Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Catalysts

Catalysts - Announcements Page

a part of “The Catalysts”, a fictional universe by Mr. Inkwell.

A recent scientific breakthrough found the ability to give certain people astonishing powers. The use of these powers have been either to heal or destroy, which will you be?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Catalysts”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Catalysts - Announcements Page

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 pm

This is where you can go for any main announcements for the roleplay. Please do not respond to this thread unless you are notifying me of you, (your characters), going on hiatus, or something related.
"My situation is not my choice, but the outcome will be. . ."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Catalysts - Announcements Page

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:45 am

Hopefully, with everything set the way it is, the RP should be ready to begin soon. I'd give it a week, tops. At the moment, I'm waiting on a few more characters, perhaps another participant, and working out a few of the kinks in my characters. With all of that completed, we should be ready to begin.

If you're new to this RP, and you wish to join, I'd suggest a role in the Freelance Initiative, as they're the ones holding us up at the moment.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:19 pm

For the sake of simplicity, if you join a group, go to the group OOC page and say "Joined- (Character's name)".

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:06 pm

I'd also like to ask the question of posting frequency. I don't really wanna commit people to a posting regimen, but I would like to know how often people are willing to post. At the moment, I feel like once a day or at least multiple times a week works for me pretty well. I can easily be pretty flexible, unless someone wants to post every hour.

That'd be insane.

So, I'd like to know what works best for each of you. I want your honest opinions, and I'll try and average between that. For letting me know, you can PM me, or simply switch tabs and post in The Main discussion thread. I'd like to keep this page as clean as possible.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Monday. We have a day folks, and it's monday. I suggest you flesh out characters, or converse with other writers and share ideas, form pacts, conspiracies, empires, and monarchies. Or, ya know, just wait 'till Monday. I'm still trying to tie up two or three loose ends, which is proving more difficult than I thought, but I and the loose ends have agreed to let the RP go on, for the sake of all you guys.

With that all said, I'm going to become a bit more harsh on who can, (and can not), get into the RP after Monday. Right now, I like the diversity of the characters, the odd similarities, and more importantly, the number. All to often, RP's admit as many characters as possible just to get the ball rolling, only to have one of them disappear, leading to the slow, eventual death of the RP.

In short, Monday is both the start and the end. Start of the RP, and the end of my leniency.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:28 am

Less of an announcement really, more of a personal opinion, I just thought to post it here. I wanted to hear your opinions on RP-ing with pictures. I don't mean exclusively with imagery, but with posting images in the RP post that you're writing to further show the events transpiring.

Personally, I'm against this, as I feel we should be able to successfully tell what's happening with our words, and if you're unable to explain an event without using pictures, then you most likely need to work on your writing's clarity. (i.e the focus of the events, and the order in which the events transpired). I
m not saying that everyone who uses pictures does this, and simply post it because the image goes along with what they've written.

Another reason I'm not a fan of pictures in RP posts' is because it breaks my imagery of the scene. Perhaps I imagine everything in a slightly different setting than you, or the characters I see look slightly different than the ones you see. So when you post a picture, and the picture says: "This is what she looks like", and my brain goes: "Who is that?"

So I feel that as a strong community of writers, we can easily shy away from this, or avoid it all together. And yes, I am aware that some, perhaps even most of you have a better quality of writing than I, and I find that outstanding, as I'll be able to learn what little bits I can from you all.

Anyways, this was a long, kinda' rambly post, that just stated my current thoughts on our skills as writers, (or hobbyists as some prefer to be called), and our abilities to effectively explain a scene.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:25 pm

I didn't want to make another post this soon, but this issue has begun to effectively invade my mind.

Character Limits. I hate them, you hate them, most people hate these. Sadly, there's only a certain number of complex characters like these that I can keep track of at one time. I'm not sure what this number is, and I don't want to lock any characters with potential out of the RP, as I love that moment when I switch to the Characters tab, with new faces ready for approval.

So right now, I'm going to try and keep things managed, and block off any group contain say, more than 3 characters. That gives us 21 characters to work with, (if we count unaffiliated as a group), and I feel that's more than enough.

I want to be accommodating, but I don't want this to not be fun, so I'm going to put a cap on it. After a week or so, I might decide to let new characters join, or may have to make the fatal decisions on a few. (I REALLY DON'T WANNA DO THAT). Don't feel pressured to write any better, or do any extra favors or anything, I'll probably kill off my characters first to see if that helps.

