Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Xero's Movie Reviews.

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Xero's Movie Reviews.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NumberXero on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:28 am

First off, this was a spur of the moment thing. I was thinking about doing regular reviews once a week or so. Renting a movie or going to see one in theaters. To start with, I'll be reviewing one of my favorite musicals.
Across the Universe.

The movie opens with a young worker from Liverpool sitting on a beach. His name is Jude, and we're here to listen to his story all about the girl who came to stay, she's the kind of girl we want so much it makes us sorry, and still we dont' regret a single day. Jude is played by Jim Sturgess, whom may I add is a GREAT actor and an EXCELLENT singer. He sings to us the opening verse of Girl, after this a character we will be introduced to later sings Helter Sketler whilst scenes from the movie and the time era (60's) flash about the screen, ending with waves crashing done with the picture of a woman's face. We will soon be introduced to her as well. The screen fades to black then fades back in to a school dance, the camera focusing in on the Disco ball, here we see Lucy, who is played by the wonderful Evan Rachel Wood. We see her dancing with her high school sweet heart singing Hold Me Tight, the setting changes during this song back and forth between Lucy's school gym and an underground area in Liverpool with Jude. He's dancing with his fling Molly, who is also singing. The movie continues on and so does the excellent music (All songs are done either by The Beatles or a member of The Beatles).

To begin with this musical is telling two stories in one. One about our lovable main character Jude, and one showing what life was like back in the 60's. Complete with an excellent soundtrack, great actors/actresses, and an awesome plot. This musical is a must see. It is definitely a musical for The Beatles fans as well. Seeing as the movie is loaded with their music and references. Such as the character names. Jude, Lucy, Prudence, Sadie, and Maxwell (Max). Song references as well, like when Max and Jude first get an apartment room in New York, Sadie says that Max looks like a good guy, then again he could have murdered his granny with a hammer. This of course is indeed a reference to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

The fact that this musical has 34 songs in it that actually contribute to the plot and musical is amazing. That along with the great characters and cast. I love how this musical shows what people felt back then during the Vietnam War. Protesting it. Losing loved ones. Starting a new life in a bigger city. The setting, plot, everything was well thought out and this was a great musical in general. I highly recommend you guys to it if you haven't seen it already. This concludes my review of Across The Universe.
5/5 - Xero.
- Xero the prodigy.
Bás Saoire

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

NumberXero
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!