Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Chronicles of Valore: A Fantasy based sandbox RP

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Chronicles of Valore: A Fantasy based sandbox RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:39 pm

What is Valore?

Valore will be a large scale RP that will host multiple story arcs within it much like a multiversal RP. However, unlike many multiversal RPs, Valore is strictly a low tech, fantasy based planet with specified regions and sub-genres. Each story arc within Valore will serve to naturally develop the history of the lands. If you're interested in a fantasy based sandbox RP in which you can help shape the world and bring your own content to the table, then Valore may be for you.

Whether you prefer the faster pace of real time RPing, or the slower style of play-by-post, Valore is open to all methods of writing and roleplay. However, while Valore does offer a wide diversity of regions and the space necessary for more advanced plot lines to be run without disruption, this RP caters to all RP levels and will be hosting several teaching oriented plot lines by the RolePlayGateway Scholar team and a number of participating users. Intolerance and ostracization of our less talented writers will not be tolerated.

What we require?

GMs: A diverse world is no good without people taking point to lead story arcs and plot lines within it. We need reliable GMs who are committed to developing regions and seeing plot lines to completion.

Players: People who are simply interested in participating as a player are just as important. These people will form the backbone of the RP. They will provide a building block to expand from and serve to bring new content to the table.

Sneak Preview

These are but a few of the currently available regions that are being developed for use within Valore, all with plenty of room to expand.

Rough World Map

Arthia: Influenced strongly by Arthurian legend, Arthia is based largely around a medieval era with smaller aspects of magic that put it appart from the more fantastical lands. A human populated region, the people of Arthia are very prejudice to non humans and the practice of magic is strictly forbidden – an executable offense. Persecution runs heavily through Arthia.

Terra: Terra is the least developed of all the lands, serving as a sandbox region for high fantasy content. This land is open to development so long as new content is appropriate for a high fantasy genre. All of your familiar fantasy races and more can be found scattered about this continent.

Orlesia: Orlesia is a mixture of Renaissance era and high fantasy. A place where both magic and early gunpowder technology come together as one. Weapons such as cannons and flintlock weapons have begun circulating within Orlesia, though have not yet spread to other lands due to a lack of discovery or trade.

Aelora: Aelora, like Terra, is strongly high fantasy influenced but has taken on a more fantastical approach than the other lands. Aelora is a land ripe with unique lifeforms, both flora and fauna. These lands are often seen as alien and harsh to explorers that have begun landing upon its shores. This continent makes an excellent choice for more adventurous style story lines, or colonization style story lines.

G'ael: A land divided and torn by dark magic and the occult. G'ael is split into two regions, Northern G'ael and Southern G'ael. Northern G'ael has heavy influence from Romanian mythology, and is wrought with the supernatural. Southern G'ael is more strongly influenced by Norse mythology. G'ael is a predominantly human populated continent with a few odds and ends such as vampires and werewolves. The feel of G'ael is very dark and very unforgiving, a land where humans are not at the top of the food chain and yet continue to scrape out an existence.

Misc Notes

• Lower power levels will be encouraged. We want a high concentration of less experienced characters just coming into their stories, not a population of 5,000 year old archmages whose stories are already written. Generally speaking more high end characters should be relegated to positions within story arcs that strictly require them.
  • A select number of species and races will be restricted and require permission from their creator to utilize. This is to respect content created by individual players and to make sure it is played true to their initial vision.
  • All content that occurs within Valore will be canonized. If a group of pillagers burns a village to the ground, and then a group of travelers visits that village before it is rebuilt, then it won't be there. A wiki will be made available to all the players to help track the history of the RP, and the GMs will be tasked with keeping the descriptions of established locations updated for ease of use so that individual players aren't required to read the entire RP history.
  • The world of Valore is constantly subject to change and growth. If there's something you need that doesn't exist, it will be added. Towns, cities, islands, continents, geographical features, climate zones, species and races are just a few of the things that players and GMs will be allowed to add as they need.

