Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A Literate Avatar: Last Airbender Roleplay

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

A Literate Avatar: Last Airbender Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 pm

The first time I saw Avatar: The Last Airbender, I expected to be underwhelmed. Modern cartoons are overstimulating and contain nothing but nonstop, numbing entertainment. I was shockingly surprised. I was wondering if there was any market out there for a literate, not necessarily plot-driven roleplay about Nickelodeon's Avatar.

Of a higher quality than any other Nickelodeon show I'd ever seen, Avatar has an easily grasped but still beautiful world of cultures, and even a few life lessons. Sure, the romance was predictable, and the "Violence is never the answer" theme was sort of a lie through the teeth, and yes, the elemental stereotype of fire bad water good was a little old, but look deeper.

The storyline details a few events from the history of Asia. The Dai Li and Lake Laogai represent a disturbed police state, the Fire Nation can represent the imperialistic ventures of Japan and the Western world on China. The Air Nomads summon up the image of Tibetan ideals. (Though, I think the Water tribes have more of a Native American feel, it's still wonderful how it all comes together)

I guess you could call it character driven, because I really wanted to focus on the prejudice which would hold society in the aftermath of the war, the slow re-establishment of destroyed cultures, the creation of new ones, and the general evolution of the world. I'm just wondering if anyone else would consider a roleplay (preferably small, 3-5 roleplayers), that is literate or semi-literate, detailing the training of the new avatar, a water tribe member, after the death of Aang. I don't really care about apocalyptic storylines or ancient cosmic conspiracies.

My idea centered mainly around a run-away avatar who meets a few choice but unruly friends. It would center more on the concept of a runaway youth in a world as well established as Avatar's, and then of course the slow healing of wounds after a war. No original characters.

So... troubled youth, slow but serene roleplay with a twinge of approaching darkness in the form of an imposter Avatar perhaps? I'd like to have the roleplay grow from the roleplayers.

I have a Sandbending character who I love. He is a very fluid character, and interested more in learning the interactions between elements and people than of the merchant's life his parents wanted. If someone else wanted to play an Earthbender, it would be a nice contrast. Of course, the Avatar would need a water-themed animal guide, roleplayed by whoever played the young avatar.

What I don't want to see is someone posting a character with a Japanese name who would belong in one of 8,000 animes (an artform, but just not true to the theme of Avatar). Avatar has a certain flavor that I'd like to capture. The unique but approachable cultures, all the fun of a good road story with dramatic western-elemental-stylized-kung-fu thrown in...

I'm not saying it's the greatest show ever, but I think it has heart. Again, I'd really like literacy, and preferably a group that could deal without an apocalyptic storyline, at least for the first half of the roleplay.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: A Literate Avatar: Last Airbender Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Destablization on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:29 am

Oh wow you've no idea how long I've wanted a slightly laid back Avatar Roleplay. I enjoyed the show immensely, especially the last season, and despite its childish nature, I agree strongly with the ideals presented, as well as the simplistic premise of the show.

I'd definately join, and I'd love to be an airbender, possibly one of the first to come out of hiding.

(Especially considering he'd need an airbending teacher anyways)
Hello. I am Destablization. If I posted in your Interest Check, please read the following.

I post using a phone. That means I can't do certain things.
I can't use the Roleplay Tab.
I can't use Chat.
I sometimes make small spelling mistakes.
-Roleplay Info-
I don't like being the center of a roleplay. I like being the side character. To me, they have true depth.
I don't mind dying in a roleplay.

That's all, and I hope we have fun together !

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Destablization
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Forum_Stalker on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:36 am

Mm, Avatar reeled me in once I saw the episode with that whole government conspiracy plot. Definitely not something I expected from a children's cartoon. What was it called again? The Earth King?

I guess you pretty much nailed what made Avatar such a favourite of mine, Oran, though I hardly knew myself, that was some interesting insight into the universe. Plus, I like where you're heading with this RP, I've never seen an RP that deals with the recovery from an apocalyptic scenario before, the ones I was in, it was always leading up to it.
The quality of my posts is inversely proportional to the number of role-plays I am currently in, which is 1.

