Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

~Inception vs. Avatar~

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

~Inception vs. Avatar~

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Hello! I’m here to find the answer to a question I’ve been pondering lately. Which was the better movie? Avatar (not the airbender) or Inception? Which one made people walk out thinking, “Oh hot damn. This is my jam - ” Well, something along those lines.

Now, let me put my thoughts out there real quick. I think Inception was better than Avatar. Avatar was visually stunning, yes. The affects, colors, and setting just blew my mind. I walked out of that theater with my head spinning from just how awesome it was. Then I realized I didn’t know any of the character’s names. I didn’t remember how certain characters died or what they did at a certain part. The plot just wasn’t so amazing that I went “Wow. I really loved this and I felt for them.”

But with Inception? I think it was both visually stunning and able to keep my mind into it at all times. My mind was going a million miles per hour when I walked out of that movie. I kept coming up with my own endings, couples (OMG. Squee!), and just imagining myself in the character’s places. Would I slowly loose my grip on reality? Could I handle a job like that? In the theater I was on the edge of my seat, praying they’d make it out okay. And when a character was harmed? Bleh. I found myself emotionally attached to them so I teared up. XD

In my opinion, sitting up for hours pouring over details of a plot rather than the effects shows a better movie. But I’m just a Dreamy. What do you all think?
The name seems rather ironic if I’m an insomniac, doesn’t it? :3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: ~Inception vs. Avatar~

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Avey on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Inception! Only because I only saw the beginning of Avatar. xD And Joseph Gordon Levitt (Arthur) is a cutie patootie! :P
After watching Inception I had this bug bite me, and it told me that I should get into acting as well, so Inception was my inspiration. And the scenes in the movie were actual sets that circled around so the scenes where it looked like anti gravity really weren't. Isn't that cool? xD And I feel like the plot was something that you actually had to pay attention to because if you weren't then you would have lost the 'sequence' of the dreams and missed out on something that was probably important.

Hell I would want a job like that Dreaming, although I would not want to get stuck in LIMBO cause that would suck ass. lol I think that at the end it was going to topple. . . ;P And some may agree with me or disagree and that is okay endings like that make me super happy because it leaves you guessing and thinking.

Did I mention Joseph Levitt is a cutie? xD

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Avey
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Tue May 10, 2011 11:50 am

Neither, both are completely overrated and overshadowing far superior movies such as Dark City, Paprika, Dances with Wolves and even Pochohontas. I've not seen Inception, but I've seen 1 and half hours of Avatar and it irritated me how blatantly it stole from other great movies. I can fully admit it was a milestone in 3D, but now there much better movies coming out that use 3D. Inception doesn't grab me and I only watched Avatar so I could talk about it without seeming like a hypocrite. Not making same mistake with Inception, there are movies more great and because these big budget quagmires of movies --- real gems are missed out.
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Tue May 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Rulke wrote:Neither, both are completely overrated and overshadowing far superior movies such as Dark City, Paprika, Dances with Wolves and even Pochohontas. I've not seen Inception, but I've seen 1 and half hours of Avatar and it irritated me how blatantly it stole from other great movies. I can fully admit it was a milestone in 3D, but now there much better movies coming out that use 3D. Inception doesn't grab me and I only watched Avatar so I could talk about it without seeming like a hypocrite. Not making same mistake with Inception, there are movies more great and because these big budget quagmires of movies --- real gems are missed out.

Your logic, or lack of it, astounds me. First you say "both are completely overrated and overshadowing far superior movies such as ...", then you say that you've never seen Inception. How can you say it's overrated if you've not seen it? And Pocahontas was a pretty shitty movie.

You say you won't see Inception because... it's too popular of a movie, with too big a budget? What? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Avatar didn't have the best plot or characters, but it was a great technical achievement and a feast for the eyes, and that's why I like it. Call me newfangled, but not every movie has to have a good plot to be good.
Alternative roleplaying forums, chat, and Etherpad

Fallacy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Fallacy wrote:
Rulke wrote:Neither, both are completely overrated and overshadowing far superior movies such as Dark City, Paprika, Dances with Wolves and even Pochohontas. I've not seen Inception, but I've seen 1 and half hours of Avatar and it irritated me how blatantly it stole from other great movies. I can fully admit it was a milestone in 3D, but now there much better movies coming out that use 3D. Inception doesn't grab me and I only watched Avatar so I could talk about it without seeming like a hypocrite. Not making same mistake with Inception, there are movies more great and because these big budget quagmires of movies --- real gems are missed out.

Your logic, or lack of it, astounds me. First you say "both are completely overrated and overshadowing far superior movies such as ...", then you say that you've never seen Inception. How can you say it's overrated if you've not seen it? And Pocahontas was a pretty shitty movie.

You say you won't see Inception because... it's too popular of a movie, with too big a budget? What? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Avatar didn't have the best plot or characters, but it was a great technical achievement and a feast for the eyes, and that's why I like it. Call me newfangled, but not every movie has to have a good plot to be good.

My logic is pretty sound actually, I'll not be fooled again into watching something like that again. I actually sat through 1 and half hours of Avatar and it just kept annoying me more and more. I admitted it was a milestone in 3D. I could watch Inception but I'm pretty sure it bother me as much as Avatar.

Also this debate is without purpose, the movies only have one thing in common Big Box Office successes. It would make more sense to compare movies of similar style and strengths.