Interested Participants:

• Tiko: Project Lead, world development, organizing, co-GMing a storyline in Aelora, teaching, map design, wiki development, player.
  • Script: Project Co-Lead, world development, co-GMing a storyline in Aelora, wiki development.
  • Alasund: GMing a storyline in Aelora, GMing a storyline in Terra, world design.
  • Kurokiku: World design, co-GM-for-hire.
  • Patcharoo: GMing a storyline in Terra.
  • DestroytheOrcs: GMing a storyline in northern G'ael, world design for northern G'ael.
  • NotAFlyingToy: Teaching assistant, world design.
  • Imehal: Teaching Assistant (As and when needed)
  • FizzGig: GMing a storyline in Caldonia. Player.
  • RedRaine: Player
  • Dragon: Player
  • IronPheonix:
  • CrazyIrish:

Special note from Script:
Script wrote:Despite the overwhelming record for sandbox RP failure, Tiko as a GM is the most stubborn invidual you shall likely encounter on the site and will not allow this RP to die if she has to tie each player to their computers herself.
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Re: Valore: A Fantasy based sandbox RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:44 pm

This is... kind of interesting.

You waiting to see interest before putting it up, then?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 pm

We're scheduled to open the RP in two weeks, provided we have enough interest to get a few initial story arcs going. We don't want to open it and end up with a bunch of players milling about with no sense of direction or idea of what to do. To that end, I wanted to get an interest check up early so I can start making contact with interested individuals.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raize on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Tiko, I have a request to make. I'm curious about becoming a GM. I've never been in charge of anything before, and I'm slightly new to the site. I've been reading through this here and there for a bit, skimming and then poring over it. And I have to say that it seems very interesting. I have an idea that has been blossoming in my mind for a long time. Since this is a sandbox RP, and since there is plenty of space to create new terrain... Could I perhaps run it by you in the chat, or send a PM? It'd be easier to run it by you within the chat, but a PM would be okay as well.

To summarize, I'm interested.
"Uhhhhhhhhhh." - Karisse

Raize
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Visual Appeal Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Okay. I'll look forward to seeing the full thing then.

Are you all set for people contributing to the setting beforehand? If not, if you want you want input or anything, I might have some ideas.

I wouldn't necessarily want to be a full-on GM, but I wouldn't mind playing a character who serves as an instigator of sorts, in terms of driving storylines.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Put me down for this as a GM.

Y'know I'm good for it, I swear.

And if you know me from the MV, y'know I'm good for it. ;)
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:16 pm

eye see you wrote:Tiko, I have a request to make. I'm curious about becoming a GM. I've never been in charge of anything before, and I'm slightly new to the site. I've been reading through this here and there for a bit, skimming and then poring over it. And I have to say that it seems very interesting. I have an idea that has been blossoming in my mind for a long time. Since this is a sandbox RP, and since there is plenty of space to create new terrain... Could I perhaps run it by you in the chat, or send a PM? It'd be easier to run it by you within the chat, but a PM would be okay as well.

To summarize, I'm interested.

I would be happy to discuss it with you. I'm not at home right now, but I should be in a few hours. I can usually be tagged in chat. I'll shoot you a PM once I'm home, if you plan to be around.

Patcharoo wrote:Put me down for this as a GM.

Y'know I'm good for it, I swear.

And if you know me from the MV, y'know I'm good for it. ;)

-REJECTED-

Just kidding. Happy to have you, as always.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Shanatos wrote:Are you all set for people contributing to the setting beforehand? If not, if you want you want input or anything, I might have some ideas.

I wouldn't necessarily want to be a full-on GM, but I wouldn't mind playing a character who serves as an instigator of sorts, in terms of driving storylines.

Just wondering if you saw this and what your thoughts are on it.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:20 am

Shanatos wrote:Are you all set for people contributing to the setting beforehand? If not, if you want you want input or anything, I might have some ideas.

