Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A GM's Woes: "Why Should I Care?"

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Re: A GM's Woes: "Why Should I Care?"

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:46 am

Marionette wrote:What did you mean by "I doubt you care"?

Pretty much that it makes little sense for me to list credentials.

Other than that it's bad to be character dependant because if a player drops your RP crumbles. This can be circumvented, but because nobody ever does I advise GM's against making games character-dependant. It's a very practical advise that will make managing things a lot less stressful for GM and players. It's putting survivability and versatility on a higher rank, because I'm sure that if you've GM'd you should know that in most cases at least half your original players will drop. Most games die because of this. It's easier if characters are a medium and not the centre of the RP than to deal with taking over characters that are the centre of the RP; which takes a lot more thinking, additional motivation and improvisational ability, not to mention time. Most people just don't have all that.

Again. You're free to disagree. If you can keep games alive and bring them to a good end by doing the complete opposite of what I do; more power to you. There's simply two factors that, aside fun, I consistently see in lasting RP's; either a strong social core or a very versatile style of player management. I advocate the latter 'cause it's easier to influence.

Note that I constantly say things like "if you're taking this approach" (because, yes, of course there are others) and specifically state that having background is not vital, that there are players (and GMs, by extension) who don't care, and that I respect that. My point is not that background is important always and forever, just that it can be a seriously valuable weapon for those inclined to use it.

Okay. I can agree to it potentially being a useful tool should you choose to make backgrounds important.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: A GM's Woes: "Why Should I Care?"

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:30 am

Ahh, I see! Sorry, the internet just makes tone hard to judge sometimes, so I wanted to ask. Anyway, I think it is entirely relevant to discuss your success with certain methods. I mean, most of what we have to go on is what we've had success with in the past.

While I acknowledge that character dependency can decrease survival (although this is not a guarantee, especially if you do keep contingency plans; I've had pretty long-running games this way), it has other pros which for me make it at least worth considering. If character-dependent plots appeal to you, and they do appeal to a lot of people I know, you can make it work. There are also varying levels of character dependency; it's not an either/or matter (at least not to me). There are certainly cons, but I kinda balked at calling it "bad" in general. It's YMMV for me.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!