Maybe one day I'll watch Inception, but I saw one I wanted to see Black Swan and loved it.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CortexiphanGirl on Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 pm

In my opinion, Inception is a far better film. It catered to my like of "mind-bending" films. For much of the same reasons Dreaming stated, I couldn't have picked Avatar. My main "beef" with that movie is: Wheelchair boy is given one task. To talk to the natives and get them to leave hometree so that Super-Duper Army Dude and Sniveling Businessman can harvest it. Which he never does. The Na'vi (I am unsure if that is the correct spelling) are never told that the humans are coming (until it's too late) or why. It doesn't make any sense to me in the simple plot line. Yes, the film was visually stunning, with beautiful music, but the plot seemed half-baked.

Inception, on the other hand, was visually stunning, had beautiful music, and the plot was interesting to say the least. You were able to get intimate with the main characters (in the psychological sense of the word, of course.) Inception is the type of movie that you want to watch over again as soon as it has ended to see what clues you've missed, or what details will lead you to those clues.

While it could prove "easier" to compare films of the same genre or style, I find this post hardly without purpose. Both of these films grossed large amounts of money when they debuted, so the question stands "Which one left audiences more satisfied." While their viewing population might vary slightly, most large box office hits appeal to the public where genre is of less importance than the larger umbrella-culture of movie-goers.

CortexiphanGirl
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sheoul on Sun May 15, 2011 4:28 am

Inception was a bog-standard action movie that got aboard the hype train, and became an incredibly pretentious ride. Rather than accepting its fate as a decent action flick with ever-so-tiny sci-fi elements in it, it decide to run around acting as if it had some incredible and deep meaning. God forbid if you should say it doesn't, because then you "just don't get it."

Avatar was just a way to show off how well 3D technology can actually work if done properly. But it was a decent movie. Enjoyable.

They're both just. Neither is special enough for me to really care about. It's not like The Matrix, or Blade Runner. Now those are movies that really know how to entertain and make you give a crap about the story rather than trying to run on the steam of an age-old formula, or trying to hide its lack of actual plot and character depth by being all "mysterious."

TLDR; We have to go derper.

Sheoul
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 pm

I thoroughtly enjoyed Inception. While I don't subscribe to the level of adoration that some people I know have showered upon it, I found it to be a generally smart and well written movie with a good soundtrack and solid acting across the board. There are some plot-based timing devices that simply don't add up, but I'm not going to get into the minutia of arguing pseudoscience in movies like that. Here's the long and the short of it -- If you like Christopher Nolan movies, you will not be disappointed by Inception at all.

I hate Avatar. I hate the extremely reliance on computers and CGI in movies today and this just...ugh. I hate it.

Finally, saying that you refuse to watch Inception because you didn't like part of Avatar is completely off-base when it comes to logic. There is absolutely no logic or sound reasoning in that. Other than the fact that the two movies had large budgets (which means nothing), they are in no way alike in any way, shape or form.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fixed.at.zero on Mon May 16, 2011 8:25 pm

I saw Inception as a first date and uh.. well neither of us knew what the hell happened when the movie was over. I did like that van taking like half the movie to fall into the water though; gave us something to laugh and joke about afterward.

I don't like movies that you have to pay attention to CONSTANTLY or else the whole thing goes over your head. I like to make commentary or get up for a snack or something, and still be able to come back and know what's going on. Never saw Avatar but it'd probably be better in my opinion just for that reason alone.

fixed.at.zero
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby A Rubber Chicken on Tue May 17, 2011 5:54 am

Going with the general concensus here, Inception was the far superior film. Yes, it got a lot of hype and everyone talked about how amazing it was for a while to the point that I really didn't want to go and see it either but I did go and see it in the end and I'm glad I did. Over-rated? Hardly.

It was everything a good film should be. It had deep characters, none of whom were perfect and none of whom had a revelation that changed them completely, or an unlikely destiny that you knew they would fulfill at the end such as happens in Avatar. It had a sound plot and intricate details that made you think, it had a thousand miles an hour of gripping, thought-provoking storytelling that could really leave you analysing the film without even meaning to. It had character flaws, personal conflicts, a thorough direction. It had a complex theory that was made easy to follow by clear visual differences (The different environments on each 'level') and an ambigous ending that left me screaming at the screen. It had a blink-and-you'll-miss-it rollercoaster feel that kept the viewer gripping the edge of their seats.

Avatar had pretty colours and a distinctly 'Sci-fi-Pocahontas' plot-line. 3D effects? Staggering. Quality of the movie? Not so good. The characters were walking (For the most part) cliches who did not have the extra third dimension that the visuals took. The ending was predictable and there was a sense of Deus Ex Machina to how the main character wins favour. I enjoyed it, I won't lie, but I enjoyed it in the way that a 4 year old enjoys looking through a kaleidoscope: "Ooh, look at the shiny, shiny." It was a bog-standard film about one man falling in love and changing himself a ridiculous amount in order to impress the lady. In essence, if broken down, it was a chick flick. With big, blue people.

The better film is down to individual interpretation but I feel that the only way I would choose Avatar is if I took some mind-bending hallucinagenic before watching.

A Rubber Chicken
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ChinaDoll on Sat May 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Both are decent films, visually stunning and such, but I'm more of a fan of Nolan than Cameron in general in terms of their filmography and I think overall I preferred Inception.

ChinaDoll
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby little luna on Tue May 31, 2011 11:36 pm

I thought Inception was awful. The premise was weird and oddly interesting, but how they utilized it just bombed. Having Ellen Page just cemented the failure. I don't think she has any business acting... ever.
The plot wasn't very driven. There was no real need for any of it to happen. Yeah, the concept was kind of cool, but the movie was overall just confusing and poorly made, I think.

I loved Avatar. It was like Fern Gully for adults, and that's a movie I remember fondly from childhood. The blue cat-people were pretty cool, and I really liked the landscapes. The scenery was really beautiful. The themes were relevant to today and portrayed a message that people need to hear, even if most probably thought it was clichéd.

Inception: C-

little luna
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!