Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Dalcaria: Forged in Fire and Blood.

Dalcaria: The Lorebook

a part of “Dalcaria: Forged in Fire and Blood.”, a fictional universe by Lord Saethos.

This is a tester Universe to get prepwork done for when I can make this thing official.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Dalcaria: Forged in Fire and Blood.”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Dalcaria: The Lorebook

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Okay, so this was suggested to me by another roleplayer, and essentially takes the place of the "Q&A" in some ways. Please refer here if you wonder anything or want to learn something. And again, if you do have any questions, PLEASE ask me, it helps me help you a lot more if you're thinking of joining this roleplay!

For reference as well, I will make a new post for every separate piece of lore I decide to touch upon, both to keep things separate, and to keep people updated on when I have new lore to add to this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lord Saethos
Member for 7 years
Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Group Theory Tipworthy Conversationalist Author Inspiration Lifegiver Person of Interest Novelist

Re: Dalcaria: The Lorebook

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Magic

Alright, so this needs to be addressed for the sake of my mental state, your mental state, and the mental state of everyone else, because I am obsessive about detail, and so are some others.

Magic, in this world, isn't magic. That is to say, magic isn't something where you can just snap your fingers and *boom*, you're king of the fish people. Magic is, in essence, the manipulation of particles, physics, etc. It has a very "real" (in this universe anyways) mechanic to it that allows you to create a fireball in your hand, to mend a wound together, or (if you become some kind of supreme sorcerer) even turn coal into gold (which I might add would mean you're literally changing the "chemical" or "nuclear" structure of one to make the other, so don't expect me to just hand that out like candy).

Now where does the power come from to do these wonderful works of miracle science? Well, that's the ACTUAL magic behind this. It's an energy we can't wholly explain or understand (at least now), but it does permeate most of the planet (Gardia in case you forgot), and most people have the ability to gain some mastery over it. Of course, magic is like muscles. Nobody ended up looking like and horrifying, pink version of the Hulk without putting in a lot of effort, so the same is true of magic.

As a note to you all, most forms of magic are essentially A-okay in my book, so long as it can be said to be a manipulation of physics, particles, etc. Things like mind reading and seeing the future however? That's a little more complicated. I am currently working on opening the door to being able to see into the past at least, but it's going to require a LOT of "scienceing" on my part, so also expect that this will be a rare power for me to allow.

I like things to make as much sense as possible. An energy force that allows you to manipulate particles (as far-fetched as it is), makes a degree of sense. Using that same energy that relies so heavily on particles to see through time? Considerably harder to make sense of. I am making an effort, but please DO NOT give your character this power without consulting VERY heavily with me first.

That finishes up this lesson in lore more or less. As I say, if you have any more questions on the rest of the lore of this world, or specifically magic itself, don't hesitate to ask me!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lord Saethos
Member for 7 years
Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Group Theory Tipworthy Conversationalist Author Inspiration Lifegiver Person of Interest Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 pm

The Calendar

Not the most interesting piece of information, I know, but it'll help me (and some of you) keep track of the concept of time a little easier. I find that may be often overlooked in some stories, but as I am trying VERY hard to make Dalcaria as "real" as possible, I cannot do that without having some rational concept of time.

Now with that said, don't go and complain over the names of things, they're the best I could come up with. And yes, for the time being, I'm stealing the same number of months, days in months, and days in a week from Earth. It's just simpler that way for now. Oh, except February. You just get 29 days, period. I am not dealing with leap years.

The Months

Jessamine (January) (31 Days)
Fredrickson (February) (29 Days)
Markus (March) (31 Days)
Alfredus (April) (30 Days)
Magnus (May) (31 Days)
Janus (June) (30 Days)
Julius (July) (31 Days)
Augustus (August) (31 Days)
Septimus (September) (30 Days)
Octavius (October) (31 Days)
Novius (November) (30 Days)
Decanius (December) (31 Days)

Now for the days of the week.

The Days

Sondis (Sunday)
Lundis (Monday)
Tyrsdis (Tuesday)
Vinsdis (Wednesday)
Torssdis (Thursday)
Fyrdis (Friday)
Sordis (Saturday)

Might color code these later, but for now I think that's good. Oh yes, and the "seasons" basically run as they would in Earth's Northern Hemisphere. So like I would PREFER my weather to be in Canada:

The Seasons

Winter essentially starts in Novius, ends in Fredrickson.

Spring starts around Markus, ends around mid Magnus to the first week of Janus, usually not more than that.

Summer starts around Janus, ends around mid Septimus.

And Fall starts around Mid Septimus or Octavius, and ends between the end of Octavius, or mid to late Novius (depending on the year).

Lord Saethos
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Timeline of the World (WIP)

BIE - Before Imperial Era. This is a general time frame used to describe certain time periods that have yet to be fully understood historically. A rough measurement of time.

DDE - Dominion of Dalcaria Era. This calendar era specifically measures a time (much of the history of which was lost as a result of the two Cataclysms) when the continent of Dalcaria was united as a single nation, led and more or less governed by mages from across the land.

IE - Imperial Era. The calendar era that was started when the Empire of Dalcaria first formed, and has been continued since then.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Prehistoric Era
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Spoiler: show
Approx. 15'000 BIE:
    - Dalcar, the "Wild King" and namesake of the continent of Dalcaria, wages war against invading Dragons, here on Gardia to conquer, exploit, and enslave. Some legends speculated for a while that the dragons were natives to one of Gardia's moons, but of course this has never been proven.

