Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

21-12-2012 really the end?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

21-12-2012 really the end?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby delfiler on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:40 am

is 2012 really the end? do we really have 700 years more of our planet? is our solar system really gone hit another one? all these things can be discussed here

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

delfiler
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: 21-12-2012 really the end?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:08 am

2012 is not the end.

There is no evidence to support it, just like there is no evidence to support any other doomsday date, like the Rapture.

I'm pretty sure or have heard that 2012 was when the Mayan calender ended.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:13 am

Well i do not think any of us can see into the future and frankly why would the Mayans be able to do that ether? However maybe it will be the end... In the end does it really matter? if our end does come and there is nothing we can do to stop it then i can see only one choice; to try to be as happy as possible with our lot.
But I do not think it is the end, for all we know maybe there was a copyright dispute in the Mayan culture over the writing of the calendar and due to a lawsuit writing of the calendar was suspended? Maybe they wrote the rest of the calendar on another tablet? maybe the tablet was a prank made by a crafty priest? The truth is we do not know and that there is no point of thinking about it; if the end comes then the end comes if it doesn't it doesn't. We need to remember that the Mayans where humans like us and not the gods some people think they are.

One prediction i can make with some authority is that the selling rates of the 2012 film will increase in that date.... i think the film was quite cheap, unimaginative and boring but i suspect more people then normal will be interested in buying the film in that date.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Oh yeah, I was talking to my friend about that earlier.

Even in terms of the movie it was more like a coincidence that the world ended on that date rather than a clever prediction by the Mayans. A sort of 'Oh, the world just happened to end the same date that this particular crackpot said it would'.

I'm looking at you, rapture guy.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rarikou on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:33 am

It's actually More than the Mayans, you guys. The Hopi Indians have a few prophecies of the worlds end, one of witch mentions a blue star from the heavens crashing into earth and wiping out existence, and guess what Astrologers have recently seen?

...or so says the documentary I watched on it.

Frankly, If the Mayan's were so keen on seeing the future, then even they should have seen what was going to bring about their end and stop it, yet i don't see anyone listing 'Pure Mayan' on their voter registration card.

Even if that weren't the case, they probably got bored of writing in a calender that spans thousands of years, wouldn't you?
'The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate. Entrusing his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the Arcana are the means by which all is revealed. It matters not who you are, Death awaits you."

Rarikou
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kuroe on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:57 am

Okay, the Mayans and a lot of the civilizations like them thought that the world was going to end every single time a comet came by or there was a solar eclipse. I wouldn't put too much trust in most of the things they come up with having to do with the destruction of mankind.

Kuroe
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:32 am

Everyone is so serious about the whole "Mayan's Prediction of the End of the World" thing. Well, here's my peace about what I believe the Mayans thought was going to happen on 21 December 2012:

And here is a prediction of what our course in history may take:

Hopefully it'll put a smile on peoples' faces, before you go back to arguing over something as silly as this again.

Macabre Legion
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:54 pm

^ That's more or less how I feel about it.

There's an interesting bit I heard around, as well. The concept of the "Leap year" wasn't added until relative recently, compared to the Mayans. Since we have an extra day every four years, that offsets the mysterious date on the Mayan calendar by a lot. The 21-12-2012 date they had on their calendar would have happened months or years ago, I don't know the exact figure, but remembering leap years and how our current calendar is different than the one back then is something to keep in mind.

I still maintain that we'll never know the day that the world is going to end. The media will work itself up into a frenzy, and nothing will happen, and we'll go on with our normal lives.

Famous last words ..

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saarai on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:44 am

Yeah. The Mayans had no leap years. The date people refer when they bring up 2012 being the year the world ends should keep that in mind. The end of the Mayan calender would have happened a few hundred years ago.

And it's only the end of the Mayan long calender. They have more. Shorter ones.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Saarai
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 am

If I remember correctly, the Mayans divided their calendar in cycles. Obviously there is no need to write the longest cycle more than once.

By the way, I believe in solipsism-by-proxy. We all only exist in the mind of a boy who believes he is in an institution somewhere in the south of England. When he dies, our world ends.
(no, not really)
I can keep myself sane because I’ve got my candy gun!

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AllisonHasABucket on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 am

I don't think 2012 will bed the end.
Back in 2000, people were saying the world was going to end.
If it hasn't ended yet, then chances are slim for anything major to occur for world ending. But I like to keep the idea open about the whole Zombie 2012 therefor.. xDD

AllisonHasABucket
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Looking at it from a different perspective, statistics seem to tell us it is very improbable the world will ever end, it has never happened before. Unless the end of the world is something less than the complete destruction of the planet. Mass extinctions have happened before (even if you’re a young earth creationist: then you believe there was that flood).

