Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

We Who Are About to Die, Salute You {characters welcome}

a topic in Roleplayers Wanted, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Looking For Players [LFP]? Have a part to be played? Post a thread here!

We Who Are About to Die, Salute You {characters welcome}

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DieMend on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:32 pm

We Who Are About to Die, Salute You (IC):http://www.roleplaygateway.com/who-are-about-die-salute-you-t34116.html The game has begun: always accepting more characters.

Below is the info you will need if you wish to join in this game. Above is the link to the IC game thread. You may read that to get a better idea of how the game starts off. But read the recruitment info below before signing up

::OOC Game Recruitment::
"We who are about to die Salute you" takes place in Ancient Roman times, when Gladiators were labeled celebrities and often possessed more riches than did the Emperor, women had no say in anything no matter how small a subject and togas were a thing of riches. This game will be for the more mature players and is not recommended for beginners.

The game begins at the Arena just as a battle of strength is about to commence. The Emperor sits upon his mighty throne listening to the excited outcries of his fellow people and the games begin. Jailed and awaiting his turn to battle The Gladiator, is Pius Augustus. And a lovely Lucretia, seated obediently beside her husband, Servius, waits in dismay for the battle to begin.

::Resources::
http://www.crystalinks.com/rome.html
Here's a good resource for those who don't know too much about Rome, but wish to join in. Don't read too deeply into it, for this isn't a history lesson. But just to give everyone a jist of the common things in this game:
Clothing:
Common Men and Women (and slaves) - tunics (though common or poor people would not be at an Arena game, but the entire game will not take pace in just the Colosseum) and leather crafted sandals.
City Men and Women (including the Emperor) - togas (usually the Emporer may wear black or purple colored togas) and leather crafted shoes (or sandals at home). Sometimes women decorated the sandals or shoes with pearls.
Hair:
I'll leave that up to you
Urban people:
The unfortunate poor pack into small apartments, while the rich tend to live on the hills overlooking the city. Education is a hard thing to come by and the poor can rarely afford school or tutoring and merely teach their children what they can. The rich on the other hand teach their children from a young age and send them to "school" to be tutored by their educated slaves. Criminals and captives are sent to gladiatorial training schools so they may entertain in the Colosseum (Arena).
Rural People:
The slaves here in the countryside are treated far worse than those working for the rich. Most peasants tend to drift towards the city in hopes for a better life. While peaceful and quieter, the countryside is harsher on the Emperor's subjects.
Also, if you're having trouble coming up with a name, there're a few tables here: http://www.novaroma.org/nr/Choosing_a_Roman_name - Just pick a nomen and cognomen to make matters easy.

Now look, to make it fun I won't hold anyone to any actual details about Ancient Rome. I, myself, know only a little from watching shows and the like. So this will be more fantasy, but the link and info above is provided so we all can keep things on the same level. As best we can.

::Characters::
Main
Lucretia Procula (played by me) (wife to Servius)
Servius Procula (played by me) (Senate member)
The Emporer Quintus (will be played by Oran Tarlin)
The Gladiator (will be played by Kairi)
Pius Augustus(will be palyed by Adriac)

Others
Praeconina (aka Preyah) (played by Pencil_me_in) (servant)

Still available
other characters (guards, audience, locals, soldiers, etc)

For now, these are the six main characters, but others are always welcome and encouraged. This roleplay will not always take place in the arena, but it will be based around The Gladiator and battle. Lucretia and Servius will be played by me. As for the other characters, their backgrounds must lead them up to this point in the arena where the battle will ensue. I'd like to keep the main character's names the same, but if you really wish to change one for whatever reason, let me know.