With all that in mind, there may be some exceptions to this rule, and I don't want to snuff out any hope for those just finding this RP.

On a happier note, I'll be sending a PM to anyone who has not been 'active' on this RP's OOC page on Sunday, as a reminder that we'll be starting.

As per the usual, PM me for personal responses, or post your thoughts for all to see in the discussion page.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:50 pm

No matter what, Monday we're starting the RP. If we finish up the 'loose end' sooner, we'll start then, but it seems that Monday is the date.

Also, posting will be around once everyday, or every few days when life takes over. In conversations and fight scenes, posting will be more frequent, for those that are able. Other than that, there aren't any major rules. If someone does something to your character you don't like, PM them or me. If it persists, PM me, the person will be notified, and possibly removed.

In the case of romances developing, PM the character's author you wanna flirt-up first, before trying to pull anything. With that in mind, romance is fine, but let's keep it light and fluffy. PG-13.

Usual rules for responses.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Weilacca on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:12 am

Monday sounds like a nice date to get started, I'm also fine with posting around once per day, or maybe every few days. The main problem is that I'm going to be starting university on the 21st and moving into my accommodation on the 16th of september, so I may be posting less frequently. Of course, I will leave a notification on this page stating whether I'm too busy and when I can make a post.
Either way, it should still be once a day or more as it only takes about half an hour of music and thinking for me to come up with a post.

Weilacca
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Well. This is embarrassing.

My computer recently ran into some, complications, and needs to be fixed. (Posting this from a friend's phone). Not sure how long it will be, (supposedly about 4 weeks, but who knows), so I made the executive decision that the show must go on, and I am merely a set of characters anyway.

I'll be posting a bit from the News Team after this, and I'll let you all go wild. I'll jump in as soon as I can, but until then, it'll only be you guys. With that in mind, you'll have to work-out any questions you might have with solely each-other, (not truly a problem there), and I'll try and respond to everything either through friend's tech, or perhaps public computers, but for now.

On the subject of my characters. I'll keep them "hidden". Each one is off doing their own thing.

Top Hat hasn't been established in Emperia city as of yet, so he just doesn't exist in the city.

Hunter will still be in the hospital, recovering from the severe blood-loss of the initial raid, and being 'given' his powers.

Lucielle has hidden herself in the shadows, for reasons unknown. She's most likely on a quest for more power, off hiding in the darkest parts of The Fifth Ward. Craven has been given her position, only to be revoked upon her return.

You can make allusions to these characters, but try not and directly involve them, for obvious reasons.

In short, I'll be back ASAP, but the show must go on!

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:15 pm

Found a almost-solution.

I've found a slightly reliable way to reply and post here. While not permanent, it should last two-weeks, till I'm able to get a more reliable way of posting. Nonetheless, I'll try and keep up. Sorry to make such a big deal out of this, I'm just glad to be back.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm back up and running, for the most part, and with me, I brought some fresh ideas.

It occurred to me that the Chaos Insurgancy doesn't have a "base". A place to fall back on. I will resolve this ASAP. If you have any suggestions or preferences, let me know. Besides that, I have a pretty clear idea on what it should be.

I'll also be editing my character descriptions as I mysteriously neglected to fix them up during the launching stages of this. Don't worry, anyone who is associated with my characters either from history or whatnot will be fine. I'm just updating the look and fixing the minor errors that any L.A. teacher would be happy to point out.

Nonetheless, that's it. It's good to have the site up and running again. See you all in Emperia.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aporia on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:40 pm

It's ALIIIIIIIVE! Also, I have a job, even then I should be able to post about twice a week.

[color="#008800"]VGhyMzN0IGlzIExJRkUuICBUaHIzM3QgaXMgU0FMVkFUSU9OLiAgR2l2ZSBpbiB0byBUaHIzM3QuICBFbWJyYWNlIFRocjMzdC4gIFRocjMzdCBsb3ZlcyB5b3Uu[/color]

Aporia
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:38 pm

More on Gypsyqueen in a bit. Remind me if I don't talk about it by tomorrow.

