Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

modern magic RP

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

modern magic RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arch_Demon666 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:02 pm

I have this plot Idea that is a modern magic style of role play but still needs a little work... but here is what I got thus far.

"Magic is the physical embodiment of the spirit. When the physical spirit of an organism connects with the spiritual flow of nature, the spirit forms Magic as a product of the connection."

In an alternet reality much like are own in the year 2000 something that no one could ever thought of would happen. Humanity has re-discovered their magic after a secret cache of ancient spell books anf tomes where found. All around the world contries raced to get thier hads on some and deciphering the spells and potions in those spell books, and replacing variety of very crude and old fashioned ingredients and making magic work with modern technology. More and more books are being brought to the light everyday, but it seems about only ten percent of the world's population is able to use Magic, which is noted to keep a balance among ordinary people and those with Magic.

So are characters will be a running a business dealing with protection, bounty hunting, elimination of monsters and etc.As the story goes on I want them to falling into something that is much over their heads.

I don't have any roles at this point of the characters to fill but if needed I could make a few

if you want in let me know
Last edited by Arch_Demon666 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[center]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Arch_Demon666
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: modern magic RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkCookie97 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:20 am

I would really like to be involved in this however I think you need to think more about what the characters are going to be doing and who they will be.
Louder Than God's Revolver And Twice As Shiny
~What I Am Listening To~
Crush On You - Nero

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DarkCookie97
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arch_Demon666 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm

I have added more info for yah

Arch_Demon666
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkCookie97 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 pm

I think having a character who is new to the team would be pretty fun. IF this is a possibility I would probably like to play this character.

DarkCookie97
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arch_Demon666 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

its yours

Arch_Demon666
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spartan322 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:33 am

This sounds interesting. If you tell us more about the plot and the characters in general, I might join.
Will you be able to make only a character that is in the business, or will it be possible to make characters that just are by themselves?

spartan322
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkCookie97 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:52 am

Just as I suggestion, I think this roleplay may work out better with a smaller group, (maybe 4-6 characters) to help keep the vibe of a small team working together.

DarkCookie97
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arch_Demon666 on Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 pm

@ DarkCookie97 yah the 4-6 character limit would be best I think as well.

@ spartan322 the character are all going to be part of the business and will live in the second and third floors. This way none of the characters will left out when it come to the day to day life and what not.

I want to start us off with a mission that takes a complete turn around, form easy job to fight for their lives. with several more tasks that will lead to a final show down with a faction of black magic users, this will be the main catalyst for the end of the RP. A lot will be decided on what the characters doing and what we decide on as a group. I really want everyone to have a part in the make of so that everyone can really feel

Do not want to give more than this so to keep the Game fun and to keep everyone guessing what might happen next. Hope this will do for now I am still working on a lot of it as we speak. If you have any Ideas for the plot, I would not mind the help. :D

Arch_Demon666
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkCookie97 on Thu May 16, 2013 3:42 pm

What kinda system will the magic run on? For example will there be categories of magic that each character may specialize in or will very spell be completely separate?

DarkCookie97
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arch_Demon666 on Thu May 16, 2013 5:39 pm

lets see.... I guess that it would be more of several different styles of magic the your character could choose from. The characters could learn multiple styles of Magic, but it is noteworthy that many Mages have natural affinities for their own Magic style.

The magic style splits into two different categories

Holder Magic: is Magic that requires a Mage to use an external magic source to produce the Magic. It is an easier way for the user to cast their magic. this style has a quicker casting time with no need to invoke a spell, but the spells have a lower damage rate.

Caster Magic: is one of the two main types of Magic. It is Magic that is expelled from the body as opposed to Magic done through a weapon or outside source. this style of magic is slower, because the caster needs time to invoke the spells it self, the spells range on damage rating.

Does this help

Arch_Demon666
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spartan322 on Thu May 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Well, this sounds about right, you can count me in.

About the magic, I would like to recommend a system used in "Skulduggery Pleasant" in which there are two types of magic.

Elemental: Self explanatory, the user can use fire, water, air and rock spells. Things like throwing fireballs, being able to use the wind to push or pull things, condensing water from the air, or turning oneself into a statue as defense for a random amount of time. The user can chose to learn of all of them, or try to master one in particular.

