Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Digital Rights Management

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Digital Rights Management

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fractal Resonance on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:00 am

I've done some reading on Digital Rights Management in my spare time, so I wrote this. It might be a good read if you're into knowing about Windows Vista, digital copyright, or about digital media in general:

Wikipedia.org wrote:Another common criticism concerns the integration of new forms of digital rights management into the operating system, specifically the introduction of the Protected Video Path. This architecture is designed such that "premium content" from HD DVD or Blu-ray discs may mandate that the connections between PC components be encrypted. Devices such as graphic cards must be approved by Microsoft. Depending on what the content demands, the devices may not pass premium content over non-encrypted outputs, or they must artificially degrade the quality of the signal on such outputs or not display it all. There is also a revocation mechanism that allows Microsoft to disable drivers of compromised devices in end-user PCs over the Internet.

An Explanation for the Layman: Windows Vista encrypts certain media every time the user does something with it. This is not an exaggeration. Every. Single. Time. Microsoft can also terminate the functionality of certain portions of your PC remotely.

Ramifications: Every video card you now use on your PC box running on Vista needs to be Microsoft certified. Getting Microsoft certification is expensive. Your video card must have certain safety features built in so that it may meet the requirements that Microsoft sets. These are not safety features that benefit you in any way, shape or form. In fact, they make your video card more expensive and less stable. This also makes Windows, a notoriously unstable and unsecure operating system, less stable and less secure. This causes Vista to use up a great deal of processing power (the size of high-quality media is enormous, and encrypting all that information is not easy). In short, your computer is more expensive, runs worse, and is more prone to failure.

Why?: Why is Microsoft slapping down such a security policy? Hollywood, for the most part. Hollywood is shifting into the digital era, and now they're experiencing the same shock that all digital corporations seem to experience when they start out. "Teenagers are stealing our product and making it available to the public for free!"

Worth the Time and Money?: There's a long history of companies throwing a fit when they realize that their digital products are vulnerable, then spending vast sums of money to prevent this from happening. Let us peer back to one memorable attempt Sony Music made:

Wired.com wrote:Technology buffs have cracked music publishing giant Sony Music's elaborate disc copy-protection technology with a decidedly low-tech method: scribbling around the rim of a disk with a felt-tip marker.

Oops.

If I recall proper, the cost of this illustrious project was in the millions. I might be wrong, but I don't think I am. Cost to hack? I can buy a two-pack of felt-tip markers at my university's copy center for about two dollars, with which I could break thousands of CD-ROMs with. That's all of one coin to me. Two pieces of paper to you people not special enough to have a two dollar coin. Suffice it be said this project was a critical failure for the entertainment industry.

You may have a dozen trained computer scientists and software engineers. You might stick some computer engineers in there for good measure, trying to prevent analogue piracy. Yet consistently this industry built around protecting copyrighted information placed in a digital format continues to fail. Yet, why should we care? This is just another attempt to protect data, right? Just don't buy Vista. Then we're fine, right?

The problem here is that we're no longer talking about protecting corporate profits. We're not talking about some inconvenient hurdles for Vista users alone. We're talking about a change in hardware and software for everyone. You want to go buy a new video card? I guarantee you, it's going to be Microsoft Certified so it can appeal to the industry of users on Windows Vista. You're going to pay that extra price.

Though, I must say, don't worry! If you're running on Windows Vista, your upgraded operating system offers you even more inconveniences. Microsoft, after all, hates to disappoint.

So, I pose the questions, despite being a total newbie here in RPG:

Do you feel cheated by this?

Do you feel that an industry has a right to protect itself against piracy on this level?

If not, how much freedom do you think an industry should have to protect itself against piracy?

And pretty much anything else you want to say on the issue is up for grabs, so feel free to comment.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fractal Resonance
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Digital Rights Management

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Do I feel cheated by this?

Hahahahahahaha!!!

Of course not. And you may well be asking why... Well, the answer is simple.

I don't actually use Windows. I use Ubuntu. A completely free, open source, Linux based operating system. It runs amazingly faster than Windows, and has the capability, due to its open source status, of being completely customised.

Therefore, I have no need to worry about any of Microsoft's stupid ideas.

Do I feel an INDUSTRY has a right to protect itself against piracy? No. Do I feel an individual should have those rights? Yes, certainly. Should a director/producer/artist(s) feel that they don't want their work being copied without any monetary gain, they should certainly have the right to prevent it.

If they don't, then it shouldn't be. I am going to take the music industry for this elaboration. Artists are in the game for the money and the enjoyment, most of the time. Most will want to make as much money as possible - I mean, I wouldn't work for nothing either. Others, however, may not be overly bothered if people copy their music and give it to people, as this leads to an increased fan base, and fans, generally, will attend concerts and at one point buy actual albums. (I know I do a mixture of both, for the simple fact of stuff that comes with CD albums and what not.) I believe it is up to the individual, not the industry as a whole on this matter.

How much freedom should they have to achieve prevention of piracy? Complete. As long as it doesn't have detrimental consequences for others, ie: increased prices for things that are in no way directly related to the goods.
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Re: Digital Rights Management

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:12 pm

Do you feel cheated by this? I haven't upgraded my computer, installed a graphics card, or bought a new computer for three years. And my current machine is behaving quite like it doesn't need to be replaced or updated right now. So....I dont' care.

How much freedom do you think an industry should have to protect itself against piracy? However much their customers are willing to put up with.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!