Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Harbingers

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Harbingers

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Let's try this again shall we. When I first joined this site I put this Role Play up and it was doing well. Sadly, loss of my internet connection for an extended period pretty much killed it. I've since been a part of many Role Plays, but I always wanted to come back to this one. Life has a way of getting in the way though so it's been a rather slow journey. Like any reiteration of a previous role play of mine, this one comes with a re-imagining hopefully the people here will like it.

Here are some details and idea of what the RP will be like.

Harbingers: a selected group of Hunters and Slayers whose mission it is to hunt down and destroy the evils that plague this world; an elite fraternity of assassins of the supernatural.

(From the Helsing data files)
“According to legend, The Harbingers were formed in the Ancient World to fight off Demons, Vampires and the grotesque abominations created from the minds of men; the most notorious of which was the Lycanthrope. Blessed with extraordinary ability and supernatural talents, the very mention of their name could strike fear into not only the denizens of the great cities and villages, but into the very heart of darkness itself. They were the first and last line of defense against the terrors of the night; and then they were gone.” (Louis Van Helsing -1922)

Enemies

Vampires: A menacing race of blood suckers, with a bit of a god complex. Vampires believe they are divine and the next evolution of mankind. Over the years vampires have become the subject of legends; indeed many a tale has been told of their shape shifting powers granting them the ability to turn into mist, bats and wolves. These legends however are born of the vampires true power; the power of illusion. The mind of an average human being, while powerful, is often easily fooled. One might find themselves the unwitting victim believing them safe in the midday sun, when in fact they are enthralled and it is the middle of the night. Illusion is a powerful weapon, but what truly makes vampires frightening is their immense strength. Vampires know how strong they are and all to eager to display their power. They are sadistic, murderous creatures and a scourge to mankind and must be eliminated at all costs.

Vampires are not without their weaknesses. Ultraviolet light is often debilitating with minor exposure and fatal during prolonged periods. They are also susceptible to fire, decapitation and destruction of their heart. Another weakness or possibly a quirk is their need to be invited into someones dwelling. Perhaps they developed their powers of illusion to make entry into a victim's home a much easier task. Whether this is a mere quirk or not, there are rumors of vampires expiring when they entered a place uninvited. If one is cunning enough, this may be a viable defense against them. One must remain steadfast and strong of will lest they come under a vampire's spell.

It is important to note that destroying a vampire's heart is no easy task. Vampires are all to aware of their weaknesses and are often experts at protecting themselves. To top it off, adaptation has played its own role in their survival. The ribcage of a vampire is like a suit of armor, making it difficult to pierce the heart from the front or back without a suitable weapon or sufficient strength. Merely piercing the heart will not kill them however, but it will paralyze them. The heart must be cut in twain to insure destruction. In fact it was once common practice to remove the heart all together, but such practices are barbaric and hardly warranted.
:|=

Lycanthropes: Perhaps humanity's greatest folly; the Lycanthrope is a true abomination. Fear was the motivator to create this vile creature. Since the earliest times of humankind, it has been known that wolves are one of the animal kingdoms greatest hunters. They are cunning trackers and adept at luring prey into a trap, but above all; they are loyal. This loyalty made them the natural choice when a religious sect took it upon themselves to create the perfect vampire killing machine, they turned to forbidden, archaic, alchemical science. While the method has been lost to the sands of time, the result is a creature no longer human, nor are they wolf. It is believed that the original Lycans were volunteers believing they were fulfilling a divine duty. Whatever they believed at the time however, was lost the moment they transformed.

Popular literature would have us believe that Lycanthropes or Werewolves as they are commonly referred, are capable of living normal lives, save for once or twice a month when they go on a rampage as a blood thirsty beast. This sadly is a fairy tale and nothing more. Much like the Vampire, the Lycan is dammed the moment they experience the change. While classified as a virus, the elixir that created the Lycan is in fact a Mutagen. Once Mutation takes place, there is no going back. The mutation is excruciating to say the least. I don't believe it is possible to imagine what the victim goes through. When the change is happening, it often breeds resentment and anger towards those around it. It is in this maddening state that a Lycan will lash out, kill and in many cases devour anyone unfortunate enough to be in the way. Perhaps this is why the Lycanthrope is not as loyal as it was believed it would be.

It is important to note the that the mutagen can be canceled before the initial change sets in. It takes a gestation period of 30 days, or one month before it can affect. Once mutated however, the change is permanent. Lycans are most dangerous when they are new; perhaps driven by fear and confusion. They do eventually calm down though and are able to live their new existence away from those that would threaten it. Much like their ancestors, they have a pack mentality and the loyalties that go with it. They can not however, be domesticated. There is also the possibility of them becoming feral, which makes them a danger to Human and Vampire alike.

Lycans, like Vampires can be difficult to kill. The mutagen coursing through their system acts as a healing agent when wounded. If you can manage it, decapitation is the surest way to destroy them. However, given their agility and strength this is no easy task. According to legend however, Werewolves have a weakness to silver. This is one legend that indeed holds up. Silver seems to stop the mutagen in its tracts; meaning if you can introduce silver to a vital organ, such as the heart of the brain, it will die. The legend falls short however, when it comes to the method of delivery; sliver is much too soft a metal to be used as ballistic ordnance. Modern science however has made this feasible through the use of Silver Nitrate.
( Updated by Xander Helsing -1995)

(Unknown Author's Entry:)
While the above is true... for the most part; it should be noted that Truth is no match for Fiction. We are not evil. Vampires didn't create the plagues that ravage this world. Vampires didn't create WMDs. Vampires didn't create the monsters you call Lycans, nor did we create the serial killers you call Slayers. Furthermore, we do not kill our own kind. We have every right to live in this world as you do! If it is Evil you seek to end, then look at your self before you pass judgment.