::A few quick rules for my game::
1) Do NOT post in the IC thread until you've posted your sheet and I've accepted it. Please.
2) These main characters must be assigned before the game will begin: The Emporer, Pius, The Gladiator and Cornelia. Who-so-ever wishes to play them, fill out a sheet and post here. I'll post here and update this recruitment with whatever characters are left. There is no limit to how many guards or other people can be played, but let me know what type of character you will be playing.
3) As this will be a public forum, keep the material PG13. If anything more mature rises within the game play, it can be taken elsewhere, such as PM. Blood and gore is fine (naturally there will be violence in Rome). Foul language is acceptable as well. Romance is encouraged, but keep R-rated stuff in PM.
4) No God-modding. Please, be fair. Granted, The Gladiator is almighty and the best fighter around, but I ask of the player to not go killing off Pius with one blow (or at all! :)). These 5 characters are the main characters, so no one needs to die just yet. Be fair. (also see Rule #7)
5) No short posts. You needn't write a novel, but make it descriptive and imaginative and add some of your own plot twists. There is no "set" plot, although there are some things I wish to see happen here, but it's up to everyone playing to see how it turns out. If you know you won't be able to post for more than four days straight, let me know. I ask that no one just up and disappear from the game.
6)Don't litter the forum thread with OOC questions or comments. If you have any concerns, questions or comments, please pm me and leave the forum thread for IC only so it flows nicely.
7)No autos. My biggest pet-peeve when engaged in any battle. Don't ASSUME your hit made contact with the other person's character. My rule of thumb: always "aim" your attacks. The other person must have a chance to dodge or take the hit. Then it's their turn to attack or do what they must. Hopefully everyone knows what Autos are.
8 )Please watch your spelling and grammar. I don't want it to look like my cat is roleplaying, k?
9)If I think of anything else, you'll know about it.

-------------------------------------------
::Here's what I'll need::
Character Name (if one of the main characters, who?):
Sex:
Short Description (or pic):
Short Bio:
Personality:

--------------------------------------------

::My characters::
Character Name: Lucretia Procula
Sex: F
Short Description (or pic): Flame-hued hair down to her waist (usually secured in a braid), strong and dominant blue eyes, curvacious and healthy, 5'5"
Short Bio:Lucretia was a gentle creature with a good heart and a solid mind. Although she may not be allowed to speak her mind, her eyes speak in turn for her silenced opinions. As a child, Lucretia spent a great deal of time studying and enjoying nothing more than delving into great literature. Her mother taught her to clean and although she (Lucretia) was not aloud to be tutored (only boys were allowed), her father taught her to read and understand the tomes of knowledge and enlightenment he bestowed upon her. As she grew close to the age of marriage(14), her father set her dowry and she was to wed a wealthy handsome man - Servius. Love and honor grew between them (at least for her) in their years together and she began to cherish only him. Two years later, a tragic fire took both her mother and father and left her bereft. Now 21, and 7 years wed to Servius, she's finding it more difficult to love and honor her husband for he has a nasty jealousy streak. And she's finding that she has quite a temper.
Personality: Well now, that's rather difficult to describe. Once a sweet light-hearted young woman, she now possesses a nasty temper at times, thanks to living with a jealous and tempermental husband. It can bring out the worst in anyone. But she naturally has a kind heart and would do anything for her closest friends.

Character Name: Servius Procula
Sex: M
Short Description (or pic): Tall and lean (at 6'4"), black mid-length hair, close-shaven beard, piercing green eyes
Short Bio:a well educated and stubborn man, he knew he had to have his dear Lucretia. Years older than her, he cared not. She was a flame-haired beauty and was created just for him; or so he thought. After their marriage began and he finally had her to himself, he believed Lucretia to have some doubts. Although she was always willing in their bed and more than ever worshipped the very ground upon which he walked, he couldn't help but think she would leave him and that her parents were the cause of her doubts. And so he'd killed them. With no other family, she'd have no where else to turn. And so he'd consoled her in her times of grief and began to see her blossom into a loving wife. But always with him are those doubts that she will someday leave him. He makes sure she is with him every moment of the day.
Personality: Nasty of temper and jealous by nature. He shows mercy only to those close to his side, but even they know not to cross him. Though he still possesses love for Lucretia, his jealous streak gets in the way of his feelings and ability to love her fully and treat her kindly.