We already are in the middle of a mass extinction event, lots of species have disappeared. Because of humanity. We are the end of the world.

By the way, I think 21-12-2112 is a much neater date, and being the cause I think we get to pick the official date.

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mazzyrazzy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Macabre Legion wrote:Everyone is so serious about the whole "Mayan's Prediction of the End of the World" thing. Well, here's my peace about what I believe the Mayans thought was going to happen on 21 December 2012:

And here is a prediction of what our course in history may take:

Hopefully it'll put a smile on peoples' faces, before you go back to arguing over something as silly as this again.

I enjoyed that gif more than I care to admit.
Oh god how did this get here I'm not good with computer

Mazzyrazzy
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zodiak177 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:13 pm

the world will not end any time soon ............... I've heard it all time and time again its all a bunch of bull puck and what not
FIND YOUR LIGHT AND LET IT SHINE

zodiak177
Member for 12 years
Promethean Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Well it depends on what is the definition of the word world; we humans have the cheek to call our society the entire planet some times so i will assume that is the meaning of the word.

Well there are plenty of things that can kill us but an end to humanity would require an even more massive extinction then what killed the dinosaurs. Sure there are things that could kill most of us but there will always be a few left unless life itself was made impossible... humanity is stubborn like that.

the end of the planet itself? well the sun seems to be healthy... the moon is keeping his distance... asteroids unless truly massive can't nock out a planet... i can't see any black holes near by but thats mainly because they are black and well space is rather black too.

humanity has faced a number of mass extinctions one of which only left 2000 of us around (who are our shared ancestors apparently) but we survived this that and the other so unless like i said life itself is made impossible why should we fail to survive again?

eventually the end of our civilization will come and we will plunge into a new dark age because thats how things work; what goes up must come down. but i think we are far too clever to die off without making at least a half decent effort to evade that outcome!

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 am

I’ll just leave this here. http://www.exitmundi.nl/

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Verum Umbra on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Well, I have to be completely honest...I believe that all this jazz about the world ending in December 21, 2012 is mostly from, as you probably guessed it from thinking about how it started, was all media hype and possible and all too common twisting of words. The Mayans were an older civilization that, in their belief system, believed that the world would end at some time, around the given date that we see. But, that was just where it ended. How can we really trust evidence that is hundreds, nay, thousands of years old, worn down from isolation, elements, and other factors that could easily lead to misinterpretation?

Chew on this for a second:

Have you noticed how the media and people have jumped on every possible chance they could for what could be the end of the world? Take for example the end of the world at the turn of the century in 2000. They jumped on it because it would be believable given how gullible people can be. While, a bit more isolated, it was the same with the May incident (it slips my memory whether it was this year or last, I believe it to the be latter), people believed it because there was such a big deal out of it, though it was also most likely overshadowed by the Mayan calender bit. People lost their possessions and such, because they gave it all away to friends, family, or charity so they could "prepare". Maybe I am just too cynical, but...I honestly feel no sympathy for them.

Why would you "prepare" for the end of the world. It's the END of the WORLD. Not really much of a point in gathering all your stuff and bunkering down in some hole if the WORLD (not civilization, not the economy or government, but the physical, World) is ending, is there?

Now, I am not a very religious man, but let me quote something from the Bible, from the Book of Revelations, Matthew 24:36, stating "But no one knows about that day or hour; not man, nor the angels in heaven, nor the Son...But only the Father." As I said, religion is not my thing, but this verse basically reflects my idea about this, simply put this way:

Armageddon, Apocalypse, Ragnarok...It doesn't matter what the hell you call it, it's the end of the world; when it happens, it'll happen. Until then, stopping stressing about it and enjoy the now.

That's all I got to say about that.
It's a shame for you to have lost your head...A careless man who wound up dead...You wore your sin like it was some kind of prize...Too many lies, too many lies...

Verum Umbra
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 pm

The day has come and gone and we are all still here.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby viper45 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Patcharoo wrote:There is no evidence to support it, just like there is no evidence to support any other doomsday date, like the Rapture.

Unfortunately, I must point out that there is no date given for the Rapture. The Bible specifically says that nobody can know the date or time, and it will sneak up and blindside humanity. Just so you know.
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides

viper45
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 pm

To address the thread's question. No.

To address the end of the world. No.

We should be worrying about other things than dying, because that's inevitable. So we should, in the words of Kris Allen, "Live like we're dyin'."
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!