Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

mantiCORPS

mantiCORPS GEN OOC

a part of “mantiCORPS”, a fictional universe by Tartha.

Welcome to the between-session RP location for the Shadowrun game involving the runners of "mantaCORPS." - This roleplay is full.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “mantiCORPS”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

mantiCORPS GEN OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tartha on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:42 am

GM wrote:hey guys,

I just got the game started with Sidney as his Fixer, Anton, has contacted him with a Mr. Johnson who'd like to meet the crew. Sidney is going to send out an in-character e-mail in a bit. Let's try to stay in character in those emails and out in others. If you want to say something out of character, use parenthesis.

I'd like you all to think about some relationships you might have with other characters. If you have access to the Dungeon World rulebook, the relationship system in there is what I've got in mind. I'm open to suggestion as well, but since you all know each other and may have done runs with each other in the past, and are going to be doing runs together now, it makes sense that you should have some past experiences and opinions of each other. Let me know what you come up with.

I'll try to dig up the rules for the Dungeon World relationships when I get home, but I'm not going to do that at work.

William wrote:From my other experience using the convention of parenthesis for IC actions, (punches wall)(grimaces) for example, and brackets for OOC talk [lol seriously did you just say that?!?] works well. Then you also have ** and {} for other things if need be.

GM wrote:That's fine too. Let's use that.

Tartha wrote:Traditionally, as our resident online-rper, OOC chat is done with double brackets/parenthesis (()) or [[]]--since normal brackets are used for... You know, normal writing things. I'm only mentioning it because I was thinking of using brackets in my character's writing.

Sidney wrote:I second Tartha's motion.

GM wrote:Game is at 5:00pm on Sunday, but Kimiko might be late, and so prepare to just hang out if need be.
Game will be at Sidney's place (because Tartha's a butt).

William wrote:Sounds good on time and doubling for ooc stuff. Maybe use<<>> to avoid any confusion?

Kimiko wrote:They sent out the race schedule this evening. Assuming they stay on time, finals for me will be between 330-430 depending on how well (or poorly) we do.

GM wrote:Hey fyi all, Dante's has a Matrix host and broadcasts everyone that visits in sim in AR as well. You could all sim in and/or go in person as Johnson didn't request one or the other.

Tartha wrote:All sim all the time bro.

William wrote:totes in person, excuse to ride my bike

Sidney wrote:Oh. Having an otherwise dangerous meeting in simulspace would make *a lot* more sense. Lacking other information, I was just making shit up.

Also, I'm going to have to re-calibrate my expectations on this crap. The last time I played Shadowrun was 3rd edition, when there was little AR/sim stuff going on.

Tartha wrote:I was, of course, only referring to Principal. Ya'll are more than welcome to join me in sim, but I assumed that some of yea prefer your flesh bags.

Sidney wrote:Screw that. I'm not putting my life in danger for a meeting. This whole process is WAY less concerning now.

Also, GM, next time, if you could hit us with details like this a bit earlier in the process, that would be rad.

GM wrote:Yeah. Dante's Inferno is a place that's specifically addressed with that info in the book so I was just assuming you all would know, but that was a poor assumption.

Sidney wrote:Damn it, GM, you know I can't read!

GM wrote:Yeah well also I'm the only one with a paper copy of the book/who has had a chance to actually read the whole darned thing

Sidney wrote:Hahaha! It's all good. Just notes for the future.

I think it might be wise to assume none of us have ever played Shadowrun before and know the bare minimum about the setting.

GM wrote:So I'd like to set a time for us to do a chat room or a live forum thing where we can have the meet with Mr. Johnson online in preparation for Sunday's session, which will be the actual run. I know Kimiko is busy tonight(?) so will tomorrow at like 5:30ish work for people? Or give me a counteroffer. Should be a short event.

Sidney wrote:Tomorrow after 6 pm should be good for me. Maybe earlier depending on when I can escape from work.

William wrote:I am probably gonna be busy tomorrow evening

GM wrote:Alternately we may just have to do it tonight while Kimiko is Boating and chalk it up to early game stutters/Ivy doing her nails. I'd prefer not to do it Saturday and I'd like to keep Sunday just to the Run.

GM wrote:Also Sidney is the only one who has gotten me a character sheet. Get me your character sheets.

Sidney wrote:Again, here's a great Google Docs sheet (LINK).

Click that link and then make a copy for yourself.

Shadowrun has too much crap for paper sheets and Google Docs is super convenient for sharing with your GM.

Sidney wrote:Also, I'm cool with tonight as well. I think Kimiko's usually done with her boating by about 9-ish, right? So, we could theoretically do this later in the evening. But I guess that would write Tartha out. Hurm...

We could just have the conversation in person during Kimiko's party on Saturday night. I think we'll all be there.

GM wrote:I'm not a huge fan of that idea. But if everyone else would like to do that we can.

William wrote:I am busy tonight way late too

William wrote:Sorry for being so curt, I was in the middle of something and was just letting you know I was not here tonight. I can probably do something tomorrow if we do it late, like 9 or 10. Otherwise I am only "free" Saturday. I did not plan to have pre session things going on so I made plans with people.