Forum_Stalker
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DameonLG on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:37 am

I'd be very interested in this. I've tried it a couple times on an actual [url=http://theavatarrp.proboards.com/index.cgi]Avatar specialized forum[url]. It was fairly dead when I applied there though.

Confused Memories is an active Kingdom Hearts roleplay set 3 years after the events of KH2. It welcomes both original and canon characters, and has an active community with a friendly C-Box for members to chat between epic adventures!

DameonLG
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chris Crisis on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:34 pm

I am extremely interested. Avatar: The Last Airbender is possibly one of my favorite shows of all time and I've been looking for a chance to make a character. I loved the Earth bending and Air bending styles but I'd be willing to be the Avatar, too, and have to go through the ordeals of taking the entire weight of the world, more or less, then trying to escape from it. At least, that's what I gathered from your post. If either of these is acceptable and you decide to make it into a full blown role play I'd love to join.

Chris Crisis
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Ah! Awesome! I was hoping there would be some interest here. I'll make a sign up/OOC thread.

Or should I make a roleplay tab? It would be my first, but you have to learn sometime. Whatever you, the roleplayers, want.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lerro on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Hey if there is still room I'd like to get in on this. It's a brilliant idea, and I don't care what kind of bender I play as. I'll be happy to fill any role that's left over, if you still need some more roleplayers.
(\ /)
( . .)
(")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. He has a cameo on Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Lerro
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Forum_Stalker on Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:36 pm

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to try out the new roleplay tab system. So yeah, my vote's on that.

Forum_Stalker
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:27 pm

I'll start beginning to think about commencing... I don't want to mess anything up on this tab thing...

Anyway, do we have any takers for a young avatar from the water tribe? Someone with a little childhood angst and a lovable pet for transporation? Male or female, I don't care, North or South, I don't care...

And then... who wants what element? Remember that Airbenders were either recessive and taught by Aang, or the children of those who had been hiding for a hundred years, or had airbending energy-bent into them, and wouldn't exactly be at home with their power.

If I may... I call a sand bender...

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lerro on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:44 pm

I would like to be either a fire or sand bender, haven't decided yet. I'd rather not play as the avatar cuz I still don't understand everything about it, but if we have no takers I'll be willing to jump in and do it anyway.

My vote is we do the OOC thread. I won't complain much if we do the new tab thing, but it just seems really complicated to me

Lerro
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Destablization on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:36 pm

I've never used the tab, but I'm up for whatever. Thinking on it I'd like to be a >non-Avatar< waterbender.. just because the role of Avatar is a little too much for what I'm interested in...

Destablization
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:44 pm

I went with the RPG tab... feel free to post your bios. I'm open to your contributions as to what to do. We can always alternate between more laid back to more aggressive, I left the world open for that.

http://www.roleplaygateway.com/roleplay/weight-of-the-broken-world/

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chris Crisis on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:38 am

Mind if I make the Southern Water Tribe Avatar? I'd have to take a little bit to think of what to use as a guide but I'm sure I could come up with something after a wee bit of research. If that's alright with you, that is.

Chris Crisis
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Perceus500 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:34 am

You all do realize that he/she's asking us to do a 4-5 paragraph post for our characters. Not all of us are all that talented. I'd like to go into this RP but the expectancies are far too high.
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown

BUT!
It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and
Bitch slap that mother fucker upside the head.

Pass it on...

Perceus500
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Post length wasn't what I was referring to, Perceus500. I meant no one liners, some character depth. Since it's a laid back roleplay, I need the roleplayers to at least be competent, because a string of one line posts would be really boring if it wasn't, say, a battle scene. A book per paragraph isn't what I want either, since there's supposed to be some human interaction.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lerro on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Lol Perceus, if that's the kind of attitude you have I don't know how you do role plays. A really good role play needs good, detailed characters. Yeah, huge books are not needed but like Oran said, two lined posts aren't good either.

Personally, I'd rather have a 5-6 paragraph character sheet than anything else. But thats just me.

