Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Good Music

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Good Music

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athias on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:50 pm

I've recently been getting really into music, and have very quickly began to discover the distinction between good music, bad music and music that could be labeled as either way.

Now, anyways, this thread is less a discussion on what makes music good, as much as it is to be a compilation of good bands and music. If you think a group is particularly good, list it here, with examples if at all possible. You can go into detail, or you can simply post a band and a few of what you think are their best songs.

This being said, this is not going to be a thread that accepts any band into it's roster. While there is always accounting for personal taste, I don't want to see anything like Nickleback, Jonas Brothers, Coldplay, etc. The purpose of this thread is to expand it's readers musical horizons, and also steer clear of the sub-par but inexplicably popular supergroups.

Also, you choice doesn't have to be a rock group, if you think it's good, submit it.

I'll start off:

List:
-Tool : Lateralus; The Pot; Schism;
-Sigur Ros : Glosoli;
-We Are Wolves : Fight & Kiss; Magique;
-Avett Brothers : Die Die Die;
-The White Lies : Fairwell to the Fairground;
-Yoav : Adore, Adore;
-Gorrillaz : Demon Days; 19-2000; Feel Good Inc;
-Flogging Molly : Black Friday Rule;
-Foo Fighters : The Pretender; The Best of You;
-Silversun Pickups : Pretty much everything they make. No really, LISTEN TO THESE GUYS!
-Menos El Oso: Pachuca Sunrise; The Pig War; Knights;
-Tall As Lions: Stab City:

Techno:
Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400
Nightwish

Musicals:
Repo! The Genetic Opera : Zydrate Anatomy;
Last edited by Athias on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe." - Neil Gaiman

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Athias
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Good Music

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Conumbra on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:09 pm

Nightwish: Beauty and the Beast, Nemo, The Islander, The Poet and the Pendulum

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Conumbra
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartofLight4 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:09 pm

I think Apocalyptica is a good band, mainly because they don't use vocals or words to get their point across. They use pure instrumentals, which are typically far more emotional. There is a modern twist, but the main part of it is of Cellos, Pianos, Drums, and Violins.

Examples: Farewell, Faraway, Bittersweet (vocals), Beyond Time

They are not the most popular, but they are known of.

HeartofLight4
Member for 15 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SithFaced on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:10 pm

This sounds like a good idea. Give me a minute to go through my iPod, and pick out some of my favorites...

I'll just warn you right now that they majority of them are going to be very VERY different from the rest that I list. I can be quite particular about songs, though, every now and then I listen to stuff that everybody else does.
Though most of the time, my friends are like "who do you listen to?"

So... yeah. I'll post in a bit; either by editing this post, or just posting another one all together. :) Good luck finding groups/songs for your list! I'll be back with mine when I'm 100% happy with it (or pretty darn close).
y do i have a ƒεεℓเɳɠ ᵗʰⁱˢ ⁱˢ ᵃ ᴡᴇɪʀᴅʟʏ ᴇʟᴀʙᴏʀᴀᴛᴇ ՏℍⅈtℙᝪՏt

SithFaced
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vermillion on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:15 pm

This seems like a pretty good way to discover new music. I just disagree with not allowing the bands that you listed. I don't particularly like any of them, but I don't see why people who do can't add them to the list. It's hard to define good music since everyone's taste is different, and I think it's a bit unfair to decide that those bands aren't allowed to be on a list of "good music".

Anyways, my musical taste is pretty widespread, so I have some rock/punk, and then folk/anti-folk/indie. Even if you aren't into folk, I suggest you check out CocoRosie and Regina Spektor-- I have friends that are fans of rock music who like them.

-Buckcherry: All of Me, Sorry, A Child Called "It"
-The Matches: Papercut Skin, Scratched Out, Salty Eyes
-Regina Spektor: Chemo Limo, Ne Me Quitte Pas
-CocoRosie: Werewolf, Promise, Beautiful Boyz

I may add more later, if that's alright.

Vermillion
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Isn't this better suited in the music section of the boards? Seems out of place here. `-`

Matthias
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athias on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Matthias wrote:Isn't this better suited in the music section of the boards? Seems out of place here. `-`

Meh, that section is more for music made for the members of the boards.

Also, I'm very divided over the band Canor, the base is absolutely excellent, and while the lead singer is initially a huge turnoff, after a few listens, I almost think he's good, at least in some parts. With a better vocalist it would be perfect, but I don't think this one really kills it.

Athias
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Matthias
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SithFaced on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Here is my list. I hope you don't think I'm too odd...

Song ~~~~~ Artist
*I linked whatever I could...*

Lux Aurumque ~~~~~ Eric Whitacre
Here Comes the Flood ~~~~~ Peter Gabriel
Zadok The Priest ~~~~~ George Frideric Handel
Lamentations of Jeremiah ~~~~~ Z. Randall Stroope
Loud_Mucker_Complex ~~~~~ LM.C
Still Doll ~~~~~ Kanon Wakeshima
Regret ~~~~~ Malice Mizer
The Wee Wee Man ~~~~~ Steeleye Span *
Kernkraft 400 ~~~~~ Zombie Nation
The Final ~~~~~ Dir en Grey
Daniel ~~~~~ Bat For Lashes
I Will Always Return ~~~~~ Bryan Adams
O Fortuna ~~~~~ Nightwish**
Frozen ~~~~~ Celldweller
Faith of the Heart ~~~~~ Russell Watson
Rainy Monday ~~~~~ Shiny Toy Guns
The Creationist ~~~~~ Kerli
Desert Rose ~~~~~ Sting
A Thousand Years ~~~~~ Sting
Walking on Air ~~~~~ Kerli
F**k You ~~~~~ Lily Allen***

*I was not able to find a video or song for this... its not very popular...
**Ignore the fact that the video is "Within Temptation"
***You're probably going to disagree with this, but... I just had to XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I realize you aren't going to agree with all of this... I just hope you like some of it~
:)
And I hope none of these are too mainstream for you~ hahaha
I'm looking forward to seeing which, if any, make it. And i'm looking forward to seeing the list. It'll make a great playlist on my iPod.