Harbingers is a Role Play set in the modern world. The setting will be in the fictitious city of Pandora. The game play will be mission based or episodic; with a focus on character development. There will be an overall plot, but for now it's a secret and will be revealed little by little as the game progresses.(clues will be given in each chapter) For now just think of it as a baddie of the week...er chapter type of game.

Your role in this RP will be that of the Harbingers. Harbingers are made up of Hunters (Humans who took it upon themselves to rid the world of the evils that plague it) and Slayers. (Individuals born with extraordinary abilities that nearly match that of their prey)

Slayers are born with extraordinary abilities, granting them greater speed, agility, strength and heightened senses. They are every bit the match for your standard Vampire, but often need backup when dealing with four or more. Higher class Vampires and Lycanthropes are never taken on alone. Slayers are orphans and nearly all of them are adopted into Families within a secret society known as Watchers. A Watchers job is to raise and prepare Slayers for their future. An Ill trained Slayer is a dead one. However not all Watchers are tied to duty, some of them become true parents, in the vain hopes that their children can live normal lives. Sadly this never works out; as the gifts of the Slayer often make them social pariahs.

While Slayers may be born with extraordinary ability, it is unwise to underestimate Hunters. The very fact that they can fight against these creatures is worthy of admiration. Indeed, they are gifted; perhaps even in tune with the ethereal. Hunters are masters of survival and often an expert in one or more combat forms. They are well versed in the lore of their prey and often attack in groups with uncanny strategy. Hunters often need a boost when dealing with higher level encounters; ever resourceful they came up with an alchemical potion that does just that.
They call it Nocturne. A powerful drug that grants the user a temporary boost on the level of a Slayer. However, the drug is dangerous and can often have side effects that are detrimental to the psyche. The price for power is most often night terrors within an augmented reality. The more one uses the drug, the worse it gets, to top it off it is highly addictive.
Last edited by Dalmar on Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dalmar
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Harbingers

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Indeed. Thank you for expressing interest. With any luck we'll see more potential players before the week is up.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dalmar
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm

I don't have time to read every word at the moment, but after a cursory examination I can tell you I'm interested in joining you. Before I fully commit myself I want to see how my community workshop RP turns out on terms of player count. That will be going up in the next week or so.

As always, I am at your disposal if you want any help with managing this one.

Edit:

Finally got the time to read through your text, and my initial interest still holds. I do have a question, though: your Slayer thing is virtually identical to Joss Whedon's Buffyverse--was this intentional or coincidental? Seeing as how I'm a Buffy fan, I wouldn't hold it against you in the least, but I'm curious anyway.

O heart, lament not, for this world is only metaphorical.
O soul, grieve not, for this abode is only transient.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flieslikeabrick on Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 am

This looks awesome! I'd be willing to play a hunter if this goes any further.

flieslikeabrick
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Tue May 22, 2012 12:05 am

It'd be great to have you aboard Adam and any input you have would be valuable.

Glad to have another interest flieslikeabrick. Hopefully a few more will be piqued.

Dalmar
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue May 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Ah, excellent!

Consider another person added to the "interested parties" list, if you don't mind.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Wed May 23, 2012 1:40 am

Kuro, it will be awesome to have a fellow Scholar aboard.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flieslikeabrick on Wed May 23, 2012 12:16 pm

It's getting hot with all these Scholars around, I'm finding it hard to breathe. :)

flieslikeabrick
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Indeedy, Fiend! Scholar-five, which is like a regular high-five, only with more excellent nerdiness. I'm all for grit and morally-gray areas, and Dalmar's idea seems to have both in spades.

Not to worry, brick, we're good folk. Just inhale and exhale deeply a few times and you'll be right as rain.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Thu May 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Glad to have you aboard Kurokiku.

I've been fighting a bit of bug as of late, but I'd like to have the OOC/Signups up over the weekend.

Dalmar
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Fri May 25, 2012 2:30 am

Will you be using the roleplay system or sticking to the standard message board as usual? I have no preference anymore, but I was just wondering.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Fri May 25, 2012 3:40 am

I'm not sure really. While I like the concept of the roleplay system, my experience with it has not been a positive one. I may give it another shot though. I'll have to look over it again.

Dalmar
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Mon May 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Sorry about the delay guys. This bug was stronger then anticipated. I'll get the sign ups up by the end of the week health willing.

Dalmar
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Thu May 31, 2012 10:48 pm

Okay the signups are. You can find it Here
Look forward to seeing you guys there.

Dalmar
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:36 am

The link is slightly broken. It looks like you accidentally included the url tag in the hyperlink.

If you guys see this before Dalmar has a chance to fix it, just delete the last three letters in your address bar and reload, that'll get you to the RP.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flieslikeabrick on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Yay! I'll try to write a character this weekend.

flieslikeabrick
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!