Kimiko wrote:I am amenable to tonight (practice runs 8-9, so I'm usually home 930-945), or early tomorrow (I'm aiming for 50 hours this week, so I should be out of work as soon as I finish my 3:30 conference call), or anytime Sat. before the party (which is at 6 and y'all should be there).

Tartha wrote:Looks like it's not happening tonight? (I was just hassling GM, and he seemed to be leaning towards tomorrow--I'm fine with Saturday or tomorrow.)

We can have it after 9, but I will be mostly at work--although if the "session" is on a medium I can access with my phone I can check it out in-between buildings. /shrug

William wrote:I got home a little earlier than I expected if people can do it short notice now?

Kimiko wrote:I'm about and game if everyone else is

Sidney wrote:I'll be up for at least another half hour.

Kimiko wrote:Someone may have to poke GM

Tartha wrote:He was passed out in the floor in the living room when last I laid eyes on him.

Kimiko wrote:We've all given up hope and died now. Sorry. Game off.

GM wrote:Yeah sorry y'all, I had already written off last night on account of Tartha/William/Kimiko all having conflicts and Z$ probably not being able to do anything on short notice, and then I fell asleep at like 7 until like 2 am.

I'm thinking the original plan of tonight at 6 is going to be the best time to do it, since we'll have more of the crew. Another option is later tonight when William will be able to participate, but there's a good chance I'd be going out at some point and Tartha is at work, and also Z$ is likely to be heading to bed, so I'm not sure that that's a great option.

William wrote:Icebox would honestly be okay missing the meeting and/or forgetting about it/arriving late. If you wanted to wait until like 8 or 9 to start I could show up whenever I get home. Or I could call zombie queen afterwards for a tl;dr if Sidney/GM are up for it if you wanted to do the meeting at 6 or 7. He is kinda flakey in most things except when he is actually on the job so this would not be new or unexpected to miss something like this. "Ah sorry man, I was up till like 10am on cram with some trolls and this cute elf chick I met at a club, I totally just woke up at 10pm, whaddid i miss"

GM wrote:Oh, if you guys are going in in sim, you'll need a way to get sim going. The most common way to do that is using 'trodes hooked up to your commlink, and y'all will probably want a set of those eventually anyway. They'll set you back a few nuyen. Anybody who has a datajack can use that instead, of course.

GM wrote:I'm waiting to hear Tartha and Z$'s ideas about running the meet at 8 tonight so William can do it. I know that'll be a tight squeeze since Tartha has to leave at 8:45ish but I think it's our best chance to get everyone on board.

Sidney wrote:Yeah, you need a sim module for your commlink (100 nuyen) and either trodes (70 nuyen) or a datajack (1000 nuyen, 0.1 essence). Also, the setting flavor material strongly implies that you can go to an internet cafe and rent some sim time. Although, that would be ludicrously insecure and I have no idea what that would cost.

GM wrote:Thanks for finding that, Sidney. I don't have the ability to dig that stuff up easily at work right now.

Normally to get a nervous system implant, even a minor one like a datajack, takes some downtime to recover. But since this is our first run, if you decide you wanted to have one already that's fine with me. If you're not going to be doing serious Matrix work though trodes are a fine solution.

William wrote:Unrelated to meeting: I was finalizing my contacts last night and forgot what we already had. One of mine is a personal contact that will not have a lot of pull and one of mine is a chop shop owner/mechanic. I have one more available and was thinking an arms dealer unless we have enough then I could get a street doc or something else.

Sidney wrote:Also, it should be noted that sim is not the only (or even the most common) way to access the matrix. Daily use matrix surfing can be done entirely through augmented reality. For this, you need image link in your goggles/contacts/cyber eyes/whatever (price varies, but this is generally obligatory - in fact, if you don't have it, you take penalties in combat due to a lack of tactical awareness) and either AR Gloves (150 nuyen) or a datajack.

Regarding contacts, an arms dealer sounds like a good plan. I've got a fixer, a talismonger (magic doohickey salesman), a Koshari enforcer, and a crooked cop (Knight Errant pawn). Does someone have a street doc on their sheet?

GM wrote:I only have a list of Sidney's contacts since I Don't have everyone's character sheets yet (cough), so I can't answer that question by myself.

GM wrote:Yes. Everyone should be using AR all the time unless they have a good reason. In order to actually do a cold-sim transmission into Dante's Inferno without being there in person, you'll need trodes though.

William wrote:Kimiko probably makes the most sense to have a street doc since she is a cyborg combat monkey and will likely be the one needing doctor services most often

GM wrote:If we need to we can have Sunday be a group character finalization session and discussion of group dynamics rather than a run. We can also go over some setting stuff and get everyone on the same page. Or we can dive right in if y'all want.

William wrote:I am in favor of diving right in, the only reason you do not have my character sheet is because I am a jerk and have not filled it out online :p The numbers are all done. It will be in your inbox by the time you wake up tomorrow.

GM wrote:Oh don't sweat it. I'm just giving y'all a hard time. The reason I suggested possibly doing the creation session is to make sure we have each others' contacts, relationships with members of the team, etc. If you guys feel comfortable without the session for that then that's fine.

