothing)

Vyrwolf, for you I've given character type as al-Shaytan. This effectively makes you a Djinn too but one more prone to breaking rules.
Vyrwolf:
[Name]
[Character Name] Character Race/Type: Djinn/al-Shaytan
Starting Abilities: [???]

For you Blackfire, I'm using the term Iblis. Which basically is the neutral thing.
Blackfire825
Nick Smith
Sancho Foxblurr Character Race/Type: Djinn/Iblis
Starting Abilities: Bowman(Allows use of any bow/crossbow) , Meteor shower(Shoots arrow into air, a bunch comes down burning, looks like a mini meteor shower), Point Blank shot(Super Powered Up close shot), Meteor Shot(Arrow explodes on contact), Rogue(Adept sneaking/ use of any short sword), Charismatic(Good at haggling prices and persuasion with speech.), Sleight of Hand.

Angleaya Z.
[Name]
[Character Name and Type]

Kittycat97
[Name]
[Character Name and Type]

Current Players [5]:
(1. !asgard@destroyer!
(2. Vyrwolf
(3. Blackfire825
(4.Angleaya Z.
(5. Kittycat97
(6. Wakboth
(7.
(8.
Last edited by Wakboth on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Raymond Toole
Raphael Gulim, Character Race/Type: Malakh/Israfil (Raymond is also a Ref)
Starting Abilities: Guardsman (allows use of any long weapon eg: spear, pike, staff), Heal, Blast of Truth (wouldn't you like to know, bwahahaha), Hypnotise (as long as eye contact is held, subject is rooted to the spot and can do nothing)

Reserved space for character background.

Vyrwolf and others who haven't given character details, could you please do so and post them here, Vyrwolf and Blackfire you can edit your last posts to put in the character concept.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!