-----------------------------------------

So, post your sheets here and any questions you may have. I'll update this as the characters are taken.
Last edited by DieMend on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Don't make me chase me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DieMend
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: We Who Are About to Die, Salute You {OOC Sign Ups}

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pencil_Me_In on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:52 pm

Character Name: Praeconina (Prah-CO-Nee_ah) or "Preyah"
Sex: Female
Status (that is, royalty or commoner): Servant
Short Description (or pic):Image
Short Bio: Preyah is the daughter of a fallen gladiator. When she was only eight she witnessed her father slain in battle. Her mother was then claimed as the wife of the man who killed her father, Rufus Hammer-Hand. Rufus is a cruel man who is well known in the arena . Having no need for Preyah, he sold her to the palace to buy his freedom. He now serves the emporer by fighting against gladiators in the Colosseum while Preyah lives as a servent in the palace.
Personality: Preyah is outwardly a very timid and quiet girl. She suffered her days of abuse when she was younger, now she avoids trouble by simply keeping her mouth shut. However, in her mind she is as free as a bird who flies far above the reach of the Emporer. Her imagination serves her well. It is her only escape from the cruel world she lives in.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Pencil_Me_In
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 pm

Alright then, the emperor. Although I don't know if you wanted any specifics to him, I just sort of summoned up something.

Name:
Imperator Quintus Sallustius Dento
Sex:
Male
The Princeps! The Invictus! The Emperor of Rome.
Short Description:
Short Bio:
Quintus was born an emperor, and lived like one his entire life. He was taught to understand the nuances of Greek and Latin by poets and scholars. He was taught how to handle himself with dignity and poise fitting for his position. He was told battle strategy and economic tactics. He understood the world, but only experienced luxury and joy. He became a great fan of gladiatorial combat, particularly involving exotic animals. He went to battle an insignificant force in Asia Minor so that he could wear a fantastic purple toga adorned with pearl, and be given the name "Undefeated." He developed an astounding sense of what the people want to hear, and the image and standards which they set for their emperor.
He never liked the Senate and its bureaucracy, but attended the meetings he was required to for the sake of image. He is considered slightly delusional, as he believes he is the son of a Nymph, and therefore the most fantastically beautiful creation on earth. He enjoys commissioning statues to show his wonderful physique and glorious posture and mozaics depicting his uneventful battle in Asia Minor.
Many people worry that Quintus will die before he bears a son. Though he has many consorts and slaves, he has never had any interest in marriage. An empress is absent from his bedchamber, though women certainly aren't. Many a satirist has claimed that having a child might lead to another person "As beautiful and stunning as himself" and that would detract from his ego. This may be true.
Personality:
Despite his addiction to lavishness and comfort, Quintus is a very troubled man. He learned early that appearances and reality don't have any connection, and developed a distinct madness. The battle he fought, though he lost only five men, stuck with him, and the only way he could remove the image of impaled bodies was to glorify it and make it seem like a history book. This is utterly unfitting for a Roman, and certainly not right for the emperor. He has taken a highly businesslike view of the world, assuming that all battles will lead to no loss of life, and when reporting, Generals have been taught never to mention the number of fatalities in a battle to the emperor.
And yet, no amount of inner pain is shown. He is vain, he is powerful, but he is a master at propaganda, and ultimately, that's all that matters.
Last edited by Oran Tarlin on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DieMend on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Pencil: Very nice, Approved.

Oran: lol, post a sheet for the Emporer and I'll let you know. By the way, Servius (Lucretia's husband) is the one who's jealous and tempermental, although I suppose Emporers are as well.

Remember, the main characters must be signed up for, before any IC play can start.

DieMend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pencil_Me_In on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Let me know if you need a second skelie from me.

Pencil_Me_In
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DieMend on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:24 pm

Oran: Emporer Quintus approved.

Pencil: Skelie?

DieMend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pencil_Me_In on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:27 pm

Ha...sry. A second character sheet.

Pencil_Me_In
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DieMend on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 pm

lol....that's up to you, really. Any character is up for grabs.

DieMend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pencil_Me_In on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:28 pm

This isn't dying is it?

Pencil_Me_In
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DieMend on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 pm

God I hope not. I was looking forward to starting this one. *le sigh* I'll give it another day or two and if no one else shows interest, I'll scrap it, or we can go ahead and I can npc some characters...or something :(

DieMend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KairiBlueBerry on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:26 am

Well I suppose I'll try my hand...this does sound interesting...and I really do love fighting and politics rps. I am a well seasoned fighter and if no one minds that I take a spot so lofty as The Gladiator, I humbly submit my Bio.

