Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Guerilla Role Play: A Guide

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

Guerilla Role Play: A Guide

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:55 pm

I decided to make this guide because unfortunately, not everyone has the gift of prose. I've been in several games where it is painful to read the responses to posts. Three broken sentences with commas all willy-nilly, is not my idea of a good post. However, that's just it; my idea. What if you worked all day on that and I just dismissed it like a child's drawing? Would you want to devote any time or effort to such an elitist joy taker? Shit no. Thus, a revision of my idiom - no longer will I hose you for being lame. Holding people to a standard so much higher than it should be was my error. This site is to be fun and enjoyable, not work. I plan help you towards a more rich and self-affirming experience.

Birds of a Feather...

The games you pick are paramount in making sure you have a good time. If you read the character sheet of the GM and it's easily a page long with a huge amount of inanities that you could give less than a speck about in actual people, move on. I'm sorry, most forum RP is character driven. You discover the characters eventually. Do you go up to random people and explain your scars, fears and family history? A character sheet should be a paragraph at most: NAME, AGE, HT, WT, EYE/HAIR COLOUR, ROLE and HISTORY (in other words what brought you to the current game). When I first started Role Playing I would spend hours thinking of a character with a rich past, whose personality was multi-faceted like a Tiffany-cut gemstone only to have the game fail four posts in. You want to play, not make character sheets all sodding day. Join games that fit your personality and writing ability so that posting is not work but something you can do with very little effort.

Technical Writers, Oh Noes!

People have different abilities in writing, not all are on par with "good writers". When you are fourteen you will not write as well as when you are twenty-four. As more mature writers brow-beat the little ones it only serves to create animosity. I've done it, here and in other sites, just tear into a kid for for grammar mistakes or spelling errors. It was petty, in truth we all start somewhere. When I was growing up trolls lived under bridges not on the internet so in understanding that, kids have it tough these days. Why bulldoze an already shaky emotional foundation when you can lay concrete and steel then when they are nineteen they write better than you at twenty-five. If you as the mature writer hate seeing spelling errors and mistakes why did you join a pokemon roleplay? Conversely, as a younger writer don't join games where the posts are thousand-word behemoths, in primary school reading lists you won't find The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon.

This is a story about, corn flour, paint, a 1970 Ford Mustang, rage, lost love and a red panda...

Confusing twisting, labyrinthine plots are awful. Look, a good interesting story is wonderful but when you have just a bunch of different ideas you want to incorporate into one role play, it can be overwhelming. Let the story develop and grow on it's own, not every player fancies him or herself Theseus ready to take the time to navigate the maze of words to discover a Minotaur so unremarkable that they feel cheated, several hours of their life they will never get back it saves you time not having to discover the correlation of three girls, the 1923 team of Manchester United and a Roman coin. Have faith, the best games only require slight involvement from the GM.

Free Cuddles? Om nom nom

Loneliness touches a lot of people, school is tough, you have not enough/too much black clothes, anime, those rubber bracelets that are shaped like things, love of independent music and film. We all want to belong, to love and be loved and not be derogatorily labelled. You are accepted/unpopular with jocks/preps/emo/emocore/metal/metalcore/fringe/nerds/goths and that makes you happy/displeased. Internet venting is a great way to deal with that, internet relationships brought to creepy life in roleplay for others to see and vomit over are not. Yea PM each other but 1x1 romance roleplay reminds me of the "hot chat" days of AOL. What country from you bb? NO!

In summation, the time it takes to role play well differs form person to person. With practise you can be a good as you want, you have all the potential inside your brain, with more experience you'll be a better writer so don't get frustrated when people lay down Daedalus style obstacles in the form of shit-talkery and hateraide. You stay the course and be rewarded . Best of luck.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Guerilla Role Play: A Guide

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Very well put together, dude; I gave it 5 stars.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dig17
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby {Awesome} on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Smokescreen wrote:not every player fancies him or herself Theseus ready to take the time to navigate the maze of words to discover a Minotaur so unremarkable that they feel cheated, several hours of their life they will never get back

OMG HOUSE OF LEAVES!!!!! Lol. :)

||Better Than You||

{Awesome}
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:14 am

{Awesome} wrote:
OMG HOUSE OF LEAVES!!!!! Lol. :)

House of Leaves you mean. And yes I love that book, it's a must-read

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!