Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Hello :) Errr... where am I?

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

Hello :) Errr... where am I?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:15 am

Hi everyone. I'm very new to role playing (so new that I haven't even started lol). This all seems so complicated, but I want to learn. There must be a forum for brand new role players, hey? Any idea on where or how I should start? Thanks for your patience :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Quantics
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Hello :) Errr... where am I?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Glory on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:23 am

Hey there, welcome to the site! I was pretty confused as well, but it's easy once you get to know your way around. Since you say you're new to roleplaying, I'm going to assume that you want the basics!

Roleplaying is basically collaborative story-telling, where two or more individuals attempt to make a story together as whichever characters they want to play as. Some people love fantasy, some people like doing fandom work, some go for realism, romance... the list goes on! Some enjoy RPing 1x1 (one person with one person), and some people would rather RP in groups. It's all about preference, and there a little something for everybody.

The tab system is unique to this site, and in my opinion it helps organize things immensely. Here is an example of what I'm talking about (copy and paste the link without the spaces. Sorry, I'm new here to post links!):
http:// www. roleplaygateway. com/roleplay/fukushima-high-3-0

When you open it, you'll notice the first tab you have open is the introduction. Like it implies, the introduction will show you what you could expect as far as story, rules, and characters.

The next tab at the top besides "Introduction" is "Characters" which list all the characters currently involved with the story. You can click on characters to read their bios. This is also the tab you use to create new characters if you have any interest in joining the RP. Usually the GM will have some sort of bio template for you to use on the introduction page.

I'm going to be honest, the places, groups, arcs, quests, activity, and chat tabs aren't used very much as I've seen, unless the RP involves a huge storyline and massive world building. The "Posting" tab is where the story is actually written down! Once accepted into the RP, you'll be able to post on that page.

The final page is the OOC tab, or "Out of Character", where the members of the RP can chat normally. It's usually a place to announce updates or discuss ideas.

If YOU have an idea for a RP, or would like to see others' ideas and perhaps get on board with them, you can visit the "Interest Check" forum! Go to Forum > Out of Character > Interest Check.

If you have an interest in finding an RP to join, a great place to start is the "Roleplayers Needed" forums right next to the Interest Check forum. Forum > Out of Character > Roleplayers Needed. As the title suggests, this is where GM's go when they want to advertise their own RP and gain the attention of potential players.

Sorry if that was a bit of reading lol. What kind of RP's would you be interested in doing?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Glory
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Recruiter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:05 am

Hey there.

Always good to see new faces, and new roleplayers. We all started out where you are at some time or another.

I would second Glory's question though as to what sort of roleplays you're interested in. I know a bunch of people are trying to get new players for the Multiverse RP which can be a good place for beginners given that it caters to a wide range of writing and experience levels. I'm not personally a fan of RPs that segregate the two because I find that the best way for new roleplayers to learn the ropes is by playing alongside experienced roleplayers.

If this might interest you let me know. I would be happy to give you a hand in getting in contact with some of the players there.
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:26 pm

That was so helpful! You guys are awesome haha. I'm still a bit afraid of being a noob in a group of experienced role players, but now I know where to start. I took a look at the Multiverse RP, and it looks like something I would be interested in. Also, I'm not very picky about the genre of RP.

Quantics
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:55 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about being inexperienced. The Multiverse definitely strongly caters to all experience levels. As long as you know how your shift key works, and where to put a period you'll fit in just fine.

I'll be a bit biased and recommend my Isiria stuff to you since you know, it's what I'm working on right now and we could use some new players.

isirian-news-t85575.html#p1914989

I started this thread yesterday which lists a few RP angles that are being explored out there right now. There's also a link in there to the Isiria group page which explains the nature of the region. If any of that stuff looks to be of any interest to you at all, let me know and I would be more than happy to help you get a character made and integrated into things. And try not to be overwhelmed by the quantity of information. I'm happy to take things at your pace until you're a bit more comfortable with the roleplaying system here. I certainly don't expect anyone to memorize every bit of lore right out the door.

If Isiria doesn't interest you, let me know and I can shoot you a list of players wanted threads that some other people have written up for other plots in the Multiverse.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Just finished reading and memorizing all the basics of Isiria. I'm very interested -- Sign me up :)

Quantics
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm glad to hear it!

Did any of the plot angles in particular catch your eye? And if you need any help in getting a character drawn up let me know.

Once you have a character done up, I can help ease you IC into things. I just need a rough idea of where you would like to jump in at.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:12 pm

The banishment of mutants and psionics caught my eye. Perhaps I could be one of the citizens who shelter mutants?

Quantics
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:19 pm

We have a lot of players tackling that angle right now, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding RP via that. I also have the Aschen Special Projects unit which is taking in captive mutants, so there's RP options for the mutants that get caught as well as the ones still at large.

Did you want your character on the registry herself, or just helping?

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Wow, so many options. Where can I find information on the Aschen Special Projects unit?

Sorry, what do you mean by the registry? lol

Quantics
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Ah sorry. In Isiria all supernaturals had to be registered. That's how the Aschen are finding them. They got ahold of the registry which conveniently has all their addresses. The reason I ask is that my cop character is about to bail on the raid going on in the city of Illumene. He'll have a van full of people that are supposed to be turned over to the Aschen that he's going to try and get off planet instead. If you wanted your character to be among them, it could lead into ongoing efforts on his/her part to shelter and assist others like them. Would be a good place to jump in.

As for the Special Projects Unit, I don't have anything written up for it yet that would be quick and easy to give to you. But basically it involves my character Kianna working at turning mutants into loyal soldiers of the Aschen Empire. Weaponizing them.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Oh, okay. I'll jump in to the story that has already been started if that's good with you. Can you link it to me? :)

Quantics
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Certainly. roleplay/the-multiverse/places/lakeside-district <-- That's where the raid is going on right now. I'll get a post up tomorrow with McKendry regarding the people in his van, and you can slot in there. That gives you some time to get a character drawn up as well. I would offer to start tonight, but I'm beat. Been RPing all day.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:55 pm

Awesome, thank you. I'll start on my character tomorrow.

Quantics
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Oh and just to clarify it will be a different van than the one Dayson was put in. Since that van was taken back to the Aschen already.

As for the character itself, the only request I would make is to lean towards genetic mutation/evolution style metaphysics rather than magic based. Magic isn't strongly prevalent in Isiria.

If you run into questions you need to know to make the character feel free to ask.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 am

Oh, and one final note before I head to bed.

I try to keep most of my stuff open-ended so that other players can contribute their own lore and development. I feel that players are more apt to getting invested in a story if they have some personal touch of their own in it. With that said you're free to come up with cultural groups, ethnicities, and even planets to support your character concept so long as they fit into the general atmosphere of Isiria. Isirian planets are as diverse as their people.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Okay, so I made my character. Is there a template you would like me to use?

Quantics
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Any template is fine by me. You should see some of my profiles. They're just a name and an avatar and all the information is in my head until I get attached to the character enough to start filling it out.

I just got home from classes so give me a bit to get settled in and I'll see if we can't get started :)

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quantics on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Okay :) no rush. I'll be back on after school tomorrow.

Quantics
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!