Hm. I think I can answer that question with both a yes and a no. I don't intend to add any further initial content unless it's actually going to be used right away. So if you had ideas that you yourself wanted to utilize and intend to join the RP, then you would be more than welcome to add them. But if you're just offering to front general ideas, they would probably be shelved until someone wanted to utilize them. Most of our people involved are already working on regions and content that's going to be used right away. If we put them to work on adding content just to add it, we would be working on this RP for another whole year :)

As far as playing a character, we should have a number of story arcs available for simple playing purposes. Though as of now they're mostly focused in G'ael and Terra. Script and I plan to run some stuff in Aelora, but not until we finish our current RolePlay, Orsa of Terminus. Once that's done though, we'll be running plot lines in Valore.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:56 am

Damn that's interesting. *urges to Feature this*

Is this why Orsa's not happening right now!? *flails*

Ifwhen this flies up I'd love to be another character in the midst of it all.
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:30 am

RedRaine wrote:Is this why Orsa's not happening right now!? *flails*

You know I would never abandon/neglect Orsa :)
Orsa is still trucking along Aelora side. Terra side is just on hold while Naft is on vacation. Which I think is for about another week or so.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Re: Chronicles of Valore: A Fantasy based sandbox RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dragon on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I would really like to get my fingers back to telling wondrous and enticing stories. So, if you would have me, I would love to partake in this project in any way I can. Use me to your hearts content. =]

"They Claim I Am Mad, When They Are All Mad Themselves"

Dragon
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Dragon wrote:Use me to your hearts content. =]

One gigolo role filled. Next. ;)

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IronPhoenix on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:16 am

I find it interesting that I had a rather similar RP that I was going to put out, though some major differences would have been that characters wouldn't strictly have to come from that specific world, and the persistent world I created was more heavily based of popular D&D settings. With this around however I feel my RP should be held off so that these similar titles won't "compete" for attention.

In the mean time I would very much like to be involved in this ambitious project. I've been meaning to get in some real GMing practice and I feel this would be a great place get it. But if that kind of position isn't available I will have you know I've had a hand in map design if you're in need of amature cartographers. Original and interesting storytelling however, is my forte, and I would be honoured if I were allowed to contribute to lore this world, as well quest tailoring for the adventurous traveller. >:)
Last edited by IronPhoenix on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronPhoenix
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CrazyIrish on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:55 pm

VERY interested, it sounds like a ambitious and truly awesome project.

Most definitely interested in being a player, maybe something more.

I'll shoot you a PM in the near future Tiko to discuss that further :)

CrazyIrish
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, IronPheonix. It has been a rather busy day. Anyways, I would be happy to have you involved. As for positions available, there's no designated slots :) GMing in Valore is really just players who have the initiative to step forward and actually initiative and lead story arcs. With that in mind, you're more than welcome to run plot lines if that's where your interest lies.

If there's anything specific you have in mind, please by all means, feel free to PM or e-mail me and we can work something out. Conversely I'm usually available in chat on and off through the day if you want to look for me in there to discuss ideas.

CrazyIrish wrote:VERY interested, it sounds like a ambitious and truly awesome project.

Most definitely interested in being a player, maybe something more.

I'll shoot you a PM in the near future Tiko to discuss that further :)

If there was ever a word to describe me. Ambitious would be it. Either that or stubborn git, depending on how you look at it. :)

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Protagonist on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm game for this.

The Protagonist
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby girlwt on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I am really interested and since you don't have anyone yet would really like to help out with the Orlesia somehow, however maybe not as GM because I don't think I am ready for such a responsibility .
There is a sacredness in tears....They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition and of unspeakable love.

Washington Irving

girlwt
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby youngbreyer on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:10 pm

I already messaged you in the OOC thread for this, but just thought I would put it here too since this is the interest checks section after all, that I'll be very interested in joining this RP as a player once you have it going. Looking forward to participating in a living, growing world that I myself have a chance to help you and everyone else shape and I'm looking forward to this being a long running RP and seeing just where it is ... say this time next year... or the next year... and the next year ... and the next year (echo, echo, echo) :D

youngbreyer
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hypnosis on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:11 pm

There is an Isla Tor shown on the basic map that has me absolutely enthralled. It has not been mentioned in the brief summary you've given, and, as such, it seems the perfect location to mess around with. Please don't think me presumptuous in any way - I do not aim to be such - but I have a pirate character who never came to fruition, and the idea of the isle almost draws me to it.

I'm interested in this project, to say the least. I'll check back every so often, and I hope you might consider allowing me to take part, despite my relatively unknown status.
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

Hypnosis
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!