Oh, and... lolnorockmusic. hahaha

SithFaced
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:31 pm

The fact that Nightwish and Apocalyptica have been mentioned already makes me happy :) I definitely agree with those. I love quite a few bands from Finland.

For Nightwish, it's also worth checking out:
Ghost Love Score
Planet Hell

And to add on to the list:

Sonata Arctica
Why? The vocalist can sing really intense songs as well as ballads and is always at the top of his game. The lyrics always tell a complete story that is just great to listen to (They're one of the few bands that I even bother looking up lyrics for to read). The music really blows me away every time I hear it, especially live. Seen them twice so far and they were great. Finally... Their keyboardist plays a keytar XP. It's hard to come up with best songs for these guys, really. There are so many, so I'll try to cover their full spectrum from powerful to soft to melodic. Some examples are:
Flag in the Ground (This is their new single so I had to put it down XP)
White Pearl Black Oceans
Misery
The Cage
Replica

Sturm Und Drang
I just heard about this band about a month ago and can't stop listening. These guys are still trying to find their footing and gain their own identity but there is so much potential there, especially considering that they are only 16-17 years old. I absolutely adore their lead singer's voice. Some examples:

Hope that's not too many songs. I get carried away sometimes.
He who has ears to hear, let him hear
For this is a tale of an ancient kind
In the word there lies existence and the word became flesh
And dwelt among us and we saw its glory
Let him hear it who will

Kai
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartofLight4 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Actually, these groups all sound very good. I looked 'em all up. XD

Anyhow... I feel that the past should also be looked on... The baby boomer bands, which were very well known in their time. Why they should be known? They were the founders of music, in retrospective, and should at least be listened to once. To those who haven't heard of these groups, please look them up. And if you don't like these bands... sorry. ._.

The Beatles - They're coming to take me away, haha

Nine Inch Nails (Metal) - Numb

Oingo Boingo - ALL SONGS

The Four Tops - Temptation

The Rolling Stones - (Any songs you can find on the group, mainly)

I may be only 13, but my parents were Baby Boomers themselves, so I grew up listening to these. If they destroy the purpose of this forum... again... sorry.

HeartofLight4
Member for 15 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athias on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey guys, keep it up, I;ll probably update the list sometime tomorrow as I'm fairly busy right now. I just wanted to say that it doesn't matter how 'mainstream' it is as long as it's good.

Athias
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 pm

I have one suggestion:
Farewell to the Fairground, by White Lies

They were the opening act at a Kings of Leon concert I attended. They were by far better than the main attraction.

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SithFaced on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:12 pm

I'm adding more to the list.

SithFaced
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vermillion on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:18 pm

I love Bat for Lashes. Natasha Khan is amazing.

Here are some more:
(and I stopped being lazy and got youtube links this time!)
Mae: Waiting, Suspension
Unwritten Law: Save Me, She Says
Gorillaz: Rock It, Demon Days
Rev Theory: Hell Yeah, Broken Bones
Stone Sour: Sillyworld, Bother
White Denim: Let's Talk About It
Street to Nowhere: Tipsy, Boxcars Boxcars Boxcars

Vermillion
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kilgannon on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:58 am

Enter the Metal-head! Although I like all kinds of music, Metal is my forte'.

Slipknot - Before I Forget, Disasterpiece, Vermillion (Part 1 and 2), Duality
Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece of Heaven, Afterlife, Gunslinger, Almost Easy, Critical Acclaim
Paramore - That's What You Get, Misery Buisness
In This Moment - Beautiful Tragedy, Ashes
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends, Revolution, Being for the Benefits of Mr. Kite, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
All That Remains - Six
Sonata Artica - Full Moon
Powerglove - Metal Kombat for the Mortal Man, Mario Minor, Tetris, So Sexy Robotnik
Repo! The Genetic Opera - Zydrate Anatomy, I Didn't Know I'd Love You So Much, Legal Assassain, Let The Monster Rise, Everybody's A Composer!
Megadeth - Headcrusher

That is only like 1% of the songs I like. I'll post more if you'd like later.
This wind you talk of blows us from ourselves.

Kilgannon
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Beta Tester Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ariah on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:00 am

Check out As Tall As Lions
Please rate my posts!!!
I love you

Ariah
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:03 am

Kronos wrote:I have one suggestion:
Farewell to the Fairground, by White Lies

They were the opening act at a Kings of Leon concert I attended. They were by far better than the main attraction.

White Lies are beast. I saw them at Koko last year. Farewell to the Fairground is good but I think I prefer Death. You should check out the cover they played of Dancing in the Dark at Glasto too!

On that note; I dig Joy Division and U2.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby .:Homunculi:. on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:59 pm

WhenTheySaidRomanceIsDeadTheyMeantItLiterally.. LoveKillsTheMostSoWatchWhoYouKill.

.:Homunculi:.
Member for 15 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athias on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Update: I've been adding more groups to the list, including several excellent ones mentioned here (Tall as Lions, The White Lies, etc.) and some of my personal favorites. (Seriously check out the Silversun Pickups.)

I plan on editing the 1st post soon, to make the thread more accessible. In the mean time, keep em coming.

Athias
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!