Kimiko wrote:I just have one question: WHO IS Z$?

GM wrote:Z$ is a cool guy! I thought everyone knew him actually. I also thought I spoke to the whole group about Z$ joining in before I invited him, so I'm sorry if I missed you on that, Kimiko.

He's a friend of mine (and others) who also grew up in Town. He won't be able to make every session so he is playing a Troll who has some serious time commitment problems what with his family needing a whole lot of attention.

He also has Hotmail and if it still works like it used to, he's getting every one of these e-mails as its own thing instead of as a conversation so he's probably sick of getting like 30 separate emails a day from all of us schmucks that mostly repeat the same things over and over with a couple additions. Sorry Z$!

Kimiko wrote:Oh. I just meant character-wise in this game. Toadie and Olive go way back. :)

GM wrote:Doh. I knew that.

Tartha wrote:Yo all!
I have a Doc contract, but I still need to finalize how good it is (looks like it might be Gold, but not platinum: so Kimiko, you still might want your own since the chances of you being mulchified are still fairly high).

My character hasn't been sent over because I still have shit to do and points to distribute.

William wrote:Doc Wagon contracts are something everyone should have (since they are non-transferable) and are to make sure a paramedic team is waiting outside the job when we drag your bleeding unconscious ass out of the building and cost money, a Street Doc contact is something we really only need one of between us who is a dude to pull bullets out of us and do cyberware maintenance in our downtime and are less tangible in cost besides taking up a NPC contact spot

Tartha wrote:Yeah, I was going to see if I could afford the Doc Wagon that covered up to 4 people, but it would be easier just for everyone to cover themselves. As I mentioned, I don't have any contacts yet--so we'll see how that goes. (...I think I'll need to buy contacts with extra points.)

GM wrote:OK so I'm thinking we'll have our chat on Steam this evening to simulate the meet. I'm looking for a more permanent host for the game but the ones I'm looking at right now all have a registration process and will require a little more effort for us to get set up so they're not ideal for running something in the next couple hours. Planning to have the meet at 8, hoping that William is done by then.

William wrote:Honestly Skype or a Google hangout would work well. If we really wanted to get fancy we could set up roll20 accounts.

GM wrote:Kimiko mentioned roll 20 but I haven't looked at it yet. I was trying to avoid things that had site registration for tonight and I don't see a distinct advantage to Google or Skype over steam unless we are doing video chat. Also I don't think Z$ has a Google account and I do not have Skype set up.

William wrote:Steam probably work s fine tonight but roll 20 moving forward would allow us to upload image files and whatnot so we can draw on them like plans collaboratively and have references. It would be a little more larp-y than we usually play but it sounds like that is what you are going for. You should check it out and see what you think for later dates. It's pretty user friendly.

Z$ wrote:I've been thinking about it a lot guys and I think I probably shouldn't hop on board the Shadowrun train with you all. The system is so cool and I've loved roleplaying with ya'll in the past so it's a bummer for me. But Day evenings are already kind of a bad time for me that I was gonna just make it work so I could hang with you all. But then I realized that this is probably going to be the norm for me. Just flaking out at the last minute for more sessions than not. That just makes for more complications than I'll be worth. Also it stresses me out to feel like I'm letting the group down whenever I can't make it!

It's been really fun reading everyone's in character stuff so far. The setting is awesome and you all look like you're gonna have a good group. Sorry to bail before it even starts and thanks a bunch for the invitation!

Also, the emails have been fun and not annoying at all. =)

Tartha wrote:Oh Z$, I'm so sad that you need to bow out, but I understand. /understands
Last edited by Tartha on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tartha
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: mantiCORPS

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tartha on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:02 am

We are weird.

Anyhow! The Forum is just about up and running. I made skeleton profiles for everyone: you just need to claim them (don't claim other people's characters--that's a butt move).

Let me know if you have any thoughts or concerns regarding layout (etc).

- - -

Also: when we get to playing, we should be able to use this RPs chat feature so that we don't have to forum RP (I know that there was some concern that, that was what we'd end up doing).

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tartha
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: mantiCORPS GEN OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raidose on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:53 pm

Damn. Shame this is private. A good SR game is something of a rarity these days. Oh well. Hope you don't mind an audience. Oh, and if I may ask, what edition you guys running? Based on the lack of Decks mentioned, I'm guessing 4e?

Good luck out there, chummers.
"Yes, I'm crazy, and I should hope you are, too. Honestly, it's all these damn "sane" people that scare me....."

Raidose
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Re: mantiCORPS GEN OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tartha on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Raidose wrote:Damn. Shame this is private. A good SR game is something of a rarity these days. Oh well. Hope you don't mind an audience. Oh, and if I may ask, what edition you guys running? Based on the lack of Decks mentioned, I'm guessing 4e?

Good luck out there, chummers.
We're running fifth, but most of us are accustomed to 4e (or have never played), so we're still transitioning. ^_^

I can't promise it'll be an interesting watch, but you're welcome to lurk if you'd like. :) Thanks for the luck! We'll need it. ;)

Tartha
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!