Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

What kind of Fantasy RP are people interested in?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

What kind of Fantasy RP are people interested in?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr D on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:17 pm

So I'm planning on starting up a fantasy RP some time soon and I'd like some feedback on the kind of RP people would like to see. Here's what I've come up with so far, if you can think of another kind that you'd like to see then post it. Remember, this is not to do with plot or setting so much as the general structure. We'll sort out the specifics of plot/characters later.

1) Epic

Everyone knows this kind of RP; a large scale conflict between two sides where players must take up the mantle of heroes and overcome adversity to defeat the villains, end the conflict and save the GODDAMN WORLD!

2) Quest

The other typical RP that I'm sure you're all familiar with. A group of would be adventurers are brought together by fate and wind up drawn into a globe spanning adventure to save the GODDAMN WORLD!

3) Free form

By which I mean the characters meet by chance and through chance/circumstance end up working together to accomplish... something. Basically the player characters meet up somewhere like an inn and we take it from there. Rather than there being one specific plot to follow the players have the choice of taking up any number of loose plot hooks provided by the storyteller. So basically you get to choose your own adventure.

4) Location based

Wherein the RP is based entirely in one location (a 'city of thieves' sort of setting is popular for this type of RP) where the player characters are all based. Allows for a lot more depth of setting and reccuring characters in return for a sarifice in scale and scope of plot.

So what do people think?
There was a signature here.

It's gone now.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mr D
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: What kind of Fantasy RP are people interested in?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:46 pm

A well done quest RP could be pretty fun. That style of game can work great in RP form, with the GM throwing in plot points as the story progresses, and the game essentially being a ton of different adventures that all tie in to one goal, and one plot. So I suppose that would be my vote, if you have a good plotline, go with the quest.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Culex on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:44 pm

Gabriel_Whist wrote:A well done quest RP could be pretty fun. That style of game can work great in RP form, with the GM throwing in plot points as the story progresses, and the game essentially being a ton of different adventures that all tie in to one goal, and one plot. So I suppose that would be my vote, if you have a good plotline, go with the quest.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Granted, though it is hard to create an RP that can tie multiple adventures into one plot. It needs to have an immersive world full of life as well. If you feel as though you're up to it, then go for it and I'll see if it fits my fancy.
“I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future... I consume time... And I will consume you!”

Culex
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Music on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:15 am

I'm bored and game for any of these. Especially the first three. Please let me know if you decide to start one of these.

Still, I've found that #3 works the best. Especially if the player group is small and committed to posting on-schedule, real life permitting.

Music
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DJAtomika on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 am

Free-form sounds good, though an epic sounds better to me.

Both pique my interest, and if you happen to start any, let me know.

For I, am The Darkness...

DJAtomika
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shi-chan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:30 am

I'd be interested in each of the first three, and if you start anything up, please do let me know.

Shi-chan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cretetts on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:49 am

Ya I would like to do the first free but epic sounds...epic lol

cretetts
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr D on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Great. Then I guess a Quest RP seems to be the most popular. Though I might try an Epic one in the future once this one gets off the ground.

I'll post up a few plot ideas soon to see which ones people are interested in. Or we could just jump on in and do it free form style anyway.

Mr D
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Music on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:58 pm

If anyone wants some instant gratification, I'm starting a version of #3. The link is here.

bit-fantasy-intchk-t45967.html

Please post if you are interested, because I want to get this started soon.

Music
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr D on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:14 pm

Background info to the world is up here. Don’t worry about reading it all, I know its a lot.

Looking over the various plot hooks I left available I've picked the one I feel is most suited for a quest and will be posting the RP up soon.

Mr D
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr D on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:39 pm

OK everyone. It's up.

Altaea saga: Song of the Ancients

I'll be making the first post a bit later today. In the meantime I implore you all to upload a character sheet or two. (The first post will be taking place in that most beloved of fantasy hangouts, the shady tavern.)

Mr D
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!