Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Writing partner for group roleplay

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Writing partner for group roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:34 pm

I have two story concepts for roleplays that have been rattling around in my head, but they're only concepts and need fleshed out and worked on before they can be effectively put out there for players. Also, I'm in college right now and may not always find the time to give the roleplay the attention it deserves. I do want to run these stories but I also want to be fair to the players and make them run smoothly. What I'm asking for is an equal partner to help me flesh out the concepts into something that can be presented to potential players and who has equal power over the story so that we can make sure it keeps moving.

I doubt it will end up being as simple as that, but that's the basic idea. Two people running a group roleplay together. Now, here are the two ideas that I've really been itching to work with.

1. Fantasy setting, very similar to D&D or a semi-Tolkienish world. It starts out with basic, normal heroes, similar to level-one characters to stick with the D&D references. They're picked to go forth on a mission to bring treasure, while unidentified others rumor it to have to do with weapons of great power, back from where it is said to lay and return it to the kingdom in exchange for glory, a minor financial compensation and not getting executed for disobeying a royal decree. Then there's a twist, which I'll discuss if you send me a private message.

2. Noir setting, sometimes around 1946. stereotypes abound with gruff detectives, femme fatales, mobsters and probably some Nazis. This one is in the more primordial stages here, having more of a setting than a story. And I do want to give the players room to move, not try to stuff it surrounding a single person. Unfortunately, I had started a bit of a story for this but found some massive problems with it and now am back to square one. If you're interested in co-running any story from this sort of noir setting, I'm open to suggestions and I'm sorry that I'm not better prepared.

I will only say a few more things. One is that I don't believe in bottle necking players to move the story forward. If players make choices that move away from the story or the world that's already been defined, I try to form the world and story around the player actions and not set rigid boundaries that they inexplicably can't overcome. Secondly, if we're equal partners and one feels very strongly for or against the way the other feels after the roleplay has started and the story needs to continue, we need to have a plan set in place to decide which option gets chosen. Finally, as I have already said, I'm at college and if for any reason I can't be reached or stop posting, which is something I hope doesn't happen, the co-runner would take over the roleplay completely at least until I was able to return, if not permanently.

If you are interested in running this with me, have interest in the settings or anything like that, you may reply to the topic or send me a private message, your choice. If you have a specific question that you don't think anyone else will have or that might contain plot line spoilers, please send me a private message.
"And that... Is all I can tell you." - The Bard.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

WaltJRimmer
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!