Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

How much do you read?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

How much do you read?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby roleplay on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:42 pm

I'm just sort of curious about this. Can you list all the novels/novellas/whatevers you've read? Or if there are too many to recall, how about the number of authors whose fiction you've read?

Not counting stuff I was forced to read in school (mainly because I can't remember any of it), my reading has been limited to Terry Pratchett, Orson Scott Card, Mervyn Peake, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, Douglas Adams, J.R.R. Tolkien, Dan Brown (I fell for the hype. Oh well), and I've also failed to finish books by Anne Rice and David and Leigh Eddings.

It's probably a pretty pathetic range of authors compared to some people, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I started reading as a hobby. I may have to stop by the book recommendations thread once I've finished the two I'm working on now.
I'm a member of Roleplay Adventures.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

roleplay
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy

Re: How much do you read?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalorticus on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Hehe, I have way too many to list. Maybe I can list some when I have more time....
Please join my new role play, it's my first here. monster-hunter-t8736.html

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zalorticus
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ottoman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Okie day. You asked for it.
Here are the ones I can recall.

Dune,
Dune Messiah,
Children of Dune,
God Emperor of Dune,
Heretics of Dune,
Chapterhouse Dune,
Dune: Butlerian Jihad,
Dune: Machine Crusade,
Dune: Battle of Corrin,
Road to Dune,
Hunters of Dune,
Sandworms of Dune,(You think I like ther series? :) )
Brave New World,
Red Storm rising,
Cardinal of the Kremlin,
Hunt for the Red October,
The Communist Manifesto,
Aces against Japan,
Aces against Germany,
MiG-21 Fishbed Walk-Around Pat 1,
^ Part 2,
MiG-15 in action,
Bf-109E Walk-Around,
The Hobbit,
Krondor: the Betrayal,
The Sword of Shannara,
The Once and Future King,
and Salamandstron.

I would list authors, but I'd have to dig through my bookshelves. :D

Ottoman
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fractal Resonance on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 pm

I spend the better part of my time reading textbooks. Not exactly as satisfying as a novel, but, hey, whatever. As for what I've read in my life, couldn't list it. In the last two years I've only really read two things for reasons non-academic, those being "Flowers for Algernon" and "The Chrysalids." Now, I read "The Chrysalids" in school, but I totally got interested again for no good reason. And, funny thing is, I'm reading the school's copy because I "forgot" to return it.

Oops.

But at least I'm cool because I steal things, right?

Fractal Resonance
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tanitanaw on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:55 pm

Alright. Here it is...

Go ask Alice
Perks of Being a Wallfower (If you ever come across this book, read it.
Runaway
Whistling in the Dark
The Root Cellar
Kate
The Host
Eclipse
Twilight
New Moon
Wuthering Heights
The Harry Potter Series (The later books where waaaay better than the first ones, in my opinion.)
The Sky is Falling
Where the Heart Is (Cheesy title, but really amazing)
Lets Get Lost

Tanitanaw
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Melancholic on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Some Arthur Chapter Books,
For Pete's Sake,
Twilight,
New Moon,
Blue Bloods,
Feast Of Souls,
Bridge to Terabithia,
Because of Winn-Dixie,
Plenty of Goosebump Books,
Carrie,
The Mist,
The Host,
The First Harry Potter book,
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland,

and some other books too long ago that I can't remember @___@

Melancholic
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ottoman on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Whoops, I forgot some. :B

Dune: House Atreides,
Dune: House Harkonnen,
Dune: House Corrino,
The First Team,
Last of the Mohicans,
The Deerslayer,
The Pathfinder,
Holes,
and The Phantom Tollbooth(Quite an interesting read and take on words).

Ottoman
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:03 pm

Here ya go:

Almost all of the Discworld Series.
Everything by Douglas Adams.
The Harry Potter Series.
A large amount of Sci-Fi by various authors.
Some book that I can barely remember, It was very good, but I got at the library last year. It was Early 20th Century Fantasy.

Some other books that I didn't really like. Most were "For Teens".

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:09 pm

I cannot give you an accurate list as in my 41 years walking this earth, I have read more books than I can remember starting when I was seven years old. I can honestly say even now I read an average of three or four books at once. One fiction/non-fiction, one work-related, one science and one usually historical.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!