Approx. ??? BIE:
    - Prydain Alban becomes the first man in Dalcaria to learn to effectively wield and control magic. Magic had existed (and been used) before this time, but Prydain was the first to understand it, to wield it with purpose, and eventually to master it. Because of him, mages, witches, and all other users of magic have been able to wield magic effectively as a tool, and not just as a random explosion of energy they couldn't understand. Prydain, and the beliefs and values for which he stood, would also become the inspiration for many future mages, and eventually the creation of the Dominion of Dalcaria.

Dominion of Dalcaria Era

1 DDE (1950 BIE):
    - At a time when the nations of Dalcaria hide behind great walled cities, trying to last against the great demon hordes plaguing the lands, an immaculate army of white-clad mages arises to purge the lands and cleanse them of the unholy menace. This army, the Dominion of Mages, succeeds in their goal, and shortly after establishes a unified government across the continent; The Dominion of Dalcaria.

Approx. 745(?) DDE (1205 BIE):
    - The Dominion of Dalcaria is invaded by an Elvin Island Nation. The Elves sought to acquire greater territory for their small nation, as well as greater resources, and to eliminate the threat of an evenly matched "magical nation". Prior scouting parties to Dalcaria had given the Elves a glimpse of the Dalcarians' magical skills, skills they did wish to learn, but that also proved to them that the Dalcarians had to be wiped out before they could retaliate against the Elves.

Approx. 750 DDE (1200 BIE):
    - The Dominion of Dalcaria collapses as the first "Great Cataclysm" is unleash, tearing apart both the Dominion as well as the Elven nation. Cities crumble, lands are ripped asunder, the entire world seems to shake for a moment from the destructive power of the magic. The Elvin Nation itself, all of its islands, are hit at their very foundations, and begin to descend into the depths of the oceans. Within mere weeks, the Elvin islands have been consumed by the seas, and the Elves find themselves as refugees, confined to whatever sea faring vessels they have, quickly and desperately searching for a new land to call home. A land far away from Dalcaria.

Interregnum Period

Approx. 1198 BIE:
    - Durel, the great mage, wages a "last stand" against a great demon invasion, a repercussion of the "Great Cataclysm" which he was partly responsible for. He and a remnant army of Dominion soldiers, mages, and all others who sought to fight the demon menace, made their stand at the hallowed grounds of an ancient tower, located on the East Coast of Dalcaria. What Durel, and everyone else to this day, did not know was that this was the final resting place of Dalcar, the First King, the Wild King, and the Namesake of Dalcaria. Durel and his forces won the battle, with great losses, and with new found masteries and perversions of magic thus far unthought of. Henceforth, the land bore his name as Durel's Last Stand, but today it is better known as Durelieus; The Imperial Capital of the Empire of Dalcaria.

Approx. ???:
    - Nations rise and fall like the seasons in this time. Peace is rare, so is stability. As the years wane however, the nations start to slowly collect into what will one day become the foundation for the Empire of Dalcaria.

Approx. ???:
    - The Empire of Tavastia grows over time, with dynasties rising and falling several times. Eventually, a royal family is established, and the borders of Tavastia become what they are today. But the peace lasts a brief time, and before long the royals are dead, and the nobles are battling for the throne. It is at this time that the Clarion family, popular especially with the peasants, civilians, and other "simple folk" of the land, manages to rise above their noble competitors and claim the throne of Tavastia. One day, that throne will extend to all of Dalcaria.

Imperial Era (Current Era)

1 IE:
    - The Empire of Dalcaria is Formed

800 IE:
    - A second "Great Cataclysm" occurs, an aftershock from the first, hundreds of years in the making. Centuries of knowledge is wiped out as a wave of energy sweeps the Empire, causing earthquakes, fires, and more. Ancient buildings are destroyed, history is lost, and scientific advancements are nearly forgotten. Some of the effects are still felt today in the form of the still fragmented record of history.

1100 IE:
    - Austurland: A plague breaks out in Austurland that brings life back to the dead, and perverts living things into grotesque monsters. There were attempts to fight back, but in the end the people of the Old Kingdom of Austurland had to flee to their mainland territories to avoid total annihilation.

1200 IE:
    - Dalcaria sees its first factories being built, making the processes of production more efficient than has even been possible in history. The industrial age is underway. (Note: For reference, this looks something like 1600's-1700's England. By 1250, it's looking similar to something like Fable 2 or 3 did.)

1250 IE:
    - The Great Demon War begins.

1500 IE:
    - King Richard Clarion, his children, and all other living relatives of the Clarion bloodline are murdered. Following this, Theodore Adderlain (a member of House Black and de-facto leader of the Fascist movement in Dalcaria) is made Grand Chancellor, the new Head of State of the Empire of Dalcaria. And with that, Fascism works itself into the new system of government for the Empire.

- James Airell is promoted as new Captain of the Royal Guard. Several months later, after careful consideration by the new Fascist government, he is placed in control of the Dalcarian Intelligence Services, though his powers are often superseded by other "government bodies".

1503 IE:
    - The Dalcarian Civil War begins.

- The Civil War ended before the year was over(?), and James Tiberius Byron Airell was made Grand Chancellor of the Empire of Dalcaria

Lord Saethos
Member for 7 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!