P.S. Your avatar is freaking awesome haha

Lerro
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Perceus500 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:15 am

Oran and Lerro (Can I call you Lerry?)

I do say that 5-6 paragraph characters kind of piss people off because people have to scroll and scroll to get it done and one-liners aren't what I was talking about! Literacy depends on the mind of the RPer and everyone is different. You can't expect every dumbfuck to know how to literally RP. Unfortunatley, I'm not talking about myself. Otherwise I'd pose a much better opposition. Frankly, I think the RP was a good idea. Also, I'm quite entitled to my own opinion. My opinion about Oran is:
a) You're lazy (Everywhere)
b) You have no good friends (In real life)
c) You need to get a life (DO IT)
d) Also, you need to think about having a semi-literate RP instead (No comment)
e) You think I'm being a bitch! (Well, I AM! Deal with it!)

Opinion about Lerry:
a) You like to side with GM's hoping that they'll be lenient about what you do (I know more than you think)
b) You have no sense of adventurous thinking (No comment)
c) You also need a life (Seriously! Find an RP not relating to childish cartoons)
d) Personally, I like you, but you're making it very hard. (Make it easier)
e) You think that I'm a huge liar and you have everything (Stated at A)

Perceus500
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:10 am

Sorry you feel that way Perceus.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lerro on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Lol, you are right that we can't expect every "dumbfuck" to know how to rp, which is precisely why I would make it a little more challenging to get into an rp. No one wants to do role plays with a dumbfuck, and (in my opinion) making people come up with good, detailed, possible long character sheets sort out the dumbfucks from the talented and literate role players.

And I completely understand where you're coming from, but you're wrong lol. Let me offer this as a rebuttal (idk what that means, heard it off of spondgebob).

a) You like to side with GM's hoping that they'll be lenient about what you do (I know more than you think)
c) You also need a life (Seriously! Find an RP not relating to childish cartoons)

Opinion about your opinion:
a) Honestly, i really did not know that Oran was a GM. Not really sure what lenient means, and I would be more than happy to side with you if you actually had any leverage to the argument you are creating. (You don't)
b) Who needs adventerous thinking when you have A.D.D.? (attention deficit disorder)
c) Lol, guess I should accept that advice from someone who would of done the same childish cartoon role play if it wasn't so "difficult" for said person to make a character (war-hell-t38494.html)
d) Lol, it's already easy, you just want it even easier. I'm really sorry, but not gunna happen. (cookie jar)
e) You would be correct sir (as stated in E)

Lerro
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chris Crisis on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

Perceus500 wrote:Oran and Lerro (Can I call you Lerry?)

I do say that 5-6 paragraph characters kind of piss people off because people have to scroll and scroll to get it done and one-liners aren't what I was talking about! Literacy depends on the mind of the RPer and everyone is different. You can't expect every dumbfuck to know how to literally RP. Unfortunatley, I'm not talking about myself. Otherwise I'd pose a much better opposition. Frankly, I think the RP was a good idea. Also, I'm quite entitled to my own opinion. My opinion about Oran is:
a) You're lazy (Everywhere)
b) You have no good friends (In real life)
c) You need to get a life (DO IT)
d) Also, you need to think about having a semi-literate RP instead (No comment)
e) You think I'm being a bitch! (Well, I AM! Deal with it!)

Opinion about Lerry:

So all of your argument is based purely on speculation about Orran and Lerro? Seriously, that was probably the absolute worst set of points to back up an argument I've ever read in my life and I've read some pretty terrible ones. You only tried to attack them as people rather than disagree with what they actually stated.

As far as role plays go, this one is actually pretty lax, like the first one I created on here. I hate to say it but it ended up in a lot of turmoil, disagreement, chaos, and eventually an end to the role play. The one I am making now is going to be extremely strict. Post lengths of at least 2 - 3 paragraphs, few to no grammatical mistakes, no spelling errors since there's a wonderful device known as spell check, sample posts before acceptance, posting at least once every other day, every third day if need be, etc etc etc.

Chris Crisis
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!