Adept: This is anything that is not elemental, however, unlike elemental magic, the user can only choose one discipline in adept magic. This can be anything, ranging from being able to walk on walls, cause pain just by touching a person, mind reading, necromancy (this is being able to control shadows, however all the power is concentrated on the user's weapon) and more.

None of them need spells or a magic source (except necromancy), just the user to be able to use magic and train as if it were any other physical activity.

I just took this right of from the books, but we could tweak them so that they are more original. We could mix this and your system to make something different. I don't really like the chanting spells system, I feel like the power from a Mage comes from the mage himself and not another source.

This is just an idea that I though I might share.

spartan322
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arch_Demon666 on Thu May 16, 2013 6:15 pm

So Adept would take care of Protection, Conjuration, enchantment, healing, Illusion, creation magic's, Right?

Sorry just trying to make sure that I'm understanding this right, I'm half asleep right now...

Arch_Demon666
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spartan322 on Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Yeah, pretty much. If it is not something that has to do with fire, air, water or earth, then it is adept. Unlike elemental magic which is a general thing, Adept is more of a specific thing.

If you want to know more, read "skulduggery pleasant", or just check the wiki, I think there is info about magic types there.

spartan322
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkCookie97 on Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 am

Has anyone seen Code Geass? I was wondering if my character could have a power similar to Geass, where the user can make others follow there orders. This does come with downsides, the main one being that it can only be used once per person but it could also be very taxing on the body. This would be his main magical ability and would come under the Adept type, should we choose to use that system.

DarkCookie97
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spartan322 on Fri May 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Yeah, that would be considered an adept practice. Aside from having their main practice, adepts magic has branches in which other smaller powers appear. A walk runner would be able to open locks using magic, a necromancer would be able to use shadows to be able to teleport a few meters, and things like that.

The power you said should be nerfed a little. Making it be taxing is a lame downside since you can always make it so that your character "uses a lot of effort to maintain it" and make it last as long as needed. Maybe make it so that aside from being able to use it on one persona at a time, the stronger the person is, magically speaking, the harder it is. A normal human could be controlled easily and for long periods of times. A starting sorcerer would last a little less, and "cut off" little times. An advanced sorcerer would be difficult to control and would cut off from the control various time, and a very powerful one would only be controlled for minutes if not second since they would fight the magic and break free.

I really like this elemental, adept system since it allows you to pretty much come up with any power you want and still make sense in the magic world.

spartan322
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkCookie97 on Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

spartan322 wrote:The power you said should be nerfed a little. Making it be taxing is a lame downside since you can always make it so that your character "uses a lot of effort to maintain it" and make it last as long as needed. Maybe make it so that aside from being able to use it on one persona at a time, the stronger the person is, magically speaking, the harder it is. A normal human could be controlled easily and for long periods of times. A starting sorcerer would last a little less, and "cut off" little times. An advanced sorcerer would be difficult to control and would cut off from the control various time, and a very powerful one would only be controlled for minutes if not second since they would fight the magic and break free.

I didn't make myself clear at all, sorry. I wrote that post before I went to school so was in a bit of a rush.

Firstly, by once per person I actually meant that if you were to use it on someone you could never use it on that one person ever again. Also, the power is not controlling the person as such, more of issuing one command that the person follows out as soon as possible. How much of a strain it puts on the user could depend on what command is used, meaning a command to commit suicide could make the user instantly pass out or have a heart attack but a command to say something may not have any effect on the user. Another downside is that eye-contact must be present while issuing the command, meaning something as simple as a contact lens could stop it from working.

I hope that made more sense but just ask if you want me to clear anything up.

DarkCookie97
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spartan322 on Fri May 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Oh, OH! Yeah, that clears it up. I'd say that is a pretty cool and balanced power.

spartan322
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkCookie97 on Fri May 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I guess now I just need Arch's approval and the power will be a go.

DarkCookie97
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arch_Demon666 on Fri May 17, 2013 2:30 pm

I shall approve your power and I have made the choice to use the system that Spartan has shown me... with some adjustments.

Arch_Demon666
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby R.T.M.X. on Sat May 18, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm interested. What's your thoughts about blood or chaos magic, though.
I am not 『ins△ne.』
I am just extremely 『dedica̷t̴e̶d̷』
to the act of losing my 『ḿ̸̘͜͠ì̵͉͗n̴͓̝̚ḏ̴͈͋̿.』

R.T.M.X.
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Streamwatcher Beta Tester Lifegiver Giver Visual Appeal

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!