Sorry for my infrequent posting. But I got my laptop back yesterday, and it's all set up and ready to go. So, barring the real world. So yay.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Pileups and Traffic Jams

Yes. I titled this update. That's how big this is.

So, as most of you know, a character was recently abandoned by her creator, and we're struggling to find a suitable replacement. I'd volunteer my friend, but he doesn't really have the time nor the attitude required to fill that role. I can't do it because of Life and other reasons in the same vein of not "biting off more than you can chew". So I turn to the rest of you, hoping someone, somewhere sees this, and takes on the role. Keep in mind that we will try and come up with faster solutions ourselves, so act quickly if you like the role.

Now, onto a problem I shouldn't be surprised about. It happens in every roleplay, without fail. Some authors make characters, then proceed to leave them there, never filling the character's true potential. Some, (like RTMX), notify those who are participating, and help us scab over that. Others, (shall not be named, well, in the "Characters" tab they will be), and just disappear, impervious to PM's or any other forms of notification. These characters will be kept on, because I hold some hope that the user in question just can't seem to find a decent entrance, to the plot, and just kept watching, waiting, beyond the dark...

But, I will delete old characters if new ones come up. As, the new guys might be more active and not as, dull, as the (non-)existing members.

That said, personal bullshit time.

Posts directed towards me, my characters, or any odd combination between the two, may slow down quite noticeably during the month of November. I'll be participating in NaNoWriMo, and as it's my first one yet, I've no idea what to expect, or if I'll be able to handle it all. (I have an odd tendency to write so late into the night I fall asleep at my laptop and find three chapters of a story written, with no memory of writing them). So, as my sleep deprivation increases, so too will the time between my posts possibly. As the responsible millennium-old demon I am, I'll be making sure my characters back away from the action slowly and naturally, hiding in the shadows until I rouse myself from my sleep-deprived delirium from writing to work to give myself time to post.

So all that's gonna happen soon. I hope I don't inadvertently cause the death of either myself, or the RP. And if any of you out there have any tips for preventing either, I'd love to hear 'em. Shoot me a PM, or respond in the Discussion page as per usual.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Weilacca on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:07 pm

I've also been trying my best to find someone to take on the abandoned character, but sadly. Nothing so far, everyone either doesn't seem interested in the roleplay, or the character. I will still be searching though, trying my best to find someone.

Next, I do apologize for my lack of posts, as you could tell from the current events around my characters, I have to wait for some time to pass to get a job done. As for the inbetween, I simply cannot come up with a decent post, so far all I can think of is a short conversation discussing plans. But that isn't enough. Perhaps this is what writer's block feels like.
Along with this, I've finished my first week in university, and I'm starting to feel the workload thrown onto me. Therefore, it would be hard for me to either gain time to post, or think about posts. I will give updates if possible. Some days are shorter than others and my weekends aren't as busy. I would probably be able to post about 3-4 times a week, depending on the event in the roleplay and my workload from uni.

Finally, you do what you want, Inkwell. It's your life and you should prioritize it. I can understand the large amount of workload, and the acts of falling asleep while writing. If you'd like, I can come up with some events to help keep the RP going, I may not be able to participate much, but it's something. I would hate to see this RP die, and I would hate to drop out.

Thanks

Weilacca
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:31 pm

@Mr.Inkwell - Well its good to see Baty's dream is still holding strong after all these years. I haven't written anything for the editor's since maybe 2013. Why don't you try and meet up with any of the writers that are located around you and that can alleviate some of the constraints. I doubt Walter and the others remember me at this point, but it helps to reach out and get in touch with the other writers as well.

That or you can ask around in chat here, I know a few might still be around and anything they have to add couldn't really hurt. Besides the fact that it all should start in November, I do know plenty of writers that have most likely been working on their stories and plays since January, tweaking, adjusting and downright retconning their own material.

On a side note with both the posting and tips I can suggest something for you first Inkwell. Find someone you trust to put as a GM in your rp, someone who you know will keep it going in your absence and make difficult decisions. This will take some of the constraint off of your mind and allow them to fill in for a short duration.

Secondly for Weilacca; yes that is writers block, in its purest sense. All I can say is that you don't need to fret about the small stuff at the moment, just allow your character to form a dialog in the first place. After that the story can pile in on the back of your post and you might just get a brain storm in near the end as well.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!