Name: Geta Domina
Sex: M

Short Description: A tall bald, brown skinned man with broad shoulders. He has a meager frame, and it's clear to see he is underfed, but has hearty muscles bulging in his arms and legs.

The son of a Libya Woman and a Roman knight, spent most of his early childhood in North Africa. Because Geta's ancestors were Roman citizens, he was entitled to be educated in Rome. For a time he studied amongst the best philosophic minds from both Greece and Rome. During his studies Geta was remarked as one of the greatest and most eloquent orators of his time.

However, shortly after the execution of Plato, Geta suddenly left the school of thought, to pursue a different course of life. He had become afraid that his study of the theoretical would make it impossible for him to enjoy the living world. He disappeared for three years into the underbelly of Rome, giving up all material possessions to live a hard life as a simple laboring peasant. When finally he was inevitably captured for the gladiatorial schools, no one could have ever expected to capture more than a poor black peasant.

Personality: Geta is intelligent, but he is not wise. He has a dualistic nature in the fact that he acts with logic, but is not above his male passions. He is charismatic and has a way with words, but too easily finds the company of women and wine.

KairiBlueBerry
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DieMend on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Kairi: Very nice and I wasn't expecting The Gladiator to be black, but I like it. Should make it very interesting. Approved.

Now, we need a Pius and Cornelia to get the game started, seeing as how it begins in the arena. But I would also like other characters such as Pencil's. Even some guards would be nice.

DieMend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Adriac on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Character Name (if one of the main characters, who?): Pius Augustus
Sex: Male
Status (that is, royalty or commoner): Jailed
Short Description (or pic): Pius Augustus is a rugged looking man, with a short, rough beard and longish messy hair that goes down his neck and covers most of his cheeks. He is about 5'11 and weighs close to 180 pounds, mostly muscle. He is fairly well built. His hair is a dark brown, and his eyes are green and brown. He has a resigned look since being jailed, but was known to have an energetic look beforehand.
Short Bio: Pius was jailed for attempting to start a rebellion within the walls of Rome. He is an ex-soldier who did came home to nothing, and rounded up other veterans like him. When about 12 others had joined him, they raided an armory and stole weapons and armor..they almost escaped. City guards surrounded them and everyone except Pius surrendered..he killed one guard and maimed another before being taken prisoner. Now he sits in his cell waiting for the inevitable future, to be put in the Arena against men who like him have fought their entire lives. Even if he lives, Pius knows that his life is over.
Personality: He used to be a friendly man, full of energy and passion. He was a bit of a romantic, dreaming of returning to Rome to be given land and an oppurtunity for marriage and a family. Because his dreams were stripped of him, and he is now in prison for his treason, Pius has become a mostly silent man who sits in one place all day thinking of everything and yet nothing at the same time. He is resigned to life and will only choose to fight because it is all he knows to do, and will not die a dishonorable death of surrender in front of all of Rome.

Adriac
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DieMend on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Adriac: Approved. And totally how I thought Pius would be

YAY! Ok, scrap Cornelia. I want to get this damned thing started! :) Now I've already posted my intro so you all go ahead and post IC. There are a few things I want to see happen, or background info about my character that may pertain to yours (Oran, I've already pmed you about Servius) so I'll pm you guys if I feel the need to let you in on something. So, go post!

I'll keep this open for anyone else that may wish to sign up for other characters.

DieMend
Member for 15 years

Re: We Who Are About to Die, Salute You {characters welcome}

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Adriac on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Is Pius supposed to fight the Gladiator now or is that going to happen later?

Adriac
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KairiBlueBerry on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:45 pm

lol I dunno. I think this is the calm before the storm. But it'll be fun to get the fighting started. You any good at fighting in rps?

KairiBlueBerry
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Adriac on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:52 pm

Yeah, I am. Let's put on a good show. And don't kill off my character in the first part of the RP xD

Adriac
Member for 18 years

lol hey if its at all avoidable I really don't wana kill off anyone's character :P

KairiBlueBerry
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DieMend on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Yes, the fight starts now. Whenever the Emperor gives the go. And yea...try not to kill Pius right away! I have things in store for him and the Gladiator. mwahaha.

DieMend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Adriac on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Ha, we can put up a good fight and let you do your plans too. I am glad that I won't be out of the roleplay so soon.

Adriac
Member for 18 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!