Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Help Wanted - Fantasy World

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Help Wanted - Fantasy World

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sat May 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some help in creating a comprehensive and interesting fantasy world. I would want to stray away from some of the more conventional fantasy elements and try and create something new and different.

My idea is that this world will be created by as many people as want input, and that we will all have the priviledge to criticise (with respect) each others ideas and proof read anything written to come to a collective conclusion.

The aim after this fantasy world has been created, would be to develop stories in it either in co-operation with other writers as a roleplaying story or individually, to then be compiled into a sort of collection of stories that others could read and enjoy. I touch upon here the idea of Sanctuary, a series of books compiled of short stories written by several authors.

The idea is that each writer uses the same invented world and basic background to write in, adding their own ideas where necessary and that writers can use characters, events and ideas from other writers freely as long as they do not:

â€ĸ Change the characters personality or irrevocably change something that would alter them.
â€ĸ Use the character in a manner that would very clearly not be within their personality or means.
â€ĸ Kill or bring to an end a character/event another writer has made.
â€ĸ Remove the character/event/idea from it's natural environment or the place the original creator had them, resulting in difficulty for the other writer in using that for their own stories.

Obviously, with permission, any of these conditions could be foregone but only with permission of the original creator of the idea. Ideas or events that completely changed elements of the world would have to be agreed upon by everyone. This is not to slow down the writing progress, but an OOC can be established where writers wanting to do this can perhaps forward a draft of the event and see what others think. Similarly if a writer wants to use another persons character in a very altering fashion they could send a draft of this to the person for approval.

Though Sanctuary is only a city, with surrounding world events only mentioned rather than expanded on or used in detail, I feel a whole world would work perfectly well, and events that change this world can be used and mentioned by later writers in a serial manner.

OOc Discussion thread
help-wanted-fantasy-world-discussion-t43639.html
Last edited by Wakboth on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the end seem to justify the means, you've tried too hard to find an excuse. When 'by any means necessary' means 'violence may become necessary' you've lost sight of your goal. When people lay down and die rather than endure any more suffering, worry for the state of humanity. When people do not comment on how wrong this is, become angry at the world, because feeling that upset is too hard to bare. When people say 'you care too much' don't answer, because there is no such thing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Re: Help Wanted - Fantasy World

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Sat May 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Sounds very interesting, I'm in. All stories must take place within the city of Sanctuary though? Is it a large city at least?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Sorry, I have made this sound over complicated. I intend for us to create a WORLD. Sanctuary is an already existing set of anthologies by various fantasy authors, set in that city. This was an example of the sort of idea I was aiming for, not where the stories will be as Sanctuary already exists and I have no desire to plagirise or imitate.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Ok, cool. Never read Sanctuary myself, I thought you wanted to call the city you were talking about Sanctuary. So then, we wouldn't be restricted to a single city, we could create and play in a much wider expanse?

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Yep. An entire world is what I plan for. If you have any ideas feel free to post up. I'm personally working on an idea for a group of Guardians/Knights who travel around watching/waiting for something important to happen. Possibly they guard the gates to another dimension if we have them. Or simply to locations important to their goals.

I think what I will do is create them, their culture, religion, order symbols, practices and higher ranking members and then when someone (possibly you Gabriel) has made something that fits with them I will say that is what they protect/watch. Or if not I will think of that too.

I will invent other things, but that's what I'm working on now.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm interested! Do you want only humans to inhabit this world, or do we have an entire plethora of creatures at our disposal? Do you have any ideas set in stone, or are we just starting from scratch?
"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." - Pablo Picasso

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Entirely from scratch, make any suggestions you want, it is for everyone to agree upon from now on! XD

I think other races or sentiences are fine, but should be done carefully and originally.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Okay. I'm excited for this! However, at such an early stage, I'm not sure what I can do to help...Shall I create a country or something, and then send it in to you to see what you think?

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr D on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:47 am

Wow, funny that I should stumble on this thread after being away for so long.

I actually began a similar thing here a while ago. (Though I already had alot of it written up, the idea was for people to add to the history and lore with their own ideas) Unfortunately it never took off.

Hopefully yours will be more succesful than mine. :D
There was a signature here.

It's gone now.

Mr D
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Yeah, sure thing Lady Velvet. Though my intention is everyone involved gets a creative decision on everyones ideas. This may seem strange, but it could work well.

Mr D, does that mean you're on board?

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Statement on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Creating stuff....creating whatever we want, right?....Whatever we want?

I'm in! Creating stuff is my second most loved daily function next to the famous past time breathing!

"The aim after this fantasy world has been created, would be to develop stories in it either in co-operation with other writers as a roleplaying story or individually, to then be compiled into a sort of collection of stories that others could read and enjoy"

Run this through me, I was pretty sure Role Playing was the co-operation of other writers to devolop an un-predictable or dominated outcome, unless of course it is rail roaded.

Statement
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Okay, well, I'll definitely be in on the conversations once that starts. You should make a Roleplay Tab soon so we can have an OOC board to discuss in. It looks like you're building up some interest.

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Indeed! I shall do so post haste.

And, Statemen: Yes indeed, but my point is that with this world people could either choose to roleplay together to make a story or simply write one themselves as an individual author.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!